• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want Fromsoft to stick to open world or go back to interconnected-linear?

Do you prefer for them to stick to open world or go back to linear style games?

• Yes, bring on the new open world order of Miyazaki games

Votes: 118 52.7%
  • Naw, Give me that metroidvania-ness the studios known for

Votes: 106 47.3%

• Total voters
I really liked Elden Ring and its def going to end up as one of my favorite games but I can’t say i prefer the open world aspect versus the traditional well built interconnected maps. I feel like Dark Souls 1 had the best map, it allowed you to in a bunch of different directions so it felt open but it didn’t have that feeling of “filler” that Elden Ring has.

My favorite parts of Elden Ring were the legacy dungeons, Raya Lucaria Academy, Leyndell, Stormveil castle, Hagiltree, etc. The catacombs, caves, tombs, and a lot of the open world didn’t really do a lot to add to the game imo

Once you see a lot of the big surprises in limgrave (big dragon dropping on you, wolves ambushing you, giants shooting at you) and first going to Caelid, theres not really a lot of surprises left. You end up fighting a lot of dragons and giants in this game.

I feel like with the success of Elden Ring they are gonna go balls deep in sequels like dark souls, which makes sense. It would be dumb for them to drop this now but its gonna be sad to see From turn into another open world studio. It would be ideal if they could split into two teams but theres only one Miyazaki so thats not likely.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Codes 208

The interconnected pathways kinda felt like a unique take on metroidvanias, which is still my general preference.

But elden ring makes open world work beautifully, so both. Depending.

I want elden ring 2 to continue being open world but i would prefer a series like sekiro or bloodborne to keep their branching pathways

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I'm conflicted on it. Gonna have to go with both. I don't know how much effort it took to create Elden Ring but I would imagine it was a lot more than the previous titles. I wouldn't expect it more than once every 6-8 years.

LavosBit

Neo Member
I would be ok with a happy medium between the two. As good as Elden Ring is, it’s almost too big, and the repeated assets start to stick out after awhile.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
There's no going back from open world. These kinds of games do way better on the market financially.

(I'll bet Naughty Dogs new IP is open world)

Before Elden Ring, I would have definitely keep the tight level design of their previous Soulsborne games. But, Elden Ring did what I thought was impossible - make a meaningful open-world to explore AND keep the tight level designs of their previous games.

Absolutely would love another game on the scope of Elden Ring.

Bartski

Gold Member
They're developing Armored Core which seems like a good match with large open spaces... I still hope they make another tighter, smaller more linear banger new IP before Elden Ring 2.

Aesius

Before Elden Ring, I would have definitely keep the tight level design of their previous Soulsborne games. But, Elden Ring did what I thought was impossible - make a meaningful open-world to explore AND keep the tight level designs of their previous games.

Absolutely would love another game on the scope of Elden Ring.
Yeah, you have what is nearly the entire scope of previous FromSoft games in just the legacy dungeons in Elden Ring. And then you have a crap-ton of semi-legacy dungeons to explore, plus a bunch of smaller catacombs, caves, tombs, outdoor areas, etc.

RafterXL

We'll probably end up getting both, but if I had to choose I'd say open world. Elden Ring has all the things that made the more linear games great, it just also has a vast open world overlay.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I like them both...

But I think probably Bloodborne style, it's more fun to me.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I'd like to see a compromise. Have the game contain open areas like Elden Ring, but when you enter a castle or dungeon, set it up in the old labyrinth-like structure of Bloodborne with intricate crossing paths to open and navigate.

Esca

I probably wouldn't bother with another open world souls. I prefer it like their previous games. I'm finding elden ring to be highly overrated currently as I play it.

Open world from now on...157 hours in and just got through the mountain area. Put more into elden ring in a month than I did bloodborne in 7 years...keep giving me these dense ass open world games Miyazaki...you made the greatest game ever...don't go back.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
This game builds on everything they have done in the past, the next game should build on this one as well. If ER2 wasn't open world.....WE RIOT!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
They never quite hit the highs of ds1 again in level design. I haven’t played it in year and know the layout of that entire game like the back of my hand.

Either way we are getting more Elden Ring after those sales numbers.

I want BloodBorne 2 and Sekiro 2, even if they have to be PS5 and Xbox exclusives respectively. But I’m guessing Elden Ring 2 is probably going to be seen as the more profitable venture.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
As much as I love Elden Ring so far, I'm going to say once again that I prefer Bloodborne's tight design and atomosphere on the one side, and prefer BOTW's traversal and exploration on the other side. Elden Ring is amazing at combining them but can't quite overtake either of them on their own turf.

TonyK

I choose return to linear because even if I love Elden Ring and I think it's his best game, the parts I enjoy most are the linear ones (Stormveil castle, etc...), not the open world areas, that I feel more like empty space I must explore to progress to next big linear area.

Top Bottom