• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want an open-world Sekiro game?

NinjaBoiX

No. I want FROM to do new IPs with ultra punishing difficulty focused on refined combat mechanics as they did in Sekiro, rather than going for expanding existing systems on large scale.

This is not to say I wouldn't be happy to hear they are making one, but I'd be happier with a current-gen linear sequel before their next open-world giant, Elden Ring 2 or whatever that is.
Why?

Why do you want it to be “ultra punishing”? Just have a solid challenge, I don’t get this fascination with making games incredibly difficult.

I think I’d have enjoyed Elden Ring more if it wasn’t quite as difficult to be fair. Some of those bosses with enormous health bars, seemingly infinite stamina and attacks that can one shot you are just irritating to fight imo. I just summon help so I can get back to the fun part of making my way around the world.

No. We already have too many open world games and a game as difficult and ultra punishing as Sekiro doesn’t need an, 100 hour length with bloated side quests everywhere. I’m good with the way it is.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

No thank you. Sekiro is Sekiro and its fundamentals would be impacted if it became an open world. The vertical level design w/ the usual hub style is how it should remain. It would kill the flow of Sekiro's combat structure, its world design and tight story would probably have to change.

Speaking of which, hurry up Sekiro 2!

TagZ

Why?

Why do you want it to be “ultra punishing”? Just have a solid challenge, I don’t get this fascination with making games incredibly difficult.

I think I’d have enjoyed Elden Ring more if it wasn’t quite as difficult to be fair. Some of those bosses with enormous health bars, seemingly infinite stamina and attacks that can one shot you are just irritating to fight imo. I just summon help so I can get back to the fun part of making my way around the world.
Elden Ring was "difficult"? I thought the game was an absolute joke and didn't have to learn a single boss. Probably 1 shot 95% of the bosses with zero rune farming.

Sekiro was an actual challenge, required learning/studying your opponents and correct usage of your tools. That's the experience I want again 😢.

Personally thought Elden Ring was hella disappointing in comparison. Broken quests in a single player game gtfo.

Bartski

Gold Member
Why?

"Ultra punishing" by today's AAA standards, that's all it means - a solid challenge.
I like it. And no other top dev will ever go there, that would be the reason why.

Hey Blinkin

How does a linear approach seem more daunting than an open world..?

Well, at least for me, the thought of running into a tough boss/section in a linear game in the souls genre is daunting because the only way to level up is to keep beating your head against the wall or back track.

At least with an open world environment, I feel like I have numerous options to level up in order to get past a difficult section.

Because of Elden Ring, I've actually considered playing Sekiro when I'm finished. I would still play an open world samurai game by FromSoftware.

MiguelItUp

I wouldn't mind it, but I don't know if I'd WANT it. Sekiro just felt perfect the way it was, the gameplay and everything. I feel like I'd want an open world Bloodborne game over an open world Sekiro game TBH.

Nah. Think Seikiro worked really well in a somewhat linear format, and I do not really see the appeal of making it this huge open world game. Plus It's not really a good fit for openworld, seeing as you use the same sword and don't have much build variety (skill based combat)... Not sure what they could populate this big world with (katana skins ?).

Would rather have them work on a Bloodborne spiritual successor with more build variety and a larger world to explore. Not exactly a direct sequel, but another lovecraftian gothic horror game involving new cosmic horrors. Again probably not as big as Elden Ring, but basically a larger sequel.

KXVXII9X

Please no. Unpopular Opinion, but one of the reasons I didn't enjoy Elden Ring as much was due to it being open world. Not everything needs to be open world.

The reason Sekiro works better for me is due to how focused the game design is.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yes but you have to adjust the game for it.

No more mono weapon and loot that is not that useful.

Not sure if they can balance that.

I'm perfectly ok with sandboxy sekiro 2.

Last edited:

Mess

No.

Sekiro is all about that tight, focused experience and I don't see it translate well to open world. I loved Elden Ring but would hate it if all FromSoft games were openworld from now on.

lyan

Well, at least for me, the thought of running into a tough boss/section in a linear game in the souls genre is daunting because the only way to level up is to keep beating your head against the wall or back track.

At least with an open world environment, I feel like I have numerous options to level up in order to get past a difficult section.

Because of Elden Ring, I've actually considered playing Sekiro when I'm finished. I would still play an open world samurai game by FromSoftware.
You can do that in 3 of the 4 souls games for the most part.

Astral Dog

this may not be my place but i couldn't even stand open world Souls Ring, feels like 'open world' has almost become this overrated 'genre' that gets valued over streamlined design by gamer critics and i don't like, im the weirdo who prefers the likes of Bloodborne, DarkSouls 3,RE7,Mario Galaxy2/Mario 3D World, Arkham City(wich is far less open than the sequels and a nice balance) etc.

over the open filler games, they tend to have tedious design choices to waste time, but maybe im just getting old just don't think game is instantly better because its open

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
Im good with FROM having one mainline open world game.
As much as I am loving Elden Ring, I prefer tighter, linear experiences. Replayability is a big thing for me so a shorter experience (especially FROMs design) just makes more sense to me.

Top Bottom