• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you use Apple Pay?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Today I was in Target and finally setup Apple Pay on my phone, then bought a 2022 planner. It was pretty cool to just pull out my phone and pay with that, instead of pulling out my wallet, then grabbing the debit card, then paying. However, most of the places where I would like to use Apple Pay still don't accept it:

Gas Stations - Race Track, Quick Trip, Walmart pumps
Grocery Stores - Kroger, Walmart, TomThumb

Lots of restaurants accept it though. What about you guys... do you use Apple Pay on a regular basis?

Alx

Nope. It's not harder to pull out my credit card than my phone, and I don't need to go through a third party to monitor my payments (in addition to the bank, obviously).

greyshark

I use it at the grocery store. I think I’d use it more if not for COVID making Face ID a pain to use now.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Of course I do. Take the phone, tap twice the side button, look at it and I am ready to pay.
I find the support on wending machines better than it was on my android phone (oneplus 7t).
And I like that nfc tag is at the top of the phone.

Thaedolus

Every once in a while. The credit card I have it linked to is NFC and stored in my phone case with my ID though, so it's almost more of a hassle to check if they accept it and then FaceID and tap than it is to just push out the card and tap or insert. It has saved my ass a couple times when I've forgotten my wallet in my truck before I had the card holder case.

TDiddyLive

However, most of the places where I would like to use Apple Pay still don't accept it:

Gas Stations - Race Track, Quick Trip, Walmart pumps
Grocery Stores - Kroger, Walmart, TomThumb
Are you sure about that? If they take NFC then they take Apple Pay. I’ve used it at Walmart and multiple gas stations. I’ve also used it at Ralph’s, which is Kroger out here.

dorkimoe

Yup. Wish more people would get their act together and use it too. Left my wallet at home once getting groceries and had to leave the cart full and go home and get it because they didnt take it.

Also wish people would setup Apple cash on their phones so i can send money easier

WoodyStare

Yes. Works well with the phone, but it’s much easier with the watch, and doesn’t require Face ID or typing a passcode.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
Works at 100% of the places I’ve been.
Australia has allowed tapping for a very very long time.

I love my watch too because I don’t carry my phone on a run so I can use it to buy a drink afterwards.

RPS37

I like paying for things with my watch. Makes me feel like I’m Justin Timberlake in the movie In Time.

Mistake

I don’t expect everyone to have it where I am, and some places give discounts with cash, so no. If I lived in the city I’d probably use it

ManaByte

Nope. It's not harder to pull out my credit card than my phone, and I don't need to go through a third party to monitor my payments (in addition to the bank, obviously).
Apple/Google/Samsung pay is more secure than swiping your card. It generates a one time use number for the retailer to auth your card. Your number can’t be swiped by skimmers then.

Alx

Apple/Google/Samsung pay is more secure than swiping your card. It generates a one time use number for the retailer to auth your card. Your number can’t be swiped by skimmers then.
We all have chip-based cards since the 80s over here. No swiping.

nocsi

We all have chip-based cards since the 80s over here. No swiping.
There are camera based skimmers… and I live in Seattle where Apple Pay is everywhere, there’s no reason not to be using it since it’s a double tap on the watch

physically not often. i have an iphone with my cards in apple pay but i usually just use the NFC chip on my card or stick the card in the machine then enter my PIN. the odd time i'll remember i can use my phone and i will. i am trying to use it more often though and not rely on my wallet as much.

most of my apple pay use is when buying stuff through the appstore, an app, or a website that offers Apple Pay. it's much quicker to do that than enter my details all the time. i do have paypal but very rarely use it.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yes I use it everyday as after Covid cash pretty much disappeared so Apple Pay is accepted everywhere at least in the capital.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Rarely
Paying with card by scanning is just as easy without having to whip out your phone all the time.

I have an Android phone that supports tap to pay. It works everywhere, because it just functions exactly like a bank card. No external 3rd party is involved.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Apple pay, bitcoin is the smart way to pay, really great however it signals changing the age old currency that's been around since ancient egpyt. Physical money does a great job,

Susurrus

I use GPay and have been for years. I set it up when I was stationed in Germany. Best part of it was since like most US credit cards, mine were/are chip+sign, whereas most cards in Europe as a whole are chip+pin, so most places (especially away from the base) were caught off guard with my having to sign; I started using GPay and never an issue since none of that is necessary if their system is set up properly, which there they all were. Also, some vending machines and the Sanifair toilets where you gotta pay with either coin or NFC, it is really nice when you gotta pee and don't have any Euro coins on you.

I've since returned to the US a couple years ago, and still use it most of the time, but we have a long way to go for acceptance meaning I can't just leave my cards at home. Walmart trying to do their own crap w/ the QR code. Most gas station NFC readers don't function properly. A few grocery chains don't accept it (Harris Teeter I found out, though I usually do Safeway which does accept it). The whole restaurants taking your card and swiping it instead of bringing the reader to the table deal. Other random stores just not taking it. The situation with COVID and everyone trying to find cleaner methods helped a lot, but we're still not there. Even places where you can use it, are often not set up for mobile wallets and just NFC cards that happen to work, so you still have to sign shit is a bit annoying.

Super convenient, pop out my phone, unlock it with my fingerprint, and put it over the reader. Especially when I'm holding something, like my kid, in one hand. Not to mention they're way more secure than a card. I know we are (mostly...sigh) moved away from the magnetic strip, and chip or even NFC can't be skimmed so easily, but if someone takes your card they have full access to it. I lock my phone so nobody is stealing shit off there or using it to pay unless they steal my finger, too, and mobile wallets use 1-time tokens so even if someone does manage to skim it, good luck using an already used single use token.

I realize Google is getting the data off it, and frankly, idgaf. I don't have to pay to use the service, and they get their data that one of their millions of customers went to Shell, Safeway, and Panda Express, oh well.

Most importantly, I still get my credit card points and it shows up on my account as if I used a physical card.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Yes, helps you check out faster when trying to grab a ps5 or graphics card online.

Top Bottom