• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Ubisoft will return to Steam?

Gamezone

Gold Member
It sure seems like they left when everyone else are embracing Steam.

- EA returned with EA Play and pretty much their entire library.

- Microsoft going all in with a rumored upcoming Gamepass release on Steam.

- Even Microsoft's old games are doing very well on Steam. Sea of Thieves probably sold more than a million copies, even years after being "free" on Gamepass. Forza Horizon did well at a terrible price.

- Sony releasing more and more first party games.

- Steam has been growing like hell the last few years, while Epic obviously haven't seen much success outside users picking up their free games.

- Valve lowered their cut based on copies sold.

I don't know if Ubisoft has some sort of agreement with Epic, because everything else seems pointless at this point.

Keihart

I haven't thouched my Uplay games that i bought through steam in a while since i need to log on to that nightmare. It really defeats the purpose of buying that shit on steam.
Also, i don't see that happening...not soon at least.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
I haven't thouched my Uplay games that i bought through steam in a while since i need to log on to that nightmare. It really defeats the purpose of buying that shit on steam.
Also, i don't see that happening...not soon at least.

Me neither, but Star Wars games are coming. It'll be hard to refuse.

Death Atlas

Neo Member
I would have to imagine that it's being heavily considered, I think it's just a matter of time. It's one success story after the other whenever things are going on Steam at this point.

Death Atlas

Neo Member
If Valve really is pushing for Game Pass to come to Steam, like Tyler McVicker claims, I think Ubisoft will almost certainly be there for it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
If Valve really is pushing for Game Pass to come to Steam, like Tyler McVicker claims, I think Ubisoft will almost certainly be there for it.
Ubisoft also have their own subscription service. EA wanting EA Play on Steam was important for them.

Holammer

I think they're using EGS as a way to direct Steam users directly to Uplay instead, how well that works would be interesting to know. Either way, I expect Ubi to return to Steam at some point in the future. A process that'll go faster if there's indications that sales have suffered as a result and it becomes impossible to hide it from investors.

Saying Sea of Thieves sold over 1M copies on Steam is (no pun intended) underselling it. It prolly sold between 3-5M copies thus far.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I think they're using EGS as a way to direct Steam users directly to Uplay instead, how well that works would be interesting to know. Either way, I expect Ubi to return to Steam at some point in the future. A process that'll go faster if there's indications that sales have suffered as a result and it becomes impossible to hide it from investors.

Saying Sea of Thieves sold over 1M copies on Steam is (no pun intended) underselling it. It prolly sold between 3-5M copies thus far.

Their EGS/Ubisoft exclusive games are probably doing well due to the pandemic if you compare sales to before the pandemic happened, but would certainly do a lot better on Steam I believe.

Kuranghi

I would like it but I wouldn't even care if I had to play their games on stinky Uplay as long as they went back to not region locking the keys.

I got AC: Unity on day one for £12 and even with all the bug and performance reports I thought at that price who cares. I don't need it to be that cheap, I think the game is worth more than that, but if I could find a £20-30 key on day one then I'd go back to buying every AC and Far Cry on day one.

Now I just buy them when they are like 5 quid so they don't get as much out of me, what a glorious time 2014 was for UK PC Gaming. No idea why they stopped doing that, surely most consumers don't know about grey key buying? In my case its just profit since I wouldn't have bought it at full price without that deal.

Realistically how many people WOULD'VE paid full price but saw the grey key deal and bought that instead, I don't think its a lot of people. This way they just don't get anything from me until its on a deep sale.

Last edited:

Holammer

Just a gentle necro on this thread.
It can be a nothing burger, but maybe Ubi's EGS experiment is over and they want their games on the Deck.

CitizenZ

Banned
You'll be surprised by the amount of people willing to ignore everything exclusively to Uplay and EGS.

Yea, but like myself, there are also a lot of people bored AF with constant retreads, remaster, remakes and broken games. But, for those who think those are special someone, good for you, keep paying and playing.

CitizenZ

Banned
Their EGS/Ubisoft exclusive games are probably doing well due to the pandemic if you compare sales to before the pandemic happened, but would certainly do a lot better on Steam I believe.

Their stock has been stag and declined ever since the move. They released 4, some consider AAA, in what? 6 months and the needle actually moved backwards.

Always baffling to me how much third parties failed to take advantage of the PC client situation. If they had joined forces and made one client that had exclusive EA, Ubi, Bethesda, Blizzard and MS games, that would have been a force to be reckoned with. But nobody wants their shit spread out over half a dozen clients with no features.

They are too greedy, and they've payed the price.

Surely it's simply down to the money. Is it either 1. Make your games exclusively sold on your own launcher or 2. Release on Steam with or without also selling it on your own launcher.

There must be people analyzing these things and proposing various routes to market.

Maybe there is a theory going with route 1 where it's a bit short term loss long term gain. But I wouldn't bet against Steam what with them hitting insane numbers of concurrent players I read about today.

V4skunk

Banned
Don't care.
Have not played a Ubisoft game since Farcry4 and I only played that because it was free with a gpu.

CitizenZ

Banned
Player count on a Monday in the middle of the afternoon seems pretty fine to me. Not sure where the whiff of "flop" is coming from.

That is not one of their high profile AAA games. Heck, I would bet no one even knows they are the publisher of the game.

ClosBSAS

lol they fucking deserve for steam to send them back to egs...they dont even deserve to be on steam. they actually thought gaben was gonna lower the cut to match epics hahahaha, tha was the funniest shit. if they come back to steam its just to laugh at them at how fucking stupid they are. division 1 sold over 1 million copies on launch while division 2 you could not find players to play with. they said 6x more players on ubisoft connect, yet that means jack shit.

its like saying 2x metro exodus sales over metro last light when the peak for last light on steam was 12k lmao. i used to buy them all day 1, but fuck them, they totally deserve to rot.

Griffon

Haven't been interested in an ubisoft game in a decade. They can do whatever, who cares?

It was funny when even the Nvidia leakers removed Ubistoft games to reduce bloat, and nobody cared.

Last edited:

Holammer

Haven't been interested in an ubisoft game in a decade. They can do whatever, who cares?

It was funny when even the Nvidia leakers removed Ubistoft games to reduce bloat, and nobody cared.
To be fair, that's because Ubisoft was the only one to DMCA the first leak.

packy34

Nope.

The whole point of the departure from Steam/move to EGS was to drive sales directly to their own launcher. They know how unpopular EGS is. Yves has basically admitted this strategy publicly.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I don't really care for recent Ubisoft games lately except for Fenyx Rising. It's not a huge loss for me keeping my games consolidated in one place (no specific love for steam, it's just where 95% of my games are). Definitely getting annoying how many launchers there are, but I shouldn't ultimately complain. It's all still a fuckton of games made for pc in the end. I would probably be okay with 50 launchers if it somehow meant better variety, quality, and availability for my platform of choice.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Nope.

The whole point of the departure from Steam/move to EGS was to drive sales directly to their own launcher. They know how unpopular EGS is. Yves has basically admitted this strategy publicly.

They could do that without EGS.

Mercador

Remove UPlay, I might bite. Until then, I wait.

Edit: Also, we're paying 40% of the salaries in here since 25 years or so... so yeah it's not really fun.

Last edited:

Juza

They are still using Steam's forums for updates, news, support about their games that not on Steam :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't really care about their return! I haven't bought their games in almost a decade.

Last edited:
I hope they do an EA and become part of the gamepass. I tried their Ubisoft + for a month to play FarCry & Riders but ended up calling off the resub. They have nothing to offer when most of their games are just sequels of the same shit.

Riders is decent but still.

Greirat

The way Ubisoft games worked on Steam before (requiring you to install + launch UPlay even if you ran it from Steam) was a clunky mess. Also there were weird ownership bugs if you had the game already in UPlay. It's not worth the hassle.

winjer

Gold Member
I don't care. Pretty much every game made by Ubisoft, in the last few years, are boring and grindy GAAS.

Top Bottom