• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think the grid-based dungeon crawler is an underrated genre?

pramod

Banned
So I'm talking really really old school stuff, like Eye of the Beholder. I think we haven't seen these types of games for over 20 years now (besides some indie games I'm not familiar with).

The reason I say they're "underrated" is because the experience and atmosphere of those games just haven't been truly replicated anywhere else...ie that feel of "being in a dungeon".
Of turning around and almost jumping out of your seat to see a big ugly Displace Beast right in your face.
Or hearing the "skrit-skrit" scurrying sound of Giant Spiders in the distance that gets louder and louder as you approach it...

It's one of those rare genres where the limitations of technology actually make it more immersive...the fact that you are limited in your movement and vision.
What's your favorite grid dungeon crawler?

Last edited:
Operencia: The Stolen Sun

158298s.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't play that much of the genre... Phantasy Star.... Sword of Vermillion... Might and Magic World of Xeen... and maybe MIracle Warriors if those count. I really enjoyed all those games as a kid, no idea how well the concept holds up. But I agree with the premise that technological limitations have led to interesting gameplay that otherwise might not have existed.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yes!
Go play Legend of Grimrock. It’s great. There are user created dungeons too, Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back, maybe Eye of the Beholder too don’t remember. Seriously, go play it. 👍
There is a sequel too but I haven’t play that yet.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

It’s not underrated but it’s always going to be a bit niche. Part of the reason I love the 3DS is that it has so many good ones between the Etrian Odyssey series, the SMT games and their spinoffs and the Persona Q series.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It’s not underrated but it’s always going to be a bit niche. Part of the reason I love the 3DS is that it has so many good ones between the Etrian Odyssey series, the SMT games and their spinoffs and the Persona Q series.

Etrian is real good. The two persona spin-offs are nice too. And smt ofc.

Liljagare

Dungeon Master is still my to go to game when I get bored. It released in 1987. However, none of the subsequent games really held up as well, so I don't replay them. CSB is also on there..

Legend of Grimrock was a boon though, it had the same feeling.

Null Persp

Yeah, I love this genre but nowadays it's really niche.
You need to play Grimrock 2, it's a masterpiece, other recent good games are Vaporum, Starcrawlers(turn based), The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians and Aeon of Sands

Last edited:

SpokkX

Operencia: The Stolen Sun

158298s.jpg
I love this genre and Operencia is REALLY good imo

i also recently enjoyed Bards Tale IV (even though it is really unpolished)

edit: these are both turn based unlike EotB

but i play only on consoles so realtime in this genre would not really work

Last edited:
So I'm talking really really old school stuff, like Eye of the Beholder. I think we haven't seen these types of games for over 20 years now (besides some indie games I'm not familiar with).
I'd love a remake of Eye of the Beholder and the Ultima Underworld games. Don't change the gameplay, just update the graphics, sound and UI.

Where the fuck is my switch etrian odyssey
I think that game really lends itself to a split screen. Same with Persona Q.

Having to switch back and forth between the game and your map on one screen would become tedious after awhile.

pramod

Banned
These games are just so unappealing to me in almost all aspects. I tried with Etrian Odyssey, but the challenge is just too much.
I gave Etrian Odyssey a go, but just couldn't get into it. It's trying to combine aspects of Wizardry and real time games like EOB, and just doesn't work. The game just feels tedious and overly difficult.

Corgi1985

Banned
I'd love a remake of Eye of the Beholder and the Ultima Underworld games. Don't change the gameplay, just update the graphics, sound and UI.

I think that game really lends itself to a split screen. Same with Persona Q.

Having to switch back and forth between the game and your map on one screen would become tedious after awhile.
Yeah the mapping wouldn't work, but the best part is how you can build the party and the skill system. I think EO can get by without the mapping part.

Raven117

Gold Member
Absolutely love Etrian Odyssey.

the act of mapping out the dungeons with the stylus was superb relaxing

Havoc2049

Orcs and Elves on the Nintendo DS is sooo good. The dorky wand stylus made it even better. It was developed by id Software of all people, so I guess Microsoft owns this IP now. id Software had a great mobile division there for a few years. Doom RPG and Wolfenstein RPG were great as well and Orcs and Elves I & II were also on mobile.

Last edited:

Belmonte

I like how tactical turn based first person RPGs can be. Usually you need to be way more careful with how you spend your resources/skills/magic than usual JRPGs or even other types of CRPGs.

When I was younger I thought it was very lame to not see the character in battle, but now I like how the lack of animation allow the imagination to fill the blanks. You see the numbers, the critical misses and hits and your brain does its thing. After some time I even start to imagine the character personalities based on what happens in the dungeon. Very curious how names and numbers can do this.

My favorites are Wizardry 1 and SMT Strange Journey.

Edit: Please, let's not call this genre Blobbers my dudes. It is an horrible name. Seems like there isn't a party of adventures, only a blob walking in the dungeon, which is exactly why many people who never played the genre don't give it a chance.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Experience creates a lot of these, and you can find plenty on handheld consoles like the DS, 3DS and PS Vita.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Dungeon Master is still my to go to game when I get bored. It released in 1987. However, none of the subsequent games really held up as well, so I don't replay them. CSB is also on there..

Legend of Grimrock was a boon though, it had the same feeling.
Dungeon Master was something special when it was released. Many a bedtime was missed when I got hold of that on my ST. Legendary game.

SirTerry-T

I love these games! (to list a few)
dT1SNal.jpg

8K7aigX.jpg

RJVXchK.jpg
zvAUBIG.jpg
eU1JPaQ.jpg

n495dXb.jpg
63iO3hk.jpg

0weGa7p.jpg
be6umvI.jpg
BJXlSd4.jpg
0Dk7cHh.jpg
jMK6hYV.jpg

zZCm3PJ.jpg

RYDeH5y.jpg

YFF7MJF.jpg
Is Stranger of Sword City Revisited worth getting hold of? I have the original on my Vita that I'm still ploughing through. Wondered if the "Revisited" extras make the Switch version worth it.

Last edited:

Bankai

I loved Crystal Rift on PSVR!

It really helped me to get used to VR, because of the fixed movement. Great experience; simple gameplay but I absolutely enjoyed it.

Can also be played without VR, but it really adds to the experience.

Very cheap as well, got it for couple of bucks.

4pSFk4nxMQbc_mqQLhCXTS0rMAV40BfAz_GN6KxWudj0jLcLLi7cBG6Ii1qEJXaNVzGwHBBx7Xtm5jlIHWspFZrUgGopLyvM5zBFYJOlliNxEog78iw

Protocol7

Is Stranger of Sword City Revisited worth getting hold of? I have the original on my Vita that I'm still ploughing through. Wondered if the "Revisited" extras make the Switch version worth it.
They added a lot of things, but if you have already invested lots of hours in it, not sure it's interesting for you, I mean except if you're ok to start over of course ^^;
Here's the details from the OT created at the time:

Holammer

While I enjoyed Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder & Lands of Lore back in the days, all textbook examples of the genre. I still have a soft spot for Dungeons and Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun and Shining in the Darkness on the Megadrive.
Eternal Sun features an Ultima style overhead view with turn based fights, but switches to a real-time dungeon crawler in dungeons. Quite unique for its time.

Top Bottom