• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think that due to the chip shortage/supply issues that this gen will last longer than expected?

FMX

Do you guys think that due to the issues mentioned that this gen will get an extra year or two in it's life cycle? In a way it seems that it hasn't really started yet .

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
PS4 will be 8 years old in November, still getting tons of new releases and will continue to do so next year including PlayStation big-hitters like GoW and Gran Turismo. Last gen still hasn't "ended" and will have a good 10 year run, I expect this gen to do the same, not necessarily longer.

Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure Microsoft are going to start doing fluid generations where they release new hardware every few years that will co-exist with their previous stuff and the current shortage will not affect that.

For Sony I assume they planned on a ~8 year generation either way so that's plenty long even with some initial shortage. The next cross gen period will be a very long one too.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Well seeing as I haven't even GOTTEN to start this generation yet, I'd say that is a fair assessment 😆.

Especially if we get hit with a second deadlier infection wave of covid in the sea of retards we call humanity.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
People must have forgotten how hard it was to get consoles last gen. It didn't stop the mid gen refresh or delay this gen. It won't delay next gen, either.

tusharngf

climate change is affecting TSMC factory in taiwan there is shortage of water which is needed for wafer foundry. Then there is COVID which has increased the demand tenfold. Samsung global foundry and TSMC all are expanding their fabs to other countries now but it will atleast take a year for them to manufacture something. The issue will remain till 2023 atleast.

ZywyPL

Banned
I think eventually the supply will exceed the demand, and everyone will be able to walk out of a store with a desired console just like that. Like it always happens.

But I do believe this gen will be a bit longer tho, we're already at 4K meaning there's no need for a mid-gen refresh models, while the base ones will be able to last very very long because I honestly don't see 8K becoming a mainstream thing anytime soon.

Realistically, the only reason I can thing of that would create a need for PS6/XS2 in 5 or so years is when the devs either fully saturate the CPUs and they won't be able to push anything any more forward, or the GPUs will lack RT capabilities to also increase the games visual fidelity.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It will run the same as other gens.

It won't be chip shortages that stop the console cycle it will be lack of advancements, and blurry lines with scalability.

Both of which we are starting to see already.

"This gen" hasn't even started lol
it was the same with PS4. it only really started to get good in 2015 and hit its stride in 2016/2017.

if i get a PS5 it'll not be until 2023/2024. i learned my lesson getting a PS4 at launch. it was sitting doing nothing for most of 2014.

Last edited:
It will be shorter because of that. I guess Sony and MS are furious about this situation. We likely won’t see next gens in stores before 2023/2024! Covid has already killed this gen despite what Sony or MS would say.

skit_data

maybe, lots of development has been put on hold or slowed down for the last 1,5 years. It’s not like they will ”catch up” that time over the generation.

im pretty surprised at the games we have already gotten so far when you consider the worldwide lockdowns throughout 2020 but yeah the gen will go on for a year or two longer than usual due to it.

sn0man

I was sort of hopeful that we’d see availability now as people left their homes after vaccination and turned heavily to outdoor activities. My plan was to waltz into a store and just pick up a new console.

Reality is much worse.

ZoukGalaxy

Would like to have a taste of this gen to begin with :(, so yes, I think it will last longer or, better said, "normal" (for me).
[ even with my infinite backlog o_O ]

200.gif

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
MS always kills xbox first, so I expect this to continue. PS5 to last 8 years at least.
Funnily enough, we can play games from all Xbox since the first one on Series. So they did not kill anything really.

On topic, we should stop wishing for hardware refreshes all the time, and start maximizing what we do with what we build, and keep consoles relevant for as long as possible.

Top Bottom