• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Sony will announce something to 'counter' Game Pass this summer?

Do you think Sony will announce something to 'counter' Game Pass this summer?

• Total voters

Spidey Fan

Banned
I can't tell if you are agreeing with me, disagreeing with me or just adding on to what I am saying. All I am saying is, you need a company like Microsoft to push a service like Game Pass. Game Pass is much better value wise than EA Play and I am not sure how much of an influence it had with people; as far as I recall, not many people were excited for EA charging a subscription fee. Anyway, my point is simply this, without MS, it would be really hard to offer or aggressively push a service like Game Pass (you also can't ignore that EA only offered EA games and they weren't new titles.) I felt it was very barebones when I signed up for that free trial.

I only mentioned MoviePass to show that even a really good service can't survive simply for being a really good service and MoviePass was great. They failed in convincing theater chains to let them play the middleman and decided to start their own subscription. On the gaming side, as you say, it was a little different, where a publisher started it and MS joined in. But MS is also the one who can push it.
My point was that EA was the one who started the service, and are still doing it, for 7 years.

The movie pass problem was other revenue. You cant have movies only, without having other service to make money from. sub always lose money, since people need content, and you only get money from the sub.

EA play, gamepass have that. Its dlc, mtx, allowing you to buy the games. They dont have to worry about the sub money.

Microsoft is in it for the endgame. That is why you see 3rd party games. Because that 50m-100m is where the profits will exceed the investment. and games take time to clear it. so people are stuck with overwhelming content, unlike movies, which are 2 hour or 10 season.

MacReady13

I don't understand your point. Game pass is a subscription service that requires people to keep paying to be successful. You might not know this but you can buy every game that is available on Game pass, with a discount no less. Plus the service allows you to try out games you might not have wanted to shell out full price on until you've tried it. Building a game library that you buy takes time to do and you might not want to jump into building a library from scratch but if you can try out games you like though Game pass the risk is lower. If Game pass is a plan 'B' as you call it how would it convert people as you say? Based on your claims it doesn't encourage customer retention. Also how do you explain why Game pass has so many more subscribers than PS Now when it is plan 'B' and MS is on the back foot?

I don't think Sony needs to follow MS with Game pass because I prefer each company to do their own thing but I am not seeing the things you claim.

It definitely IS a plan B. Microsoft were forced to do something like this because they were getting their asses handed to them by Sony. Sony clearly don't need to follow in Microsoft's footsteps because as Microsoft have said numerous times now, they aren't in competition with Sony anymore...

Sony are catering to people who want to play high quality games. I am quite content with the way Sony are going about things and it seems i'm not alone and haven't been for the better part of 30 years since PS1 arrived. Sony just need to keep doing what they are doing and us consumers will be fine. Trust me when I say that we aren't jumping off PS4/5 to play game pass games on Xbox.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Now you're just going into salesman mode hard. Again who is talking about key sellers I'm talking offical playstation store right now. You can stream on both on your crummy laptop if you like.

What is your point with all this though? I guess you're just one of those gamepass people that go door to door asking "have you heard about our lord and saviour gamepass". That's great but that doesn’t at all address my point about why MS are pushing hard in this direction. Then you brought price comparisons into it and I showed you the other is cheaper now you're asking me if I find this value for money.
What outcome do you want from this, what do you want me to "get" when you're not getting my point at all?

"Yes gamepass I am a sinner for thou has bought games. I repent and accept thee as our saviour".
Happy?
You need to download psnow, you dont need that for xcloud.

Microsoft is seeing the end game. We gamers are only looking at now. The sub went from 0 in June 1, 2017, to 18m jan 2021 (23m in 2021 apr). The sub is getting to 50m faster, and it grow from now on, once those upcoming games gets dropped.

For me, I care that i get to play, games that i wont ever get a chance to know, or buy them. its a win for me.

Spidey Fan

Banned
It definitely IS a plan B. Microsoft were forced to do something like this because they were getting their asses handed to them by Sony. Sony clearly don't need to follow in Microsoft's footsteps because as Microsoft have said numerous times now, they aren't in competition with Sony anymore...

Sony are catering to people who want to play high quality games. I am quite content with the way Sony are going about things and it seems i'm not alone and haven't been for the better part of 30 years since PS1 arrived. Sony just need to keep doing what they are doing and us consumers will be fine. Trust me when I say that we aren't jumping off PS4/5 to play game pass games on Xbox.
Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF

sainraja

My point was that EA was the one who started the service, and are still doing it, for 7 years.

The movie pass problem was other revenue. You cant have movies only, without having other service to make money from. sub always lose money, since people need content, and you only get money from the sub.

EA play, gamepass have that. Its dlc, mtx, allowing you to buy the games. They dont have to worry about the sub money.

Microsoft is in it for the endgame. That is why you see 3rd party games. Because that 50m-100m is where the profits will exceed the investment. and games take time to clear it. so people are stuck with overwhelming content, unlike movies, which are 2 hour or 10 season.
You're missing my point with the MoviePass comparison but that is okay as it is not important to understand what I am saying. The part I just highlighted in your post is what I am saying. MS has the funding and influence to push a service like Game Pass. Others have failed in trying to do the same. MoviePass was trying to gain enough subscribers so they could use them as leverage to convince theater chains to share revenue (via concessions). They ultimately had no influence and ran out of funding (a problem MS does not have and they have the interest to keep pushing it.)

BTW MoviePass was a service for people who like going to the theater (so it's just movies and no TV shows.) Once they lowered the price, many people subscribed. Before they started restricting tickets, it was simply too good to be true and it didn't last.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
You're missing my point with the MoviePass comparison but that is okay as it is not important to understand what I am saying. The part I just highlighted in your post is what I am saying. MS has the funding and influence to push a service like Game Pass. Others have failed in trying to do the same. MoviePass was trying to gain enough subscribers so they could use them as leverage to convince theater chains to share revenue (via concessions). They ultimately had no influence and ran out of funding (a problem MS does not have and they have the interest to keep pushing it.)

BTW MoviePass was a service for people who like going to the theater (so it's just movies and no TV shows.) Once they lowered the price, many people subscribed. Before they started restricting tickets, it was simply too good to be true and it didn't last.
Sorry for not understanding your MoviePass very well. That was interesting concept. I can see why they run out funding.

As for your Microsoft point, Yes they have the funding, but that doesnt mean others cant do. The difference with Microsoft, is the 3rd party. That part i can agree with you, since its impossible to fund 3rd party games for long time. but for 1st party games, anyone can make it.

How exactly is it crap talk. It's business sense. You and the usual crap talkers, darkmage included, are here not seeing it from the perspective that it is because you think MS have been slighted.

MS are pushing for gamepass because it is designed to lower the barrier of entry for newcomers. If they had high console and software sales they would not have gone down this route and they would try to retain customers instead. They wouldn't support things like crossplay. Sony at the moment want to retain customers instead of converting them so the customer owning things is one way to retain them because they would have a library of games playable only on that console.
XSS, PC and xCloud are designed to lower the barrier to entry for Game pass. You have no idea what MS would do with higher console sales but they are doing plenty to get more people to Game pass. They aren't doing the same thing as Sony and that's a good thing.

I still have no idea what you are talking about 'converting customers'. Converting to what? MS is perfectly fine with a person buying a PS5 AND an XSX|S. Sony is the company shutting down the idea of cross play. MS has been far more accommodating to customers on other platforms so they are clearly doing different things.

Spidey Fan

Banned

Since i had fun laughing, i want to thank you for making me laugh.

The mind of fanboys have a hard time understanding business.

I am not picking on you for liking PlayStation. Its great that you enjoyed with them, since ps1. but its dishonest thinking that microsft is forced to do this business, because of sony.

Sorry friend, but that is false. Microsoft are business people. They dont care what a 200b company does. Their entire business model is a subscription business. a long term business, that prints out money infinitely. Gamepass represents that business model. a long term plan, which will print money for them.

PlayStation on other hand, represents old business model. The downside of that business model is the hardware upgrade every 8 years. It doesnt matter if you produce high quality games. Those games stay on that business.

Please tell me this honestly. can you play ps1 games on ps4 or ps5? same for other systems. How many games do you think is getting lost on those systems? Do you think, its viable to continue business model like that in the future, where content and ip is the king? How much money do you think, is being lost on those games?

Game pass is a solution to that. From the current business model, gamepass allows the companies to have their games reserved on that business. and with them going hard on pc, their games wont be constrained by the hardware's.

In a sense, sony's greatest enemy is themself. by not preserving their games, they drained 3 entire generation of games down the drain. They were lucky, that ps5 was able to play ps4 games.

At end of the day, Your worst enemy for your great games is the hardware. Ps3 games that were great is being lost, and you cant play them on ps4-5.

Hope this should show you, why Microsoft is focusing on gamepass.

Three

XSS, PC and xCloud are designed to lower the barrier to entry for Game pass. You have no idea what MS would do with higher console sales but they are doing plenty to get more people to Game pass. They aren't doing the same thing as Sony and that's a good thing.

I still have no idea what you are talking about 'converting customers'. Converting to what? MS is perfectly fine with a person buying a PS5 AND an XSX|S. Sony is the company shutting down the idea of cross play. MS has been far more accommodating to customers on other platforms so they are clearly doing different things.
I'll give you an example in another space.

MS sold Office for some time. They had the best suite available and actively prevented document cross compatibility (even landed in some legal trouble for it).

Thier strategy for a while was customer retention. Then Google came along and to have any chance against office they started giving a lower quality version of that software for free online and fighting to have document cross compatibility. They started subscriptions that included this suite for companies. Over time but not straight away MS started to go in that direction of subs too. Now draw parallels and have fun.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned

MS sold Office for some time. They had the best suite available and actively prevented document cross compatibility (even landed in some legal trouble for it).

Thier strategy for a while was customer retention. Then Google came along and to have any chance against office they started giving a lower quality version of that software for free online and fighting to have document cross compatibility. They started subscriptions that included this suite for companies. Over time but not straight away MS started to go in that direction of subs too. Now draw parallels and have fun.
at least i can play xbOG-360 on x1s. What did that do for the great PlayStation exclusive on those generation? it went down the drain. This is why exclusive dont matter, unless you have backup plan.

If it weren't for xbox backward compatibility, ps5 wouldn't have been able to play ps4 games. and those great ps4 games you scream, would have been flushed to the toilet like the ps1-3 games.

Three

at least i can play xbOG-360 on x1s. What did that do for the great PlayStation exclusive on those generation? it went down the drain. This is why exclusive dont matter, unless you have backup plan.

If it weren't for xbox backward compatibility, ps5 wouldn't have been able to play ps4 games. and those great ps4 games you scream, would have been flushed to the toilet like the ps1-3 games.
Are you really trying to say PS5 is BC with PS4 because of xbox? You're joking I hope. As somebody else said it seems you're just looking for an argument or maybe it's to keep this thread alive.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Are you really trying to say PS5 is BC with PS4 because of xbox? You're joking I hope. As somebody else said it seems you're just looking for an argument or maybe it's to keep this thread alive.
i was pointing out the flaw of the exclusive business. exclusives are only tied to that console. and without the ability to play it on the next gen, those will be stuck on that device. The big reason, why you cant play ps3 games on ps4, and mainly the cell thing ps3 had.

I have seen no evidence that Google document services were the reason MS wanted to move to a subscription model. More likey it was becoming more and more difficult to convince people to purchase a $400 office suite of software every few years. With a sub model it softened the appearance of the cost and made it more palatable for people just to sub up and keep the latest version of office.

Subscriptions are everywhere now especially for media consumption so in that vein it's Sony that isn't following trends so many other companies are following. I actually agree with Spidey Fan Spidey Fan that Sony's business model is old skool. It works for them and I am not saying they should change it but getting people to buy new hardware every 6 or 7 years and replace their game libraries will get old eventually.

I still don't get your conversion comments but I guess it isn't important.

If anything Game pass is plan 'C'. Kinect was plan 'B' with the heavy focus on cable television and media consumption. I agree that Sony doesn't need to follow in Microsoft's footsteps but mostly because they business isn't really designed for that model of content delivery and what they are doing is working fine.

I don't know what you're talking about with regard to quality games. The biggest draw to Game pass is getting tons of quality games for a subscription and you can always purchase what you want for a discount. That model works great especially for the types of games MS makes which are predominantly multi-player titles that can last a long time. Spending 100s of millions of dollars on a single player game like Ratchet which is a 20 hour title mostly would be gobbled up in less than month played casually and people would move on. Pretty much all of MS's big titles: Halo, Gears, Forza, SoT are all about playing with friends.

You're right Sony can keep doing what they are doing and appealing to single player, 3rd person, story driven title crowd. If those aren't your cup of tea they don't offer a whole lot else. I'm perfectly happy with playing my Xbox in between the occasional Ratchet or God of War title. I'm glad I don't lock myself away great games because of lame fanboy reasonings.

There is a strong argument to be made that the PS5 would look like a horrible value compared to the the Xbox if it offered the same BC options as the PS4. Just saying. Things don't exist in a vacuum.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
No I don't and I don't care as I have my XSX for GP. I got a PS5 the other day and I was like Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! as I scrolled down the PSN store looking at the prices of the games that are on GP.
My PS5 will mainly be for the exclusives.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Back in 2002, Blockbuster thought in a similar fashion as you.

I don't know if that's a fair comparison. Blockbuster got overtaken by emergent technology and not adopting it, moreso than they did by Netflix's original mail-out model. The idea of paying a subscription for games has been around a long time, it's not something new that Microsoft has stumbled upon.

I know it's been mentioned before in the thread, but I really don't think PS Now gets enough respect (wrong word?). When I signed up for my new internet they gave me 12 months of PS Now. I hadn't used it before aside from a trial to play Super Puzzle Fighter. Once I dug into it, I have to say it's pretty fantastic. It's not as good as Game Pass, which feels too good to be true sometimes, but it's a solid alternative for PlayStation owners.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I don't know if that's a fair comparison. Blockbuster got overtaken by emergent technology and not adopting it, moreso than they did by Netflix's original mail-out model. The idea of paying a subscription for games has been around a long time, it's not something new that Microsoft has stumbled upon.

I know it's been mentioned before in the thread, but I really don't think PS Now gets enough respect (wrong word?). When I signed up for my new internet they gave me 12 months of PS Now. I hadn't used it before aside from a trial to play Super Puzzle Fighter. Once I dug into it, I have to say it's pretty fantastic. It's not as good as Game Pass, which feels too good to be true sometimes, but it's a solid alternative for PlayStation owners.
Psnow is fantastic, and real value is being able to pay yearly, unlike game pass. The reason people dont like it, is the streaming quality of their games on pc, and ps4 (ps2-3 games). And it come out on time, when internet was slow. Now internet is fast, so psnow is doing amazing. its just PlayStation doesn't advertise it, like gamepass.

Blockbuster lost, because netflix was doing the streaming and dvd rent, like how gamepass is doing streaming and downloading. And the biggest nail in the coffin was convenient. People dont like hassle service. they like easy service. Gamepass has the xcloud (mobile, browser), which makes experience convienent. i can play fifa on browser, and have my progress transferred to my xbox, when i turn on the console. That kind of experience is what people want. It will take time until we have fiber for the 4k, but it works fine now at 720p. the series x blade will be available next year for the xcloud, and loading time will be easy.

noise36

I think until it significantly impacts console sales they will keep releasing games at $125 AUD and ignoring anything pro-consumer like gamepass.

noise36

Games are $125 in Aus? Good lord, I am so sorry. Why? What the fuck?

Yes indeed, though for some games physical can be found for $100+ , but last gen new releases could be found for $69 - $79 AUD for the most part so its a massive increase.

Imagine the people who bought the PS5 without a disk drive, expensive hobby when you consider no resale on used games.

Demon Souls came out in November 2020 currently on sale for about $89 physical $109 digital.

Last edited:

yurinka

1: Business is business. Sega, atari were dominating before sony, and they gone of the earth with hardware consoles. Both of these 2 companies, were unable to adapt with changing time, so they dropped out. It doesnt matter if you sell billions, if you cant adapt with the market change, your past means nothing (Sony own tv department should tell you this).
Atari only dominated in the USA, Japan and Europe had their own 8 bit computers and other consoles dominating the market until Nintendo started to shine.

Nintendo grew and dominated the worldwide console market during the late 8 bit and 16 bit generations, and after them Sony grew the console market way more started to dominate since the PS1 until today with the PS3 generation where all 3 ended pretty close.

Sega never dominated anything.

2: People buy because of hype, and they dont want to be left out. PlayStation wouldn't have sold that much, if people weren't pressured by their friends, and desire to be with other people. Fortnite logo had a bundle for ps4. So hype sells the consoles, and popular games.
Bullshit. You must be dumb if someone is going to buy a $500 console because their friends 'pressure' them. And all 3 consoles had multiple Fortnite bundles, which btw ended being crossplay.

3: Majority of people who owns ps4 didnt buy it, because of past legacy consoles. They bought, because people were talking about it.
PS4 shipped 115.9M consoles as of March, and back then they had ~80 million were active that month. And since people doesn't keep playing a single game during 7 years, means that if most PS4 continue being played because people likes the new content (in this case, videogames) for it. People loved PS4 games and bought a ton of them, over 1500 millions games sold, which means there are more PS4 games sold than PS2 games sold in all PS2 history (and PS4 continues selling games at a great pace).

image.png

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/irday/pdf/2021/GNS_E.pdf

4: GOTY means shit. Its a bunch of celebrity choosing the game, due to the narrative it has. Most great games dont have the narrative these games have. Look at ori and the will of wisp. It didnt have any leg against tlou2, because it doesnt fit their view of goty. Hell doom eternal didnt even get a chance. GOT which better atmosphere than tlou2 lost to that game. So tell me, when do these games get a chance for goty?
These games didn't have a chance for goty because independently of their genre or game type, the people from the hundreds of places giving GOTY awards perceived they weren't as good as other ones (specially TLOU2).

Out of these hundreds of places, a huge portion of them considered TLOU2 was the GOTY, it was a very clear consensus, specially considering it had a huge distance with the top 2 game. These awards represented many informed people like gaming media, some big gaming forums or even the industry academy from some key countries like USA or UK. If we go to check sales or average reviews, TLOU2 is also more successful than the other two. So it's very clear TLOU2 was the GOTY.

You may not like it but it's your fanboy opinion, by far the gaming community/market thinks the GOTY was TLOU2.

4: Again, sales means shit, when you are the talk of the town, and your competition are the laughing stock. Xbox had the stigma of no games, despite it having games. If xbox didnt have that stigma, i doubt sony would have cracked that 100m console. XBox has 2 juggernaut games. Minecraft and Roblox. If they didnt shoot themself at that e3, they would have been much more popular with kids today.
Again, you're desilusional. Sales means people are interested in a product enough to buy it. If a game or console sells more than other one, it's because there is more people interested on it to the point of buying it.

Only a small portion of the gaming market (or even the console market) watches the E3. And only a small portion of Minecrat and Roblox players pay on Xbox.

and as for sony exclusive, only 1-2/10 of ps4 buy it. and most of their games are single player, which ment to be played alone. While on xbox, are group game. Halo has the Mp, Gears same, Forza same, Sea of thieves same. These games are social. Both companies target different groups. just because you love SP games, doesnt mean everyone does. Hell, sony exclusive are talked by media and you guys. My brother who owns his ps4, doesnt even know about it. and i bough his ps4 in 2018. he only has Spiderman.
GoW 2018 sold over 10 million copies in aprox. a year. Spider-Man sold over 13 million in less than a year. Horizon sold 10 million copies in a couple of years. Uncharted 4 sold over 15 million copies in 3 years. TLOU2 and GoT still hasn't been in the market for a year but one is the fastest selling exclusive ever and the other the fastest selling new IP.

Sony exclusives sell better than ever, but they are only a small part of its huge and diverse catalog of great games so sales are more split. It has way more games than the other consoles, it has way more multis than the other ones because it's the best selling console (for this reason Xbox doesn't get some of them, specially Japanese ones) and can run them (for this reason Switch doesn't get some of them) and because more games are sold on PS4. As I said before, 1500 milion games sold for it, gaming history record.

Even the multis that are available everywhere and are the best selling IPs of the market, in most cases we know PS4 is where they sell more: GTA, FIFA, CoD, AC, Fortnite. Sony doesn't need to focus on making MP game because they already have the most popuplar MP games of the market on their console, and they are where they play more. Same goes with the top selling 3rd party publishers: Activision, EA, Take 2, Ubisoft mention they sell more in PS.

6: Bethesda/Zenimax will never have their games as timed exclusive. they are first party xbox period. Xbox/Pc is where those games will be.
The Xbox CFO and CEO said their stategy with Bethesda is 'FIRST (which means temporal exclusive) or best (which means multiplatform) on Xbox' and that 'he can't sit there and say all Bethesda games will be exclusive'. Minecraft Dungeon is also first party, and was released day one on PS4 and Switch.

The only time timed exclusive is bad, is when its has online multiplayer. It makes the experience less good when others get it. The prime of that game is done after a month or 2 (outrider is prime example if its becomes times exclusive).
I prefer multi games since day one, and timed exclusives over full exclusives. And where possible and doesn't affect the game, BC or crossgen. If the game is MP, if possible multi since day one and crossplay to have the bigger userbase possible. The more people is allowed to play the games, the better. But I understand the publishers/devs need money, and the platform holders want some sort of exclusives to make their consoles more attractive while spending less money than paying a full exclusive, so I think timed exclusives are good for both, and less bad for players compared to full exclusives.

At the end of the day, there are new generation of gamers than the ps4/x1 era. This makes past sales useless. Roblox has 199m active users, While Minecraft sold 240m, and has 140m active users. This is your prime example that the industry is facing a new change.
Yes, and there are many mobile games with even bigger numbers. With more kids playing there than in Minecraft or Roblox. A market with more players than the console market, and than the PC market, that generates more money and has a bigger growth.

new gamers are joining the game. the old fart technique are useless now.
Not true, the console market has been growing for many years and will continue growing. Nintendo and Sony are getting better numbers than ever, MS is the only one for who the old fart technique isn't working.

You cant tout with best exclusive now. people want new fresh experience. Fortnite become sensational. 350m registered account (50-100m are multiple accounts, so take that with grain salt). These will be adults, like how ps1 were adult on ps2/ps3 time. you need to attract those people. that is the main goal now.
Yes, and according to Epic Fortnite makes almost half of its money on PlayStation, and around a quarter of its money on Xbox. Same goes with FIFA, tons of -specially European- kids play it, with PlayStation being the platform where they play/spend more.

Pull n Pray

Banned

I'm really comparing Jaybe's way of thinking to Blockbuster's way of thinking. It remains to be seen how Sony will respond. I was subscribed to PS Now for several months, and I agree with you that it is an underrated service. But it seems to be stuck in last gen. Unless this has recently changed, the service has 0 PS5 games on it. Game Pass has 41 X/S optimized games and 36 games with FPS boost. So I think Sony needs to responds, and the sooner the better. Waiting and then only responding if they lose their market leader position would be unwise.

Sony doesn't need to compete with Game Pass, when MS starts selling more consoles or more importantly starts making so much money from GP and Sony starts losing then maybe they can have a different strategy but Sony right now brings in so much more profit through PlayStation than MS does through xbox it would be insane and really irresponsible to give up all of the money they make launching 1st party games for sale only and put them on a pay $10 a month service where single player games could be finished in a week. Let's not forget Sony still releases about 2-3 AAA games a year plus smaller titles, MS has only released 3 AAA games since GP launched in 2017, that'll change in the future but releasing 1st party games on GP at launch isn't a whole lot to brag about right now when you've only done 3 AAA games in 4 years.

Spidey Fan

Banned
You must not have friends really for that point. Peer pressure makes you buy things. and if you see your friends play those console, you are likely to buy it. This isnt a science kid. this is reality.

And you still dont get about the ps4 sales 🤦‍♂️ . Why do you think people buy iphone 12? A $1.2k phone. why do you think that, its because its the hottest thing that is there. people keep talking about it. they dont care what iphone has on the iphone 12, people buy it, because other people keep showing it off. its the same for ps4. The kids that used to go with their friends, the high school kids, the new gamers who wanted to buy a console. and ps4 was popular. it wasnt its games that they bought it for.

Goty is still is rigged. the fact that you toss other genre makes it plainly that only certain genre are needed. other games are tossed to the garbage pin. In no way tlou2 had a chance against ghost of tsushima, doom eternal, ff7r, ori and the will of the wisp, hades. Those games defined their genre during that year. Hell, ff7R showed what turn based game could do as an action game. It was graphical leap from ff7, which was known as the pinnacle rpg.

people are interested in product that other people talk about. 8/10 if you ask someone about xbox, they would immediately say that it had no games. How does that not impact the decision of the person who is buying the console, when you tell him that console doesnt have a game?

Your sales are from a console which sold 80m to100m at those time. The fact that it got those numbers, should show you that most people arent interested in them. They should have had 20+m sales for that. and the only thing that managed to do was spiderman and gow. what is worst is spiderman, a well known character sold its game as 20m on November 2020. That is very low on a console which had 100m at that time. where the hell did the other 80m people go?

People arent like you, where they worship the great ps4 games. People have different taste. They buy the console for other games. i know that concept is alien to you. but 70% of ps4 owners will agree with me.

Keep dreaming for those bethesda, because they wont ever come to ps5. That is the words of spencer. unless sony allows gamepass on their system, it wont come to playstation.

full exclusive depend on if the publisher help fund the game. If they do, they have 100% right to have those exclusive. the other system owner didnt help. for example, sunset overdrive was made, because Sony wanted the ip, and Microsoft gave the ip to insomniac. It wouldnt have been made, if Microsoft said the same as Sony.

I agree with mobile market. i was mobile first, then pc, then mobile, then went to pc, and console now. there are alot of mobile players, and those markets are china and india. since none of those consoles were really pushing for those markets.

You still dont get that old technique are usless. Nintendo made their console switch a handle held console. that thing made it blow to the market. then they made mario kart 8 a better racing kart than gt series and forza series. Very fun game with kids. Then they gave us animal crossing. Both games arent cinematic. relaxing game, that you cant find on PlayStation and Microsoft. Microsoft on the other hand, opted for gamepass. an entry service that lowers the barries for other gamers to join. the only thing that has higher barriers entry is playstation. which they made their games freaking 70$, during a pandemic. please tell me how that will help its players.

your last point shows why people buy PlayStation. the fact that fortnite made alot of money on PlayStation should tell you that most of ps users play games like that, instead of its exclusive. Games like fortnite, minecraft, cod, fifa, rocket league, rainbow siege helped PlayStation expand its horizon. Those games which kids, and adults play alot.

Simple fact. Minecraft has sold 240m copies. It was 50m during the ps3 and xb360. gained 190m after that. Gta V sold more than 20m on ps4.

We can argue about these all day, but at the end off the day, people really buy popular stuff. They play popular games, because people keep talking about these games. Sony games are only popular on the internet forums. outside of the world, its about Minecraft , gtav, , skyrim, roblox, fortnite, warzone, fifa, other battle royal games and cod. As much great is ps4 games, people are interested in those other games. i am not looking down of playstation games. i have bought most of ps4 exclusives. havent done for microsoft, since i have it for free with gamepass.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Not sure what this means, they already have PS Now.....

Pull n Pray Pull n Pray nah bud. I bought the game as a consumer and its not only my pick for GOTY, its my pick for GOTG.

Even if we argue just the majority.....TLOU2 literally won the majority PLAYERS CHOICE in those awards anyway. I think many of you legit are going to have to come to terms with this. The game moved record units, in record time, received record awards by both publications and fans. I don't really know why folks love fucking pretending a gaming thread now is magically the majority.

The same fucking people that tell you everyone hates Fortnite, Pub G and that Call Of Duty is at an end and no one plays it? yea..... ok.

Last edited:

Pull n Pray

Banned
Not sure what this means, they already have PS Now.....

Pull n Pray Pull n Pray nah bud. I bought the game as a consumer and its not only my pick for GOTY, its my pick for GOTG.

Even if we argue just the majority.....TLOU2 literally won the majority PLAYERS CHOICE in those awards anyway. I think many of you legit are going to have to come to terms with this. The game moved record units, in record time, received record awards by both publications and fans. I don't really know why folks love fucking pretending a gaming thread now is magically the majority.

The same fucking people that tell you everyone hates Fortnite, Pub G and that Call Of Duty is at an end and no one plays it? yea..... ok.

I lot of people bought it and ended up hating it.

Metacritic Userscore

The Last of Us: 9.2
The Last of Us Part 2: 5.7

EDMIX

Metacritic Userscore

A lot of people also made accounts on Metacritic who never played the game to leave a 0 score... Soooo unless your telling me 20k people can beat a game that is 30 hours long, in less then 30 min, sounds like horseshit to me.

Its a figure you want to use that you clearly know has massive flaws.

Regardless, it broke those sales records, continued to sell, continued to get awards by both the press and fans. Sorry bud, but lots of people who bought it ended up loving it. We have more to show that, then to show your whole "duerrra mEtCriTiCz say in 30 min peOplZ bEaT it doez".

Whats next? No one likes Call Of Duty cause Youtube dislike button say so, so must be true lol ok bud.

Last edited:

laynelane

A lot of people also made accounts on Metacritic who never played the game to leave a 0 score... Soooo unless your telling me 20k people can beat a game that is 30 hours long, in less then 30 min, sounds like horseshit to me.

Its a figure you want to use that you clearly know has massive flaws.

Regardless, it broke those sales records, continued to sell, continued to get awards by both the press and fans. Sorry bud, but lots of people who bought it ended up loving it. We have more to show that, then to show your whole "duerrra mEtCriTiCz say in 30 min peOplZ bEaT it doez".

Whats next? No one likes Call Of Duty cause Youtube dislike button say so, so must be true lol ok bud.

I thought a lot of those reviews were purged - which is why the user score is much higher now. Thinking about it some more, though, it's still unreliable since there's some that rate this on other factors than it being a game.

Jim Ryan already said they don't see it a viable business. Although if we look at his past comments, he might as well flip flop like every other time he has done.

EDMIX

Jim Ryan already said they don't see it a viable business. Although if we look at his past comments, he might as well flip flop like every other time he has done.

Well Jim is right in regards to Sony's business model and even Nintendo's, its not saying what Gamepass is won't work, its saying for Sony and Nintendo, its more a loss then anything as they move record units of software and hardware. So to them, saying here is a service where our biggest IP will appear day 1 and no thank you to those massive millions of units sold that break records of full price games, heres a cheap rental service, simply isn't a positive for them. Its simply not a thing Sony or Nintendo see a reason to jump on just yet when they are moving monster units of hardware and software.

That is an area MS has struggled in since they entered gaming, so gamepass makes complete sense for MS. So I think Jim is saying that cause the record units they sell of software.

So imagine Jim telling Sony investors that Spiderman 2 will be day 1 on PS Now, be like "hey and no worries about Spiderman 2 doing 20 million units, it will be on a service that is $10 a month that folks will likely just cancel when they beat Spiderman 2......am I doing it right folks?" They know they have IP moving monster units like 10, 13, 16, 20 MILLION etc that is a fuck ton to walk away from in favor of a service that isn't even profitable for the fucking richest company on earth and then be like "Why isn't Sony walking away from moving 20 million units in favor of subscription?"

Zeroing

Banned

Metacritic Userscore

You know this is the part where I meddle because I’m bored.

the last of us 1 was something different yet familiar. It felt so grounded compared to most games at that time! Still is.

last of us 2 is a reflection of the “war” being made on the internet over a YouTuber with her genetic knowledge of “male gaze on movies” translated into videogames and people got really mad! Why? No idea, just made her famous.

anyway, if that “war” didn’t pissed 50% of the gamers, the last of us 2 also made something interesting and different, making you play a character that is the antagonist of the 2 main characters of the previous game.

is the game bad? No, but it’s very different and not for everyone like all games are!

Zeroing

Banned
I also don’t see it as a viable business. All I see is MS dumping money on it. Although they dumped money on stupid things like that atmos exclusivity deal.

we only recently started talking about gamepass because of the massive marketing to “boost” word to mouth and that also costs money

look at Sony as a whole, they don’t have a streaming service or a music service anymore. They put everything everywhere while Netflix, Apple TV and HBO fight eachother in order to have “the crown”, “the last of us” and “for all mankind” on their services.

that is the business model Sony adopts if another gamepass like service shows up.

Until then Sony gains nothing.

Spidey Fan

Banned
You know this is the part where I meddle because I’m bored.

the last of us 1 was something different yet familiar. It felt so grounded compared to most games at that time! Still is.

last of us 2 is a reflection of the “war” being made on the internet over a YouTuber with her genetic knowledge of “male gaze on movies” translated into videogames and people got really mad! Why? No idea, just made her famous.

anyway, if that “war” didn’t pissed 50% of the gamers, the last of us 2 also made something interesting and different, making you play a character that is the antagonist of the 2 main characters of the previous game.

is the game bad? No, but it’s very different and not for everyone like all games are!
The thing with tlou2 is the shock part. People weren't expecting Joe to be killed like that. That like killing master chef, by a grunt soldier, at the start of the game. It will piss off people.

Then, there is the choice of playing abby. When people are mad at someone, last thing they need is to be close with that person. Lou2 does give you abby, who killed Joe. They will be mad at her.

In my opinion, they should have made killing Joe mid game. That would have made the stake in the game higher. Once you get to know both party, Joe death wouldn't have been shit. And people would have sided with Abby, considering the murderous Joe from the first game. I doubt anyone would have blamed her.

Gameplay wise, it's much better than the first one. Story wise, not so much.

Did the game even solve the main issue of the first game? In the first game, it was all about ellie blood, and how her blood has the cure. Does the game have that story or did it get tossed out? Haven't played lou2 yet.

The thing with tlou2 is the shock part. People weren't expecting Joe to be killed like that. That like killing master chef, by a grunt soldier, at the start of the game. It will piss off people.

Then, there is the choice of playing abby. When people are mad at someone, last thing they need is to be close with that person. Lou2 does give you abby, who killed Joe. They will be mad at her.

In my opinion, they should have made killing Joe mid game. That would have made the stake in the game higher. Once you get to know both party, Joe death wouldn't have been shit. And people would have sided with Abby, considering the murderous Joe from the first game. I doubt anyone would have blamed her.

Did the game even solve the main issue of the first game? In the first game, it was all about ellie blood, and how her blood has the cure. Does the game have that story or did it get tossed out? Haven't played lou2 yet.
Lots of assumptions about game you haven't played.
Play it, its less than half price now.

Shock is good.
(Master Chief is dull Doom Guy ripoff, he needs to die already)

Spidey Fan

Banned
Lots of assumptions about game you haven't played.
Play it, its less than half price now.

Shock is good.
(Master Chief is dull Doom Guy ripoff, he needs to die already)
I own the game. Was busy with other games.

My assumption are from people's outrage.

Shock is good, if its done correctly. Some shocks are plainly bad, if its done for no reason (Cortana change).

Kokoloko85

They have PS now. They will probably make some improvements. Hopefully with PS1-PS2 games

They are happy not losing money so no lol

ksdixon

It can't just be me who thinks this... Screw GP. PSNow has a larger selection, just lacks downloadability for all games.

Sony NEED to do something to combat XB's Backwards Compatiblity service.

Pull n Pray

Banned
I thought a lot of those reviews were purged - which is why the user score is much higher now. Thinking about it some more, though, it's still unreliable since there's some that rate this on other factors than it being a game.
What other factors are you referring to? I think many people didn't care for it because of the story and because it makes you play as Abby for a good chunk of the game. Those are legitimate reasons to dislike a game.

laynelane

What other factors are you referring to? I think many people didn't care for it because of the story and because it makes you play as Abby for a good chunk of the game. Those are legitimate reasons to dislike a game.

There is a narrative that the game is "woke" and some reviewed it negatively as a response to that. This article references the issue under the "Agenda" heading. I tried to pull an example from Metacritic but the negative reviews, while tallied, cannot be read.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Why didn't they do review bomb first game?

I'm not saying that there aren't a lot of people who love TLOU2, but a lot of people hate it too. I can't think of a more divisive game to have ever won GOTY.

Pull n Pray

Banned
There is a narrative that the game is "woke" and some reviewed it negatively as a response to that. This article references the issue under the "Agenda" heading. I tried to pull an example from Metacritic but the negative reviews, while tallied, cannot be read.
If the political messaging in the game interferes with your ability to enjoy it, then that is also a legitimate reason to give it a low score.

But the first game was fairly woke too, and everyone loved that one.

EDMIX

Why didn't they do review bomb first game?

I'm not saying that there aren't a lot of people who love TLOU2, but a lot of people hate it too. I can't think of a more divisive game to have ever won GOTY.

Very little media attention went to Ellie being gay. You got many fucking people with reviews stating "they turned her gay for an agenda" as the reason for their zero 5 min after the Metacritic went live. So I can give 2 shits if they didn't do something for one game that they did for another. Its unjustified and simply a hate mob. You not being able to think of a more divisive game is irrelevant man, broke record sales, broke record awards by publications, broke records for fan awards.

You are basically saying ignore all objective facts in favor of the game, but hey someone said they hate it 5 min after it launched, of a 30 hour game....... Thats like me fucking telling you Call Of Duty sucks, NO ONE LIKES ITS, oh yea bro "I can't think of a more divisive game to ever won GOTY" and or "but a lot of people hate it". I'm fucking sure they do.....I'm also sure those numbers show more like it, then hate it. Using some free shit like a youtube dislike doesn't factor into actual sales where someone is literally taking money out of their pocket to buy the game. I'd put more weight behind that, then 5 min of a games release of someone's review on Metacritic (regardless if its a good review or bad one, 5 mins and you beat a 30 hour game?)

Thats like the same people that kept making it sound like Far Cry 5 was going to fail and trying to force people to ignore, bash, hate etc the game. The game went on to break a shit load of records and become the best selling Far Cry game in history, but hey, you know some people that don't like it so we must ignore factual numbers? smh.

I don't do that shit. Its pointless. Its so irrelevant its not even funny, it tries to ignore reality cause someone is fucking trigged others like a game and the game is praised. I hate many games bud, you never see me out here pretending humans didn't buy it, all facts must be fake and no one must like it cause I dislike it. I makes little sense.

You going to have to let this one go...

Warablo

I am sorry, but legitimate criticism of TLOU II is in the pacing and then mid-way through the game during the climax you are forced to a flashback and playthrough the game again. Loved the combat, atmosphere/local and graphics, but the story pacing was shit and made the TLOU 1 characters act like shit to prop up their new characters.

No one gives a shit if Abby has big arms or if Lev is tomboy or trans. It's just something easy to make fun of, and a easy excuse for the defenders to use why someone didn't like the story as much.

If we're talking fake review scores, we gotta take into account all the fake 10/10's then too.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned

Story wise is way more complex and ambiguous than the first one. Having the point of view of the antagonist is used in movies, and since games are not passive I think it was intentional, how the world is so messed up and Ellie, Joel and Abby go on killing more humans than infected. I view it as a lesson about us humans and video games in general, where we have a vilan and a hero but in this game they are a mix of both.

about the blood, Joel killed the only person who could had done an impact in that infected world, that tiny hope is long lost. Another doctor does not shows ? Ellie does not cure people with her touch and the fireflies are long dead.

Does the story looks over the top unreal? Yeah it does… until you realize that we are among a pandemic, only focused on ourselves, political drama, countries vs countries and there’s people who doesn’t even believed the pandemic exists or don’t want to take a vaccine!

“How can people be so stupid and selfish?” That’s the message of the last of part 2

Zeroing

Banned
I am sorry, but legitimate criticism of TLOU II is in the pacing and then mid-way through the game during the climax you are forced to a flashback and playthrough the game again. Loved the combat, atmosphere/local and graphics, but the story pacing was shit and made the TLOU 1 characters act like shit to prop up their new characters.

No one gives a shit if Abby has big arms or if Lev is tomboy or trans. It's just something easy to make fun of, and a easy excuse for the defenders to use why someone didn't like the story as much.

If we're talking fake review scores, we gotta take into account all the fake 10/10's then too.
I agree with you!
First one felt grounded and organic
second one convoluted and forced!
But I still like both

Spidey Fan

Banned
Story wise is way more complex and ambiguous than the first one. Having the point of view of the antagonist is used in movies, and since games are not passive I think it was intentional, how the world is so messed up and Ellie, Joel and Abby go on killing more humans than infected. I view it as a lesson about us humans and video games in general, where we have a vilan and a hero but in this game they are a mix of both.

about the blood, Joel killed the only person who could had done an impact in that infected world, that tiny hope is long lost. Another doctor does not shows ? Ellie does not cure people with her touch and the fireflies are long dead.

Does the story looks over the top unreal? Yeah it does… until you realize that we are among a pandemic, only focused on ourselves, political drama, countries vs countries and there’s people who doesn’t even believed the pandemic exists or don’t want to take a vaccine!

“How can people be so stupid and selfish?” That’s the message of the last of part 2
The story is good, its how it was executed that was the issues. The first one showed joel was unwell. He viewed Ellie as his daughter, and he wont let anyone hurt her. You can see the impact his daughter death had on him during the game. That was good execution. Compared to the 2nd game. If we have seen Abby fathers death from her nightmare, and her trying to hunt her fathers killer would have left good impact in the story.

Nothing could be done about it. the story was done, and the game was released. We have to accept what we have been given.

So Xbox is playing catch-up to PlayStation (since forever), and they"re trying to do that with a rather slow and long-game strategy with Game Pass. So why does Sony need to respond to this now? Has there been any sign so far of Xbox shortening the huge gap in between them? I don't see it. PlayStation continues to destroy Xbox, business as usual. No need to react (for now). However, if there's a substantial change in people's preferences in the coming years, it's pretty much guaranteed they'll do something then. I'm sure they're keeping a close watch on it.

Top Bottom