• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Sony will announce something to 'counter' Game Pass this summer?

Do you think Sony will announce something to 'counter' Game Pass this summer?

• Total voters
What game are those people are interested in? Dont tell me playstation, exclusive, because i will laugh at your face. Those people are interested in gta, Minecraft, FIFA, call of duty, battle field. Minecraft alone sold 234 million copy. That is all consoles combined during that generation.

Exclusives, and it's still the go to platform for multiplats like COD, and Fifa, and Fortnite etc.

Xbox fucked up ruined their brand name, and people picked up the popular brand. Now that stigma doesnt exist. With pc on their side, they will get to those market. Remember that your pc has windows store. all Microsoft needs to do is advertise on that section. Sony cant do it. Especially on pc field, where Microsoft is dominating with 2 stores. steam, and their store. Sony has to deal with their rapid fanbase, if they put their exclusive to pc (Uncharted caused those people to become rabid dogs).

PS was always the popular brand. Do you think PS just managed to break 100 million home consoles sold last gen? The PS3 was the only exception and that was due to being one of the most diasterous launches, and yet even with that disasterous launch, they still managed to compete with Xbox and start outselling them when they were at their best, and this is just the territories where MS was actually strong in.

The MS store is doing nothing for them lol, and the only relevence Steam has is that it can run on their OS. That's it, and has no barring in the console sphere unless you delusion that PC is going to kill consoles or something, and Sony drizzling some of their old exclusives on the platform means fuck all.

At the end of the day, its what type of game that will sell the consoles. PlayStation has Spiderman as console seller. Other ip are good, but only God of war has big chance to get casuals. I dont hate them, its that PlayStation owners dont buy them alot (10%-20% is the curent sale for their exclusives). If they do Socom now, then that is different thing. Casuals might make that sale 20-30m, since people really wanna play army shooter game. And its the perfect game for ps5 this generation. Compared to skyrim having bethesda titles. Doom (pc guys), elder scrolls (pc mods), fall out (pc mods again). Pc will spread their games, which people will buy XSS for that reason.

You really don't see how impressive it is for something like God of War to hit 20 million sales do you? It's a luxury even for casual multiplats to hit that number. Even giants like COD only manage that amount on a single platform like PS.

Skyrim for example sold 20 million copies in roughly the same time frame as God of War, except the former did it on three platforms, and the ladder did it on one.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah?
IAiV5uC.png
Yup. No contest. GP has higher quality games, day one first party games and arguably most importantly they are all downloadable (even for GP on PC). Zero streaming. For a while, PS Now games were capped at 720p.

Spidey Fan

Banned
You ignored all the times you guys were so enclined in the trash talk, as if you were right only once in the past.

Are you one of those who think what they pay for is free because it's on gamepass?

The only benefit of gamepass is the marketing behind it.
do you hear yourself?

Gamepass is great values for casaul like me. me who dint give a crap about your baby plastic box. I love gamepass, because of the convenience it has. Mobile, Pc, Xbox, Browser, all for 15$ a month. You are lying to yourself, if a service like that isnt great.

We see Gamepass as mutual benefit. We get games, I share to people, and friends, and they get exposure. Both party wins.

But you do you man. If you hate gamepass, dont bother with it, and let us enjoy it.

Yep, you can see except for a little bit 80-89 games they have much higher quality games on average. Also doesn’t take age of games in consideration although that is a different thing of course. But new triple AAA games except for ms games do not release on gamepass, probably it’s the same for ps now though, don’t have the data on that

Last edited:

Stuart360

God there are so many dinosaurs on this forum lol.
Anyway no i dont think they will start something new, but i do think they will put alot more effort into PSNow to grow it.

Chukhopops

When you say: "It has fewer 80+ games even in absolute numbers despite the library size difference." - do you mean 80+ critical score?

I'm trying to follow along with the conversation but am dealing with a migraine, so I hope you don't mind me asking for clarification.
Yes, I mean if you look only at games with a metacritic score of 80 or more then GP has more of them, even in absolute numbers. PSNow has a lot of very low quality games, it’s easy to see by just looking at a site like psnowguide.com for example.

By the way I’m not saying it’s a bad service - it’s just not trying to do the same thing and has on average lower quality games.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Exclusives, and it's still the go to platform for multiplats like COD, and Fifa, and Fortnite etc.

PS was always the popular brand. Do you think PS just managed to break 100 million home consoles sold last gen? The PS3 was the only exception and that was due to being one of the most diasterous launches, and yet even with that disasterous launch, they still managed to compete with Xbox and start outselling them when they were at their best, and this is just the territories where MS was actually strong,

The MS store is doing nothing for them lol, and the only relevence Steam has is that it can run on their OS. That's it, and has no barring in the console sphere unless you delusion that PC is going to kill consoles or something, and Sony drizzling some of their old exclusives on the platform means fuck all.

You're really not getting how impressive it is for something like God of War to hit 20 million sales do you? It's a luxury even for casual multiplats to hit that number. Even giants like COD only manage that amount on a single platform like PS.

Skyrim for example sold 20 million copies in roughly the same time frame as God of War, except the former did it on three platforms, and the ladder did it on one.
its like we forgot x360 never existed. X360 was famous for shooter games. Where did that go. X1 ruined all that momentum to the ground.

Exclusive cater to hardcore fans. Not to casuals. Casuals dont care about exclusive, as long as they play with their friends.

God of war deserves that, because its a beloved series like halo. Its a long running series.

Skyrim sold 30m by 2016. by now, that number is high. Bethesda stopped updating it. Your 20m is from 2014 report. Which people like to scream about. Call of duty modern warfare (2019) alone sold 30m. No amount of Sony exclusive can come close to that. Please bring correct sales numbers next time.
Boots Riley Mic Drop GIF by Sorry To Bother You

its like we forgot x360 never existed. X360 was famous for shooter games. Where did that go. X1 ruined all that momentum to the ground.

Exclusive cater to hardcore fans. Not to casuals. Casuals dont care about exclusive, as long as they play with their friends.

God of war deserves that, because its a beloved series like halo. Its a long running series.

Skyrim sold 30m by 2016. by now, that number is high. Bethesda stopped updating it. Your 20m is from 2014 report. Which people like to scream about. Call of duty modern warfare (2019) alone sold 30m. No amount of Sony exclusive can come close to that. Please bring correct sales numbers next time.
Boots Riley Mic Drop GIF by Sorry To Bother You
Please pick up the mike again… of course games that release on all platforms including mobiles have higher sold numbers, you have to compare using platform sales vs platform sales, otherwise it’s just another Polygon pie chart.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Then maybe we can determine a 'winner' based on which platform appeals the most each person individually. If you like the PS ecosystem most that system won for you. If you like the Xbox ecosystem you have a winner right there! Getting caught up in profit margins of billion/trillion dollar companies doesn't accomplish much, unless you are a stockholder I suppose.

That and the fantastic value it offers.
I only care the value they bring. I paid both ps+ and psnow for their yearly plan, since i loved the value that i am getting. My gamepass ultimate is paid until november this year.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Not sure why people are eager for them to chase GamePass. Sony is currently the market leader. What they've been doing has been working. So they are going to chase strategies from the 3rd place platform holder? GamePass is Microsoft's strategy and it's fine for them, but no need for Sony to go that direction.

And the PS3, Sony's most disaterious launch was able to compete and outsell the 360, Microsofts, best console launch, as I just said.

Hardcore games don't manage 20 million copies unles you think Super Mario Odyseey is a hardcore game too

The point of the comparison Skrim 2 years on the market on three platforms achieved 20 million sales

God of War which was also on the market for 2 years on one platform sold 20 million sales. It's to help you get some perspective

Skyrim managed to sell 30 million because it was released on PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, and Steam. Imagine God of War numbers if it was on that many platforms

How many copies of Skyrim do you think sold on the PS4 alone?

You sniff your own farts don't you?

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
Please pick up the mike again… of course games that release on all platforms including mobiles have higher sold numbers, you have to compare using platform sales vs platform sales, otherwise it’s just another Polygon pie chart.
You picked your own battle friend.

You under represented those gigantic sales to make yourself smart.

Those Modern warfare sales are from pc, xbox and playstation, just from 2019. Not 2014. And they still sell more. Proof that casual likes these games, more than exclusive, not to mention those are yearly titles.

laynelane

Yes, I mean if you look only at games with a metacritic score of 80 or more then GP has more of them, even in absolute numbers. PSNow has a lot of very low quality games, it’s easy to see by just looking at a site like psnowguide.com for example.

By the way I’m not saying it’s a bad service - it’s just not trying to do the same thing and has on average lower quality games.

Thank you for explaining. I imagine with games coming and going on both services, the Metacritic score averages will fluctuate over time too. I can see why people want to compare GamePass and PSNow, but I think you're right that they're trying to do different things. I've been following along because gaming trends interest me. I suspect as more MS first party games come to GamePass (particularly Bethesda, Obsidian and the like), the sub numbers are going to rise very fast. Maybe that's when other companies will start thinking of countering or bolstering their own services. For now, it may be too soon for the question outlined in the OP.

You picked your own battle friend.

You under represented those gigantic sales to make yourself smart.

Those Modern warfare sales are from pc, xbox and playstation, just from 2019. Not 2014. And they still sell more. Proof that casual likes these games, more than exclusive, not to mention those are yearly titles.
You just say exactly what I said. You take overall sales over platform sales. Like i said, of course cod sells a lot more when you take all platforms in consideration.

Spidey Fan

Banned
And the PS3, Sony's most disaterious launch was able to compete and outsell the 360, Microsofts, best console launch, as I just said.

Hardcore games don't manage 20 million copies unles you think Super Mario Odyseey is a hardcore game too

The point of the comparison Skrim 2 years on the market on three platforms achieved 20 million sales

God of War which was also on the market for 2 years on one platform sold 20 million sales. It's to help you get some perspective

Skyrim managed to sell 30 million because it was released on PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, and Steam. Imagine God of War numbers if it was on that many platforms

How many copies of Skyrim do you think sold on the PS4 alone?

You sniff your own farts don't you?
Ps3 continued to sell after x360 stopped selling. That is continuing to do a race, when everyone stopped running.

Switch games are generally more attractive to casuals. Since they are family oriented games.

God of war come out in 2018, when ps4 had 91.6 consoles sold, compared to skyrim, which come out on early gaming stage. at that time, gaming wasnt as big as it was on 2018.

If skyrim was to be released now, it would have sold 50m easily, Hell, it might be more than 50m by now.

And as for your insult, i wont respond to it, since i dont want to put myself to your level. I am not childish enough for that.

Spidey Fan

Banned
You just say exactly what I said. You take overall sales over platform sales. Like i said, of course cod sells a lot more when you take all platforms in consideration.
Its was to point out what casuals love. Those are yearly releases. Compared to the exclusive which are 2-4 years.

I just hate it, when people say PlayStation has bigger numbers, and ignore all those casuals who only bought it to play with their friends. Those guys are what made PlayStation popular, just like how iphone is popular with casual people, since their friends have it.

No one outside of hardcore community care about exclusive. I wasn't, and still not interested in both console exclusive. I only bought PlayStation exclusive so i can try what they are all about. that is it. nothing more, nothing less. Only exception is god of war, since i played it on psp.

Ps3 continued to sell after x360 stopped selling. That is continuing to do a race, when everyone stopped running.

Switch games are generally more attractive to casuals. Since they are family oriented games.

God of war come out in 2018, when ps4 had 91.6 consoles sold, compared to skyrim, which come out on early gaming stage. at that time, gaming wasnt as big as it was on 2018.

If skyrim was to be released now, it would have sold 50m easily, Hell, it might be more than 50m by now.

And as for your insult, i wont respond to it, since i dont want to put myself to your level. I am not childish enough for that.

Lol they were both still selling. PS was simply the more popular brand

Skyrim had a user base of 100+ million gamers, and that's not even counting PC. You can keep trying to undermine God of War's sales in as many ways possible, but the fact of the matter is most devs can only dream of hitting 20 million sales for their games

It wasn't an insult it was simply an observation.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Sony are in a good position, companies don't throw out their strategies easily. They might test the water with a tiered plus service. I don't think PSNow is a future for Sony. They aren't a multiplayer centric platform, they mainly rely on the 3rd parties for that and their story based games don't really have much replayability. UC4 and TLOU II are headed in the right direction as you can just replay the encounters. Their entire foundation is premier, AAA, cinematic blockbusters.

They pull players to the platform and the 3rd party games perform well. For those invested, there's little reason to move - until MS start putting out their own big IPs, which to be fair to them, look to be on the horizon at least, whereas previously they were stuck in dry dock. We can;t really make any educated guesses yet while GP is still maturing, and all the big IPs are yet to land.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Lol they were both still selling. PS was simply the more popular brand

Skyrim had a user base of 100+ million gamers, and that's not even counting PC. You can keep trying to undermine God of War's sales in as many ways possible, but the fact of the matter is most devs can only dream of hitting 20 million sales for their games

It wasn't an insult it was simply an observation.
i am not downplaying it. i love it more than xbox exclusive, aside of skyrim, and teso.

scalman

It will update upgrade next gen its own thing... zero reason for me to even look at game pass so dont care about that. U must be living under rock for last yrs to need use game pass

Its was to point out what casuals love. Those are yearly releases. Compared to the exclusive which are 2-4 years.

I just hate it, when people say PlayStation has bigger numbers, and ignore all those casuals who only bought it to play with their friends. Those guys are what made PlayStation popular, just like how iphone is popular with casual people, since their friends have it.

No one outside of hardcore community care about exclusive. I wasn't, and still not interested in both console exclusive. I only bought PlayStation exclusive so i can try what they are all about. that is it. nothing more, nothing less. Only exception is god of war, since i played it on psp.
Ok if you point to casuals you’re absolutely right.

Why do internet tryhards like to pretend that PS Now doesn't exist?

The service is growing at a fast pace and boasts a larger game collection than XB GamePass last I checked.

If you look at the sales of PS exclusives like TLOU compared to the sales of those annualised 3rd party games, they're pretty comparable overall, i.e. 10-20m units. Which makes the Sony exclusive sales numbers even more impressive when you see they're selling on a single platform.

In which case, this idea that PS exclusives aren't what PS console owners are buying the console for is a pure myth.

Spidey Fan

Banned
If you look at the sales of PS exclusives like TLOU compared to the sales of those annualised 3rd party games, they're pretty comparable overall, i.e. 10-20m units. Which makes the Sony exclusive sales numbers even more impressive when you see they're selling on a single platform.

In which case, this idea that PS exclusives aren't what PS console owners are buying the console for is a pure myth.
You have to remember that ps4 has impressive number of hardware sold. the others compete with other titles. and only certain amount of that users buy it.

The only reason i brought the console number, is because those exclusive are only on that device, and 80-90% of the base didnt bother with it.

But if you compare the sales to other games, its impressive feat indeed. and no one can deny that ps4 games sell very well. Its just that most people dont buy the console for them.

I am not gonna buy ps5 console for its exclusive, same for xbox console. I buy them to have experience what both consoles offer.

sony was in business since 1990+, while xbox started in 2000s. So sony will have its loyal base who grow up with, and will only stay there. same for xbox. that wont change it.

What matters now are those who grow up with roblox, and minecraft. 2 gigantic franchise that exceed both consoles combined. Minecraft sold 234m copies as of now, and has 140m active users. while roblox has 199 million active users. Those are the future console owners. That is what is going to define this gen.

Will Minecraft be on ps5? I know roblox is only on xbox, and sony wont allow a game setting like Roblox in their system (People make money, making games inside Roblox).

Just think about it .... Returnal and Demon Souls are selling well at $70 and plus I think R&C will sell great even with the $70 price tag. Why would sony lose money to compete with GP right now when they can sell games well at full price?

I do think once MS gets rolling with better exclusive games that launch day one on Game pass like Halo Infinite that is when we will see Sony think about competing with Game pass.

Last edited:
You have to remember that ps4 has impressive number of hardware sold. the others compete with other titles. and only certain amount of that users buy it.

The only reason i brought the console number, is because those exclusive are only on that device, and 80-90% of the base didnt bother with it.

But if you compare the sales to other games, its impressive feat indeed. and no one can deny that ps4 games sell very well. Its just that most people dont buy the console for them.

I am not gonna buy ps5 console for its exclusive, same for xbox console. I buy them to have experience what both consoles offer.

sony was in business since 1990+, while xbox started in 2000s. So sony will have its loyal base who grow up with, and will only stay there. same for xbox. that wont change it.

What matters now are those who grow up with roblox, and minecraft. 2 gigantic franchise that exceed both consoles combined. Minecraft sold 234m copies as of now, and has 140m active users. while roblox has 199 million active users. Those are the future console owners. That is what is going to define this gen.

Will Minecraft be on ps5? I know roblox is only on xbox, and sony wont allow a game setting like Roblox in their system (People make money, making games inside Roblox).

People don't buy consoles at all to play games like Minecraft, Roblox and even to a lesser extent Fortnite, because all three of those gargantuan franchises don't require console hardware to play. Most play those games on potato PCs, tablets and smartphones.

So quite why you would base your assumptions on the reasons people buy consoles on games like that is baffling.

The big third party games like Fifa, Madden, Assassin's Creed routinely sell 15 to 20m units on all platforms. Well that's what Sony's first-party games have sold on just PS4. So how are you determining that PS4 are not being purchased for exclusives but rather 3rd party games, when most of the biggest 3rd party games sell as much as Sony's exclusives but on more platforms (thus third party sales on PS4 alone are actually lower than Sony's best selling exclusive games)?

Spidey Fan

Banned
People don't buy consoles at all to play games like Minecraft, Roblox and even to a lesser extent Fortnite, because all three of those gargantuan franchises don't require console hardware to play. Most play those games on potato PCs, tablets and smartphones.

So quite why you would base your assumptions on the reasons people buy consoles on games like that is baffling.

The big third party games like Fifa, Madden, Assassin's Creed routinely sell 15 to 20m units on all platforms. Well that's what Sony's first-party games have sold on just PS4. So how are you determining that PS4 are not being purchased for exclusives but rather 3rd party games, when most of the biggest 3rd party games sell as much as Sony's exclusives but on more platforms (thus third party sales on PS4 alone are actually lower than Sony's best selling exclusive games)?
I will explain it to you like ABC.

Ps1 players were kids. And now are adults who have kids and buy ps5.

Those guys who are playing those games, will be adult, when the new mid gen consoles gets released. Those are the ones that will buy the new consoles like crazy.

Every gen, it attracts new generation of gamers.That is how it works. Those total 400m minecraft/roblox players will own a console are gamers. When they become adult, they will want to join console experience.

Look at twitch, and YouTube content creator's. Before it was small, now its big. Consoles are the same. At the start they were small, and for kids. Now grown ups are playing it, since they grow up with consoles. And also new market of new generation is opened through mobile and pc.

That is why exclusive aren't important now. Its who ever provides convenient experience. Sony has with VR, while Xbox has with Pc and xcloud. 2 new powerhouse experience, that can attract potential new players.

Chukhopops

Any numbers to back those outlandish claims? Because at least for Fortnite, we know for a fact that most of the revenue is from consoles:

Literally 75% of Fortnite revenue comes from PlayStation and Xbox.

Minecraft is also consistently in the top sellers on Switch and has been since it came out three years ago:

So aside from Roblox (which isn’t available on PS consoles) it seems your claim is bollocks.

ZywyPL

Banned
People go to where their friends go. That is always been the case.

That's starting to not to be truth/necessity anymore - we are living in times where people are connected more than ever, playing together on broad variety of platforms. Unless a playform purposely closes itself from the outside world because it thinks it's better than everyone else.

And this is the part where I feel Sony with the PS4 has won a battle but lost the war, like there's no way they'll convince anyone from the PC crowd to their closed ecosystem with paid online and lack of crossplay, whereas on XB consoles/GP you do get that shared library, you do get to play with your buddies whether they're on XB or PC, or even Android, and that trend will only continue, whereas Sony with it's focus on SP-only games seemed to forget that people have friends and relatives.

Spidey Fan

Banned
That's starting to not to be truth/necessity anymore - we are living in times where people are connected more than ever, playing together on broad variety of platforms. Unless a playform purposely closes itself from the outside world because it thinks it's better than everyone else.

And this is the part where I feel Sony with the PS4 has won a battle but lost the war, like there's no way they'll convince anyone from the PC crowd to their closed ecosystem with paid online and lack of crossplay, whereas on XB consoles/GP you do get that shared library, you do get to play with your buddies whether they're on XB or PC, or even Android, and that trend will only continue, whereas Sony with it's focus on SP-only games seemed to forget that people have friends and relatives.
you seem to forget about the sony policy about cross play.

aside of that, people still buy the consoles their friends play. only reason i got ps4 for my little brother, was because of his friends.

your 2nd point is spot on. gaming now is social. if you cant have social gaming for your platform, people will leave your platform.

BootsLoader

Banned
No, in any way. They will maybe tweak that a little but that is all. There is no reason for them to make a business that is losing money at the moment.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don't think so.

I believe they will combined PS+ and PS Now later down the road. I'm also going to predict that PS1-PS3 be emulated on PS5 later down the road.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
??????.

I have psnow, but in no way its close to gamepass. Stop with those lies please.

Main problem with psnow is you can't download ps2-3 games, while you can with ps4 games. Avengers and the witcher 3 have 4 month stay time, compared to 1 year stay time in gamepass.

The main flavor of gamepass now is day1 games.

Both services is great, and I recommend them getting both. Buy saying psnow is better than gamepass is dishonest.
Lies? It’s an opinion, grow up. What is so special about GamePass at the moment? There are almost zero AAA games available to play on the service. Will that change in the future? Maybe with the Bethesda acquisition, but as of today, I much prefer to play Uncharted, Horizon, etc. Not to mention I get Final Fantasy Remake, among many others with PS+ over Minecraft. Moreover, PSNOW works far better than XCloud for streaming, at the moment.

Is PSNOW perfect? No. I’d love to see them improve the PSNOW PC client which is complete ass, support 4K and add PSVR games. Nonetheless, Microsoft’s 1st party offerings are paltry, at best.

I'm happy for Sony to wait on GamePass competition and instead focus all of their time/money on more important things like the ability to upgrade the internal SSD.

Any numbers to back those outlandish claims? Because at least for Fortnite, we know for a fact that most of the revenue is from consoles:

Literally 75% of Fortnite revenue comes from PlayStation and Xbox.

How's this relevant to my post.

I said Minecraft, Roblox and Fornite don't require consoles to play. They're all free 2 play games, and so if a younger gamer today want's to play Minecraft they don't need a console and can play on the tablet they already own.

So these games aren't the primary driver of console sales. Not at all.

Minecraft is also consistently in the top sellers on Switch and has been since it came out three years ago:

So aside from Roblox (which isn’t available on PS consoles) it seems your claim is bollocks.

Another irrelevant metric. That Minecraft is a top seller on Switch, tells you nothing about Minecraft sales on Switch compared to sales on other platforms. Much less player counts on other platforms.

I'm arguing a factual qualitative truth, and you're trying to counter-argue by asking for irrelevant data while cherry-picking data that's even less relevant to the argument being discussed.... WTF?

Spidey Fan

Banned
Lies? It’s an opinion, grow up. What is so special about GamePass at the moment? There are almost zero AAA games available to play on the service. Will that change in the future? Maybe with the Bethesda acquisition, but as of today, I much prefer to play Uncharted, Horizon, etc. Not to mention I get Final Fantasy Remake, among many others with PS+ over Minecraft. Moreover, PSNOW works far better than XCloud for streaming, at the moment.

Is PSNOW perfect? No. I’d love to see them improve the PSNOW PC client which is complete ass, support 4K and add PSVR games. Nonetheless, Microsoft’s 1st party offerings are paltry, at best.
Let me see. Xcloud which i can use it on my mobile. I can also use it on any pc/laptop which chrome browser. I can use gamepass on xbox. I can use gamepass on pc. I can use ea play on xbox and pc. I also get xlive with it. At this point, gamepass value is crazy.

Psnow is pc stream. You cant download them. on ps4, they are downloadable for ps4 games, but not ps2-3 games.

Now tell me, which service has more value?

Top Bottom