• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Sony will announce something to 'counter' Game Pass this summer?

Do you think Sony will announce something to 'counter' Game Pass this summer?

• Total voters

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
oh thank you for warning me. i honestly wanted to try some of ps4 games there. he has 144hz monitor, so Spiderman with ps5 power, and that monitor would have been fantastic view.

Ignore the FUD and just do it. I claimed them for a friend and my little brother who are on PS4, they are all PS4 games and they all work fine. You won't get banned, that happened to people who started selling the action of claiming those games a service and logged in over 50 accounts on their PS5.

TonyK

hahahah. A trillion dollar company makes their games cheaper, because no one wants to buy them. hahahahhahaaha. thank you for the laugh.
Green Arrow Laughing GIF
I don't see anything wrong or laughable in that phrase :messenger_grinning_sweat:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
As someone who uses PSNOW all the time (playing Medievil right now, actually), it’s far, far superior to GamePass, which I only use for Sea of Thieves and AOE.

In my opinion, Microsoft has a long way to go to catch up to PSNOW both in terms of usability, and software quality. A bunch of indie games doesn’t do it for me.

ZywyPL

Banned
This summer/year? No. But I fully expect them to keep further evolving PS+, like PSNow integration, all those free games staying in the library instead of disappearing after a month, and so on They will eventually make it similar to GP, no doubt about it.

Spidey Fan

Banned
It won’t happen anytime soon because Sony is making more than enough money without having to change their business model. There’s no pressure from their user base either.

I personally like that brands do something different and while I can’t imagine myself not using GP in the future I think it’s better if Sony sticks to their strengths.
I want them to focus on psnow. that thing still has value. their great library is there.
I don't see anything wrong or laughable in that phrase :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Its kinda funny the way he said it. If Xbox were really losing like he said, they would have quit like Sega and atari. Not worth in being in console business, if all you do is bleed money.

Malcolm9

If i give you unlimited pass to a disney land, or any entertainment for a small monthly fee, are you gonna take it? That is gamepass. Once people experience the magic, I doubt they will leave. as of now, it doesnt have great games, that will wow people. But 2022 is where hard choice will start. hell blade 2, avowed and starfield for 15$ might be a steal for xbox people. and as for me, the service does what i need. Try as many games as I can. I might find the game i am looking for. So far, my only favorite game is splinter cell series. Havent found a game which will make fall in love with aside of elder scroll series (Mods PC).
People will only stay if the content is there, its not like every game on Gamepass is top quality.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I think Sony will improve its PS Now services a bit more in the future. But that would be just to improve their offerings -- not to compete with Gamepass.

Microsoft introduced this Gamepass model, but they have yet to prove that it is sustainable and profitable. Until they do that, it is useless to expect other companies to abandon their tried-and-tested profitable strategies and adopt someone else's unproven strategy. It doesn't make sense.

Personally, I think Sony should continue doing what they have been doing, but they should also combine PS+ and PS Now. This will simplify their subscription services as currently, it is confusing. Second, despite the substantial increase in PS+ monthly offerings, it does not get the mindshare because of the monthly rollouts and expiration of games.

Combining the PS Now downloadable section + PS+ collection + adding new games that would be added either permanently or for multiple months would allow them to stay in the news and market their subscription service more effectively.
Gamepass is profitable if you stop comparing it like Netflix. Gamepass has other revenues, which netflix doesn't have. You can't buy movies in netflix, or extra content, or buy merchandise of the movies in their netflix sit (you need external web for that).

Gamepass is simply base content, that needs dlc for full package (people buy dlc, and this can be first party games), sells the game (they leave after year, with 20% discount), and you can buy mtx (spent 25$ on fifa. I only did it, since I enjoyed the game). Then you have the sub fee on top of that. While we publicly now the sub is 18m (23m as a rumor), that is still alot of monthly money if you add all of them.

But gamepass is a subscription service. It needs to have new content, so you are constantly reinvesting in it. If you live like that, you will have psnow (3m. Good service, but it seems like Sony doesn't want to focus on it. And big games these days have 4 month stay time).

The goal for it is to have at higher sub count, where reinvesting is low, because the profit is too high. But as of now, all the profits are used for day 1 games. And they will continue to do the same until they get to 50m, and Activision join their games to the service (no way they will give up that walking money bag. 50m is big for them, considering you have pc guys too who loves cod).

And remember, 18m without fable, bethesda games, or any day 1 xbox games. That is still insane for a service who has low 1st party output now. That should quite tell you, people like the games it offers, and not just their 1st party.

Spidey Fan

Banned
People will only stay if the content is there, its not like every game on Gamepass is top quality.
18m with low quality output disagree with you. People aren't 1st party games cult. They like other games gamepass has to offer.

I am not that keen to xbox 1st games that have been released, except fh4. Yet I sub to the service. Because my value is those monthly games they give us. Whether its MlB, Outriders, Octopath travelers, final fantasy games, yakuza games, dragon quest games. Its all there.

The great thing about it, is the genre it offers. You get all kinda of genre people like. Rpg, sports, fighting, platform, shooter. All kind of things people have desire for. Not everyone has same taste.

Spidey Fan

Banned
As someone who uses PSNOW all the time (playing Medievil right now, actually), it’s far, far superior to GamePass, which I only use for Sea of Thieves and AOE.

In my opinion, Microsoft has a long way to go to catch up to PSNOW both in terms of usability, and software quality. A bunch of indie games doesn’t do it for me.
??????.

I have psnow, but in no way its close to gamepass. Stop with those lies please.

Main problem with psnow is you can't download ps2-3 games, while you can with ps4 games. Avengers and the witcher 3 have 4 month stay time, compared to 1 year stay time in gamepass.

The main flavor of gamepass now is day1 games.

Both services is great, and I recommend them getting both. Buy saying psnow is better than gamepass is dishonest.

Arun1910

I hope so, but wouldn't they also need some backwards compat solution? Sure it isn't necessary but they're really limiting themselves with just PS4/5 games at the moment.

The goal for it is to have at higher sub count, where reinvesting is low, because the profit is too high. But as of now, all the profits are used for day 1 games. And they will continue to do the same until they get to 50m, and Activision join their games to the service (no way they will give up that walking money bag. 50m is big for them, considering you have pc guys too who loves cod).
You live in fantasy land.

Spidey Fan

Banned
And for everyone that leaves, new people will join. You dont need to please everyone. You just need to make it attractive so people can join them.

I don't like recent games that come to gamepass. And not a fan of outriders, yakuza games, or mlb the show. But there is plenty of things I can try it. That is the reason why I am in the service. There are others like me, who does the same. Is it perfect, no. But is it good to try out new games, yes. That is entire benefits to it.

Play at your own pace. You dont like it, you can cancel it. And join when it has the games you want. That freedom is what makes it great. I used to sub a month, quit a month after that, then next month or so. Works great as a new experience (since you find new patch of games ready).

Kumomeme

more exclusives...ps+ collection update etc.

from what i see, Sony didnt rushing to answer the bussiness model at all.

Spidey Fan

Banned
You live in fantasy land.
Not so much as the 10m jump in just 1 year. Last year, it was 8m, now its 18m. And that is without the big 1st party hitters. Its common sense to assume to sub will hit 30m-50m this year, by just doing halo, fh5, whatever bethesda has, 3rd party exclusive day1 games.

If 18m is from poor party games (aside of fh4), why do you think they got that number. Its because people enjoy other games gamepass offer. They just need to do better on both of them. 1st party, and put other good games (this is the reason I sub for. 1st party is extra cake for me).

Not so much as the 10m jump in just 1 year. Last year, it was 8m, now its 18m. And that is without the big 1st party hitters. Its common sense to assume to sub will hit 30m-50m this year, by just doing halo, fh5, whatever bethesda has, 3rd party exclusive day1 games.

If 18m is from poor party games (aside of fh4), why do you think they got that number. Its because people enjoy other games gamepass offer. They just need to do better on both of them. 1st party, and put other good games (this is the reason I sub for. 1st party is extra cake for me).
Fantasy numbers and tales from your ass.

Activision considering day 1 CoD on GP.
Clown Conancon2019 GIF by Team Coco

Spidey Fan

Banned
Fantasy numbers and tales from your ass.

Activision considering day 1 CoD on GP.
Clown Conancon2019 GIF by Team Coco
If ea can join gamepass, anything is possible at this point. It will all depend on that battlefield day1. Once it happens, Activision won't stay quiet. Or let ea get those wallets.

Matt_Fox

Only 2% of Sony console owners subscribe to PS Now.

If 98 out of 100 of your customers aren't interested then you need to do better.

For me, I suspect it wont be long before Sony rolls PS Now into PS+ to create extra value. It might not include new release AAA titles like Microsoft's service but it would significantly strengthen their subscriber offering and ward off defectors.

If ea can join gamepass, anything is possible at this point. It will all depend on that battlefield day1. Once it happens, Activision won't stay quiet. Or let ea get those wallets.
Battlefield is in decline and does not have the same importance to EA.

hemo memo

Gold Member

Sometimes people are so far up a company’s ass that a post like this is hard to know if true or sarcasm.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Battlefield is in decline and does not have the same importance to EA.
It doesn't matter if its on decline or not, that is gigantic game that would be impossible to ignore, if its day 1 gamepass.

Activation earned more money on warzone and cod mobile, than they could by selling their games.

People spend more money, when the product is free, or somewhat free.

I am just waiting this e3, and French gamepass announcement today and Tomorrow.

Hope this pushes Sony to go hard on psnow. 3m is a shame for a service that offers good games.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Sometimes people are so far up a company’s ass that a post like this is hard to know if true or sarcasm.
If he uses it on his ps4, he won't know it. He never tried that horrible pc psnow, or that game streaming aspect. I wonder how it is now. Is the experience good than the last time.

Its a shame such a good is treated like unwanted child.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I’d rather have a new IP in development than anything to do with subscription.
You can have both. Those subscription allows extra money for devs to make more games. Look at ps+ sub count. That is a nice revenue for Sony to invest in their games.

Varteras

Gold Member
I think they'll simply continue to make improvements here and there to their various services but I do not think Sony will try to play the same game as Microsoft. PS Now is a supplemental service for the eco system. Not its driving force. PS Plus is already approaching the 50 million subscriber mark and we can clearly see Sony is spending a little more on the free games for it. They aren't even remotely hurting for money from their services. I'm more interested to see what they plan on doing with the $18.4 billion over three years that they're using for investments in their entertainment branches. What will they use directly for PlayStation and how, if at all, will their investments elsewhere come back to boosting the brand?

Spidey Fan

Banned
I think they'll simply continue to make improvements here and there to their various services but I do not think Sony will try to play the same game as Microsoft. PS Now is a supplemental service for the eco system. Not its driving force. PS Plus is already approaching the 50 million subscriber mark and we can clearly see Sony is spending a little more on the free games for it. They aren't even remotely hurting for money from their services. I'm more interested to see what they plan on doing with the $18.4 billion over three years that they're using for investments in their entertainment branches. What will they use directly for PlayStation and how, if at all, will their investments elsewhere come back to boosting the brand?
Sony has 1 advantage over Microsoft. Their music and movies department. Those 2 can help their gaming department. Movies can give them ips to make games (spiderman), while music helps them with game music, and ps5 sound output.

Microsoft doesn't have those, so they have to spend quite alot of money to get those.

I wonder what movies ip should Sony use to make games. They can make vampire games based on their morbius ip. men in black, ghost busters, zombie land, venom game will be a great games for them.

It doesn't matter if its on decline or not, that is gigantic game that would be impossible to ignore, if its day 1 gamepass.

Activation earned more money on warzone and cod mobile, than they could by selling their games.

People spend more money, when the product is free, or somewhat free.

I am just waiting this e3, and French gamepass announcement today and Tomorrow.

Hope this pushes Sony to go hard on psnow. 3m is a shame for a service that offers good games.
Happy Excuse Me GIF

Warzone and Mobile are free 2 play, there is nothing GP can offer for those games.

Last edited:
Counting chickens before they hatch seem to be order of the day for the last few years in the Xbox community. Anyone can look back at posts last year trash-talking about how Halo Infinite is going to blow our socks off at console launch. Now the same happpens with Gamepass.

Yes, of course, Gamepass is in the growth phase and they just MIGHT succeed in being the future of gaming one day. But the key word is MIGHT. Here we have a thread started by someone who very much assume Gamepass has already succeeded, and is confused when I told him it has not.

You know what was the latest PR for Gamepass? A confused and strange claim that Gamepass customers spend more time gaming than people who don't pay for subscription services. That was somehow suppose to be some kind of win, even though anyone who looked into it wonder why it was worth the promotional dollars.

That thread started with Xbox customers celebrating, and ended with everyone admitting it was just marketing speak that had no good news or bad news about Gamepass. The charts and words ended up being meaningless.

And that was the BEST thing Xbox marketing could come up with. "Gamepass customers are more hardcore than people who don't subscribe to gaming services".

Last edited:

CeeJay

This summer - No.
Before the gen ends - Yes.
Yeah this is how I see it. The GamePass strategy is as much to do with the way that the first party games are built as it is with the contracts and infrastructure of the service itself and Sony's games are in no way the kind of games that would work with keeping long term engagement from the player base. Xbox are increasingly going GAAS and the majority of their titles this generation will feel more like F2P games with "battle pass" or equivalent as the main revenue generator. Sea of Thieves was the first to go this route and is doing extremely well because of it, Forza Motorsport has been confirmed to be dropping the numbered editions, Halo "Infinite" hints at a similar strategy with it's name. Other publishers such as Ubisoft have given statements saying that they are going to have a significant number of F2P games this generation, COD Warzone and Apex Legends are F2P and of course you have Fortnite. EA bundling all their games into GamePass shows that they are going a similar route. The whole industry clearly has a direction of travel towards the F2P GAAS model and GamePass is in a lot of ways a cheeky way to charge people for F2P games while also being able to offer single player only games as well.

Sony's first party games tend to be single player focussed and have a defined start and finish led by the narrative, this is what Sony are amazing at. Sony putting all their games day one on a subscription service would get a lot of people subbing for a month, playing the latest game and then cancelling until the next game they want to play is released. Once you have completed a Sony first party game there is little reason to keep coming back and they tend to rely on the revenue for the first few weeks sales to fund the development costs.

Sony games are very much like a big blockbuster Hollywood movie with a really nicely written script that tells a great story whereas the GAAS and F2P games are more like a continuous series where the script writers work quickly to knock out a script that takes the story in whatever direction they think will get the most viewers.

If Sony wanted to follow Xbox with a GamePass like service they would first need to transition the way that they build games towards longer term engagement although in reality I think they will do something different that works more with their unique identity. I can't see Sony fully going the GAAS F2P route and following the other big publishers, I can see them doing their own thing whatever that turns out to be.

If Sony wanted to follow Xbox with a GamePass like service they would first need to transition the way that they build games towards longer term engagement although in reality I think they will do something different that works more with their unique identity. I can't see Sony fully going the GAAS F2P route and following the other big publishers, I can see them doing their own thing whatever that turns out to be.
The thing is, Sony doesn't NEED to pick one or the other, because they have the Playstation Platform that allow them to earn 30% cut of all the GAAS and F2P games that run on Playstation. They had been having their cake and eat it too for at least two console gens now, and it seems to have no reason to end. This is linked to the number of Playstation consoles in the hands of gamers.

While Microsoft is abandoning their traditional platform for Gamepass. Because they couldn't get enough consoles sold to thus earn as much as Sony. Good luck to them in their attempt to find new revenue streams. Microsoft isn't going all in on Gamepass because they feel the Console model is failing; they just failed at succeeding at the console model and came third behind Sony and Nintendo.

I guess my point is that Gamepass is MS going off the beaten path because they had no choice. And i wish them luck. But if you don't think this is a risky gamble then you don't understand why MS did it.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yeah this is how I see it. The GamePass strategy is as much to do with the way that the first party games are built as it is with the contracts and infrastructure of the service itself and Sony's games are in no way the kind of games that would work with keeping long term engagement from the player base. Xbox are increasingly going GAAS and the majority of their titles this generation will feel more like F2P games with "battle pass" or equivalent as the main revenue generator. Sea of Thieves was the first to go this route and is doing extremely well because of it, Forza Motorsport has been confirmed to be dropping the numbered editions, Halo "Infinite" hints at a similar strategy with it's name. Other publishers such as Ubisoft have given statements saying that they are going to have a significant number of F2P games this generation, COD Warzone and Apex Legends are F2P and of course you have Fortnite. EA bundling all their games into GamePass shows that they are going a similar route. The whole industry clearly has a direction of travel towards the F2P GAAS model and GamePass is in a lot of ways a cheeky way to charge people for F2P games while also being able to offer single player only games as well.

Sony's first party games tend to be single player focussed and have a defined start and finish led by the narrative, this is what Sony are amazing at. Sony putting all their games day one on a subscription service would get a lot of people subbing for a month, playing the latest game and then cancelling until the next game they want to play is released. Once you have completed a Sony first party game there is little reason to keep coming back and they tend to rely on the revenue for the first few weeks sales to fund the development costs.

Sony games are very much like a big blockbuster Hollywood movie with a really nicely written script that tells a great story whereas the GAAS and F2P games are more like a continuous series where the script writers work quickly to knock out a script that takes the story in whatever direction they think will get the most viewers.

You don’t need the same Day 1 first party Gamepass strategy. PS+ already had small titles released day 1 like Soulstorm. They just need a 1 service focus. Merge PS+ with PSNow and instead of the current PS+ strategy of having to add the games on your collection for a month only or it is gone. I mean for a new PS+ subscriber or someone just moved from Xbox, it is a stupidly low value because you’ll only have the games of 1 month only. PS+ Collection is a good start. Add on it. Build a library slowly. You don’t need 1st party titles dropping day 1 on the service but give players a good value to subscribe for a long time.

CeeJay

The thing is, Sony doesn't NEED to pick one or the other, because they have the Playstation Platform that allow them to earn 30% cut of all the GAAS and F2P games that run on Playstation. They had been having their cake and eat it too for at least two console gens now, and it seems to have no reason to end. This is linked to the number of Playstation consoles in the hands of gamers.

While Microsoft is abandoning their traditional platform for Gamepass. Because they couldn't get enough consoles sold to thus earn as much as Sony. Good luck to them in their attempt to find new revenue streams. Microsoft isn't going all in on Gamepass because they feel the Console model is failing; they just failed at succeeding at the console model and came third behind Sony and Nintendo.

I guess my point is that Gamepass is MS going off the beaten path because they had no choice. And i wish them luck. But if you don't think this is a risky gamble then you don't understand why MS did it.
You can't always look back to see what things are going to be like going forward.

Microsoft isn't abandoning anything and although not the market leader they are certainly not failing in the console space, in fact they have doubled down on the traditional console market by releasing two brand new and totally different consoles day one. What Microsoft are doing is spreading their eco-system out with multiple entry points across multiple different devices which honestly seems like a savvy thing to do. You never know which revenue pools will dry up and which will become more popular over time, if you have all of them tapped then you got a better chance of staying where the customer is. As I said, Sony probably won't go with the same model but they will do something or they risk being left on their own in a rapidly shrinking market. Sure right now they are doing pretty good but, the traditional console market isn't forecast to grow significantly and a lot of analysts have been forecasting its shrinkage for many years with mobile and streaming taking casual gamer marketshare. The PC market is also doing really well with a lot of those guys seeing absolutely no need to get a console any longer and is rapidly becoming the hardcore gamer's platform of choice. PCs are more accessible and easier to manage than ever before so traditional console gamers are seeing it as a viable alternative (GPU availability permitting) . The console market may well buck the trend and those analysts may well be wrong all over again but as a corporation relying on that 30% cut from the store is it worth risking or do you diversify to maintain and offer opportunities to increase revenue?

This isn't about a Microsoft vs Sony console war with winners and losers, this is about a clear and rapid shift beginning to take place in the market and adapting to it to maintain position in that market.

fermcr

Playstation gamers have claimed in various occasions that they aren't interested in Gamepass.... so Sony will do nothing.

CeeJay

You don’t need the same Day 1 first party Gamepass strategy. PS+ already had small titles released day 1 like Soulstorm. They just need a 1 service focus. Merge PS+ with PSNow and instead of the current PS+ strategy of having to add the games on your collection for a month only or it is gone. I mean for a new PS+ subscriber or someone just moved from Xbox, it is a stupidly low value because you’ll only have the games of 1 month only. PS+ Collection is a good start. Add on it. Build a library slowly. You don’t need 1st party titles dropping day 1 on the service but give players a good value to subscribe for a long time.
As Sony, do you also try to add value into this proposition by utilising the other media arms of the business or do you keep them distinctly separate?

Sony have themselves hinted on a number of occasions how they are going to do more collaborative work between their different businesses and I can see this as being a key strength for them that no one else can match. Sony have a strong movie, TV and music business to go along with gaming which could lead to some unique subscription offerings in the future. Only Amazon really have any penetration in all those sectors albeit with a particularly immature gaming business. I can see them merging PS+ and PSNow as well but I can also see this as part of a bigger and more modular subscription service strategy.

This isn't about a Microsoft vs Sony console war with winners and losers, this is about a clear and rapid shift beginning to take place in the market and adapting to it to maintain position in that market.
"Maintain position in that market"?
As in, coming THIRD behind Sony and Nintendo?
You expect Microsoft to maintain their current position by going all in on Gamepass? You are more pessimistic than I am.

If all you expect is for MS to come third at the end of it all, then what is the point of going all in on Gamepass?

Wait... Are you telling me MS is actually ahead in gaming right now? You actually Believe that?

Top Bottom