• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Sony should continue marketing CoD or start to wean their userbase off?

Do you think its in Sonys best interest if they continue to market Call of Duty up until the point where they can’t anymore, hopefully in regards to letting their fan base know it will be on their platform for the foreseeable future and try to retain them on that promise or…..

Do you think Sony should slowly start weaning their fanbase off Call of Duty, even with marketing rights. Maybe, they can lessen the impact of the franchise potentially leaving if they slowly stop marketing it as much and possibly ramp up marketing for their own FPS titles or another big 3rd party in the meantime while they still have majority influence? Say they start advertising the next Bungie game next year, or Firewalk/deviation’s Multiplayer game.

What would you do if you were in Sonys position of losing one of their biggest money makers within the next two years?

Kagey K

Banned
I guess if they are interested in breaking the contract with Activision, Activision and MS are going to have little hesitation to let them.

It may not be in Sony's best interest though.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They probably have a commitment in terms of marketing spend so might not be 100% possible.

These marketing deals are usually meant to benefit the platform holder, not the publisher. The intent is to slap the platform's logo on the commercials to fool the uninformed and make them believe the game can only be played on that console.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
These marketing deals are usually meant to benefit the platform holder, not the publisher. The intent is to slap the platform's logo on the commercials to fool the uninformed and make them believe the game can only be played on that console.
It's also free marketing for the publisher, especially if it's a platform that sees the most engagement in the social sphere.

reksveks

The deals benefit both companies.

It's also offsets the marketing costs for the publisher so they both basically commit a certain amount of spend towards marketing. Gets a bit insidious if one of the companies has a media arm with advertising but ehh.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm sure Xbox would be more than happy to accommodate Sony if they want to back out of their marketing deal. CoD MW Day 1 on Game Pass, Yay!

Otherwise, I'm sure just as Xbox is obligated to allow Activision to adhere to the contract, I'm sure Sony is required to adhere to their end of the contract as well.

Last edited:
No chance. They are going to market it as much as they can to get people buying more of their consoles. Those doing that though will likely have a shock if MS decide that they won’t release on Sony platforms after the next few years.

Zok310

Banned
Never get off the gravy train until it runs dry.
A 97 year old man told me this and in this case to answer your question, Sony should hold out until MS begin to try and subjugate PS in order for them to keep COD on the PS platform.
Once it gets to that point then they should bail the fuck up out of there.

Begleiter

Reckon they will probably go into co-marketing Battlefield after the contract has run its course, maybe invest more into Epic and Fortnite as well. They can't produce their own competing title with comparable release cycles.

John Wick

Sony has to be actively developing several Exclusive Multiplayer FPS. To be ready in 3-4 years.

That bullshit reported from the Brazilian documents ain't real; is just PR Spin.
Exactly!
Sony should right now have Bungie put a team together to make an exclusive multiplayer shooter. Also GG should be developing one. A team should be put together to reboot MAG.
Sony probably knows in 3 years time COD is gone. They have no excuses to not be prepared. They could also co-develop with another studio etc.
I tell you what I wouldn't mind Housemarque having a crack maybe in conjuction with Bungie for example. Given a good budget and help could be something special?

Last edited:
Until Sony can deliver a must-have first party alternative to COD, whether is be a military shooter or just a very polished and innovative multiplayer experience, they will have no other choice than to continue to prop-up COD. Sony has Bungie under their control now, but Destiny will remain multiplatform and there is no guarantee that Bungie's next IP will be a big hit or even be PlayStation exclusive.

Dane

They will keep doing the basics after the deal ends, its a money machine, why trash it for spite?

odhiex

I thought COD "will always be" multi platform including PlayStation ? even after the acquisition between Microsoft and Activision Blizzard is closed ? So, I don't know. I don't care much of CODs, but I am aware that it is too big of a franchise to keep as an exclusive.

I could see a Day 1 on Game Pass thing in the future tho.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
They should be slapping Destiny 2 all over their store front
nUm4aFt.gif

Honestly dont get why the shittest games are the most popular.

jaysius

Banned
MAG was fun, it's a shame that I dunno what really went wrong, but I enjoyed it.

They really should pay a fuck ton of money and make a Killzone to rival COD the Killzone single player portions were pretty solid overall.

Hell dig Resistance up from the grave.

COME ON SONY, you have multiple successful FPS IPs here.

Exactly!
Sony should right now have Bungie put a team together to make an exclusive multiplayer shooter. Also GG should be developing one. A team should be put together to reboot MAG.
Sony probably knows in 3 years time COD is gone. They have no excuses to not be prepared. They could also co-develop with another studio etc.
I tell you what I wouldn't mind Housemarque having a crack maybe in conjuction with Bungie for example. Given a good budget and help could be something special?
I am pretty sure Deviation is making an FPS as well.

yurinka

CoD will continue being on PS and looking at its PSVR2 seems to coninue having deals wih Sony, so there's no reason to stop promoting it.

Pretty likely until Sony stops making deals with it, it won't be day one on GP. Once the deals with Sony end and it continues as multiplatform but putting it on GP day one maybe Sony already will have the new Bungie IPs and Firewalk game on the market, and who knows if a shooter from Guerrilla, Firesprite or London, and with the Deviation game in the works.

Then will be the time for Sony to stop marketing CoD and spend that money instead in these other games.

I thought COD "will always be" multi platform including PlayStation ? even after the acquisition between Microsoft and Activision Blizzard is closed ? So, I don't know. I don't care much of CODs, but I am aware that it is too big of a franchise to keep as an exclusive.

MS's idea is that after the acquisition closes and after they honor pending deals with Sony (which apparently prevent day one on GP for now) CoD and other important Activision Blizzard IPs would continue multiplatform.

Not only in PS, but will expand some of them like CoD to Switch. But being freed from deals with Sony once they end, they would be day one on GP.

Last edited:

Smoke6

Well all Sony had to do is reboot socom without the COD crap and bring back a fully remastered killzone 2 with online play and we’re golden at least for me

C2brixx

I don't think there is a substitute for COD. The amount of studios and man power thrown at developing that game is ridiculous. This is like Sony "weaning" itself of GTA. The isn't a substitute for GTA.

ZehDon

Gold Member
If Sony walks away from COD, they'll be shooting themselves in the foot early in the PS5's life. COD drives insane business, especially for PSN. There's a reason Sony is pivoting to GaaS titles from its studios: they want the kind of money COD brings in every year without relying on third parties. Bungie was a step towards that, but they couldn't even lock them down to platform exclusives.

With that said, there's a reason Microsoft bought AB: Sony dominates the third person cinematic action adventure game sub-genre, but little else. With COD now in Microsoft's camp, Microsoft has shored up a deep and varied stable of massive titles. Sony will need to diversify, or it'll find itself stuck remaking TLOU for the next ten years.

HTK

Banned
If you think Sony will produce a game that makes people get a PlayStation 5 and it's exclusive to the console you're living a fairy tale scenario. Best Sony can do is put out a good Multiplayer product but it has to be cross-platform with PC to stand a chance.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't think there is a substitute for COD. The amount of studios and man power thrown at developing that game is ridiculous. This is like Sony "weaning" itself of GTA. The isn't a substitute for GTA.
Floating hand holding gun game gets done a lot, though. I honestly don't understand the hysteria around this game. Just call it whatever super patriotic title you can think of, put Sony's logo on it, and everyone will buy it, right?

Ansphn

Playstation has 3 years to give their base some alternatives to COD. It's inevitable that 2 scenarios can happen depending on the success of Gamepass and Xbox in general in the next 3 years.

Scenario #1 : Gamepass is a huge success and Xbox is making real profit from the model = Xbox will 100% remove COD from Playstation so they can squeeze the life out of the brand and become the new king of gaming.

Scenario # 2 : Gamepass is a failure so Xbox needs the Playstation base to survive and Xbox/Gamepass transitions into a 3rd party gaming company.

Playstation cannot leave it up to chance so they're already investing into Deviation, Firwalk and of course Bungie to make sure they can give their base that FPS alternative.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I honestly don’t think Microsoft will pull COD from Sony. I think Sony is going to keep getting the yearly games and all the DLC and battle passes.

What Sony users will miss out on is getting the game on gamepass day one. I don’t think it benefits Microsoft to make cod exclusive. Simply having every COD available on gamepass day one will be benefit enough.

As well locking out Sony would be costing Microsoft massive dollars in income from the PS5 user base.

CoD will continue being on PS and looking at its PSVR2 seems to coninue having deals wih Sony, so there's no reason to stop promoting it.

Pretty likely until Sony stops making deals with it, it won't be day one on GP. Once the deals with Sony end and it continues as multiplatform but putting it on GP day one maybe Sony already will have the new Bungie IPs and Firewalk game on the market, and who knows if a shooter from Guerrilla, Firesprite or London, and with the Deviation game in the works.

Then will be the time for Sony to stop marketing CoD and spend that money instead in these other games.

MS's idea is that after the acquisition closes and after they honor pending deals with Sony (which apparently prevent day one on GP for now) CoD and other important Activision Blizzard IPs would continue multiplatform.

Not only in PS, but will expand some of them like CoD to Switch. But being freed from deals with Sony once they end, they would be day one on GP.
You're out of your mind if you think the COD's aren't hitting game pass day one lmao

Only way they aren't is if the deal hasn't closed

John Wick

That's because it is a yearly franchise. Sony don't need one every year. But it all depends on how successful it is.

C2brixx

That's because it is a yearly franchise. Sony don't need one every year. But it all depends on how successful it is.
Any exclusive FPS Sony comes up with will suffer the same console warrior bs Halo suffers from. COD's appeal is that it's everywhere. That's why it will stay that way after MS buy Activision.

If there is an ongoing contract then they won't be on GP day one.
A marketing partnership is not the same thing as a stipulation that it can't be put on gamepass.

It could be in there, nobody knows, but I sincerely doubt that Sony knew Microsoft would acquire them when it was made, and if they were going to pay extra to keep it off gamepass they'd probably have paid extra for timed exclusivity.... They didn't.

John Wick

A marketing partnership is not the same thing as a stipulation that it can't be put on gamepass.

It could be in there, nobody knows, but I sincerely doubt that Sony knew Microsoft would acquire them when it was made, and if they were going to pay extra to keep it off gamepass they'd probably have paid extra for timed exclusivity.... They didn't.
They paid Capcom not to allow Resident Evil 7 on GP for the first 12 months. Can someone else confirm this?
It could be the same for COD. I don't know that's why I said if there is an ongoing contract.

They paid Capcom not to allow Resident Evil 7 on GP for the first 12 months. Can someone else confirm this?
It could be the same for COD. I don't know that's why I said if there is an ongoing contract.
Ahh my bad I thought you were referring to the marketing deal. Can't speak to resident evil 7 myself, but we'll find out soon enough I suppose

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I believe Phil said they're not gonna take games away from the PlayStation audience, but that probably means that Warzone will remain but all future main CODs after 2023 or so will be Xbox/PC only.

And before anyone says "Microsoft would be dumb to not release these games everywhere, why would they want to leave money on the table?": Starfield and (almost certainly) TES6.

Last edited:
Top Bottom