• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think PSVR2 will catapult VR into the mainstream?

Do you think the PSVR2 will outsell the Quest 2?

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
the VR scene has been at the best it's been in the past decade. New hardware is cheap and affordable for most people, more and more VR games are coming out, and sales are surprisingly high. the Oculus Quest 2 sold more than the new fucking Xbox (almost 15 million units as of June this year), and is on its way to do PS2 numbers at this rate. Do you think the PSVR2, with the sheer popularity of the PS5 and Playstation brand, combined with the massive popularity of VR, will outsell the Quest 2 and go on to become the most popular VR headset? The original PSVR failed out of a lack of interest and shitty specs- a PS4 does not have what it takes to do VR. you will simply barf. The PS5 on the other hand is extremely powerful and Sony has a massive list of developers under their wing who could easily be used to make very popular VR games. I honestly think it could happen- and although i'm intrigued and excited, i'm also kind of concerned since i don't really have a PS5, so if it DOES end up succeeding all the best VR titles might go to that platform instead which i'm not exactly happy about. Still though, I think there's potential here, and I'd really like to see VR get more exposure so larger developers can make more games for it and grow the platform as a whole (without it killing off TV gaming, of course)

Banned
no. you need a PS5 and a PSVR2, then you have to use it via cable.

the only mainstream ready VR headset is still the Quest series. they are standalone, completely wireless and cheap since you only need the heacdset and no PC or console to drive it.

the Quest is basically a dedicated VR console, it is what the Virtual Boy dreamt to be one day

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
It will ultimately depend on the price and the software lineup.
Maybe not PS5 mainstream, but will it certainly help expand the market.

EekTheKat

IMHO

As strange as it might sound, the weak point of PSVR is arguably the need to be tethered to a literal unicorn that many people can't find or buy.

Having to explain they'll need to buy a $499 box that may or may not be in stock on top of the asking price of a PSVR2 already rules out a good chunk of the mainstream casuals.

It makes sense for the fanbase or even to some in certain gaming circles, but trying to justify that to the mainstream will be a very hard sell.

hlm666

VR tethered to other hardware is never going to be the mainstream device. Mass market will need something they can put on wherever whenever and a small form factor. Probably 10 years away from anything that will potentially go mainstream and it will be a small standalone device people will use to watch sports and live entertainment like concerts that will propel it.

drezz

Ops, I voted based on title, not on the question on the POLL.
OT: No I dont think so.
But I do think it will help "catapult" VR into more homes.
Regardless of it outselling it... Im just hoping for some great games to come from it.
VR has so much potential for new gameplay AND improving upon the tride and true we have been finetuning for so many years.

Also with PSVR2 we can have some local play as well, one with headset and others with controllers.
Just wondering if... the two controllers that comes with PSVR2 takes up 2 of the 4 blutooth slots on the PS5.
If so, we go from potential 4Controllers vs 1 VR local player, too 2Controllers VS 1VR local; which would be a damn shame, PSVR1 had some fun mini games for couch play.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I am going to wait to vote until a price is announced. In today's climate most households can't afford boutique indulgences like this. If Sony does their typical Sony move of overpricing their ancillary hardware it will be dead on arrival.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Talking Blah Blah Blah GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Ops, I voted based on title, not on the question on the POLL.
OT: No I dont think so.
But I do think it will help "catapult" VR into more homes.
Regardless of it outselling it... Im just hoping for some great games to come from it.
VR has so much potential for new gameplay AND improving upon the tride and true we have been finetuning for so many years.
the title was a bit of a fluke, i meant to retitle it to "Do you think PSVR2 will outsell the Quest 2" to be more inline to the poll
that being said, i appreciate your input anyways

Last edited:
IMHO

As strange as it might sound, the weak point of PSVR is arguably the need to be tethered to a literal unicorn that many people can't find or buy.

Having to explain they'll need to buy a $499 box that may or may not be in stock on top of the asking price of a PSVR2 already rules out a good chunk of the mainstream casuals.

It makes sense for the fanbase or even to some in certain gaming circles, but trying to justify that to the mainstream will be a very hard sell.

It’ll be compatible with PC I imagine

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I can’t see any difference in Sony’s strategy over the first PSVR. I’m not expecting a different result.
more high budget games being made for the device- playstation literally made a Horizon VR game. If their strategy was the same they wouldn't be putting their biggest franchises to work on a product like VR

Nydius

Man, that was one helluva bait and switch between the thread title and the actual poll question.

To answer the thread title, I still don't see VR as being anything beyond a niche market. The price tag, the space requirements, the lack of game support, and the fact that there are a lot of people who just can't handle VR (medically*) will probably always keep the audience limited.

[* People like myself. I have mild myopia but with a strong astigmatism. VR, even in its best implementations, plays havoc with my astigmatism, gives me lots of light halos and nausea which leads to migraines. There's a lot of people with eyesight limitations for whom VR just won't be a pleasant experience. At least not with current hardware.]

playstation literally made a Horizon VR game

Did you watch the State of Play footage of that game? It looks like a hurried shovelware spin-off that lacks any of the charm of the Horizon franchise. Sorry, it just does and I say that as a massive HZD/HFW fanboy. Nothing about it makes me want to play it. It reminds me of all the on-rails shovelware that got put on Kinect.

Last edited:

Menzies

Banned
more high budget games being made for the device- playstation literally made a Horizon VR game. If their strategy was the same they wouldn't be putting their biggest franchises to work on a product like VR
Yes, it’s a Horizon-named game, developed by Firesprite and not Guerilla. I wish the game to do well, but Sony isn’t risking their top talent on VR games again. So why should I bother when they can’t be arsed to support it.

reksveks

The only way that the Psvr2 outsells the quest 2 is if Meta ends the quest 2 lifespan pretty soon (aka quest 3 comes out soon and they stop the quest 2). Otherwise nope.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yes, it’s a Horizon-named game, developed by Firesprite and not Guerilla. I wish the game to do well, but Sony isn’t risking their top talent on VR games again. So why should I bother when they can’t be arsed to support it.
The game is being devloped by Firesprite because they have experience in VR, while Guerilla has none.

Sony putting only Guerilla on the VR title right away would be an idiotic decision.
-
As for the topic, no. But when it comes to VR gaming getting a push, it'll be doing basically all of it, because Quest 2 titles sure as hell aren't.

Last edited:

Menzies

Banned
The game is being devloped by Firesprite because they have experience in VR, while Guerilla has none.

Sony putting only Guerilla on the VR title right away would be an idiotic decision.
-
As for the topic, no. But when it comes to VR gaming getting a push, it'll be doing basically all of it, because Quest 2 titles sure as hell aren't.
Don’t we all have to start somewhere?

Isn’t this Sony’s problem to fix before releasing the device? How about they actually, not even stick a neck out but at least dip a toe in (risk wise) and invest in some proper internal studio training and support versus relying on third parties.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Don’t we all have to start somewhere?

Isn’t this Sony’s problem to fix before releasing the device? How about they actually, not even stick a neck out but at least dip a toe in (risk wise) and invest in some proper internal studio training and support versus relying on third parties.
They could very well be doing that with other studios, especially if they want to do hybrid games.

jaysius

Banned
The main issues with PSVR 2 is the time it takes to release it, by the time it finally releases many other VR sets will have better tech. If Sony want's to be serious in the VR market they need to churn these things out faster than they're doing.

The price is another factor $500(for PS5)+ whatever cost they're sticking on the headset bundle that you'll require.

Also when it does come out charging the price, which will be inevitably too high for what it is, and still having it wired, will make it a really bad deal.

VR is still not going to be mainstream. If anyone is going to push VR into the mainstream it's unfortunately Meta(fuck I vomited a little in my mouth), it's fucked up but it's true.

mxbison

Nah, that will be Meta or Apple probably with a VR/AR set more focused on Social Media.

I think PSVR2 will be a success and grow the medium, but not a huge game changer.

Until VR comes down in price and is no harder than putting on a pair of Ski glasses on, VR will never be mainstream. Still, that doesn't matter at all, it's a fantastic add-on and can transform games and the player experience. I don't see it much different from how ForceFeedback racing wheels will never be mainstream, doesn't mean they don't sell well enough and they totally add to the gaming exp

drezz

-
100% agree
Even games that comes out on more platform end up holding it back, limitations of enemies on screen, animations, and different variables due to the limitiaions of hardware running inside the quest 2.
At least we can up the graphics and res from thoose games, but still end up lacking.
PSVR2 will at a point do so as well, but at least a huge leap forwards.

Banned
The price is another factor $500(for PS5)+ whatever cost they're sticking on the headset bundle that you'll require.

honestly if PSVR2 costs more than maybe 250€ or at most 300€ it will fail imo...
it should be at most 250€ given the hardware it uses.

drezz

No, I don't think VR will ever be that mass market mainstream product simply because it's pretty much a one person experience.
With PSVR 1 on PS4, you could play 4 Astrobots VS a giga lizard thing fighting it, and some other Mech game were VR guy was using a minigun to fight off a hord while the players ran around the minigun turret and defended it. Silly games, but REALLY fun with friends when over.
Quest 2 doesnt have that.. apart from some phone intergration stuff that end up being more problematic then its worth, sadly.
With PSVR 2 on PS5 I really hope we get to experience a full couch with someone on VR goofying off with some fun MP games.
And that again goes back to my tech question
if... the two controllers that comes with PSVR2 takes up 2 of the 4 blutooth slots on the PS5.
If so, we go from potential 4Controllers vs 1 VR local player, too 2Controllers VS 1VR local; which would be a damn shame, PSVR1 had some fun mini games for couch play.
That would put a 5player experience down too 3 sadly.
But still some fun games I hope.

drezz

honestly if PSVR2 costs more than maybe 250€ or at most 300€ it will fail imo...
it should be at most 250€ given the hardware it uses.
I'd bet 350 standalone or 399 with a launch game.
Or maybe a bigger game bundel at 499
Maybe a Big Combo Pack at 999 - PS5+VR+BigVR game bundle and a year of PS+

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Until VR comes down in price and is no harder than putting on a pair of Ski glasses on, VR will never be mainstream. Still, that doesn't matter at all, it's a fantastic add-on and can transform games and the player experience. I don't see it much different from how ForceFeedback racing wheels will never be mainstream, doesn't mean they don't sell well enough and they totally add to the gaming exp
as dumb as it sounds i always liked how big and bulky VR headsets are, that kind of technology seems too advanced to ever be compressed inside a tiny set of glasses, and if it did, it's probably going to not be much better than those VR experiments like google cardboard from a couple years back. plus, they have more space to make it look visually appealing
as for the price argument, i feel that 300 dollars is the closest we can go to cheap and affordable before the compromises become too much for it to become worth it. maybe when the quest 3 comes out they can lower the price to 240 for the quest 2

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yeah, I cant wait to wear a fucking piece of electronic on my forehead when it's 100 degrees outside. I'm sure PSVR2 will be awesome and change the market forever.
oh no, it's 100 degrees outside. Too bad, it's not like you can play VR inside, like this absolutely sucks

Last edited:

Sybrix

If i could be bothered to search, i could probably find this exact thread for when PSVR came out....

VR will always be niche, i got PSVR when its first came out, played it for first few months, it was interesting, different and gimmicky, after a few months the novelty wares off.

The same will be for PSVR2.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Until VR comes down in price and is no harder than putting on a pair of Ski glasses on

My Reverb G2s sits standby on my desk and I can just put it on with one hand and it nstantly switches itself on and is ready to go. I can just point at a game in the UI and play it with no fuzz, and it works every time. Things have been moving forward in the user friendliness department lately.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nah, a gaming headset is not going to make VR go mainstream.

Meta Quest has already done that.
they are popular but i wouldn't say they are mainstream. it's still a niche product.

i think once Apple release their headset next year that might change things. maybe not straight away. it could take until their 2nd gen model and i think Facebook would need to release a new Quest to compete with Apple. It'll be interesting to see how AR/VR does then. When I see someone outside wearing an AR/VR headset then that's what i call mainstream.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
probably will be way too expensive

A $500 ps5 plus a $300+ vr headset is going to price many out of the market.

No, I just don't think entertainment is going to be the key to widespread usage. In the greater scheme of things, PSVR1 and Valve Index have both been damp squibs. 3D movies came and went, for the second time.

The Oculus Quest models have proven more popular, so it appears normies themselves are going to be the ones driving VR adoption via online social activities. I also think VR acceptance will become mainstream through industrial deployment; headsets are being increasingly adopted for virtual modelling in areas of architecture, science, manufacturing, etc.

Banned
I'd bet 350 standalone or 399 with a launch game.
Or maybe a bigger game bundel at 499
Maybe a Big Combo Pack at 999 - PS5+VR+BigVR game bundle and a year of PS+

then it will die. it's not worth more than 250 to begin with, and needing a 500€ console to use it on top of that would be a fucking disaster

then it will die. it's not worth more than 250 to begin with, and needing a 500€ console to use it on top of that would be a fucking disaster
Wait are you saying psvr2 is only worth 250$?
Spec wise it's too me 400$+ and will not work with PC.

Gonna add in that if it was available to use on PC it would help VR a lot more then it's actually going to being stuck on just ps5

Last edited:

Data Ghost

Do you think PSVR2 will catapult VR into the mainstream?​

Nah, it will do ok just like the first one did. Have some decent games etc. The price on top of the console price will always be a barrier and the thick cable and headset bulk will be a turn off for many.

Quest 2 is fun enough but underpowered with a poor battery life.

VR and the Metaverse will never be mainstream until the hardware can be at least condensed down into the size of glasses or contact lenses. Until then it will remain a novelty for nerds like us :)

Top Bottom