• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Nintendo will delay Zelda to launch it alongside Switch 2?

Will they delay Zelda to 2023 to release it alongside Switch 2?

• Yes

Votes: 67 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 105 50.2%
  • They will delay it but not because of Switch 2

Votes: 37 17.7%

• Total voters
Probably not, but I almost guarantee Metroid Prime 4, if it even comes out at all, will be delayed until Switch 2. What if MP4 was a Switch 2 launch title?

Moses85

Same thing with TP… this was also delayed several times and they lied about the reason for the delay.
They said they have had problems with the controls of Wolf Link… but they needed a strong Launch Titel for the Wii.

If I learned something about my gaming years with Nintendo. (30 years) don’t Trust them. They are liars and only interested in making a lot of money with us, their stupid Fans.

ultrazilla

Summer 2022 Switch Pro will be announced. Release in Fall 2022. Switch 2 will be announced early 2023 for holiday 2023 release along with Metroid Prime 4 and Super Mario Odyssey 2.

Maybe no deyaled , but NLL have did more or less the same for the Wii, Wii U and Switch so it's good Odds that next Zelda will be used to help with the launch of their next system IMO

DKPOWPOW

Unless the Switch just drops off a cliff sales wise next year... I doubt it. Though I would not be surprised if BotW 2 does get delayed to 2023.

It's a little hard to tell where Nintendo is going in the near future. They already have a pretty solid slate of games scheduled for 2022, which is a bit odd yet we have not even closed out this year.

Kirby, Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, Pokemon Legends, and to top it off Breath of the Wild 2 all already slated for next year. With the Mario movie coming out at the tail end, I find it likely some kind of Mario game to arrive around that time frame as well or soon after.

On top of that we have the rumored Metroid Prime remake and Resident Evil Outbreak, as well as confirmed Traingle Strategy and a few other 3rd party games.

That is too strong of a year to follow up with a new console right after. Even if BotW 2 ends up as a 2023 game it's still quite solid as you know there will be a few games up Nintendo's sleeve as well.

It doesn't seem to make room for an upgrade like a Switch Pro either. If anything, I think it leaves room for 2023 to be the slowdown year that eventually leads to a Switch 2 launching in 2024.

If I let my I imagination run free there will be a triple threat of Metroid Prime 4, Mario Kart 9, and a Super Mario game to kick things off in the launch year, followed by a Complete Edition of Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
I don't expect a Switch 2 anytime soon and I do expect them to sell you the next BOTW again when their next console does release.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I don’t even know if the switch 2 will be an easily defined thing. It might be like the 3DS and just have incremental upgrades or maybe the switch will go the route of Wii with an extended lifespan. Who knows could be wrong and it’s just an outright more powerful switch with better output battery life etc

probably called Switch+

Last edited:
no. switch 2 is probably not happening for another few years. they ain't delaying BOTW2 that long. it will probably get delayed but it won't be because of Switch 2. it'll be because Nintendo are so damn incompetent. most of the work for BOTW2 is done. i mean, they're using the game map/assets but the only new thing seems to be floating islands...and a new haircut for Zelda. but here we are 4 years later waiting for it.

Zannegan

IF the Switch 2 were going to launch with 12 months of when they could reasonably expevt yo launch Zelda, then sure. Otherwise, think it more likely that they'll look for their big cross-gen system-seller elsewhere.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
That valve incoming video gaming oriented portable computing device may hasten nintendo plans for the future.
Why do people think this? Do you think parents will buy a much more expensive portable PC with limited availability for their kids over a Switch? The market doesn't think like you and that is a good thing.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I don’t even know if the switch 2 will be an easily defined thing. It might be like the 3DS and just have incremental upgrades or maybe the switch will go the route of Wii with an extended lifespan. Who knows could be wrong and it’s just an outright more powerful switch with better output battery life etc

Eh, a "next big thing" will always happen. It's great for marketing. I think for the first few years Switch 2 games will also run (poorly) on Switch 1 though.

Nautilus

Banned
God no.Nintendo's 10th gen system will launch late 2023 at the earliest, with early 2024 being more likely.

Nintendo wont delay a game that must be almost ready for an extra 2 years just because.

With the Switch they needed BOTW at launch, and thats why they pushed it back to coincide with the launch.For the 10th gen system, they won't have the same need.

Aldric

probably called Switch+
Yeah exactly, I think people are getting hung up on semantics basically. If the rumored DLSS Switch exists then it's not necessarily a genuine successor of the Switch, more like another model in the Switch family of hardware like the Lite or the Oled model. They might even call it Switch 4K model for all we know.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Switch is only just 4 years old, I’m being deadly serious when I say you better prepare for an 8 year generation from Nintendo. Hopefully I’m wrong and they release it after 6 or 7 years, however that would still take us way outside of BOTW2’s release window.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Switch is only just 4 years old, I’m being deadly serious when I say you better prepare for an 8 year generation from Nintendo. Hopefully I’m wrong and they release it after 6 or 7 years, however that would still take us way outside of BOTW2’s release window.
I can see the lifespan being longer than five years. The Wii had a long lifespan so will the switch.

gundalf

Nintendo already presented BotW2 with original Switch graphics and this is how it will be delivered. Its not unrealistic to expect a dedicated version for the Switch successor or maybe even a free upgrade but there won't be a delay. The Switch has a huge installment and Nintendo will reap the benefits of it with BotW2.

If anything Nintendo is more concerned producing enough packaging and cartridges to meet the initial hype demand while not disturbing the existing pipeline for all 1st and 3rd party retail releases.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Absolutely not. They haven't even hinted at their next console.
I know this thread should be closed, I don't know why people are rushing Nintendo to do anything.

Homer Simpson Running GIF by dinakelberman

kiphalfton

Why would they do that when they can just sell it to you again for the Switch 2?
No, that's usually the "HD Remaster". That will come to the Switch's successors successor. The Switch's successor will probably just get a 1:1 port. Nintendo doesn't just double up on sales, they triple up most the time (if not more).

Nintendo already presented BotW2 with original Switch graphics and this is how it will be delivered. Its not unrealistic to expect a dedicated version for the Switch successor or maybe even a free upgrade but there won't be a delay. The Switch has a huge installment and Nintendo will reap the benefits of it with BotW2.

If anything Nintendo is more concerned producing enough packaging and cartridges to meet the initial hype demand while not disturbing the existing pipeline for all 1st and 3rd party retail releases.

When has Nintendo ever offered a free upgrade? For cross generation stuff? AFAIK everything has only ever been ports that you have to pay for. The only "free upgrade" may have been the Zelda Master Quest or Zelda Limited Edition stuff on GameCube, but that was limited runs and I think you had to buy the console to get it (so technically not free).

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
No.

The next Nintendo console is probably not going to be until 2024 at the earliest.

• The Switch is selling well.
  • There's a very strong line-up of games (that have been in development for years) into 2023. 2022 will be jam-packed. 2023 will see a slowdown.
  • The chip supply issue is not getting better and it looks like 2022 is going to be bad too.
  • There's no current immediate path from the Tegra X1. There's the X2, but Nvidia just don't seem to care. Nintendo will likely stick with ARM, but 2022 will see more on offer - Samsung and AMD have their partnership coming to market then so 2023 could see Exynos with AMD graphics available in third-party devices.
  • There's no real competition for them.

I feel Oled was just a bridge between the current console, and the next, proper 4k one

I say botw2 late 2022 or first half of 2023, with switch 2 in first half of 2023 or first half 2024, botw cross gen again like the first game

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
This. What a stupid thread question. There’s no Switch successor in the next two years.

So no new iPhone this year either? Just because it sells well doesn't mean they don't want to keep momentum going. But you're probably right since it's Nintendo.

gundalf

When has Nintendo ever offered a free upgrade? For cross generation stuff? AFAIK everything has only ever been ports that you have to pay for. The only "free upgrade" may have been the Zelda Master Quest or Zelda Limited Edition stuff on GameCube, but that was limited runs and I think you had to buy the console to get it (so technically not free).

Oh yeah I'm not meant to say this in a optimistic or hyped up way but its still not impossible, although to be fair, Nintendo did engage in the past a lot on this concept with hybrid GB x SBG x GBC games.

LordOfChaos

I'm guessing it will be DSi/New 3DS like improvements to the Switch for a while, which is still a banger for them, rather than a full new generation console that needs a game delayed for it. Base game will run on the Switch, upgraded resolution/filtering etc on a "Pro".

Astral Dog

But of course, i have zero doubt, they will rerelease Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to chill angry fanboys

However 2022 doesn't need Breath of the Wild to be a good year

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Nah

Game runs on the same everything that the past one. They're just changing stuff from here and there. Chances are that the game is at the bug test phase already and just waiting for the schedule of the year

But I believe that next year we will see the first "we will show the next console in a not so far future". Kinda like the Switch, which took a year or so

BlackTron

No. It could run on the wii U by the looks of it, so the current hardware is fine.

I don't think that they will delay the game, but I don't think hardware power has anything to do with it. It never has before.

Twice they delayed Zelda for a new system, and both times the old one got the same game. It's about the game supporting the system, not vice versa.

I don't think that they will delay the game, but I don't think hardware power has anything to do with it. It never has before.

Twice they delayed Zelda for a new system, and both times the old one got the same game. It's about the game supporting the system, not vice versa.
That’s true but with the wii it was because of motion, and also to get more sales since the cube didn’t sell amazing.

Switch got breath of the wild because of even poorer sales on wii u, and also the handheld aspect.

The switch is extremely successful unlike the last two examples, and esp. if there’s no gimmick to the next system I don’t think they would delay it for any reason.

But again the main thing is adoption rate, and botw 2 is going to sell shiploads on the switch as is.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
So no new iPhone this year either? Just because it sells well doesn't mean they don't want to keep momentum going. But you're probably right since it's Nintendo.

This is a pretty ridiculous comparison. Mobile phones have a much shorter shelf life than consoles. People have grown to expect to upgrade their phone every 1-2 years. People do not expect to upgrade their consoles/PCs every 1-2 years. This isn't a Nintendo issue. Find one console maker who released a new console every couple of years and saw equal or greater sales with the successor. I'll wait.

BlackTron

That’s true but with the wii it was because of motion, and also to get more sales since the cube didn’t sell amazing.

Switch got breath of the wild because of even poorer sales on wii u, and also the handheld aspect.

The switch is extremely successful unlike the last two examples, and esp. if there’s no gimmick to the next system I don’t think they would delay it for any reason.

But again the main thing is adoption rate, and botw 2 is going to sell shiploads on the switch as is.

Twilight Princess was not delayed to add motion in the game. It was delayed to support Wii because GC was a lost cause. This is exactly my point, if they delay a Zelda, it will NOT be because of hardware features. It's pure marketing strategy and nothing else.

Top Bottom