• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think it was the right decision for Sony to skip this specific E3?

Was it the right decision for Sony to skip this E3?

• Total voters
I thought it was the right move before, now I definitely believe it was the right move without a doubt. MS has shown their hand, albeit slightly. Sony can respond how they see fit in regards to PS5 reveal/hype trailer

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't think it was a huge mistake to skip it if they don't have much to show but I think they could have had a really solid conference just by showing us more Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima gameplay.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
no. and yes.

Sony hasn't shown a new game since E3 2016. because microsoft is not competitive thats a yes

and no because they are going to get shit on because they will not show any new games this year and we're getting a single exclusive (days gone) and a timed exclusive . kojimas game. in 1 entire year.

Wut?

FranXico

I don't think it was a huge mistake to skip it if they don't have much to show but I think they could have had a really solid conference just by showing us more Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima gameplay.
You know, if you put together some of the stuff they and their partners have announced on youtube, they could have put together a decent hour long media brief instead.

Last edited:
I don't think there is any way to argue that it was the right decision for Sony to skip E3.

E3 is THE event to showcase what you're working on for all the fans to see... and they just skipped it. BOOO!

mejin

sony is doing their own stuff and it simply works. that's the problem.

when they announce their event for this year you will see how much better of a message they will send compared to this e3 from MS.

ZehDon

Gold Member
They really didn't need to turn up, given what's on show this year. Instead of a "hold over" E3, which is what Microsoft delivered, Sony have potentially set themselves up a stellar next year. If they fail to deliver the goods next year though, there'll be hell to pay.

Elcid

Banned
I personally am glad they skipped it. They waste a ton of money and most people just complain about it anyways. I'd rather they stay head down and keep focusing on what they're doing with occasional updates like these state of play.

Lilseb93

Yes. I think E3 is a product of the 90s magazine era. Nowadays we have social media. Sony could drop a Last of Us Part 2 JPEG or a trailer with a release date and it would overshadow everything. They don't need to spend thousands on a giant stage. But they will back next year so I guess it's a moot point.

If Sony was there, people would be mad they didn't show the PS5 or new games. Sony just simply avoids a bunch of whining and lets people whine about MS's conference tonight instead. If they drop a State of Play soon, this decision will look even better. The stars were aligning for MS and they blew it, and now Sony can sit pretty if they play it right.

Last edited:
Just watched the Microsoft conference and I think it was a fine move to skip. Sony leaked every piece of next-gen info before E3 and every gamer at E3 knew what Sony was cooking when Microsoft entered the kitchen except release window.

Now hopefully when we see the PS5 first they're going to have some real games and gameplay to show us.

kiiltz

I thought it was the right move before, now I definitely believe it was the right move without a doubt. MS has shown their hand, albeit slightly.
Yep and it makes me wonder if Nintendo will follow suit next year. I haven't watched a conference since Usher performed for MS and the general feel I get is a lot of dissatisfaction from gamers towards E3 in recent years.

If it keeps going this way for the rest of the week it could spark the beginning of major companies turning their backs on E3 unless they have something really big.

As a general rule, it's not good missing the spotlight. However, in order to give a proper answer to this we need to know what Sony has in the pipeline for the coming months. If they don't make any communication I think this will be a mistake.

Neolombax

I was watching the press conference for Microsoft, and was thinking man I can't wait to see what Sony has to offer, and then I remembered Sony isn't present this year. Kind of bummed out, but it is what it is. I suppose if they had nothing substantial to show, it would've worked against Sony anyway if they had attended e3 this year.

Petrae

Yes. I think E3 is a product of the 90s magazine era. Nowadays we have social media.

And YouTube. Video on demand, that can be watched by anyone at anytime.

Contrast that with the time before internet and during its dial-up days, and it’s understandable why E3 (and CES before it) was important. It’s a place to have press gather and drop an info dump on them to roadmap the next 12 months— especially the runup to the all-important Q4 for retailers.

It’s not necessary now. Anyone can announce anything at any time. Uploading to YouTube doesn’t cost anything (other than advertising), and social media can hype it to oblivion. There’s no need to wait until that one time of year to info dump. Claim the spotlight for yourself.

E3 can still be “for the fans”. Fuck, it already is, based on the fact that you can pay your way in like a theme park now. It’s already another PAX instead of the trade show it was originally intended. Sell it that way, and see which exhibitors still want to bite. It won’t be everyone.

Iorv3th

If they don't have anything new to show then yea skipping is fine. It seems like the other conferences didn't really have any big new titles or reveals either.

MS conference was way worse than I thought it was going to be. I think Sony did the right thing. They'd have to fuck up real bad to come up with something less impressive than what MS delivered today.

HE1NZ

Banned
Sony is being a party pooper again. Should have at least made an hour long State of Play during E3

Last edited:

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
If all Sony would have done is what microsoft did then they didnt need to be here and they would have only been critisized as microsoft is for not showing anything of any substance anyway.

Wow the people here saying E3 is old news and irrelevant. Ok, I guess getting your dick sucked is archaic, sporting events are archaic, I mean literally, everything is archaic. I get it, some of you are losing testosterone levels rapidly and probably never had a high level to begin with, and now you're balding. You know, just getting old and you just want to take care of that mistake of yours with a mistake you shot that mistake into. Whatever, youdoyou.edu but come on, some of us legit love getting a bunch of gaming announcement in a short period of time, rather than wait

Last edited:

Lilseb93

So far this E3 is making Sony look very smart, especially if they drop a State of Play soon lol. I was really hoping MS would bring the heat this year. Everything aligned so perfectly for them.

Last edited:
After seeing the MS E3 conference, sure yeah... There was no need to waste any time countering this... there is no challenger on the other side.

Wow the people here saying E3 is old news and irrelevant. Ok, I guess getting your dick sucked is archaic, sporting events are archaic, I mean literally, everything is archaic. I get it, some of you are losing testosterone levels rapidly and probably never had a high level to begin with, and now you're balding. You know, just getting old and you just want to take care of that mistake of yours with a mistake you shot that mistake into. Whatever, youdoyou.edu but come on, some of us legit love getting a bunch of gaming announcement in a short period of time, rather than wait

It's definitely not old news. I still enjoy E3, it's a typical even of the year, it's always been a mixed bag as well and sometimes the bad is equally as entertaining as the good. I definitely pay more attention on E3 than if you just release a video of a game. I mean, the Sony conference at the PS4 reveal with Mark Cerny was legendary. So there's still a time for conferences.

Petrae

It was stupid. A lack of respect towards the community frankly.

“Sony didn’t show up at that thing. They hate us!”

I dunno. After last year’s bullshit, I think they’re doing “the community” a favor by not embarrassing the PlayStation brand further with lame musical segments, long intermission while attendees are shuffled to another area, and awkward/cringeworthy talking segments. If nothing else, taking a year off to reevaluate things and fix it for the Gen9 reveal is a good idea.

The fuck is this word salad?

The whole fucking point is that you don’t have to wait for one week a year for shit to get revealed. It doesn’t have to be June. It can be whenever.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

I dunno. After last year’s bullshit, I think they’re doing “the community” a favor by not embarrassing the PlayStation brand further with lame musical segments, long intermission while attendees are shuffled to another area, and awkward/cringeworthy talking segments. If nothing else, taking a year off to reevaluate things and fix it for the Gen9 reveal is a good idea.
Shoulda just sent the Shakuhachi guy on his own this year.

Lilseb93

Conferences are great when done well but most of the time its done poorly with cringey hosts, boring people talking, and then unneeded set pieces. But when they do it right they can be great. When Sony had the live orchestra and then dropped game after game they nailed it. MS did the same thing the last couple of years. Then they went back to having a lego car and a set piece for Gears 5 that was a huge waste of 10 minutes. Sony doing the whole crowd shuffle and live musical performance last year was pointless.

E3 is a product of the 90s. It just is. But conferences are still fine in today's world. Companies just need to learn how to do them better.

Last edited:

Petrae

Conferences are great when done well but most of the time its done poorly with cringey hosts, boring people talking, and then unneeded set pieces. But when they do it right they can be great. When Sony had the live orchestra and then dropped game after game they nailed it. MS did the same thing the last couple of years. Then they went back to having a lego car and a set piece for Gears 5 that was a huge waste of 10 minutes. Sony doing the whole crowd shuffle and live musical performance last year was pointless.

E3 is a product of the 90s. It just is. But conferences are still fine in today's world. Companies just need to learn how to do them better.

Meh. You don’t need to trap a bunch of sweaty nerds in a theater for two hours while a parade of trailers play and suits talk up their employers.

Nintendo did it right. Condense those trailers into more digestible form, break them up with short, hosted segments, and keep it to an hour or less.

No hooting/hollering crowds.
No grandstanding.
No cringeworthy “G4M3R 5P34K” or obviously scripted “demos”.
No technical problems (cameras, demos crashing).

Clean. Concise. Still plenty of info. And much less expensive.

Lilseb93

Meh. You don’t need to trap a bunch of sweaty nerds in a theater for two hours while a parade of trailers play and suits talk up their employers.

Nintendo did it right. Condense those trailers into more digestible form, break them up with short, hosted segments, and keep it to an hour or less.

No hooting/hollering crowds.
No grandstanding.
No cringeworthy “G4M3R 5P34K” or obviously scripted “demos”.
No technical problems (cameras, demos crashing).

Clean. Concise. Still plenty of info. And much less expensive.

Oh I agree, but I think conferences can still be done in 2019 as long as they are done right.

Yes,look at M$ conference,there was nothing impressive,I thought they will acutally show their new console,instead we get some corporate trailer

The fuck is this word salad?

The whole fucking point is that you don’t have to wait for one week a year for shit to get revealed. It doesn’t have to be June. It can be whenever.
Brother you seem a bit upset. If the flatulence is causing you discomfort, try changing your diet and eliminating high carb foods that don't cause severe constipation which leads to flatulence and irritability.

Lastyou1

Banned
From a business perspective, I don't know.

From a fan perspective, I am disappointed

Ok Sony, between the various "experience(s)" and "state(s) of play" you basically do you own personal E3 whenever you want.

But E3 is the stage of stages, the most important and hyped platform people are waiting for.

Not having Ghost of Tsushima, Medievil, Ni-Oh 2, etc at E3 is bad.
Also, I wanted shocking reveals like Ps5 and Insomniac Spider-Man 2 and/or next God of War.

jakinov

I don't think Sony management really cares about E3 anymore or the traditional kind of stage press conference. I think they are moving to the Nintendo Direct kind of marketing. So they can get you used to checking out content more frequently. There last E3 event was very different; they basically sat outside and showed a few demos/gameplay videos.

I don't think E3 is that popular with the masses (I suspect it's partly why YouTube doesn't seem to care about E3 anymore), I still think it's more of an enthusiast event. I don't think that it really matters if Sony was doing anything today or not. Gamers watching E3 likely already know what's coming and will be reminded near when it's close to coming out. Like the people here already know Death Stranding is coming. And Sony doesn't really need to waste money showing third party, indie stuff. Ghosts and Last of Us probably won't come until holiday 2020 so they don't want to show anything again. I don't think Sony needs E3 to make their games trend.

Petrae

Oh I agree, but I think conferences can still be done in 2019 as long as they are done right.

Perhaps we see a return in 2020 to roll out Gen9 boxes. Console reveals— to me, at least— warrant a keynote/press event. They’re a big deal, and can be harder to hype with just video. That said, there’s no need to wait for E3. Hold your own event whenever you want, wherever you want.

The need for yearly keynotes, though, just isn’t there anymore.

Silentium

As a consumer, of course not - having both at the show gives E3 a special competitive flavour that isn't as present when only one of the 'big two' shows up.

T2zofwP.jpg

That said, in 2019 Sony obviously thinks they can generate as much press with direct consumer engagement via social media channels so from a business perspective it may make sense.

autoduelist

I ended up skipping e3 entirely without sony there.

Does anyone know of a good place to find ps4 related announcement vids all in one place?

Xenon

As a fan of the system why wouldn't anybody want to show at E3? People sound like a bunch of yes Men. Yeah that's a great idea don't show us anything at E3 that's better and we liked it!

Top Bottom