• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think it was the right decision for Sony to skip this specific E3?

Was it the right decision for Sony to skip this E3?

• Total voters

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I imagine it'd still be a small price to pay. All the multiplatform games are now being presented by Microsoft. Sony's going to be losing some mindshare I think.

Is it though? Do a Battlefield V/COD whatever trailer from multiplatform games really matter? They matter in the regard that the show gets more viewers, but would be stupid to buy one system for a multiplatform game out from a commercial.

If you have friends on that system it's a given. But a multiplatform game will never be a system seller in my book.

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
Silly for them to skip and give Microsoft free reign to market games unchallenged. All the media hype and information for the next week will have Microsoft name attached to it, even if much of the games are multi plat

I think that is what some don’t understand.

Regardless of the like or dislike for e3, it is the MAJOR source to the masses for gaming news every year.

Giving MS all the attention is a poor decision.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
You're reaching badly. Sony isn't spending 50 million in r&D on e3.

You keep saying that but sure Jan. Truth is you don'tknow what it costs to put together. I don't either but that was only one of my points. You conveniently ignored the rest. If they had showed up with nothing new people like you would've still bitched. So be mad. IDGAF

kiiltz

I think both sides have valid arguments so I'll take middle ground an say it probably depends on how successful E3 is this year. From what I've heard it's been a bit of a joke this last decade.

It might even be a question of PS5 being “ready” but a case of trying to cherry pick the very best timing. Maybe hoping to let MS show their hand first? I dunno

Fox Mulder

I think it sucks

The death stranding trailer a week ago has 7 million views just on their official YouTube channel though. They don't need E3 even if it's a spectacle that people enjoy.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

I like E3 and I'm sorry they didn't go this year. I wouldn't say they needed to go, only that I would've liked to see them there and hear what they had in the pipes.

no. and yes.

Sony hasn't shown a new game since E3 2016. because microsoft is not competitive thats a yes

and no because they are going to get shit on because they will not show any new games this year and we're getting a single exclusive (days gone) and a timed exclusive . kojimas game. in 1 entire year.

After Microsoft's? Probably. I feel like Sony is probably saving up and focusing on the next-gen reveal, in which I feel like they have an advantage over Microsoft after today. Holiday 2020 is so far away that I'm surprised Microsoft talked about it. Autumn initial reveal would've been better.
That said, Sony can easily fuck that up as well.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Now that I've seen the MS conference I'm doubling down on my answer. Sony didn't miss out on anything by not being there this year.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Sony's wire article imo was more hype and better than the entire E3. They were smart, now all thy need to do is a little event in up and coming months to fully unveil ps5

J4K

This morning I might have said yes. MS had a chance to detail their vision and really seize momentum. Instead, their reveal was basically "remember what Sony said? We're doing that stuff too."

It's almost like Cerny got a copy of their script and pantsed them... except MS should have had plenty of time to pull their pants back up but decided against it.

Varteras

Gold Member
Well I think it's safe to say Sony doesn't have anything to worry about after that Microsoft conference.

MadAnon

It was. Because as this MS conference just proved, there was nothing exciting to show. People want excitement and the most excitement is during the start of a new generation. End of the gen is always a snooze fest.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
"Sony has nothing new to show."
"Sony blew their load."
"MS Is firing on all cylinders."

I don't hate Xbox, but the fanboys have been saying this for months and it looks like the same thing they criticized Sony for just happened to Xbox.

I didn't think they could top MS conference if they showed off a trailer for TLOU 2 and release date because of the potential of Fable and Dino Crisis showing up, but now I think that could very well happen.

No, I'm not expecting Sony to do it, but that's how low the bar is to take away attention from MS' press conference.

Last edited:

juliotendo

So the XBOX E3 2019 conference ended and that was extremely mediocre. Other than the Halo tease towards the end, the entire conference was essentially indie trash, third party games, and CGI trailers.

Sony made the right move. Microsoft pretty much just didn’t deliver anything exciting, and in my opinion their conference was a waste of time.

I think Sony made the right call having another conference with a bunch of repeat trailers would bore people.

This year is the last hurrah for the ps4 and with the death stranding showcase I think they ain't that worried about this year and last of us 2 is probably early next year.

I think Microsoft does not quite get their audience while Sony does Sony understand what their main playerbase wants, having microsoft spend an hour and a half on mostly indie games is not what people wanted to see.

Yes, Sony doesn't need to come to the show just to let us know what we already know. The new things they would tell us would not be worth the cost of a typical press conference / show floor presence we are used to. This gives the entire Playstation team and partners to focus on getting their shit together for the eventual Next Gen Playstation reveal and E3 2020.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
it was the same last year. not a single multi sold better on xbox.
Just one guy's opinion, but last year's Sony E3 showing and Microsoft coming out swinging with the One X was enough to get me to switch teams mid-gen.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
They don't have shit. Past year they also didn't and spent their money on it. They should just do a Direct and that's it.

Petrae

After Sony’s E3 2018 disasterbacle, with E3 in general being less important than it’s ever been, and with Gen8 obviously sunsetting but not quite finished... why waste the cash, time, and resources? For the “fans”?

After paying the exhibition fee to the ESA, paying staff to be there, paying construction costs for the booth, paying for the technology (consoles/controllers), paying for swag, and paying for utilities (power/internet), running an E3 booth is an expensive proposition— which is why we have seen some former exhibitors bow out completely or cut some things back. Add to that expense how much it costs to rent out a facility/venue for a keynote event and the other overhead that comes with it, and that’s an even bigger financial headache.

E3 isn’t (yet) a full fan event. At its heart, at least according to the ESA, it’s still at least kind of a trade show. If you’ve got nothing new to show retailers/investors/press, why go? Third-party partners are already there to show their stuff, while the remaining first-party stuff has already been shown. Sony looks to be going all-in on its Gen9 box and it’s fair to argue that its first-party teams are focusing there— but still have work to do.

Sony is also in the position of dominance. Microsoft isn’t catching anyone, despite efforts to do so. Nintendo has had decent momentum, but isn’t really posing a threat to Sony as the generation wraps. Instead, Sony is running with a wide-ranging sales promo to boost numbers and keep software moving. It’s a decent plan.

demigod

I'm going with yes, that conference was so bad from MS. It was their time to shine without Sony this year, they failed.

bitbydeath

Most of Sonys studios have already moved onto PS5 titles so Yes would be the correct answer otherwise they’d just be reiterating titles we already know about and 3rd party titles.

Atrus

Gold Member
With Microsoft going multiplatform and with Sony gearing up for PS5, a lot of the Sony presentation would be a re-showing of the same games plus updated trailers for the upcoming releases like TLOU and Death Stranding. Better time it when you have something to show than build up hype for two hours of "hmm... thats it?"

I still don't understand WHY Sony skipped E3, especially after seeing what MS had to offer, which wasn't a lot either. Show a lot of 3rd party games, show all the amazing exclusive games they've released lately, show a bit more of the games we've already seen but aren't released yet, show the new COD and talk about cross play, and that's really all anyone would need. No one needed to see amazing brand new game announcements for them to still have had a solid E3 conference.

Ol'Scratch

Yes. They saved a fortune and said what they need to say and still have a floor presence as far as I am aware of. The fact is people want gameplay and are tired of cgi trailers. People want specs for the PS5 and they want exclusives revealed. If they did not have what they needed to blow the roof off then they bide their time. Microsoft did not get free reign, most of those games are on PS4 and people are smart enough to know that. All Microsoft did is show games that people can get on PS4 except for minor exceptions. Gears was embarrassing, Halo was nothing (though still love seeing it on my screen). Forza Lego? I do not see it winning over people that were not already Forza fans but it is something nice for them.

PsyEd

Think Sony did the right thing. Frankly right now all multi platform games look and sound better on X1X compared to Pro anyway. So no point showing the same game which will be on Pro again....and not enough exclusives to have a whole show on. But frankly IMHO apart from Cyberpunbk 2077 and Keanu Reeves the whole m$ e3 show was irrelevant.

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
I think it sucks

The death stranding trailer a week ago has 7 million views just on their official YouTube channel though. They don't need E3 even if it's a spectacle that people enjoy.

One could argue the Death Stranding hype is due to its e3 showing 3 years ago.

After i watched whole Xbone conference, Sony did the right thing.

PimMPWh.gif

Top Bottom