• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think devs will try to jump on "Switch 2" from day-one?

They'll be in from day-one?

• Sure, why not

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • No, for sure

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters

Kikorin

The line up of Switch at day-one was one of the poorest ever for a new console, luckily Nintendo knew Zelda: BOTW was a masterpiece big enough to have people engaged for months, but after Wii U, devs that trusted Switch at day-one was really few and when it turned out to be a success, took them months/years to develop or port their games.

Do you think with "Switch 2" devs will try to be on the line up from day-one? Or for some reason Nintendo will have to prove the console beeing a success again (and is not guaranteed obv) to convince third parties to jump in?

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
If Switch 2 is retrocompatible with the first one it will be like with the PS4 to PS5. Devs will follow. Those who did not for the Switch will not for the next one, except in special cases.
The Xbox Series S may help the Switch 2 in getting ports, if the difference is not that great in RAM and CPU. At least I hope so. We know that Nintendo will not try to be competitive with the PS5 and the Series X and Nvidia has no reason to give Nintendo a good deal that would motivate them to try but we can dream!

Banned
if it uses the higher end Orin absolutely, if it uses the cut down Orin then maybe not as many.

the high end Tegra Orin would be easy to port any current gen game to, as it's potentially better than the Steam Deck in portable mode and almost Series S level in docked, plus DLSS of course.
the cut down Orin would need way more work to port to, as that one would be slower than the Deck in portable and about PS4 levels in docked... but with DLSS of course to help

so it's really IMO all about what hardware Nintendo ultimately chose and if they once again clock the chip way too low... excessively low clock speeds would even hamper the potential of the highest end Orin chip, and with the Switch 1 Nintendo stupidly limited docked mode way too much IMO

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Nintendo actually carefully restricted who was allowed on Switch for almost a year. Indies were all quality, and approved. Initial launch had carefully selected games like Graceful Explosion Machine, Snipperclips.

You'll probably see articles about indies upset they didn't get dev kits.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I stand in between.

It won't matter though. Wasnt the 3DS the most supported Nintendo system at launch? It still had problems in the beginning despite that.

Nintendo needs to get their own games firing off. That's by far the most important thing.

Only if they can easily port Xbox SX and PS5 games. It's quick money. Do I think they'll support a Switch 2 with exlcusive, unique games? No, absolutely not. We've been down this road before. Third party software does not sell as well on Nintendo platforms.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think we’ll get major releases pretty early. Genshin will be a launch window title IMO. I hope we get patches/ports for the F2P games; Rocket League, Apex, Fortnite and Overwatch. Switch 2 should be pretty powerful for a handheld so we’ll get loads of ports that couldn’t work on the current Switch. Rather than 360/PS3 ports we’ll probably get scaled down PS4 games.

Zannegan

Not all of them, obviously, but the Switch's success brought in the games, so there will be a few big publishers looking to get onboard, especially if the specs are good enough for cut down ports.

Fbh

Absolutely.
If nothing else I'm sure plenty of publishers are eager to port a lot of their Ps4/X1 early Ps5/SX stuff over.

I expect the first year of Switch 2 we'll see a ton of stuff like Destiny 2, AC Valhalla, Elden Ring, Tales of Arise, Yakuza 1-574, RE 2&3 Remake, GTAV?, etc

Baki

The line up of Switch at day-one was one of the poorest ever for a new console, luckily Nintendo knew Zelda: BOTW was a masterpiece big enough to have people engaged for months, but after Wii U, devs that trusted Switch at day-one was really few and when it turned out to be a success, took them months/years to develop or port their games.

Do you think with "Switch 2" devs will try to be on the line up from day-one? Or for some reason Nintendo will have to prove the console beeing a success again (and is not guaranteed obv) to convince third parties to jump in?
If it's easy to port from the Series S. Why not? If it's hard to port and expensive, then it will get reduced support.

Top Bottom