• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you still play SDR games on 2.2 gamma setting?

Whitecrow

Banned
Some days ago, I watched a Vincent Teoh video about best LG C1 settings for PS5. Yes, one of the 1000 he have dedicated to that.
This one:

In this new one, one thing caught me off guard. He recommended the BT.1866 gamma setting (which is the equivalent to 2.4, darker than 2.2)

And I was like, 'Guaaat??' I thought 2.2 was the standard. Why BT.1866 now?

And well, I gave it a try, and guess what? It looks better 95% of the time. 2.2 in comparison, looks washed out.
After some reseach, it seems like the BT.1866 gamma is the standard for the rec.709 colorspace for HD TVs.

Some say it works for OLED but for LED it's better 2.2. I dont know this, but as far as OLED goes, the increased contrast makes the picture a lot better.

So there you go, try it and comment what do you think : )

kyliethicc

Some days ago, I watched a Vincent Teoh video about best LG C1 settings for PS5. Yes, one of the 1000 he have dedicated to that.
This one:

In this new one, one thing caught me off guard. He recommended the BT.1866 gamma setting (which is the equivalent to 2.4, darker than 2.2)

And I was like, 'Guaaat??' I thought 2.2 was the standard. Why BT.1866 now?

And well, I gave it a try, and guess what? It looks better 95% of the time. 2.2 in comparison, looks washed out.
After some reseach, it seems like the BT.1866 gamma is the standard for the rec.709 colorspace for HD TVs.

Some say it works for OLED but for LED it's better 2.2. I dont know this, but as far as OLED goes, the increased contrast makes the picture a lot better.

So there you go, try it and comment what do you think : )

Yeah I use BT.1886 aka 2.4 gamma for SDR games.

It is a bit darker than 2.2 gamma, but for me it looks better overall, especially in a mid to dark room.

Last edited:

thatJohann

My OLED is in a really bright room so I actually do the opposite. I use gamma 1.9 or gamma Low setting which is even brighter than 2.2. Otherwise I can’t see shit.

ethomaz

Banned
I have a CX but it doesn't change that much from C1
I tried several different settings found on internet including a tutorial from RTings but until now none matched what I expected and I still thing my old 2012 PLASMA has better image quality even lacking several others features and being 1080p.

I'm now giving that more detailed customization a try (from the other forum but it is really very detailed):

He says to use Gamma 2.2.
You can look the overall chart but I'm following the most advanced tips:

4cMrUSG.png

For now it is what give me the best results... maybe I will try to change somes to see if it reaches my previous standard.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
My OLED is in a really bright room so I actually do the opposite. I use gamma 1.9 or gamma Low setting which is even brighter than 2.2. Otherwise I can’t see shit.
True, should have said that too. It also depends on your viewing conditions. In bright rooms a darker gamma wont help much : )
on a dark, moderately lit room tho, seems like a darker gamma is fine.
I have a CX but it doesn't change that much.
I tried several different settings found on internet including a tutorial from RTings but until now none matched what I expected and I still thing my old 2012 PLASMA has better image quality even lacking several others features and being 1080p.

I'm now giving that more detailed customization a try (from the other forum but it is really very detailed):

4cMrUSG.png
The thing is, on every site you look you will find different recommended settings. So it's really difficult to know exactly who you should trust...

But as for this nice table you got there, it may be somewhat correct, I dont really know, but they recommend playing on limited RGB for apparently no reason, so at first glance I wouldnt trust this too much...

Vincent Teoh have expensive equipment and was a 'professional calibreitah', so personally I would trust him more.
But at the end of the day, is about your perception. In my room, this gamma settings improved the image, so I'm sticking with it.

ethomaz

Banned
True, should have said that too. It also depends on your viewing conditions. In bright rooms a darker gamma wont help much : )
on a dark, moderately lit room tho, seems like a darker gamma is fine.

The thing is, on every site you look you will find different recommended settings. So it's really difficult to know exactly who you should trust...

But as for this nice table you got there, it may be somewhat correct, I dont really know, but they recommend playing on limited RGB for apparently no reason, so at first glance I wouldnt trust this too much...

Vincent Teoh have expensive equipment and was a 'professional calibreitah', so personally I would trust him more.
But at the end of the day, is about your perception. In my room, this gamma settings improved the image, so I'm sticking with it.
Because he set the TV to LOW so he should force PS consoles to limited if not it will have crushed blacks.

PS Auto option is actually Full… so on TV you have to change to High if you want to choose Auto on console.

Games and Movies are mastered as Limited so LIMITED/LOW or AUTO/HIGH gives you the same result… you will have issue only if you combo LIMITED/HIGH or AUTO/LOW.

Last edited:
Tried it. Found that 2.2 looks better. Tried it as soon as he made the video

Vincent also says to use local dimming medium on Bravia displays which I 100% disagree with and even he says it’s highly debated. High just gives you much darker blacks and a marginal hit to color accuracy. Marginal being the key word.

Respect to him, but wouldn’t take all his word as gospel.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Tried it. Found that 2.2 looks better. Tried it as soon as he made the video

Vincent also says to use local dimming medium on Bravia displays which I 100% disagree with and even he says it’s highly debated. High just gives you much darker blacks and a marginal hit to color accuracy. Marginal being the key word.

Respect to him, but wouldn’t take all his word as gospel.
I tried Vincent configs (from the videos... man the guy have several videos for the same thing lol) in the past with CX + PS5 and didn't like the results too.
That is why I moved on from config to config... I don't have tools to calibrate myself so I will need to have luck and find a good config.

Last edited:
I tried Vincent configs (from the videos... man the guy have several videos for the same thing lol) in the past with CX + PS5 and didn't like the results too.
That is why I moved on from config to config... I don't have tools to calibrate myself so I will need to have luck and find a good config.
Definitely make sure you use hgig on the CX and then go into ps5 settings to adjust hdr afterwards and also turn off the sdr to hdr conversion setting on ps5.

Whitecrow

Banned
I believe you are confusing accuracy for liking. This settings are for reference conditions, and most panels look their best with this settings. You may not like it, but it's how games are most likely meant to look.
We have Dynamic Tone mapping for example, if you turn it ON some scenes look a lot better with the tweaked lights and shadows, but that's not how it's suposed to look.

And for the Quantum TV's video, he enables some post processing saying it just improves the image. It makes total sense, but again, it's modifying the original image.

In any case, just play with the settings you like the best and enjoy it, that's what this is about!

Because he set the TV to LOW so he should force PS consoles to limited if not it will have crushed blacks.

PS Auto option is actually Full… so on TV you have to change to High if you want to choose Auto on console.

Games and Movies are mastered as Limited so LIMITED/LOW or AUTO/HIGH gives you the same result… you will have issue only if you combo LIMITED/HIGH or AUTO/LOW.
Because art is created in PC monitors, aka Full RGB, 444 chroma. That's what games output natively. We are not in the PS3 era where consoles had the same output as video. Nowadays consoles are exactly the sames as PCs.

And no. RGB Full and Limited doesnt give the same result. That makes no sense and you should forget that idea.
RGB Full gives you the full SDR color volume, and limited gives you a reduced color volume, but have more perceived contrast because the TV have the same maximum brightness to distribute for a lower number of color shades.

On my Hisense H9G, using a gamma setting of 2.4 brings me closer to the 2.2 in the Lagom.nl Gamma test.

Using 2.2 on the set puts me at 1.95 in that test. Using 2.4 I get to about 2.05ish.

That's pretty interesting. I'm glad you found that so you have an idea of how your TV behaves, but I would bet that that's not how it should work... : D

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Because art is created in PC monitors, aka Full RGB, 444 chroma. That's what games output natively. We are not in the PS3 era where consoles had the same output as video. Nowadays consoles are exactly the sames as PCs.

And no. RGB Full and Limited doesnt give the same result. That makes no sense and you should forget that idea.
RGB Full gives you the full SDR color volume, and limited gives you a reduced color volume, but have more perceived contrast because the TV have the same maximum brightness to distribute for a lower number of color shades.
Because all console game, TV show and movie content are mastered in Limited there is no difference.

Nothing changed in the industry.

Do the test and you will understand… console games, movies and TV Shows content doesn’t use the additional range from Full RGB.

Limited + Low gives the exactly same picture as Auto + High in both PS4 or PS5.

With limited you are safe to play all the content that are in the industry without any issue… so when you use Full? When you put your console hocked to PC monitor that usually works at full by default and have no option to change that.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Because all console game and movie content are mastered in Limited there is no difference.

Nothing changed in the industry.

Do the test and you will understand… console games and movies content doesn’t use the additional range from Full RGB.

Limited + Low gives the exactly same picture as Auto + High in both PS4 or PS5.
Except for movies being mastered on limited, everything is wrong.

I will not bother in explaining because looks like you are not listening.

ethomaz

Banned
Except for movies being mastered on limited, everything is wrong.

I will not bother in explaining because looks like you are not listening.
Do the test lol

I’m not listening because what you say is wrong lol

Do the test.

Exactly same picture including colors between Auto/High and Limited/Low.

Just think a bit about why the same result.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No. I have lg c1 and play pc stuff in sdr with 2.2 gamma.
hdr is hdr so not sure... this tv setting is on auto

Kuranghi

Vincent Teoh himeself calibrated my game mode preset for 2.4 gamma, so thats what I've always used and its been amazing. In fact my night-viewing preset, cinema pro, is calibrated for 2.5 gamma (which is min on a ZD9/Z9D) and I haven't had issues barring the one below with it, I didn't know about this stuff when he did it so even though we went through everything, 2.4 or 2.5 didn't mean anything to me back then and I can't ask him why its calibrated for min (2.5) and not -2 (2.4).

Sometimes some indie games on PC have had crushed blacks in SDR for specific onscreen elements but I think its an artistic oversight since increasing my gamma, even to max does not reveal detail in those elements. I definitely like 2.5 for night-time viewing of films & TV and there has only been one TV show (and it was only one season of the show, it was "fixed" next season) where there was frequent (but still mild) black crush, The Expanse.

I think they went a bit ham with the contrast in season 1 and it was better viewed in 2.2, but I didn't bother doing that as it was just like parts of their collar or dark hair that was a tiny bit crushed and when on a ship that was lit a certain way, it fitted with the style they were going for anyway. The daytime preset is calibrated to -1 (2.3), I'm guessing he did this because the TV has amazing black level and dimming performance and thus potential for great shadow detail. Maybe also controls blooming a bit?

Anyway, I'm happy with it, if I get another display I will book him up again assuming he is back to it then but I think he has a bit of covid fear (fair enough) so maybe not for a good while.

GymWolf

Is it something that i have to change both on the oled and the ps5 settings?!

Last edited:

sn0man

RGB limited vs full is the bane of televisions for gamers. It’s a good idea in theory but has really led to needless forum wars over the years.

I was hopeful with HDR it would be a thing of the past. For PS5 I plan to do RGB FULL like PC. For all my older consoles I do RGB Limited.

(…and I might be wrong)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
RGB limited vs full is the bane of televisions for gamers. It’s a good idea in theory but has really led to needless forum wars over the years.

I was hopeful with HDR it would be a thing of the past. For PS5 I plan to do RGB FULL like PC. For all my older consoles I do RGB Limited.

(…and I might be wrong)
Whatever match the settling between your console and TV will be fine… limited in both or full in both.

Auto on TV sometimes works… sometimes not… on PS5 it is the same as Full.

Talking specifically about PS5… in 120Hz it forces limited due bandwidth so if you choose Full in both your TV and PS5 for 60fps gaming when you get to run a 120Hz game it will have crushed blacks… you can of course to set your TV to Auto and pray to it detect correctly.

IMO limited on both will be always safe without any unexpected issue.

Last edited:

TonyK

I don't like these "professional" calibrations, I tried a lot and usually they look as if they wanted to match the feeling of being in an old cinema: dark and dim.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
IMO the TV settings RTINGS and HDTVtest recommend are too dim with dull colors.

Quantum is a troll. I'll take Vincent's word over his everytime.
I've gone back and forth between 2.2 and bt 1886 for sdr gaming. I'm currently on 2.2. I don't care to switch settings bewtween day and night so it's a good compromise I feel.

Kuranghi

I don't like these "professional" calibrations, I tried a lot and usually they look as if they wanted to match the feeling of being in an old cinema: dark and dim.

If you're used to a really bright and high contrast image then when you change to the new settings its going to look dull and grey. Just like if you've had your colour temperature set too cool when you change to something thats closer to industry standards it will look orange/yellow.

What you need to do is wait for 5 mins or even more until your eyes adjust to this new output, if you find the whole image too dark then increase the backlight until its not.

What model do you have and what settings were you trying? I'd be happy to give my input, I'm not expert I just spent a long time around TVs and I know what my customers used to say when they tried switching out of vivid/dynamic was similar to this feeling that its dim and flat.

Kuranghi

Is anyone here own a panasonic oled?!

If you are wondering about the RGB/HDMI level thing from above, I think Panasonic's Auto setting for HDMI Level (RGB Full vs. Limited) works fine and will change to low/limited when it receives that from the PS5. So Auto on both is fine imo.

Since your OLED is HDMI 2.0, when the PS5 is outputting SDR it will send RGB/Full to the TV, the TV will auto change to Full then. When the PS5 outputs HDR it will have to change to 422/Low to allow HDR and not exceed the cables bandwidth, the TV should copy that and switch to Low/Limited automatically.

You'd notice if it was wrong I'm sure, the whole image would be really grey or the shadows would be super crushed depending on how it was mismatched. If you want to be sure then just set it to Low/Limited on the PS5 and the TV.

To check if Auto is working on the TV, make sure the PS5 is outputting HDR (Which will means the PS5 will be outputting Limited/Low no matter what the PS5 setting is set at, be that Auto, Limited or Full), then go into the TV settings and change it from Auto to Limited/Low and the screen should NOT go black, if you change it straight from Auto to Low and it goes black for a second then you were outputting Full and it was wrong.

Sorry I'm not capable for explaining these things with less words lol. Just hit me up if anything is confusing/unclear.

TonyK

If you're used to a really bright and high contrast image then when you change to the new settings its going to look dull and grey. Just like if you've had your colour temperature set too cool when you change to something thats closer to industry standards it will look orange/yellow.
No, I play in Game mode, default settings, all postprocesses disabled, warm color, etc. When I saw a movie I use cinema mode, warm 2, etc. Not over contrasted or anything.

bargeparty

I have a CX but it doesn't change that much from C1

4cMrUSG.png

For now it is what give me the best results... maybe I will try to change somes to see if it reaches my previous standard.

Feel like I recall looking at one of this person's threads some time ago and the whole thing was full of misinformation. Stick to the professionals and places like avsforum for actual information.

Top Bottom