• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you remember the PlayStation 9?

I used to think the PlayStation 9 commercial was kind of cool. Back when Sony was marketing the PlayStation 2, they released a TV spot advertising the PS9 and its new electronic spores, with features like a custom telepathic music playlist. Definitely what I like the most about it is how incredibly small the "console" looked (and the music).

It makes me wonder what the real PS9 might actually look like? Will there even be a PS9 in the next 20-25 years? What do you imagine the future of the video game console platform will be like?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
b6c.gif

JLB

Banned
i dont think theres gonna be consoles that far in the future. In 20/25 years ultra high speed with almost no latency connections on reliable infra will be the norm, and any cloud gaming service will be more affordable and indistinguible from the experience on a local box.

Last edited:
i dont think theres gonna be consoles that far in the future. In 20/25 years ultra high speed with almost no latency connections on reliable infra will be the norm, and any cloud gaming service will be more affordable and indistinguible from the experience on a local box.
It's never going to be indistinguishable from a local box unless they somehow manage to defy the laws of physics. Electrons can only move so fast (about the speed of light) and it takes time for them to get from one place to another. Doesn't make much difference when one place and another is one side of a room and the other...but when one place is a data center and another is your house...well it can take quite a while.

Last edited:

NoviDon

Whats crazy is this used to be fantasy, but with what the emerging technologies we have today being able to control games with your mind and pairing it with a form of augmented or virtual reality isn't that far away. More like 2038 than 2078.

No, but it will probably be the next console hardware i get at this rate. By the time things are restocked and selling freely in stores we will be on the ps9.

This made me think the the dues ex human revolution Final Fantasy 27 poster.

JLB

Banned
It's never going to be indistinguishable from a local box unless they somehow manage to defy the laws of physics. Electrons can only move so fast (about the speed of light) and it takes time for them to get from one place to another. Doesn't make much difference when one place and another is one side of a room and the other...but when one place is a data center and another is your house...well it can take quite a while.

The distance between your home and a datacenter in terms of speed of light is meaningless. Its a problem of infra not having the enough maturity and investments to make it work properly at large scale. But from here to 2045/2050, if the world still exists, it will be a problem of the past.

Last edited:
The distance between your home and a datacenter in terms of speed of light is meaningless. Its a problem of infra not having the enough maturity and investments to make it work properly at large scale. But from here to 2045/2050, if the world still exists, it will be a problem of the past.
It takes light around 16ms to do a 1500 mile round trip in a vacuum. That's already a full frame of additional latency at 60Hz, many people live further than that from their nearest data center, even if you live closer unless you have a direct connection it's still got to go through your ISP's internal network first, which could exit much into the wider internet much further away from the data center than you live, and lest we not forget...we don't live in a vacuum.

Nothing about that is "meaningless".

Whats crazy is this used to be fantasy, but with what the emerging technologies we have today being able to control games with your mind and pairing it with a form of augmented or virtual reality isn't that far away. More like 2038 than 2078.
Yeah it will be interesting to see where the technology goes.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Only four more generations to go!
We're in store for some long generations ahead if the PS9 is coming out in 2078. That means bare minimum PS5 has to last until 2035 before the PS6 comes out.

FStubbs

It takes light around 16ms to do a 1500 mile round trip in a vacuum. That's already a full frame of additional latency at 60Hz, many people live further than that from their nearest data center, even if you live closer unless you have a direct connection it's still got to go through your ISP's internal network first, which could exit much into the wider internet much further away from the data center than you live, and lest we not forget...we don't live in a vacuum.

Not to mention the ISPs imposing data caps for all of that 8K or higher data moving around (this is PS9 after all)

Derktron

Banned
I do remember watching an episode on Attack of the Show on G4TV and I could have sworn that Sony said a few years ago that PlayStation will last till PlayStation 9. I don't know but I felt like I remember them stating that before when the PS3 was in the early years.

JLB

Banned

You are being very obtuse. When i talk about infra, im referring in part to have datacenters at close distances for a majority of users. Adding some input lag is not a big issue within a threshold. If not why majority use wireless controllers?
I have tried nowadays techs like Stadia (in ideal conditions) and even for fast paced fps games it works incredibly well.
Just imagine this technology but with 25 more years of r&d.

I remember this commercial when ps2 was dropping and thinking it was way meta back then. As commercials go I remember liking it back then ,and seeing it now is not too cringe so thumbs up. Top 5 or 10 ps commercials really.
Yeah, I think it's cool that they attempted this far into the future preview of the PS9 as marketing for the PS2 by showing in the end how the PS2 is the beginning; the PS2 is their first next-gen console. It was around the time when Ken Kutaragi was talking about jacking into the Matrix.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Yeah. I still wonder what a dream gland is to this day.
It's the pineal gland, also known as your 3rd eye, it produces and secretes dimethyltryptamine (DMT) during sleep and during death. I think the ad was alluding to it but didn't want to right out say it.

I think tech-wise the future will be different from what we can envision right now, but functionally - will be similar. It is like with everything no? People of the past predicted the future of wireless communication but they could only describe it with their knowledge at that time.

I do think that we are gonna have some enchancements and chips with integration to brain.

Last edited:

NahaNago

If we go by the 7 year cycle then ps9 should release in 2048. So 27 years from now. I'm curious to know how powerful consoles would be if they even exised during that time. We might even get current pixar level graphics for games at that time :messenger_tears_of_joy:. I doubt graphics will jump that dramatically like it did 30 years ago to now but it will still be interesting to see the improvements.

Romulus

High-end VR actually gets a lot closer to that much earlier than I imagined. It's obviously not there, but the "presence" of feeling like you're inside another world is very convincing. When this commercial came out, I wouldn't think 2020s VR would be able to do a decent % of what this commercial depicts, but it does.

Dream-Knife

Banned
People love buying things.

Some people derive their self worth from their purchases, so I don't think that's going anywhere.

Then again there's stadia fanboys so who knows.

Three

If you alter it slightly we have some of those things since the PS2. Retinal Scanning, we might have retinal tracking, holographic surround we have VR and Tempest 3D Audio, telepathic music we have Spotify which creates a profile of the music you will probably like based on your listening history. It's amazing how far we've come since the PS2.

Last edited:
I mean, is it that far off from reality lol? Think about it, PS9 will be out in 20 years if we go by 5yr cycle between consoles. I can totally see that jump.

You are being very obtuse. When i talk about infra, im referring in part to have datacenters at close distances for a majority of users
Which would cost huge amounts of money, same reason game servers aren't close to most people now.
Adding some input lag is not a big issue within a threshold. If not why majority use wireless controllers?
Apparently you aren't aware that wireless controllers are now all basically universally lower latency than wired. There's nothing about wireless that is inherently higher latency, you just have to keep the signal intact...and at this point we can poll a wireless controller at 1000Hz, meaning 1ms or less of latency, actually faster than USB which is usually 125Hz.

JLB

Banned
People love buying things.

Some people derive their self worth from their purchases, so I don't think that's going anywhere.

Then again there's stadia fanboys so who knows.

People used to love buying music on CDs. Then digital was more affordable / convenient, and here we are. Videogames are following the same route.
There will be some vintage market in the future of course, but they will be of the same size of Stadia fanboys right now.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Which would cost huge amounts of money, same reason game servers aren't close to most people now.
Apparently you aren't aware that wireless controllers are now all basically universally lower latency than wired. There's nothing about wireless that is inherently higher latency, you just have to keep the signal intact...and at this point we can poll a wireless controller at 1000Hz, meaning 1ms or less of latency, actually faster than USB which is usually 125Hz.

Didnt know that wireless supposedly has lower input lag than wired. But the point is the same, if it would be the other way around most of people will still prefer wireless for convenience.

On the economy of scale, and through more stable revenue streams like subs, cloud gaming will eventually be defacto way of gaming. It just makes a hell lot of sense.

Top Bottom