• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you prefer numbered sequels or subtitles in video games?

levyjl1988

Banned
What is your preference?

Titles like: Dragon Age: Origins, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Paper Mario Thousand-Year Door, Star Fox Assault games with subtitles...

or

Titles like: Halo 4, Metroid Prime 3, Destiny 2, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Overwatch 2, Diablo 3, StarCraft 2, Witcher 3, SoulCalibur 6, etc, with a numbered sequel in the franchise?

or indifference.

I honestly prefer video games with subtitles, often games with numbered iterations dissuade newcomers to the franchise as they are not acquainted with the original title, but I could be wrong.

Back when I had a physical collection, I preferred subtitles especially if the series spans across multiple console generations. Now that I'm all digital, I don't care.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't really have a preference. Guess I never really thought about it. It is what it is.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
give me both a la kojima. cdpr did the same thing for the witcher now that i think of it.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Numbers.

I still get chills thinking back at the halo 3 reveal trailer when it fades to black and we get the holograph shot of the H3 logo with that music swelling. For me I feel the impact would be a little less if they named it something like Halo: Finish the Fight or something

I like numbers and subtitles left for spin-offs
Also this.

Last edited:

Nezzeroth

Subtitles. I feel like numbers after 5 or 6 is too much. Subtitles you can go on forever and it always sounds good.

Banned
Numbers.
subtitles get confusing aafter a while.

I still refer to Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow as Splinter Cell 2 and Chaos Theory as Splinter Cell 3. it's faster and easier to grasp.

NahaNago

If your not using the same character then subtitles if so then numbers. I kinda feel sequels should get numbers but just games in that universe with a whole new cast of main characters should be numbers. Numbers just make me feel like I'm missing something if I haven't played from the very beginning and having to play every single game in order to get to the current one just kills any hype I have for the series.

I like numbers and subtitles left for spin-offs
Perfect response.

For mainline series, I tend to like numbered entries. The problem with subtitles is that you start reusing a lot of the same ones: "Origins"... "Revelations".... "Bloodlines". On the other hand, you can get some bizarre stuff, like "Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days" or subtitles where it's a word soup of things strung together where the individual words sound cool, but when put together it's a WTF-party.

Last edited:

Banned
If your not using the same character then subtitles if so then numbers. I kinda feel sequels should get numbers but just games in that universe with a whole new cast of main characters should be numbers. Numbers just make me feel like I'm missing something if I haven't played from the very beginning and having to play every single game in order to get to the current one just kills any hype I have for the series.

-Final Fantasy has left the chat-

Link1110

Subtitles. I feel like numbers after 5 or 6 is too much. Subtitles you can go on forever and it always sounds good.
Safer for the devs, too. If the game is bad, can always pull a Tales of the Tempest and say "that one doesn't count as a main series game." Couldn't have done that if it were called "Tales of Phantasia IX."

Both. But it really depends how the games are connected.

A continuous story should be numbered. For example Mass Effect 1 to 3 but then Andromeda has no number because it's not part of the series.

The same sort of way COD does it. Black Ops 1, 2, 3 ETC when they're connected. But then Infinite Warfare, Modern Warfare etc when they're not is okay.

The likelihood of numbers going above 3 or 4 seems very low I don't think we get many games with 6 or 7 in the name. I guess there is some marketing thing about the cut off point where people start to subconsciously feel milked when they see high numbers but with subtitles it's okay.

Jeeves

Depends on how "direct" the sequel is. Even though Nier Automata sort of continues the story from Nier Gestalt/Replicant, it's disconnected enough to stand on its own. Numbers are great for something like Yakuza.

Final Fantasy breaks this rule and it's why we get stupid titles like FFX-2 when they do make a direct sequel.

Bakkus

If the story is directly connected, then numbering (with a subtitle if it's fairly story heavy). If not, then subtitles without a number next to it.

D.Final

Banned
What is your preference?

Titles like: Dragon Age: Origins, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Paper Mario Thousand-Year Door, Star Fox Assault games with subtitles...

or

Titles like: Halo 4, Metroid Prime 3, Destiny 2, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Overwatch 2, Diablo 3, StarCraft 2, Witcher 3, SoulCalibur 6, etc, with a numbered sequel in the franchise?

or indifference.

I honestly prefer video games with subtitles, often games with numbered iterations dissuade newcomers to the franchise as they are not acquainted with the original title, but I could be wrong.

I don't have preference.
Sometimes the subtitles are a significant clue for the plot of a game.
But sometimes it becomes exaggerated

StormCell

I would prefer my sequels have numbers just because it's easier to know right away the order of the series.

In some cases, where the sequels aren't really sequels and could be entirely disconnected stories, it might make sense to do strictly sub-titles. Legend of Zelda is all sub-titles, but if I wasn't such a fan of the series I'd have little idea what's what. Good thing it doesn't really matter.

AllyITA

if it is a direct sequel (same characters, story going on etc..) then number
if it's just on the same saga then subtitles are fine. (zelda)

it's not that important

what i don't like are games with the same title (old doom and new doom, tomb raider, prince of persia)

Majukun

Numbers when you are keeping the gameplay intact and with the same spirit, subtitle when you are just milking a franchise without keeping continuity of gameplay, like yakuza like a dragon

I'm not partial to either as long as the developer is clear on whether it's a main-line sequel or not.

Fallout is a good example of inconsistent naming conventions. The mainline games are numbered and the side games like Fallout Tactics and Fallout '76 are titled, but to me New Vegas was a full sequel to Fallout 3 (honestly it was more of a Fallout 2 sequel since it's west coast) but it got a title. In my mind Fallout 4 is the 5th game in the main series.

LordCBH

One or the other but stick with it. I hate when it's a bunch of numbers and then SURPRISE subtitle only, but it is continuing the story.

Top Bottom