• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you have a favorite game never released outside of Japan?

Bahamut_Lagoon_Coverart.png

Paltheos

Nice. I thought I might be the only person to bring this game up. Macross 30 is great. There's not much to the game world but the combat flows so much smoother than the (few) Gundam games I've played - Probably due to the valkyrie transformation letting you switch between high speed and heavy assault so easily. Also great how all the classic Macross characters' VAs come back (not that this is surprising - it's Japan) and that the girls' songs provide actual buffs in battle.

There's Zero no Kiseki but that's getting an international soon I think?

Geofront's fan patch is so good that it stomps many official localizations. NISA is releasing it later this year though, yes (using Geofront's work as a basis!).

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Uh, what's the name of the game?

WE CAN'T READ JAPANESE

Angry Nicksplat GIF by NickRewind

Tsugi no Giseisha o Oshirase Shimasu.

Its a trilogy of videogames from psp.

Tsugino or Tsugi no Giseisha o Oshirase Shimasu (I’ll Let you Know Who the Next Victim is) is a mystery/horror Visual Novel series for PSP developed by Boost On.

First Game: Tsugi no Giseisha o Oshirase Shimasu: Kimi to kono Hateru Kotonai Kurayami o

Second Game: Tsugi no Giseisha o Oshirase Shimasu: Shi to Zetsubou o Norikoete

Third Game: Tsugi no Giseisha o Oshirase Shimasu: Houkai Suru Sekai ni Shinigami to.

Each game’s telling the same story with the same cast of characters but from a different POV. You can find reused dialogues and scenes in the second and third game but most of it’s new with a different outcome and other characters dying/surviving. In order to get the full picture you’ll have to play all games.

Story:
14 people are kidnapped and brought to the 49th floor of an abandoned building.
They can’t remember how they got there but one thing becomes clear pretty fast. All of them are forced to participate in a killing game and the only way out is to win said game.

Who will survive this hell?
Can they find out who the mastermind behind this crazy game is?

Its the same game, but each UMD Its the point of view from the cover art characters.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Kinda like Zero Escape?
Is this video from the game? Can't find many videos, and the name in japanese is loooooooooong

Yeah. Its similar like Zero Escape games, with a interesting plot twist... With elements like '' the big brother TV show''.

There is a page with fan sub in english with part of the game.

Last edited:

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
185220.jpg

Still the game with the best sports career mode ever. I just wish they would make a new game. The anime is still going strong.

SkylineRKR

Wachenroder was a fun game, could be picked up for 5 bucks back then. I played it with guide. Its kinda FFVII tactics. I also tried SegaGaGa. And Cosmic Smash was absolutely awesome.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Wachenroder is a great pick. The game is being fan-translated in English.

My pick is Terra Phantastica on Saturn. It is a T-RPG using an isometric view. Medieval setting with fantasy and a huge focus on political affairs. Gorgeous pixel-art and great gameplay. No idea if this will ever get translated...

Terra_Phantastica.jpg

There are also many Mega-CD RPGs I would have loved to try : Shadowrun, Illusion City and the SMT port.

And on MegaDrive, the Hybrid Front looks great. This one might get translated.
We probably are the only two people who know this game.

If you enjoy rhythm games then K-ON! Ho-kago Live!! is a gem for PSP. I also imported the HD version on PS3 that's pretty much the same but in HD with stereoscopic 3D. Sure it helps if you enjoy K-ON!, but it's a pretty good rhythm game even if you don't

Fbh

Wasn't even that big into the show but I played this a lot back in the day.

6159EJM2DBL.jpg

Tennis games have always been my favorite sport games and this one mixed that with anime and some over the top special techniques. Was really fun.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Imabikisou

PS3+Imabikisou.jpg

Novel style horror game. Bought it when I was living in Singapore even though I knew it was strictly Japanese. Images in the game are really cool but I obviously have no clue what's going on in it, lol.

I have this game pending too, I saw the pictures and it's great, but I don't know a damn thing about it xDDD.

FUN FACT: It also came out for wii

Last edited:

cowgod

Neo Member
Came here to post Wachenroder, and saw it in OP. Wow, just wow. Nothing I have done since that Summer of 1999 when I secured my copy of Wachenroder from a local game store dealing in illicit, gray-market software. has topped that experience. At some point, when when manually translating the game, I believe I hit my scholarly peak. This was before the era of Screens and before multiple recessions combined with multiple streaming services basically turned Truth, Money, Justice, and Love into defunct, anachronistic concepts. I may have gone on later to do exceptionally well on the LSAT and ace OCI. I may have even gone on LATER to self-teach Engineering and specialize in System Design. I may, as a matter of fact, have a predilection for a particular fetish which I cannot get into, which I THINK a lot of Saturn owners have a penchant for, which is shown to correlate strongly with one's intellectual prowess. But it was in that summer of 1999 - that same summer of Blair Witch and Star Wars Episode I - that, when translating this game, and learning its battle systems and strategic elements (linearity notwithstanding) that I was closer to a state of intellectual eudaimonia than perhaps I have ever been, before or sense. My question is, do any of you share this experience? Does it have something to do with translating a game from its original language? With playing a game from a far-flung land, unmolested by the Ted Woolseys of the world, and "making it your own" through sheer brute-force translation? Again, I felt none of this playing any other video game. The Genesis and N64 games that I played were just violent orgies or platformers (or, like *shudder* Conker, both). Where else in gaming can one get his INTELLECTUAL rocks off like in a Saturn strategy RPG? Even on the Gamecube, the second most intellectual system, I felt none of this playing Baiten Katos or its sequel. Do I need to play it in its original language to have the type of experience which I am seeking?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Is this one of those "sound novels"? Had no idea they still made those.

Are those more straight to the point than visual novels?
I find it hard to get into visual novels because most of them have way too much filler and hentai.
yea, it's a visual/choose your own adventure type game.

The images in this one are real people. Stylized but it gives it a great legit horror vibe.
imabikisou-20070920015232358_640w.jpg
imabikisou-20070920015231233_640w.jpg

s-l640.jpg
imabikisou-kaimei-hen_85203.jpg

Vandole

PfbLcq1.jpg

Dark Half for the SFC. You play as both the hero and the villain. A typical chapter starts as you playing as... basically the devil... and you visit a town, kill some villagers, and make life awful. During the second half of the chapter you're back as the hero seeing all the awful stuff that happened and maybe fixing some of the problems.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Came here to post Wachenroder, and saw it in OP. Wow, just wow. Nothing I have done since that Summer of 1999 when I secured my copy of Wachenroder from a local game store dealing in illicit, gray-market software. has topped that experience. At some point, when when manually translating the game, I believe I hit my scholarly peak. This was before the era of Screens and before multiple recessions combined with multiple streaming services basically turned Truth, Money, Justice, and Love into defunct, anachronistic concepts. I may have gone on later to do exceptionally well on the LSAT and ace OCI. I may have even gone on LATER to self-teach Engineering and specialize in System Design. I may, as a matter of fact, have a predilection for a particular fetish which I cannot get into, which I THINK a lot of Saturn owners have a penchant for, which is shown to correlate strongly with one's intellectual prowess. But it was in that summer of 1999 - that same summer of Blair Witch and Star Wars Episode I - that, when translating this game, and learning its battle systems and strategic elements (linearity notwithstanding) that I was closer to a state of intellectual eudaimonia than perhaps I have ever been, before or sense. My question is, do any of you share this experience? Does it have something to do with translating a game from its original language? With playing a game from a far-flung land, unmolested by the Ted Woolseys of the world, and "making it your own" through sheer brute-force translation? Again, I felt none of this playing any other video game. The Genesis and N64 games that I played were just violent orgies or platformers (or, like *shudder* Conker, both). Where else in gaming can one get his INTELLECTUAL rocks off like in a Saturn strategy RPG? Even on the Gamecube, the second most intellectual system, I felt none of this playing Baiten Katos or its sequel. Do I need to play it in its original language to have the type of experience which I am seeking?
This is some furious copy pasta. Salute.

giphy.gif

STARSBarry

Gold Member

There is no way this wouldent get released these days, especially with what is essentially there sequels Project X Zone getting released... also Super Robot Wars Endless Frontier... but not the second game EXCEED...

Canonical timeline is essentially this.

NAMCO X Capcom (JP only)
SRW OG: Endless Frontier (JP & USA)
SRW OG: Endless Frontier EXCEED (JP only)
Project X Zone (all territories)
Project X Zone 2 (all territories)
SRW OG: Moon Dwellers (JP & USA)
Project X Zone 3 (soon to be released)

Making this quite the fragmented series release, but this is the game that started it all by introducing Arisu Reiji & Xiaomu with their dimension hopping abilties and their antagonist Saya.

Game also features Dig Dug...

owhp11gxe2n31.jpg

Now I know redesigns arnt always the way to go but man if I don't love this one.

Last edited:
Wachenroder

Wachenroder-manual-1-1024x995-1.jpg

The gameplay and plot are all good, a solid 8 out of 10, but what really sets it apart as a phenomenal game is its brilliant atmosphere, art direction and music.

Pallas

Gold Member
I was going to post more but already seen a few I had thought of on here… these two though are from Squaresoft on the Super
Famicom. Never officially localized and released.

Treasure of the Rudras (ルドラの秘宝, Rudora no Hihou, "Treasure of Rudra")

It’s basically your generic turn based JRPG with the exception of having 3 playable characters, each with their own unique story lines that intertwines at the end. The magic system is also quite different, called Mantra which uses words that you can input to create the spell(you can literally get the most powerful spells early in the game , if you know what to use, though they aren’t that useful early on)

coVnEHF.jpg
laJYJ6B.jpg
OwT9ZOv.jpg

Treasure Hunter G (トレジャーハンターG, Torejā Hantā Jī)

It’s a cute, fun tactical rpg with a bit of darker touch to it, it’s about a treasure Hunter hunting for magical relics, there’s more story to it but it’s been a very long time since I played this.

DxUpYiJ.jpg

OessJEy.png
o9OOUDw.png
QK94akp.png

2-B00-E619-942-E-4-B09-B38-D-32-FB6-A525-D1-C.jpg

Berserk: Millennium Falcon
Sengoku Basara X Cross
Hokuto No Ken

Berserk because it’s a flawed action game, but the setting and characters are fantastic. Devil Kings and HNK because they’re fun fighting games. You can perform crazy combos and enjoy the cast of characters. These games only appeal to a certain group of people it seems. I bought Basara X Cross the day it came out in Japan and I paid close to $100 for it due to shipping.

This post, plus another video I was listening to, will get me to track down the Berserk Millenium Falcon game. I adore the series and have an itch to smash demons with the dragonslayer. Thank you sir!

On topic, I loved the Gundam Battlefield Record 0081, Gundam Versus EX (back when it was JPN only), and Gundam SEED Battle Destiny for the Vita.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I have this game pending too, I saw the pictures and it's great, but I don't know a damn thing about it xDDD.

FUN FACT: It also came out for wii
I bought a HDMI splitter than allows me to capture PS3 via the current Elgato model. I got the idea to capture some footage of Imabikisou and then I got the idea to see if there's a Japanese translation app, there is. I put like an hour into it tonight, just took pictures of each screen and narrated the video, it's working fine so far. Translation is questionable at times (lol) but it gives enough detail to deduce what is happening in the story. Even better, I can actually figure out what I'm selecting when making a decision in how I reply to something.

I'm uploading it to YouTube, I'll send you the link once it's done.

I forgot how great the production values are in it, the images look so damn cool and some fantastic music. Stoked to see what happens once the game gets spooky and all that.

Heimdall_Xtreme

I bought a HDMI splitter than allows me to capture PS3 via the current Elgato model. I got the idea to capture some footage of Imabikisou and then I got the idea to see if there's a Japanese translation app, there is. I put like an hour into it tonight, just took pictures of each screen and narrated the video, it's working fine so far. Translation is questionable at times (lol) but it gives enough detail to deduce what is happening in the story. Even better, I can actually figure out what I'm selecting when making a decision in how I reply to something.

I'm uploading it to YouTube, I'll send you the link once it's done.

I forgot how great the production values are in it, the images look so damn cool and some fantastic music. Stoked to see what happens once the game gets spooky and all that.
I like the idea 🙂👍🏻

supernova8

Banned
Maybe it's because I'm not participating, but this whole thread looks like a big pissing contest of who can name the most obscure game. Like annoying craft beer dude but for video games.

oh yeah love GIF by Deschutes Brewery

Skelterz

Goemon_-_Bouken_Jidai_Katsugeki_Coverart.png

Never got the opportunity to play this one to be honest much like the rest of the franchise it all needs to be released properly in the west in a big fat collection.

Croga

Front Mission 5 for me, it's legit the best Front Mission game by a mile and one of my favorite tactical JRPG's.
(Luckily some legend created a fan translation for it!)

I must have sunk maybe 200+ hours into the game, it had a huge amount of content.

A real shame it never got the exposure the game deserved. Anyone who's a fan of turn based tactical RPG's should play it.
I would kill for a remake / remaster!

Great trailer for the game (shame about the quality, but hey it's 2005 and a PS2 game lol):

Last edited:
Top Bottom