• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you feel any nostalgia for the ps360/wii? God knows I do.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I really don’t. Not that there weren’t games I absolutely loved during that era, but it wasn’t that long ago. I get nostalgic about the ps1 and Saturn era. Even the PS2 era.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I feel more nostalgic for the time itself, as it was when I first got high-speed broadband and really started to get more involved in the gaming community. It's when I first started to listen to podcasts (GFW and 1UPYours FTW). E3 was still a major thing (except in 2007) and it was just a great time to be a gamer. I made friends through message boards that I still regularly play games with and watch movies and wrestling with via Discord.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Both the 360 and Wii were fabulous. For the most part at least. The twilight years (2011-2013) were rough.

The Wii gave me several unique game experiences you couldn't find on any other platform and some of Nintendo's best. Sometimes you had to dig through a lot of shovelware to get to the good stuff, but it was worth it. Oh, and it had some great titles for local multiplayer as well. Creating Miis was so charming. Everyone had a Hitler Mii. The online system was crap, but that didn't stop me from putting hours into Mario Kart Wii and Monster Hunter Tri, etc.
The 360s first few years were just amazing and stacked with great titles. You had next-gen versions of some 6th gen titles and for the most part the best versions of multiplats, as well as a decent-sized amount of exclusives. Also the most competent online system and a fantastic controller.

Both systems complemented each other perfectly.

Only a bit. The Halo series was at its peak then, and there were definitely great games on the consoles. But I look back and see the Wii and PS3 as the weakest consoles each company launched, and the 360 was good (def Microsoft’s best) but having a PC makes it less relevant. The 360 controller at the time was the best controller released. The DS4 and Switch Pro controller have since surpassed it, but it stood its ground a long time.

Havoc2049

As an Xbox 360 owner, it was amazing up to a point. Everything started to suck around the time the Kinect came out and Microsoft made some horrible moves.
-Bungie left
-Ensemble Studios was shut down
-FASA Studios was shut down
-Bizarre Creations was left to die
-Rare and Lionhead went Kinect
-Lionhead was left to die
-So many good IPs that MS owned were left to die
- Itagaki left Team Ninja and Ninja Gaiden 3 happened
-The Elder Scrolls series was dumbed down
-Mass Effect 3 wasn't that good
-The Phantasy Star Universe servers were shut down
-The awesome e feature of watching movies with your buddies on Netflix via Xbox Live chat in a movie theater setting was cut out
-The Xbox One E3 reveal happened

Sorry for being so negative.🤣 Overall, I loved the gen and played some great games on my X360 and Nintendo DS. It was also the last time I bought some awesome retro games at reasonable prices, before everything got stupid expensive. I bought a complete copy of Snatcher for the Sega CD for $60 back then.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
As an Xbox 360 owner, it was amazing up to a point. Everything started to suck around the time the Kinect came out and Microsoft made some horrible moves.
-Bungie left
-Ensemble Studios was shut down
-FASA Studios was shut down
-Bizarre Creations was left to die
-Rare and Lionhead went Kinect
-Lionhead was left to die
-So many good IPs that MS owned were left to die
- Itagaki left Team Ninja and Ninja Gaiden 3 happened
-The Elder Scrolls series was dumbed down
-Mass Effect 3 wasn't that good
-The Phantasy Star Universe servers were shut down
-The awesome e feature of watching movies with your buddies on Netflix via Xbox Live chat in a movie theater setting was cut out
-The Xbox One E3 reveal happened

Sorry for being so negative.🤣 Overall, I loved the gen and played some great games on my X360 and Nintendo DS. It was also the last time I bought some awesome retro games at reasonable prices, before everything got stupid expensive. I bought a complete copy of Snatcher for the Sega CD for $60 back then.

three lights red..... THE WORST ERROR FOR XBOX 360... THANKS TO THIS... XBOX LOST ME FOR A LONG TIME.

Havoc2049

three lights red..... THE WORST ERROR FOR XBOX 360... THANKS TO THIS... XBOX LOST ME FOR A LONG TIME.
Ya, the RROD sucked, but MS built up such great momentum with the OG Xbox and with Xbox Live, the pain was bearable. On the horizon was Halo 3, Halo Wars, Ninja Gaiden 2, Dead or Alive 4, Oblivion, Project Gotham Racing 4, some cool MS published JRPGs and Sega was still making some amazing and fresh action games and JRPGs.

Naked Lunch

PS3 was and is a MGS4 and Demon's Souls player.
Wii was and is a Sin & Punishment Star Successor player.

The 360 has argueably the greatest gaming library of all time capped by tons of the best performing ports, the best mp selection, still to this day best collection of 3d action games, Cave shmup exclusives, and even Treasure's offerings like Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, and the still exclusive Bangai-O Missile Fury.

That entire ps360 gen is gaming's last truly great generation. Its all downhill from there.

Top Bottom