• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever take long breaks from social media, including message boards like Gaf?

mortal

Gold Member
Do you ever take long breaks from social media, including message boards like Gaf?
If so, how would you describe your experiecne?
What's the longest you've gone without any form of social media?

Kamina

Golden Boy
Not from GAF, but i usually dont consume any other form of social media.
Deleted my Facenook years ago
Haven’t used Twatter in years, beyond reading what is posted here.
Don’t know how instagram or TikTock even work
Know no other sites

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I don't use GAF when i'm on holiday and i mostly avoid social media.

The only social media contact i have is through the things posted on GAF and one ore two artists i sometimes have a look out for.
I have no accounts for any site or service except NeoGAF that has something to do with the likes of Facebook or Twitter.
I'm satisfied and in peace with myself considering my consumption of online social activity.

How about you mortal mortal ?

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Sometimes.

I quite most social media a year ago. Just went back onto Twitter because I was missing political discussions ever since they were banned here and......Christ on a bike, what a mistake. Forgot how many loons are on Twitter, especially the crazy FBPE cult. I'm now back off Twitter for good.

mortal

Gold Member
I periodically uninstall Instagram.
I also unfollow a bunch of people on twitter when my feed just becomes depressing and toxic.
I do that with instagram as well. Not making it a finger tap away makes a world of difference for sure.

I don't use social media very often at all. I use GAF pretty frequently.
I can relate, but I wanted to also include sites like Gaf and other traditional message boards.
A break from any sort of virtual social activity really.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Gaf is my only social media unless you count Reddit. No interest in platforms like Facebook, twitter, insta, etc.

I spend more time on Gaf than probably any other site. Reddit is a heavy use as well, but the discussions there are non-existent so I engage less often.

Last edited:

MachRc

Not really.

I just like getting paid to surf the nets and "talk" in thread like structures with like minded people.
I moderate another board, talking about window regulators and coolant system failures until the end of time,
so I like getting some free time here as I like the more active gamer crowd.
it makes my day at the office go faster-er.

sweet, like some of you I do not moderate any try not to participate on the weekends.
Ive been doing this so long that my weekends and stuff is dedicated to family.
I dont do facebook, but have a placeholder that points to my instagram because
less talk, more photos.

mortal

Gold Member
Know no other sites
I have similar usage. I'm not on any of the most recent ones like Tiktok, but I see that more as a general thing. Zoomers are all about Video/ AR apps and seem to make the most out of them.
Tbh I've never been crazy about the UX of Twitter, so I never really got into.

I don't use GAF when i'm on holiday and i mostly avoid social media.

The only social media contact i have is through the things posted on GAF and one ore two artists i sometimes have a look out for.

I'm satisfied and in peace with myself considering my consumption of online social activity.

How about you mortal mortal ?
That's good to hear.
I would agree with setting actual boundaries. Keeps you accountable for your own actions and affirms you have autonomy.
I do best to limit my general use of social media and how many I adopt at a time. I'm particular to visual stimuli so I have to be mindful of ones like Instagram.
It's funny how little you begin to miss it after a couple of weeks, especially after feeling hooked for a period of time.

Sometimes.

I quite most social media a year ago. Just went back onto Twitter because I was missing political discussions ever since they were banned here and......Christ on a bike, what a mistake. Forgot how many loons are on Twitter, especially the crazy FBPE cult. I'm now back off Twitter for good.
Twitter is so bizarre, I use to think that animosity and vitriol were mostly due to anonymity, but things like Twitter pretty much disproved that for me.
It's not an absolute though, as there are still some interesting things and interesting people sharing ideas on Twitter especially in more creative communities.
Although I don't understand why so much of the interaction manifests as tribalism and confrontational exchanges.
Yea it can be a decent source of news and information if you follow the right accounts, but I just wasn't a fan of the UX, so I ultimately deleted my account.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

i mostly only use gaf

i took insta and FB off my phone a while back. ill log in on my desktop to those two once in a while, but other than tat i dont participate much

i dont need to take a break from gaf, tho. it takes up a bunch of my time but i enjoy it, and its not a toxic environment, so it doesnt create a problem

Last edited:

zeorhymer

I look at FB/Twatter for 5 min a month or even less. I do a quick 5 min stare at Insta for the hot people. I took a year or so break from GAF.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Facebook I just use to spy on exes and cousins.
Twitter is ok, but only in small doses; Wario64 tweets some good deals out for example.
Everything else (besides gaf) is bleh.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
i mostly only use gaf

i took insta and FB off my phone a while back. ill log in on my desktop to those two once in a while, but other than tat i dont participate much

i dont need to take a break from gaf, tho. it takes up a bunch of my time but i enjoy it, and its not a toxic environment, so it doesnt create a problem
Yep. This place is chill. Lots of great posters & discussion here.

mortal

Gold Member
Gaf is my only social media unless you count Reddit. No interest in platforms like Facebook, twitter, insta, etc.

I spend more time on Gaf than probably any other site. Reddit is a heavy use as well, but the discussions there are non-existent so I engage less often.
I can abstain from all of them, but Gaf always seems to be a fallback. Seems to be the case for others as well.
As much as I enjoy the community on Gaf, I find it helps to take a break from here, just to compare the difference and how to use that time.
I find that I'm more appreciative of it after a break.

Not really.

I just like getting paid to surf the nets and "talk" in thread like structures with like minded people.
I moderate another board, talking about window regulators and coolant system failures until the end of time,
so I like getting some free time here as I like the more active gamer crowd.
it makes my day at the office go faster-er.

sweet, like some of you I do not moderate any try not to participate on the weekends.
Ive been doing this so long that my weekends and stuff is dedicated to family.
I dont do facebook, but have a placeholder that points to my instagram because
less talk, more photos.
It's interesting to read from a different perspective like yours.

It's becoming increasingly rare to live modern life without ever using any form of social media.
Some use it to stay in touch with family & friends. Some use it for hooking up, some use it for professional work.
Some use it for gathering news and information. Some use it to engage in discourse. Some just use it out of curiosity.
It's become interwoven with the fabric of society, for better or worse. It's become part of common life.

Sakura

Nah I don't really use social media to begin with.
I don't bother with Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc. Just doesn't interest me.
I'm not sure I'd place gaf in the same boat as those forms of social media. Either way, I'm not on here a ton each day, so it doesn't really eat into my time.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I only use GAF and Facebook Messenger to keep touch or follow events. Privacy is of uttermost importance to me.

Fbh

Not from GAF.

I've been away from every other social media (except Whatsap, if that counts) for about 3 or 4 years.

Fuz

Banned
Taking a long break from facebook.

It's shit. Just full of mindless rage, hate and stupidity. Black or white, no grey scale.
It's not even the people, it's the media that get the worst out of them.

Covid exacerbated that, and I'm out.

All the time. My online social presence is basically non-existent across everything for the past 10 years. Chances are I won't reply to being quoted either.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Yes, most of the ones infested by the general population (Twitter, Reddit, etc.) are overrun by morons and are just dumpster fires. I've never posted much here, but I'll poke my head in and see what's going on somewhat regularly. Smaller, independent forums like this are much more pleasant than going to Reddit. Unfortunately, message boards like this are becoming increasingly rare.

Know no other sites
That’s exactly me.

Lone Wolf

a day or 2 maybe, but the only social media I use is GAF and another forum once in a while. I don’t have Reddit, twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or any other form of social media.

mortal

Gold Member
Facebook I just use to spy on exes and cousins.
Twitter is ok, but only in small doses; Wario64 tweets some good deals out for example.
Everything else (besides gaf) is bleh.
Have you ever taken a long break from all of them?

Smaller, independent forums like this are much more pleasant than going to Reddit. Unfortunately, message boards like this are becoming increasingly rare.
I would agree. Assuming the community and moderation is solid., I can tolerant these soft of message broads more so than modern social media platfroms.
It's shame, but undersatdnbale as to why they've fallen out of fvaor with most people. In a way it works out becuase you'll be enaging with like minded people more often.

Taking a long break from facebook.

It's shit. Just full of mindless rage, hate and stupidity. Black or white, no grey scale.
It's not even the people, it's the media that get the worst out of them.

Covid exacerbated that, and I'm out.
Call me crazy, but I'm certain a good chunk of that isn't generating from actual real people. and are sometimes bot accounts or shills.
At times it can be difficult to tell the fabricated from the genuine.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Neogaf is the only place I really post. I don't intentionally take breaks, sometimes it just happens.

I have instagram, fb, etc, but those are mostly for information gathering/research purposes, with an occasional forced attempt to fit in with the normals.

BigBooper

I only browse Gaf and Reddit. I've deactivated my Facebook and don't use any of that faffing about social media. It drained my joy and respect for people.

I prefer to actually know the person rather than the persona, or I'd rather not bother with them.

*Nightwing

This is the closest to social media I use. And yes I take extended breaks periodically to reset impulsive control. Due to take a break soon as I’m logged on lurking everywhere way to much on here lately, searching for my next shitposting opportunity for my own entertainment rather than getting meaningful enjoyment out of participating with the community here

Kinda.

I got rid of Facebook end of 2019. Has been nothing but a positive so far.

I got rid of Instagram around the same time too because I never used it and I never saw the point

I have twitter but I use it like once every 4 or 5 months to yell randomly at companies about stuff (Seriously, where're my buffalo Bugles?!)

I only use NEOGaf when i'm at the college which is sometimes once a week

I use Reddit almost on the daily

I use PSN almost daily

I do have Snapchat and use it at least once a day

I have Whisper and only use it every few months when I need to rant or ask a question about something in the area

I've had a GameFAQS account since I think 2001 when I was wee small but haven't touched it in 2 years

I'm on Microsoft Teams quite a bit but that's because of work

I think that's it for social media? I don't do dating apps. I don't do hookup apps. And I have Kik but it seems to have died. They announced they were shutting down in 2019 and everyone left the platform. They ended up selling it to a new company and people never came back.

Does Pokemon Go count? :D

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Several years but I'm on gaf daily and twitter/Instagram/youtube following mma fighters or other athletes and reading mma news all the trash talk between fighters and fans is very entertaining

Vagswarm

Not really. I only use a couple forums and view a few websites on the regular. Facebook is the only real social media platform I have, but that's just for the friends remaining from my hometown. I don't actively engage all the crap that goes on there, or really care much.

I spend a lot of time on the PC for school work and a bit of gaming, so all the other stuff is pretty much right there.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
I used Twitter almost daily up until the 2016 election when everyone went batshit insane. Since then I visit maybe once or twice a week now.

Video game message boards are the only thing I frequent regularly.

It’s kind of impossible to cut out social media in a significant way when we have phones on us at all times. It’s so easy to whip out, hit refresh and shitpost with wreckless abandon.

Yes, I've been doing that a lot lately.

I frequently go a few days to a week without logging in to GAF these days. It's good to pull yourself away from the internet at times, despite how fun it is.

In the past when I used to post I was on here everyday and similar sites, it got a bit too much.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Break Up Friends GIF

Paasei

Depends on what people clarify as social media nowadays.

I don't have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok or a dating app.

But some see Discord, Youtube and this site as social media. If that's the case for you, then yes, I use social media and no, I do not periodically stop using those. Although I only watch (old) documentary stuff on YouTube and sometimes a review of something I'm interested in. Not subbed to channels or anything.

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

I dropped the majority of Social media a few years ago

No Twitter it’s just lefty’s screeching at one another anyway.

No Insta
No Snap

Facebook for selling my wares but don’t post personal stuff.

Gaf for gaming/news and the lols

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Got rid of FB years ago, but I spend wayyyyy too much time endlessly scrolling through Gaf, Reeeee, Reddit, and Youtube. It fills my head with the most vocal and reactionary political bullshit. Most of the shit I read also makes me angry or agitated. Check out /nosurf on reddit for people's experiences with cutting out social media. I've been thinking about trying a week long internet detox, but my mind and body are weak.

Vagswarm

I spend wayyyyy too much time endlessly scrolling through Gaf, Reeeee, Reddit, and Youtube. It fills my head with the most vocal and reactionary political bullshit. Most of the shit I read also makes me angry or agitated.
Those last two used to piss me off as well. Too much negativity can affect you no matter where it's from. I cut them both out (at least Youtube comments, not the videos). Reddit simply wasn't a very enjoyable experience, even when getting thousands of likes.

levyjl1988

Banned
I stopped using Facebook, last time I used it was back in 2008. The only social media I use is Twitter and that’s only used to know when product drops are happening. Preorder things before scalper and bots get to them.

Top Bottom