• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever find yourself enjoying games that are not 10 out of 10 masterpieces?

I feel lots of great games I played got 10/10, I feel lots of bad games I played also received a 10/10. Witcher 3 and CP2077 getting 10/10s makes you consider that AC Unity and Watchdogs Legion and lots of other games should have gotten a 10/10 if technical issues and functionality are to be ignored suddenly.

We went from AC Unity getting low scores based on missing faces and people doing T poses....

To just months later fucking saying Witcher 3 is allowed to have missing faces, T poses and corrupt save files cuz fanboy logic.

This is the fallacy with such review scores as at the time, I believed those scores with AC Unity, I even avoided buying it thinking "hey, they must have seen enough issues to have to give it that score so"

Flash forward a few months into 2015 and suddenly THOSE SAME ISSUES are ignored on Witcher 3, I buy it day 1...currupt save, people flying in the air, t poses, missing sound issues etc. I'm not saying for someone to not like Witcher 3, merely the same energy many had for AC Unity having issues, should have been expressed with Witcher 3 and we avoid being shocked on how bad CP2077 came out. (maybe lol)

So going forward, I ignore scores as they have their own bias, yellow chair reasons for why they would be against 1 game doing something, yet 10/10 for unplayable games. Going back and looking at a lot of those non-10/10 games, they not only play better then some of the so called 10/10 games, they are actually functional.

re-playing Watchdogs 1 and AC Unity etc, I realize they are far better games then Witcher 3 and CP2077, with actual functional cities, actual AI, a working fucking train, hacking that really effects the city etc. Maybe hype has exaggerated those "10/10" titles and people tried to avoid talking about serious design issues, but as it looks....history might look more favorable on those titles that were solidly designed, even if they released with some tech issues.

The games I bought day 1 last gen that many hyped, also happened to be some of my biggest headaches with laundry list of issues and the games I avoided by some some score, buy used after the fact, ended up being better then those so called "10s". If AC Unity and Watchdogs are 7s to me, W3 and CP2077 easily have to be 6s and 5s or something. As in, has issues, missing functions, but fun can be had, but can never go above a 8. 8,9 and 10 imho are reserved for games with little functional issues, minor issues etc.

Because witcher 3 had Geralt who is a charisma machine. Deal with it.

Lasha

Why would I play anything scoring less than a 10/10? Life is too short to waste time playing games which have not been annointed as perfect. Personal preference distracts from my duty to clear every game which the publishers tell me is important. We live in a more elegant era and can only accept the best.

I am not a meaningless peasant! Only 10/10 game discs are allowed to grace my PS5 disc drive or my pc's ssd for Steam purchases.

...also me: I downloaded Ubisoft's Wheel of Fortune the other day and it's not that bad.

marjo

Most games with relatively low Metacritic averages are a 10 out of 10 to somebody.
A high average review score simply means that the game has broad appeal amongst many reviewers. Those are the same types of games which can feel like they've been 'designed by committee'. I often tend to prefer the more divisive ones.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I'll answer for everyone else in the world: Yes.

Hoppa

I have limited time to play games these days so I trust the people who get paid to spend all of their time playing them - especially if a high rating is the consensus. It has its bad sides though, I picked up Death Stranding because of the positive reviews and it ended up being a large pile of shit so

bender

What time is it?
Some of the greatest games I have ever played averaged a 6/7 out of ten…. Scores don’t really mean shit.

example, Persona is a shit rpg series... but it scores high.

tumblr_oayqyeAExV1v6bs4yo1_250.gif

ReBurn

Gold Member
I usually enjoy the sleepers more than the media-promoted 10/10 games. I can't think of a top-rated game I've finished in years.

AmuroChan

A 10/10 score meanings nothing to me if the game isn't fun to play. Just like with movies, how many of you here actually like the movies that win Best Picture at the Academy Awards? The last 10 Best Picture winners were: CODA, Nomadland, Parasite, Green Brook, The Shape of Water, Moonlight, Spotlight, Birdman, 12 Years a Slave, and Argo. The only movie on that list that I liked was Parasite. The other ones I either have no interest in watching or didn't like.

Shh

A 10/10 score meanings nothing to me if the game isn't fun to play. Just like with movies, how many of you here actually like the movies that win Best Picture at the Academy Awards? The last 10 Best Picture winners were: CODA, Nomadland, Parasite, Green Brook, The Shape of Water, Moonlight, Spotlight, Birdman, 12 Years a Slave, and Argo. The only movie on that list that I liked was Parasite. The other ones I either have no interest in watching or didn't like.
Same. Parasite was good. Green Book is worth a watch, too.

april6e

I feel a sense of depression when I finish a game like Horizon: ZD2 or such because I know I'm not going to play another game of that quality for another 2 years or so.

2023 being packed with more potential GOTY level games than any year in gaming history gives me some comfort though.

I enjoyed the hell out of Blue Stinger on the Dreamcast back in the day, and it was an objectively crappy game.

It was fun for what it was though.

Reactions: Isa

Neo_game

Yes. In fact I would say most people find the game is overrated. Games which have lower rating probably has more likelihood of more enjoyment and people think it is underrated. But score does not matter. Having said that many would rather buy a game which has score 8 or above and games that are popular than games with lower scores.

Last edited:

Hoddi

I straight up distrust those reviews where I see perfect 10s across the board. Those are hype ratings and not critical ratings.

Mossybrew

I don't think there's anyone that only plays "10/10" - you'd be like playing one or two games a year tops. Who does that?

Brigandier

Never ever can I play any game that doesn't have at least 95+ metacritic OP.

I passed on GOW Ragnarok because it clearly sucks it only scored a shitty 94/100 from 130 reviews, A game for the biggest piss soaked stinking peasants this year.

No lowly 94 MC or lower peasant disc enters my PlayStation 5 and or uses any of my bandwidth, Only them rare gems get my Bandwidth bitches.

Elden Ring wasn't even that good didn't even get 100 I felt like the biggest peasant buying that in store I felt like everyone was looking at me and laughing at me.... I nearly asked the store clerk to spit in my face because I deserved it for buying a game that wasn't absolutely fucking perfection.

drganon

All the time. One example is the two Caligula effect games. They both got fairly middling reviews, but I enjoyed them.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
If you play only 10/10 you will limit yourself to maximum 3 games a year. Like every hobby everyone enjoys small things also. Not every climber goes to Kilimanjaro or Everest, that doesn't mean they don't enjoy their hobby, as such are the games, not everything must be Elden Ring/ GoW small games that are fun are good also. The problem is at this forum and any other forum there are the Hardcores that dismiss everything that does not have the last piece of tech or groundbreaking graphics so you can get the impression that everyone is playing only the 10/10 but in reality everyone enjoys the small releases.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
In general there's too much emphasis placed on review scores that aren't distinct enough from one another - the idea that people will appreciate a difference between a 92 and a 94 game is nonsense, yet we, as a group, persist in discussing those numbers as if they're important, admittedly normally in the context of console wars, but it happens nonetheless.

I remember being surprised when I first played a non-9/10 game which was what I'd insist on in the past, I was surprised by how polished and enjoyable it was, despite not getting a huge selection of awards and plaudits.

Since then, I look for general positivity or negativity around a game rather than review scores. To be honest, a lot of well reviewed AAA games play it so safe that I disregard a lot of them for that reason.

Last edited:

kubricks

Nah bro, you got it all wrong.
It's all about the graphics and frame rates, 8k 144fps or bust.

Last edited:

Lasha

Never ever can I play any game that doesn't have at least 95+ metacritic OP.

I passed on GOW Ragnarok because it clearly sucks it only scored a shitty 94/100 from 130 reviews, A game for the biggest piss soaked stinking peasants this year.

No lowly 94 MC or lower peasant disc enters my PlayStation 5 and or uses any of my bandwidth, Only them rare gems get my Bandwidth bitches.

Elden Ring wasn't even that good didn't even get 100 I felt like the biggest peasant buying that in store I felt like everyone was looking at me and laughing at me.... I nearly asked the store clerk to spit in my face because I deserved it for buying a game that wasn't absolutely fucking perfection.

What's it like to have such loose standards? You don't even wait for a DF video to tell you if a game looks good before exposing your PS5's disk slot. Are you sure you actually have a PlayStation?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Tbh too many in here only thinks in MC score I'm not really surprised to see a thread like this.

I don't think I've played any 10 out of ten games in years.

I don't really know, cus I don't give a shit about MC score. I never look them up.

I do check steam often as they have paid for the game and aren't biased reviewers.

VN1X

Banned
Recently, I have been. Usually places like IGN will give something that is not God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and The Last of Us 5's and 6's. but some times I find myself also enjoying "the little guys" for lack of a better term. The games that are not ground breaking, but still decently fun to play on a rainy day. Games like Heavenly Sword, Drakengard 3, and X Blades.

If you are like this as well, what are some less than "perfect" games that you have been able to enjoy despite lack of budget and/or polish?

FqTnIFI.png

Kumomeme

why not? it is all about fun and everyone has their soft spot on certain stuff. people definitely can enjoy something even they has harsh critism over it.

those who claim cant 'enjoy' a perfect game is just a jerk pretending to be elitist.

to be fair a 10/10 masterpiece is not something that easy to come by so if someone think his taste is 10/10 all the time, then he wont be gaming much and stuck with same game for years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom