• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever find yourself enjoying games that are not 10 out of 10 masterpieces?

I play whatever looks interesting to me. Someone else telling me something is interesting doesn't make me any more interested in a game. If I don't like the look of something or something puts me off about it, I'll entirely skip a "10/10" game. On the flipside this means I've played through several "7/10" games that I had an absolute blast with. Looking up the MC after the fact I'm often surprised to see the game I personally loved is apparently considered mediocre by the gaming press.

What a stupid question. I can play a game with a rating of 10 and i can play a game with a rating of an 8 and i stil can like the game with an 8 even more. Its all personal. A rating of 10 is not the Holy grail you know.🙄

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The one that jumps out to me when I think about that is Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness. It is a very good game, but it is also quite buggy. It crashed on me dozens of times, but it was still good enough to finish..

Only Elden Ring and Inside are 10/10s to me. Most games have too many flaws to be a 10/10. But perfection isn’t the metric for enjoyment to me.

ZoukGalaxy

Why wouldn't we ? Is your life dictated by others opinions ?
confused the lion king GIF

Last edited:
Only Elden Ring and Inside are 10/10s to me. Most games have too many flaws to be a 10/10. But perfection isn’t the metric for enjoyment to me.
Even if a game is 10/10 doesn't mean it's perfect. Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarok both have issues on different levels. But as games, they're very well made for a variety of reasons.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Absolutely, I tend to enjoy 10/10 games obviously, but those which are closer to my heart are generally rated lower.

No. I worship at the altar of metacritic and rotten tomatoes, and never, ever dare rely on my decades of gaming, personal preferences and my own experience with the product itself, or previous ones from the same makers. Why would I exrecice my own judgment? If Jeremy from IGN Brazil and Marc from Gamespot decide that a title is a 10, then fuck my eyes, ears and especially my brain, were they to perceive things differently...

Even if a game is 10/10 doesn't mean it's perfect. Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarok both have issues on different levels. But as games, they're very well made for a variety of reasons.
Perfect to me*

But what you’re saying isn’t wrong. I think everyone has their own rating style in a sense. Based on taste. Elden ring and inside are both flawless exeperiences for my taste. Alien Isolation is a flawed game that I hold to high regard.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Not really no, when I play a 10/10 the other shit just feels outdated and sub par. It is what it is. I don’t need to play everything

SHA

Do you have a taste and I don't mean it sarcastically? Try being on your own instead of putting someone's words inside your head as a way to think and feel about it , use your senses , if you can't be on your own try older games and you won't be pissed , it's pretty easy to find a good old game , way easier than you think actually.

When it comes to my free time, and by extension to gaming, the only opinion that really matters to me is my own.

I enjoy observing the dialogue around gaming oftentimes, and many opinions are interesting and sometimes informative, but I could not care less if the "mainstream" consensus reflects my own views.

get

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
This is the dumbest question I’ve seen here in a while which is saying a lot

I mean, judging by review reaction threads, the only games worth even looking at are the 90+ games.

You'd think Sonic Frontiers killed a sweet little old lady going by that review thread.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I've played somewhat unknown low budget 7/10 games before that are more fun than plenty of 300 million dollar "AAAA masterpieces".

Moral of this story is that a lot of people would miss out on some of their best gaming experiences if they ruled every game out that wasn't 10/10.

-Zelda-

Banned
Don't think I've ever played a 10/10 masterpiece.
I am going to accept the L on that because when I made my topic title I had every intention of putting """10 out of 10 masterpiece""" but I did not, so people who saw the topic title prob thought I was claiming it for myself and then never bothered to read the first post in full. That and I should have also included the information that I do know a couple people in real life that live and breath by professional reviews, and that they have foolishly robbed themselves of many great gaming experiences as a result, but I can't convince them to step out of their comfort zone.

D-ray

To make it clear, I don't give two sh*ts on the "professional ratings" regarding games, so I play a game regardless of what people think about it (as long as is not unplayable).
Said so: yes! Indeed I do!

The first that comes into my mind is the legendary TMNT 2: Battle Nexus for PS2. It's a third party licensed game of the 2003 TMNT, and although 70% of the scoring and stuff say that is complete urine, I play it from time to time just because it's fun.

Chronicle

I am going to accept the L on that because when I made my topic title I had every intention of putting """10 out of 10 masterpiece""" but I did not, so people who saw the topic title prob thought I was claiming it for myself and then never bothered to read the first post in full. That and I should have also included the information that I do know a couple people in real life that live and breath by professional reviews, and that they have foolishly robbed themselves of many great gaming experiences as a result, but I can't convince them to step out of their comfort zone.
Well I play games that perk my interest. Some are 'masterpieces' as you know them I suppose. But if it looks cool I'll play it.

-Zelda-

Banned
To this day I still love Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy 7, but most fans of the FF games I run into (with small exceptions here and there) love to shit on them both.

Neither of those games did very well, but they are great to me. I occasionally get nagged by people on gamefaqs for stating that I like them.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yes, all the time. I am one of those people who buy up like 20 indie and AA games each Steam sale to try them out. Many are gems that unfortunately fly under the radar IMO.

-Zelda-

Banned
Yes, all the time. I am one of those people who buy up like 20 indie and AA games each Steam sale to try them out. Many are gems that unfortunately fly under the radar IMO.
ACG has spoken about AA games being fun and I have been trying to keep more of them on my watch list lately.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The only 9/10 and 10/10 games I can think of that I actually like are FS 2020, BotW, Forza Horizon 5, and all the Bethesda WRPGs. There are a lot more of 7/10 and 8/10 games I've played and loved.

TLZ

Banned
Of course. All the time. I never look at scores. I just watch/try them myself to see if I'm interested.

For example, I really liked and enjoyed Just Cause 3. It has a 73 metascore and 6.5 user score.

Guilty_AI

That and I should have also included the information that I do know a couple people in real life that live and breath by professional reviews, and that they have foolishly robbed themselves of many great gaming experiences as a result, but I can't convince them to step out of their comfort zone.
Its impossible. Most people - i'll call them normies - aren't really interested in good games or even quality entertainment. Normies just want to play what "everyone is playing and praising", they want to be part of the fuss, feel like they're taking part of some greater group experience. A lot of them don't even realize this.

Doesn't matter what you show them, they wont really care if nobody else around them is also playing or talking about it.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
this is like asking if you find yourself enjoying video games that require eyes to be played

no game is a 10/10 'masterpiece' because no game is flawless, you'll always have a frusturating experience one way or another with a game even if you love it to death, it is what it is

if you can't accept those flaws you picked the wrong hobby

Last edited:
It’s hilarious that you think a 10/10 masterpiece exists.

Once you wipe your mouth off from blowing your favorite dev or publisher, it’s not hard to find flaws in any game.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Seriously guys, how many of you actually enjoy these solid 7's and 8's rated games more than these mega budgeted, mega promoted games that get 9's and 10's accross the board like clockwork?
It’s not even close. I enjoy them much more on average. Just like movies, I tend to enjoy ones that are not always critically acclaimed.

EDMIX

I feel lots of great games I played got 10/10, I feel lots of bad games I played also received a 10/10. Witcher 3 and CP2077 getting 10/10s makes you consider that AC Unity and Watchdogs Legion and lots of other games should have gotten a 10/10 if technical issues and functionality are to be ignored suddenly.

We went from AC Unity getting low scores based on missing faces and people doing T poses....

To just months later fucking saying Witcher 3 is allowed to have missing faces, T poses and corrupt save files cuz fanboy logic.

This is the fallacy with such review scores as at the time, I believed those scores with AC Unity, I even avoided buying it thinking "hey, they must have seen enough issues to have to give it that score so"

Flash forward a few months into 2015 and suddenly THOSE SAME ISSUES are ignored on Witcher 3, I buy it day 1...currupt save, people flying in the air, t poses, missing sound issues etc. I'm not saying for someone to not like Witcher 3, merely the same energy many had for AC Unity having issues, should have been expressed with Witcher 3 and we avoid being shocked on how bad CP2077 came out. (maybe lol)

So going forward, I ignore scores as they have their own bias, yellow chair reasons for why they would be against 1 game doing something, yet 10/10 for unplayable games. Going back and looking at a lot of those non-10/10 games, they not only play better then some of the so called 10/10 games, they are actually functional.

re-playing Watchdogs 1 and AC Unity etc, I realize they are far better games then Witcher 3 and CP2077, with actual functional cities, actual AI, a working fucking train, hacking that really effects the city etc. Maybe hype has exaggerated those "10/10" titles and people tried to avoid talking about serious design issues, but as it looks....history might look more favorable on those titles that were solidly designed, even if they released with some tech issues.

The games I bought day 1 last gen that many hyped, also happened to be some of my biggest headaches with laundry list of issues and the games I avoided by some some score, buy used after the fact, ended up being better then those so called "10s". If AC Unity and Watchdogs are 7s to me, W3 and CP2077 easily have to be 6s and 5s or something. As in, has issues, missing functions, but fun can be had, but can never go above a 8. 8,9 and 10 imho are reserved for games with little functional issues, minor issues etc.

Vick

Gold Member
Troll Thread or not, with exceptions like some Resident Evil, some Souls, The Witcher 3, RDR2, some Uncharted, the first TLOU, most God of War, GoW 2018, Arkham Asylum and some others, many of my favorite games have have not reached a 90 Metacritic. Some are below 70 and a couple even less.

Last edited:
Top Bottom