• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever find yourself enjoying games that are not 10 out of 10 masterpieces?

-Zelda-

Banned
Recently, I have been. Usually places like IGN will give something that is not God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and The Last of Us 5's and 6's. but some times I find myself also enjoying "the little guys" for lack of a better term. The games that are not ground breaking, but still decently fun to play on a rainy day. Games like Heavenly Sword, Drakengard 3, and X Blades.

If you are like this as well, what are some less than "perfect" games that you have been able to enjoy despite lack of budget and/or polish?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally don’t care what games considered “10 out of 10 masterpieces” I play what I like no matter the score, I played and even Platinumed Drakengard 3, same with games like Nier and God Hand.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I enjoy "the little guys" much more than whatever AAA, heavy marketed games you might have on your mind.

Give me Dragon's Dogma, the Niers, any Yakuza, comfy JRPGs like Crystal Project or cool as hell indie games like Prodeus, RimWorld or Factorio and I'll gladly play those before any other generic third person cinematic and story focused AAA garbage with crafting, climbing and a bow which has been done a hundred times already.

Hell, even some DOOM wads have more effort, love and soul put into them than those so called 10/10 masterpieces.

Stuart360

Seriously guys, how many of you actually enjoy these solid 7's and 8's rated games more than these mega budgeted, mega promoted games that get 9's and 10's accross the board like clockwork?

-Zelda-

Banned
I wanna believe that OP is trolling, but on this board you never know.
Why does it have to be that I am trolling? You do not know me and I have given no indication anywhere that this is what I want. If you do not like the topic, why not just ignore it? What is your criteria for trolling since you want to derail the thread?

Mr Hyde

Literally 98% of all games are not 10/10 masterpieces (that in of itself is based on very subjective opinions). You would limit yourself to the point there is no meaning to have gaming as a hobby. I've enjoyed far more 6's and 7's than I have with 10's. I suggest everyone should too.

Stuart360

Why does it have to be that I am trolling? You do not know me and I have given no indication anywhere that this is what I want. If you do not like the topic, why not just ignore it? What is your criteria for trolling since you want to derail the thread?
You're asking gamers on a enthusiast gaming forum if they can enjoy games that get lower than 10/10.

I mean you may not be trolling but you're being incredibly shallow.

Sojiro

Literally 98% of all games are not 10/10 masterpieces (that in of itself is based on very subjective opinions). You would limit yourself to the point there is no meaning to have gaming as a hobby. I've enjoyed far more 6's and 7's than I have with 10's. I suggest everyone should too.
Exactly this. I can not imagine being in this hobby and only playing the handful of games that get a 10 every 5 ish years.

Like others have said, I have found more enjoyment in games rated 8 or 7s than I have in ones that are 10, especially since I am a JRPG fan, and that 7-8 range is where a lot of my games end up falling.

Honestly the best thing to do when it comes to reviews, is find a reviewer that has similar taste in games to you, ignore the number, and actually read what they say about a game to determine if it's something you would like.

Last edited:

Markio128

To be fair, most games get 5’s, 6‘s or 7’s by reviewers, even those that finish 80+ on Metacritic. I’m not sure what else there is to say really.

Robb

Gold Member
Sure, out of the games I play I think only 5% or less consist of “10/10 masterpiece” games.

GametimeUK

No, mate. I can only enjoy games that generally score enough 10's to hold 90+ on metacritic. They're the only games worth playing. Why would I play anything that scores in the 80's? If the games were any good they would have good scores. I don't get why people waste time on that shovelware stuff.

PhaseJump

Banned
No. No enjoyment allowed. If it's not 10/10, then it is pure shit that deserves failure, bankruptcy for the publisher, and joblessness for the developers. Disagree and you need Japanese cultural re-education by professional weeaboos in a gulag anime high school setting. Welcome to Gameaqs NeoGAF. Be sure to smash that hate button, share and subscribe to nobody entertaining so you get greater enjoyment out of our 10/10 sanctioned product.

Winners do use drugs. - Billy Bullshit Sessions, Director. FBI

dprk-north-korea.gif

samoilaaa

to be honest lately ive enjoyed games that are considered average far more than AAA cinematic 10/10 games , examples of games would be

Inside
Ruiner
the ascent
Creaks
fist forged in shadow

Reactions: Fuz

YukiOnna

Most of the time, the more unpopular games are better than those big blockbusters for me and there are major titles I do enjoy. Especially since they tend to remember they are a video game (this is not an interactive movie jab or anything, just from story to design it's a video game ass video game).

If you are like this as well, what are some less than "perfect" games that you have been able to enjoy despite lack of budget and/or polish?
More often than not they have more personality than the AAA experiences, so yeah.

As long as they don't suck, they might be great, specially if you go in with no expectations, which mild reviews and medium production values/sale price assure that's the case.

Last edited:
Believe me, you want people to think you're trolling when asking a question like that. The alternative is much less flattering. Either way, I think I've got my answer.

bender

What time is it?
Usually places like IGN will give something that is not God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and The Last of Us 5's and 6's. but some times I find myself also enjoying "the little guys" for lack of a better term.

For fun, I went to IGN and looked up every game review they've done since October:

Reviews:
Vamprie Survivors - 8
Among Us VR - 8
Sonic Frontiers - 7
Marvel Snap - 8
The Entropy Centre - 7
The Winter's Expansion - 6
Re:Verse - 5
God of War Ragnorok - 10
WRC Generations - 8
Modern Warfare 2 Multi - 8
Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord - 6
The Valiant - 6
Star Ocean - The Divine Force - 7
Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed - 6
Bayonetta 3 - 9
Victoria - 8
Modern Warfare 2 Single - 6
NHL 23 - 8
New Tales From the Boarderlands - 7
Gotham Knights - 5
Dragon Ball: The Breakers - 5
The Last Hero of Nostalgia - 7
Plague Tale Requiem - 8
Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope - 9
PGA Tour 2K3 - 6
Scorn - 7
Moonbreakers - 7
Lego Bricktales - 7
Dakar Desert Rally - 5
Slime Rancher 2 - 7
Overwatch 2 - 8
Valkyrie Elysium - 6
Tinykin - 8

Score breakdown:

10 - x1
9 - x2
8 - x10
7 - x9
6 - x7
5 - x4

ZoolNL

I definitely enjoy playing not well known games doing something different or new, or just being short and fun.

Top Bottom