• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you enjoy watching others play games?

Do you enjoy watching people play video games?

• Total voters

mortal

Gold Member
Every so often, sure.

Whenever I'm not doing much gaming for a period of time I sometimes watch a couple people, who's taste in games I appreciate, play a game I'm interested in.

Speed runs or challenge runs are also interesting to watch.

Last edited:

Jeeves

I enjoy sitting in the same room as a friend who's playing and cracking jokes.

Sometimes I might watch videos of Smash Bros. tourney play. I used to watch a lot of Retsupurae which was basically just MST3K but with video games.

Streamers, though? Not really my thing. Sometimes I might fire up Twitch if I'm really bored but it never sticks.

Zannegan

Watching a friend play something in person is fine. Watching a stranger on the internet play through something as a form of entertainment I just don't get. The rise of Twitch was my first big "old man yells at cloud" moment.

Last edited:

John Day

I thought i could, i gave it a try for a while on twitch. I enjoyed it more in multiplayer games. But single player, no way.

this is actually a refreshing topic. could it be one that both Microsoft and Sony fans agree on? also, has anybody taken the opportunity to mention the unbelievably incredible consumer entertainment value of MICROSOFT GAME PASS??!?

Bodom78

I enjoy speedruns and competitive fighters. Technical vids like DMC combo demos are cool too.

The rest are meh.

tillbot8

Banned
Yes I go to sleep sometimes watching marathons from Bawkasoup, Many a true nerd, mitten squad etc on my tablet. Very relaxing to watch rather then just scrolling though facebook etc

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I didn't at first.

Then I found a person that has a likable personality, Coryxkenshin is hilarious IMO. Tries very hard not to curse, the rare occasions get bleeped.

Like someone said, it reminds me of the arcade. Or Dave n Busters. I watch ppl play there all the time when I do.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Yes. But really I just watch the few streamers I watch for their personality. Not so much the game they're playing, or that they're playing games. Almost just kind of feels like a podcast for me at that point.

Dark Star

I enjoy watching dark souls and bloodborne speed runs. Especially guys like HeyZeusHeresToast on YouTube and Twitch.

I also find gameplay guides on YouTube to be helpful when I’m stuck in a game.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Never watch people online. I do enjoy my watching my son play new games. Sometimes I’ll download games from gamepass and recommend them to him.

I don't like to watch other people as I hate the talking but I remember when the last of us 2 got leaked and it was spoiled for me with the major parts. I ended up going to youtube and watched all the cutscenes someone put up with some gameplay mixed in. It was like 13 hours but was good. no talking and saved me 60 bucks and I didn't think it was amazing story wise anyways so Im glad I did it that way

G-Bus

Banned
I like AGDQ. Sometimes I'll go on Twitch to look up a game I might be interested in playing.

Outside of that, no. Don't find it entertaining.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I put no, because I don't watch streaming, but I do sometimes listen to it. If there's a game I'm somewhat interested in, I may put on a stream and glance at it occasionally to get a sense of what they like/dislike about it. As far as really watching streamers though, no I don't. One of myy coworkers watches game streams every evening and I do not understand it, but I guess I don't need to. She probably wouldn't understand why I listen to the music I do.

Last edited:
I put no, because I don't watch streaming, but I do sometimes listen to it. If there's a game I'm somewhat interested in, I may put on a stream and glance at it occasionally to get a sense of what they like/dislike about it. As far as really watching streamers though, no I don't. My coworker watches game streams every evening and I do not understand it, but I guess I don't need to.

BigBooper? More like BigBOOMER LOL got yo ass

Keihart

I do, but i never watch walkthroughs, what's the point in that? I watch people play them for the entertainment that can come from their reactions.

badblue

It really depends on the game and how interested I am in playing it myself. There are lots of games I'm interested in but know I'll never play myself (like scary games), so I'll watch those.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
No. I find the idea of watching Twitch streamers playing video games utterly preposterous, and the only thing more ridiculous than doing it, is giving them actual, real money to do it. It is the grotesque begging/handout culture of Youtube/Patreon on steroids, aimed at children who are too dumb to know any different.

Trimesh

Banned
I generally find watching other people play games about as interesting as watching paint dry - having said that, I do find glitch-based speedruns highly amusing at times.

VulcanRaven

Yes. I don't watch streams but I like watching blind Let's Plays of games that I have played. I have watched many Metal Gear and The Last of Us Let's Plays. Its fun to see someone playing them for the first time.

Last edited:

molly14

Ok for about 5 minutes then it gets fucking boring watching someone else play a game and the crap they talk about.How some people can watch others play for hours at a time is beyond me..

Why would not playing a game yourself be more enjoyable?

Paasei

Only Esports back in the day with promod. But that is mostly because I was part of that myself and wanting to analyze strategies of our rivals.

Maybe speedrun once in a while.

Last edited:

paparazzo

I was in the never camp until an Oblivion YT rec popped up, and I’ve watched the channel’s Bethesda content ever since - Wilburgur. By an Australian guy who mocks the whole thing as he goes, with some occasional mods that add to the experience. Haven’t come across anything comparable since, though I find a lot of gaming Youtubers kind of annoying. Maybe it’s just the perfect mix of Bethesda jank and foreign accent/vocabulary that does it for me lol.

Last edited:
No, not really. I'm fine with watching a bit of gameplay when the game is not released yet or maybe gameplay in the review but watching more then 15 minutes of someone playing something, well I just can't. I don't find it interesting, I'd rather play it myself.

greencoder

I secretly watched that kind of videos when I was 14-18 years old because my parents forbade me to play video-games. And I enjoyed watching others play because it made me feel connected to the industry. But not now, since I can play myself.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Only very skilled players. And for shooters, they have to be playing fast and without any aim assist. xP

Last edited:
I don’t and I’m using this topic as an excuse to rant - my nephew isn’t allowed to play video games as his dad thinks it stops kids from being interested in sports. Meanwhile my nephew is allowed to watch people play minecraft etc for hours on end. I don’t get the world these days.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Not really. Epicnamebro with his Dark Souls play through was good because he talked about the background and lore.

I will watch my son play sometimes, but I don’t watche people in twitch or YouTube.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I never liked it, still don't, but recently I've been watching NES and SNES games I've never played or never got to finish back in the day.

There's this particular guy by the name Arcus on youtube. He's pretty calm and peaceful. Relaxing to watch. I don't like constant noise and loudness. Just shut up and play.

I am so mad about this guys ability in Ninja Giaden. Who does he think he is.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Fuck yeah I do. Although I'm very critical so so better be playing at least better then me or have a nice personality/screen presence/atmosphere going on. Going on the latter that leaves 0.8% for me to watch; and that's fine. Even then it's pretty uncommon to watch gaming stuff unless I want to check out some new/old game I have my eyes on or some pro help. I really dont get this pretty common consensus regarding not wanting to watch because instead I could play.. I mean really? Y'all dont watch sports you yourself practice or cooking stuff? Cant wrap my head around that.

Fuck no, never. If it was up to me, I would take all the braindead audience from these streamers and they would starve to death.

I can do exactly the same as what he/she is doing right now, why would I watch some other fool? And if I’m stuck somewhere, I always go for textual guide if possible.

And it’s not like watching any other sport. I can’t play on Santiago Bernabeu in front of 80K people or play in Staples Center with most athletic people alive. And if you wanna play football with your buddies, it takes certain effort to gather and organize everything. But with video game, I can literally pick up a controller and do exactly what that guy is doing and probably better.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

Nope, if im interested in a game, i play it myself rather than go look for a video of someone playing. Going to a friend's house and watching them play is different, because it's their house and they can do whatever they want.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I used to enjoy speedruns, but now I tend to doze off after a while. I'll still watch some marathons, but only if it's games I know. Watching people play games I don't know is terribly boring.

My friends enjoy Smash super players videos, but I can only stand one or two at a time.

It's fine if a friend is playing something and explains stuff to me.

Streaming? Absolutely not. I'm not one to sit and passively watch videos for a long time anyway, imagine watching someone fumbling for hours with a game they've just started for the first time. It's not a sports match.

ZoukGalaxy

No

OR only with no commentary because 99,99% streamers talks are pure shitness. And exclusively SP games I already finished.
And the worst: no game sound or very low with mic wide open.

You should add this to the poll.

Last edited:
Top Bottom