• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider the xbox 360, ps3, and wii to be retro?

Umbasaborne

Banned
I fee like because those consoles were in the market for so long, its tough to consider them retro by todays standards.

Back then however, the snes was about the same age that the xbox 360 is now. And that was definitely considered retro by most of the community in 2005.

I dont think there is a clear cut answer. Personally, i think the pre kinect era of the xbox 360 can be appreciated as retro, especially the launch games from 05/06. Stuff like need for speed most wanted (06), saints row, kameo and perfect dark zero definitely feel of their time much in the same way that sonic, chrono trigger, or donkey kong country felt of their time.

I would consider games like heavenly sword, motorstorm 1, uncharted, wii sports, and mario galaxy retro as well. But games like the last of us, or uncharted 3, or halo 4/reach still feel modern enough to hang with some of todays best titles.

TLDR: I think that 2005-2010 of the ps360/wii era can be considered retro. Everything after still feels to modern to be given that title

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I consider 2000-2009 to be retro.
Yeah i feel the same. I think thats a good cut off point. Its hard to label those consoles as retro because they persisted for so long, but there are definitely games from those early years of their life cycles that don’t feel modern

clem84

Gold Member
I guess we all have our own definitions of what a retro console is. The replies prove this.

Personally, if it is still possible to purchase new games, retail physical or digital games through the console's storefront, then I consider that console still active and therefore not retro.

Wii is no longer supported. It's retro. PS3 still has an active storefront. It's still very much supported and still a current console, simply less powerful than its bigger brothers.

That would be my definition.

MurfHey

I do. Definitely.

... I've recently seen an og 60gb ps3 in a second hand store here, with 4 usb ports on the front, and Jesus Christ do i wish i had the justification to buy it and use it as a PS2 emulator thing
The exact reason I still have my launch ps3.

I think everybody has another definiton of it. To me retro is up to mid 90s. Also Sony + Nintendo are porting/remaking like crazy and Microsoft has quite some BC games.

Hydroxy

Not yet. Maybe after PS6 comes out. PS3 and 360 still have active online Multiplayer so not yet retro.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Not to me. Sixth gen and older is retro. 7th gen games still look and play great on PC or BC enhanced. Also I feel that in 7th gen control schemes and PC ports started to get a lot better, making games more accesible.

I hate playing PC ports of sixth gen games... Things like x input have been a godsend for PC gaming.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. I don't consider anything after the 16-bit era to be retro. Everything after that feels "modern" to me.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Technically it's retro, but in my head I don't think so.

Modern era games are better looking, but the rest of the system seems about the same to me. Also, the jump in visuals so far between Series X/PS5 vs. 360/PS3 isnt that bit whereas retro systems games can look archaic. Back then even just bumping up one generation was a huge gain in qualty.

Last edited:

Gloomnivore

I don’t. A straight Wii port on Switch like Super Mario Galaxy doesn’t feel like a retro experience.

Those N64 games will, though. Retro stopped when 3D games started to age as well as 2D ones.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yes, they're most definitely retro. Pretty sure my phone is more powerful than all of them at this point, and the games on those platforms largely had design concepts that certainly wouldn't fly today.

I mean, they all came out a long ass time ago. Some people here probably have a kid older than those consoles.

junguler

Banned
for me something being retro is about the feeling it invokes in you, the 7th gen is definitely not a retro gen yet imo. it has to do with your age too, i'm 31 so i have experienced more generations than someone who was born in the 2000s for example ...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wii was retro when it came out, so in that case yeah.

X360/PS3 to be retro, you would have to be really young person to think that.

nkarafo

Νο.

What i consider Retro is the era where 3D graphics weren't mature enough and anything before that. So that's the PS1/SAT/N64 generation and before.

After the PS2, 3D graphics stopped looking like a bunch of triangles put together to make blocky shapes. There are PS2 games that still look pretty decent even for today's standards. The hardware is still capable enough that should allow you to make a 3D game today, without having to rely too much on the player's imagination to picture stuff as intended.

Thus, anything from the PS2 forward i consider modern. With the Dreamcast being the bridge between retro and modern.

Last edited:

stranno

Well, Wii was nothing more than a Gamecube with a more friendly memory layout. So I can see it as a retro console.

Although the same can be said about Wii U, except the graphical subsystem by AMD (GX2), the rest is a multi-core Wii/Gamecube.

nkarafo

Personally, if it is still possible to purchase new games, retail physical or digital games through the console's storefront, then I consider that console still active and therefore not retro.
This isn't a very good metric. There are still new games produced for older consoles like the Genesis/Mega Drive, Dreamcast and the Neo-Geo, from Indy developers that sell them officially (not just homebrew, fanmade games).

Last edited:

FStubbs

No. The games in that generation aren't significantly different from today's games for me to consider them retro.

Demons Soul was a launch PS5 game but also a PS3 game for example.

ZywyPL

Banned
Too early IMO, they're the first HD consoles, first with online, first with downloadable content etc., what we have now is the legacy, or should I say extension of that generation.

No, there's not a big game design difference between those and today's games. PS1 era and earlier is retro to me. PS2 is debatable but I'm leaning toward not retro.

Top Bottom