• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider Final Fantay XVI a new IP?

NahaNago

No, but this does feel like the least final fantasy game for me. It kind of comes off like they pretty much created a game of thrones game off a final fantasy 14 engine.

I also am just not feeling this game like at all.

I get that they are going for a more pre-ff7 style which I'm okay with I just wish that this game gave me some sense of wow when I see this world.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Season 4 Episode 3 GIF by The Office

NahaNago

I must consider the game a new thing to remain postitive about it if we consider that square hasn't made a decent single player ff game in the past 23 years.
10 and 12 were at least decent and 10 was memorable. I do wonder why they dramatically changed the way they created the world in ff10.

Last edited:

Brock2621

Haven’t people been debating for years what makes a final fantasy game a final fantasy game? Heck even the directors of each game have differing opinions on what the soul or the franchise is.

I suppose it evolves but I think this will perfectly fit into the “Final Fantasy” zeitgeist among fans

Only if you don't understand what Intellectual Property actually means.

Its final fantasy through and through from the character design to the moogles. The entire story revolves around the series iconic summons ffs.

It may have changed genre by going full action but the IP is Final Fantasy, this is Final Fantasy 16.

EDMIX

Nope same game director and writer
? Many FF titles have the same director and writer that go from game to game though
No one here has yet to name an example of a game sequel that completely changes the story, characters, gameplay, and devs attached to it.
That also isn't true as I named Assassins Creed.

They've had different stories, settings, characters, gameplay and several different teams cycle thru AC

So what FF is doing has been done by a few series and for the most part we don't see it as a "new IP" when they go from 1 Dragon quest to the next or one Tales to the next or 1 AC to the next or 1 Persona to the next, we hardly call that a new IP.

So we wouldn't call an episode of Twilight Zone a new show, I see no reason to call FFXVI a new IP. Legally, how that term is used is pretty solid and exact lol There isn't a lot of wiggle room for a reason. Thats like saying if I "consider Final Fantasy owned by Square" lol It factually is that.... so it might sound odd but, FF isn't a new IP cause its called Final Fantasy...as in, its an established IP, its the 16th of a property and the question being asked has an objective legal answer.

So maybe TheThreadsThatBindUs TheThreadsThatBindUs is correct and this should have been a thread about if we feel it SHOULD HAVE been a new IP or something.

I'd say no in that respect lol, but with this...legally its no, factually its no, objectively its no.

Lol, this is bait, but hey, why not?

Medieval fantasy
Chocobos and Moogles (Kupo!)
Summons with all the classic ones like Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, etc.
Storyline that revolves around Crystals
Marlboros and other classic FF enemies
New cast of characters and story (every mainline FF does this)

Why do you get the idea that this could be a new IP? Only because the gameplay is more experimental than usual?

Agreed and that is how FF has been thru its history. This is what most FF titles do.

They've had different stories, settings, characters, gameplay and several different teams cycle thru AC

No, it still follows the same story of the templars and basic idea of someone from the future tapping into the past and all that stuff. It’s also pretty much the same gameplay from game to game with the big change up being origins and now its the same gameplay structure of those games.

Overall assassins creed is probably the most referenced game in all AAA for its gameplay systems, i wouldn’t say they change anything that drastically from game to game at all, even the opposite.

Last edited:

Ristifer

It's a question worth discussing. Technically no of course, but there have been new IP that share more mechanics with existing IP from the same company than Final Fantasy from one installment to another. Like Bethesda games, you just know exactly what you're gonna get. Outside the first few, Final Fantasy games cover such a diverse range of settings, across the spectrum of time, past, future, present, with mechanics that often change drastically from game to game, sometimes it does feel like you're hoping into a new IP. So by dictionary definitions, it's not, but by what new IP often means in practice, you might be able to argue that.
Argue what? That games can change in a series? Why is Bethesda even mentioned? Because they use the same engine for a lot of new IPs? They’re still new IPs, whether you want to admit that or not.

Strange argument. An IP can have several different kinds of games. Mechanics that change from game to game signify a change in the evolution of an IP. That’s really all there is to it.

Thabass

All FFs are different from the last one, FF16 is nothing new in this respect.

Pretty much this. Final Fantasy games have always "evolved" or changed. It went from a completely turned based, to open world, to MMO, and now it's a hack and slash-like action RPG. All Final Fantasy titles are not alike. I'd say the ones that are the most similar to each other are FFIII and FFV.

Last edited:

EDMIX

No, it still follows the same story of the templars and basic idea of someone from the future tapping into the past and all that stuff.

The story of AC rpg titles loosely follows that like the FF series follows the crystals stuff or having chocobos or moogles. It is a general idea.

Regardless, your point is still nonsensical. Trying to cherry pick AC while avoiding other titles like Tales or Persona or Dragon Quest doesn't help your point. I simply don't see enough here to argue FF is a new IP or for anyone to consider it one anymore then I would AC or Persona or something EVEN IF those titles literally didn't have links to other titles in the series.

So references are in Persona to other characters, thats not why we consider it 1 IP....

References are made in AC to past characters, that isn't why we consider it 1 IP....

Even Zelda has loose references to some titles in the past, even with them very much saying its a different Link, we still consider it 1 IP, we don't start calling BOTW a new IP.

MOST of the Tales games have little to zero connection from 1 title to the next outside of the direct sequel stuff, we don't consider each game a new IP.

We have more then enough within gaming to see how we've view Final Fantasy, we have more outside of gaming to support that idea.

Goose Bumps, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, Dark Mirror, Tales From The Crypt, American Horror story etc We all understand those episodes or season to see is not a "new IP", we can do the same with Final Fantasy.

The story of AC rpg titles loosely follows that like the FF series follows the crystals stuff or having chocobos or moogles. It is a general idea.

Regardless, your point is still nonsensical. Trying to cherry pick AC while avoiding other titles like Tales or Persona or Dragon Quest doesn't help your point. I simply don't see enough here to argue FF is a new IP or for anyone to consider it one anymore then I would AC or Persona or something EVEN IF those titles literally didn't have links to other titles in the series.

So references are in Persona to other characters, thats not why we consider it 1 IP....

References are made in AC to past characters, that isn't why we consider it 1 IP....

Even Zelda has loose references to some titles in the past, even with them very much saying its a different Link, we still consider it 1 IP, we don't start calling BOTW a new IP.

MOST of the Tales games have little to zero connection from 1 title to the next outside of the direct sequel stuff, we don't consider each game a new IP.

We have more then enough within gaming to see how we've view Final Fantasy, we have more outside of gaming to support that idea.

Goose Bumps, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, Dark Mirror, Tales From The Crypt, American Horror story etc We all understand those episodes or season to see is not a "new IP", we can do the same with Final Fantasy.

Final Fantasy entry to entry is still vastly different than any of those games are from entry to entry, thats kind of the point. People who love Tales games will most likely always like the next one, same with AC.

Final Fantasy is not really like that, you can love 6 out of 16 final fantasy games and consider yourself a fan of the series.

EDMIX

People who love Tales games will most likely always like the next one, same with AC.

Final Fantasy is not really like that

yea, that is completely untrue... Subjectivity and the ability for someone to like or dislike something exist regardless of what series we are talking about.

So this idea that any one fanbase will "most likely always like" is completely false. AC fans will always have their favorites and will say what they like or dislike, Tales fans will have their favs and dislikes, same with Persona and yes, Final Fantasy.
you can love 6 out of 16 final fantasy games and consider yourself a fan of the series

Sir, you fucking love a handful of Tales games or AC titles and still consider yourself a fan of the series.

You've stated nothing here that is exclusive to FF even remotely.

This idea exist on almost any series. Someone can like Uncharted 2 more then 1 and still "consider yourself a fan of the series" someone can like Mass Effect 1 more then 3 and consider themselves a fan of the series.

yea, that is completely untrue... Subjectivity and the ability for someone to like or dislike something exist regardless of what series we are talking about.

So this idea that any one fanbase will "most likely always like" is completely false. AC fans will always have their favorites and will say what they like or dislike, Tales fans will have their favs and dislikes, same with Persona and yes, Final Fantasy.

Sir, you fucking love a handful of Tales games or AC titles and still consider yourself a fan of the series.

You've stated nothing here that is exclusive to FF even remotely.

This idea exist on almost any series. Someone can like Uncharted 2 more then 1 and still "consider yourself a fan of the series" someone can like Mass Effect 1 more then 3 and consider themselves a fan of the series.

Yeah, i just dont think someone that loved uncharted 2 would hate uncharted 3 and vice versa.

Final fantasy games these days are just completely different games with their own fanbases

Akuza89

I don't consider it to be a new IP as it's in the title.

Now if you called it something else, then final fantasy, like strangers of paradise (final fantasy origins) that would be a new IP, within that franchise.

It's not a new IP as it's been added to this numerical list, although at this point it's getting up there... so maybe giving a secondary title would be a good idea in general these days...

EDMIX

Yeah, i just dont think someone that loved uncharted 2 would hate uncharted 3 and vice versa.

You don't think someone would have a different opinion from 1 game to the next regarding Uncharted?

Wow

I don't know what to say Spinal.

This doesn't make sense as you are basically assuming all Uncharted fans like ALL GAMES in the series despite lots of evidence showing otherwise.

I'm just giving my view here, but I'm sure many might hold this view.

Uncharted 2
Uncharted 1.
Uncharted 4
Uncharted 3

That is how a lot of people view the series and many might disagree with me, but that further proves my point btw, they will have their own views on titles they liked and disliked thru that series.

So I like 1, I LOVED 2, I hated 3, I liked 4.

but I'm sure that is how lots of peoples see lots of series. I've yet to play any fucking series where I just 100% liked EVERY SINGLE LAST ENTRY, let alone assume "most likely always like" nah, that isn't even remotely true as using this logic, every sequel would sell better then the last game by default or something lol

So people liking or disliking a game in a series is not exclusive to Final Fantasy. You can literally go in any AC thread and see how fans might like Origin better or Valhalla better or Unity or 2 or Revelation or Black Flag etc.

Yet that isn't any different then those that like Yakuza Zero more then 3 or Like A Dragon more then Yakuza 4 or someone liking Persona 5 more then 3.

This is a deeply moot point. Final Fantasy has fans that like different ones sure, but that idea is not exclusive to that series, every series will have fans that have some favorites or ones they hate or something.

Top Bottom