• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you care about real time ray tracing?

At this point in time, is real time raytracing worthwhile?

• Total voters

Type_Raver

Absolutely yes!

We are still in early stages where its ability to be realised is hamstrung by the hardware available, even the 3090.

Once we get to a point where complex AAA games can be fully path traced, we won't look back, nor will the developers.

I'm glad though, we have it and it works albeit at a cost in some performance. However, like RT, image reconstruction will be the next big major thing which will redeem the performance impact and will be a standard going forward.

I like progress and I like eye candy when it comes to visuals so yes. As long as devs don't bankrupt the overall visual fidelity of a game for a purity contest I'm on board.

Last edited:
Is it nice? Yes.
Is it worth the hit on processing? No.

I don't know about most people but it feels like game design is still caught in the 360 era... Hear me out.

• Get mission.
  • Go to location.
  • Mission goes to hell.
  • Escape/ kill the authorities.
  • Cut scene.
  • Repeat.
I want to see more dynamic mission structures. I want to be able to use my cognitive abilities to approach missions in natural way without the outcome being set in stone i.e mission goes to shit and now I have to escape/ defeat the ‘bad guys’.

I’d prefer the power of these new machines birth a new era in game design and game mechanics.

How many of us have walked into a room, and by the sheer layout of objects in the room can tell they are there as cover for the impending shoot out?

I roll my eyes every time.

Kylars Bluff

Neo Member
Is it nice? Yes.

I don't know about most people but it feels like game design is still caught in the 360 era... Hear me out.

• Get mission.
  • Go to location.
  • Mission goes to hell.
  • Cut scene.
  • Repeat.
I want to see more dynamic mission structures. I want to be able to use my cognitive abilities to approach missions in natural way without the outcome being set in stone i.e mission goes to shit and now I have to escape/ defeat the ‘bad guys’.

I’d prefer the power of these new machines birth a new era in game design and game mechanics.

How many of us have walked into a room, and by the sheer layout of objects in the room can tell they are there as cover for the impending shoot out?

Bethesda sz hi

Gamers have been wanting "better lighting" for many years. Well, this is it. This is what next-gen lighting is all about.

Given time, real-time raytracing will only get better and better while also getting less computationally expensive. Even on consoles, you just wait, developers will discover ways to deliver better raytracing than what we see today on PC, more efficiently with new and better methods.

And it will be, 5 years tops, until Raytracing on PC just becomes like any other effect you turn on and you lose a few fps - no big deal.

Duallusion

I don't mind RT as an option on next-gen consoles but I don't want devs to make that choice for me at the expense of fps/resolution or other graphical candy. Every next-gen console game should have at least two graphics modes.

Gravemind

Absolutely.

Fake ass lighting and shading is a giant turn off for me when playing a game. Of course graphics dont trump gameplay but I think a big investment in lighting and shading support is a worthwhile commitment.

Neo_game

RT can make a big impact even on old games so it is definitely impressive but I am not sure it is worth it and consoles are going to be very limited. May be at 1080P on consoles like Microsoft have show with the Minecraft RTdemo on SX ? Unreal5 demo I don't think had RT. Inspite of that it has impressive detail and excellent lighting.

GAMETA

Banned
If it's used to produce amazing and realistic lighting (as it should), then yes, I care about it.

If it's used for reflections only, then it's a waste of resources and hardware.

The thing about RT is that, theoretically, it's makes it easier to produce great lighting without spending lots of time and resources on faking it (like say TLOUS 2 does).
RT then, would make photorealism and animation like results a lot more accessible for general and small developers, making a huge leap in graphics possible for "everyone".

But that's theoretically... so far we've only seen exagerated reflections for the most part... let's see how it develops in the comming years :)

longdi

Banned
Look at Nvidia ampere Marbles demo.
That kind of lighting i hope can be achieved by the midgen Pro consoles down the road

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is it nice? Yes.

• Get mission.
  • Go to location.
  • Mission goes to hell.
  • Cut scene.
  • Repeat.

I think gaming has got to a point (probably plateaued since the 2000s) where what you said is basically what you're going to get. The majority of improvements will be graphics.

I'd say anything to do with holistic game changing improvements these have been non-existent for the most part. Ya, you got some awesome BF destruction from Frostbite which I will agree on, but mostly I say these have barely improved. And here I thought all the devs that screamed "we don't have the computing power to do awesome AI and physics" would have enough by now to do shit. If RT can cripple PCs and consoles, it looks like enough power to do other improvements too if you want to bother attempting it.

- Physics
- AI
- Animations (which also ties into physics and how they move in relation to the ground, stairs, and gameplay etc... Look how dumb it looks when someone is going up or down the stairs. There might as well not even be steps and just be a magic invisible slanted slope)
- Most games even still have shitty lip syncing audio. That 10 year old game LA Noire might have had the best lip syncing ever and that ran on 360/PS3

Last edited:

dottme

I feel it’s not ready and the hardware isn’t powerful enough. It might be good enough for the following gen or we might find something better.

sertopico

I care about it, and it is totally worth it when well implemented. It's the next big step in real time graphics rendering. I do hope however that it'll become an open standard as soon as possible, this will probably happen when the ps5/xboxsx will be out, as well as the new amd cards for pc. Next year will be most likely the year in which this tech will be accessible to a wider number of people. The 2xxx series was an expensive sneak peek into the tech I would say.

Last edited:

Hakiroto

Sure, I think it's great. I wasn't convinced from screenshots originally but after getting a 2080 Super and playing Control I saw the potential. It's really expensive, sure, but luckily DLSS 2.0 can help with that.

JimboJones

It's kind of a weird question to ask, did we care about programmable shaders, bumpmapping, furshading, sub surface scattering, celshading, colored lighting, ambient occlusion etc when they where new?

GymWolf

In this thread are lots of people who are not devs. RT frees up game devs to spend less time on lighting and more time on more interesting parts of the game (detailed worlds). RT Global Illumination is pretty much set and forget because it functions like light does in the real world (which is why it is so taxing on hardware). This method is infinitely better than the trillions of hours level designers spent tweaking the ever living shit out of old school gi + baking. How yall don't get that is hilarious. This is supposed to be a fucking enthusiast gaming forum...learn the craft.

I mean, has anyone ever sat there for hours waiting for their level to bake only to find out an actor/Mesh was facing the wrong direction? Whelp better fire up that shit up again!

:messenger_hushed:
Until we have enough power to make only raytraced games, devs have to make both old school and rtx stuff, so for now, the only thing that make devs work more is in fact the rtx implementation, so your argument is kinda invalid for now.

They literally have to do more work for something that few people on pc can enjoy, and they have to make all the rasterized stuff anyway because it's how 95% of people actually play their games.

Rtx is gonna help devs when they are gonna work only on rtx for their games, and we are very far from that day.

GymWolf

YES, in 5 years we're going to look back at games without it and realize how dated and poor they looked. Its a game changer, one I dont think people will appreciate until they look back after it becomes super common.
More like 10 years or more before having fully raytraced games and hardware powerfull enough to run this stuff.
In 5 years you still have majority of people with shitty console and non-rtx gpus on pc.

Last edited:

scalman

yh i do care that on pc it will be an option to turn it off and get more fps, similar to lower shadows and such, still having all textures and details maxed. on consoles though we will all enjoy that RT stuff, but if i wouldnt know where to look for those differences i wouldnt knew rly or care.

ripeavocado

Banned
Everyone should care because it's going to be the biggest graphical leap since 3D.

It's not going to happen this generation though.

Razvedka

Banned
I don't have a good idea of what people think about hardware accelerated real time ray tracing. Sony, Microsoft and nVidia are marketing the hell out of it, but I don't think I've read many positive impressions of it on forums.

To me it seems like an obvious waste of resources. You'd still be able to have very good looking reflections and lighting/shadows without it and imho it's "good enough" quality for now in the big picture. When I look at "RTX on" screenshot galleries, it very quickly resorts to showing scenes with large puddles and it reminds me how situational and how marginal the benefit is.

Is this an artifact of how cynical this field has become? Or maybe this is a necessary stepping stone toward something that'll become worthwhile in the future. But then that raises new questions: should we dedicate silicon, and how much, for specific features? This seems to contradict the previous trend of generalizing GPU programmability.

Am I an idiot? I'm open to that possibility. Let me know.

edit: I a word.

I do, but really only in the PC space. I don't think the consoles right now have enough grunt to pull it off to the extent where it will be highly appreciable (I could be wrong!). Part of this is down to my skepticism that AMD's solution is equal to Nvidia's, let alone superior in RDNA2. I think by the time the next-next gen consoles roll around we'll have alot of more oomph to get behind crazy raytracing effects at full blown native 4k with HDR etc.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
It's a waste of resource, in this moment. You can reach the same graphics quality with old stile effects, we don't need accuracy, we need plausibility. Metro Exodus is not better with raytracing, it's just different. Also RT is used now for useless things as puddles and too clean cars and mirrors but not for other materials.

Maybe next next gen with more power and DLSS will be different.

hemo memo

Gold Member
No and it is a waste. So many things can immerse you in a game like sound which Sony focused on better than a very expensive reflection.

royox

Do you care about real time ray tracing?

As a person that reads videogame forums EVERY DAY and also plays everyday with my PC, PS4pro or Switch, I still don't know what the fuck that is and at this point i'm so scared to ask.
And let's not get started with other trends now like teraflops...i just want to play my videogames not to have an engineering degree.

JCK75

I care for it the same way I care for the Kinect.
don't give two shits about it for gaming but on my PC I want it for working in Blender. Improving what the real time engine can do makes it easier to perfect before rendering.

FranXico

Used sparingly, it can be a very useful tool to use next to all the other techniques.
It should not, however, be thought of as a panacea.

Kikorin

I'd care if we could have yet fully ray traced games, but considering these console are not powerful enough for that and we are going to get ray tracing just for little thing like showed in Ratchet & Clank or maybe in some indie games, I'm still not that much excited about it.

Zimmy68

No, what happened is that computing got more powerful and the performance became acceptable with the hit.

The same thing is happening with ray tracing, but probably not on the next generation of console. I think it is going to be very limited on console but will take off on PC over the next few years.

I don't remember the last time I saw a game where I could turn nvidia physx on or off (maybe Arkham Knight?).
So, either they scrapped it or came up with another way of doing it that didn't rely on a proprietary function.

So computing got more powerful and they didn't need nvidia physx, thus, they gave up on it.

DJT123

From what I understand it eliminates time spent on baked lighting solutions. We've all noticed how long it takes to make amazing quality games so if RT eases the load on devs to any measurable extent while providing more accurate, impressive graphics that would be amazing.

Last edited:
As a person that reads videogame forums EVERY DAY and also plays everyday with my PC, PS4pro or Switch, I still don't know what the fuck that is and at this point i'm so scared to ask.
And let's not get started with other trends now like teraflops...i just want to play my videogames not to have an engineering degree.

DelireMan7

Why just yes/no ?

Don't get the "it's waste of resources". I don't care about ray tracing, but I do not consider it a waste of resource

eventualdecline

Neo Member
Like I said if there is option to turn it off for better performance then I will just turn it off, I dot find it all that exciting as much most people here do.

Yes! Also, while you’re at it, you should just turn off all textures as well. Textures are so 1994. You should play 3D games the real way, which is without textures. True 1992 polygons, not that unnatural 1994 stuff. Textures just hog up all of your resources, not to mention electricity too. Don’t you love the environment?

There is nothing that a developer can do to get around bandwidth constraints. There are some really smart people that don't work at gaming studios and they haven't come up with a technique for faster RT due to it's nature (especially in a closed platform with fixed hardware). That's why innovation in actual hardware silicon was born. Having worked with RT for many years, it is what it is. Looking through the UE4 RTX code shows me the same algorithms that we use in film. There literally isn't anything magical about it in a realtime engine and game devs will use similar code.

Until we come up with a better way to model light paths, it'll be expensive and hog up bandwidth - especially at higher resolutions.

Right, that’s why each and every single PS5 and Series X launch game looks exactly like that UE5 PS5 demo, right? Oops, they don’t, so I guess you’re wrong. The launch games this year look like what they are, which are up-resed PS4 games. There’s going to be obvious and drastic improvements to games on next gen consoles in the coming years, in all categories, like what happens every gen. For a VFXveteran, did you just start gaming in 2013?

On PC there's no reason not to be excited for raytracing. The possibilities are endless.

On console, games won't use many raytracing features. At least not for a while.

Except that next-gen consoles will be capable of more advanced ray-tracing than what 95% of PC gamers will be capable of. At least for awhile. Oops, I guess you fucked up your post.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Right, that’s why each and every single PS5 and Series X launch game looks exactly like that UE5 PS5 demo, right? Oops, they don’t, so I guess you’re wrong. The launch games this year look like what they are, which are up-resed PS4 games. There’s going to be obvious and drastic improvements to games on next gen consoles in the coming years, in all categories, like what happens every gen. For a VFXveteran, did you just start gaming in 2013?

You don't know anything about the cost of graphics complexity. Otherwise, you wouldn't be trolling me. I'll let you believe you just told me something. Enjoy the generation.

Top Bottom