• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you believe Tears of The Kingdom will have the same impact as BoTW or even Elden Souls?

Will Tears of The Kingdom be undisputed GOTY and dominate mindshare?

• Of course it will, follow up to one of the best games ever made

Votes: 38 21.6%
  • It will be a great game, but sequel-itis will hit it hard

Votes: 108 61.4%
  • I think it will be ok but drowned out by other big games

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • It will come and go

Votes: 21 11.9%

• Total voters

Astral Dog

Nowhere near close, but it will be a great game that surpasses Breath of the Wild in every way

TotK will do a lot of new things but its sill pretty much Breath of the Wild part 2, next generation with significant CPU increase and SSD, we are going to see a new Zelda designed for modern hardware features

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
9nkXJZC.jpg

KxpZ9kX.jpg
HnbZZcz.jpg
e8R7b7j.jpg
mJf0S6N.jpg

vlazrkV.jpg

GpUjTpa.png
gravity-rush-2-2017118121551_1.jpg

51H1058AMWL._AC_SX342_.jpg

blob_pdvp.jpg

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Where do you want the lizards, then?
I want it to be like Dark Souls...

That there are specific enemies in each area, it's okay to put a variation, but they cant put a enemie from green to purple and for that reason the enemy is stronger.

0d797944e70db909e4859662bb68e69a0d2e352dr1-504-204v2_hq.jpg

:messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call::messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call::messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I don't think it can have the same impact, mostly because of the freshness of BOTW. But I do think it can be equally as good if not better of a game, landing in the 95-97 range on Metacritic - but culturally it won't have the same capture simply because we hadn't experienced true open world Zelda before BOTW.

Tams

It'll do extremely well, perhaps even better than BOTW considering how many Switches are out there now. But they got most of the low-hanging 'revolutionary' fruit with BOTW as it was a major change in direction for them.

The only other major changes in direction they could take are more realistic graphics like that Zelda teaser/mock-up that they made in the mid 2000s or VR. We know that TOTK isn't going to be either of those. And that's absolutely fine; they've only made one game in the BOTW direction and I can't wait for more.

It won't just won't be 'revolutionary'. With the direction they have taken, the only things they could really make stand out are the flying. If there's some underwater parts, that could make waves.

All that said, neither BOTW nor Elden Ring are/were 'revolutionary' nor have changed the industry massively. They are both incredibly polished and enjoyable games. I don't think there's much point in pondering it though.

Now as for 'revolutionary' games, for what it's worth (not including ones before my time):
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Final Fantasy
  • Mario Kart
  • Pokémon (1st gen)
  • Doom
  • Quake
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Street Fighter
  • Gran Turismo
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • Goldeneye
  • Super Mario 64
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Age of Empires II (maybe 1)
  • Red Alert
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
  • Medal of Honor
  • Halo
  • Morrowind
  • Grand Theft Auto III
  • Battlefield 1942
  • Battlefield 2
  • Call of Duty
  • Wii Sports
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Minecraft
  • Crysis
  • Far Cry
  • Battlefield 3
  • Assassin's Creed (yes, the first one)
  • maybe Splatoon - not sure it's really had an impact on other games

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It will be the next Ragnorak. Overrated by critics but fans will be disappointed, bored, and underwhelmed because it would be too samey.

Same thing is going to happen with Elden Ring 2. These long 50-100 hour games are all going to have the same issues.

It'll have as big an impact as Nintendo fans want it to have.

This is coming from a person who enjoyed BotW but does not understand what made it so transformative to so many people.

Tg89

Probably not. BOTW took a major step for open world games, and ER followed that up this year with iterating and improving on that formula. I can't see TOTK being able to take another step of that magnitude.

Not to say it can't improve on and be better than BOTW.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

No Im just hoping amazing dungeons and bosses return at this point. I wish they would fix the weapon system problem since it hurts the game a lot but the game was too praised so there's no way, that would really make me take notice and give mad respect to the developers.

Last edited:

Lethal01

It won't reach Breath of the wild level, but Elden ring is a game that copies Breath of the Wild so I can see Tear of the kingdom, which is a more genuine copy surpassing it.

Top Bottom