• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you believe Tears of The Kingdom will have the same impact as BoTW or even Elden Souls?

Will Tears of The Kingdom be undisputed GOTY and dominate mindshare?

• Of course it will, follow up to one of the best games ever made

Votes: 38 21.6%
  • It will be a great game, but sequel-itis will hit it hard

Votes: 108 61.4%
  • I think it will be ok but drowned out by other big games

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • It will come and go

Votes: 21 11.9%

• Total voters
It seems like the discussion around the game is, “WHEN?????” It was voted most anticipated game of 2023 over a lot of other big games and I don’t think anyone even doubted it would easily win that category. Every trailer or snippet they release of it shuts the internet down for at least the next hour. The last time we saw this much early anticipation for a game was probably Elden Ring and we see how this year went.

Do you think Tears of The Kingdom will have that level of impact this year like Elden Ring did last year? The type of impact that generates months of discussion, deep dives, fan art, early GOTY discussion and drowns out any other release before or after it’s release? Do other games need to get out of its way?

Breath of The Wild was my GOTG last go round, but a part of me isn’t feeling the hype as much simply because i feel like I have to force myself to turn on my Switch these days. Getting hype to play a game (despite how good it is) in 900p, -30fps with no trophy support or anything just isn’t there for me. We’ve had what feels like a two year delay with this ‘next gen’ that im far more hype to get into some new big AAA games coming. I’m sure I will still highly enjoy zelda though but im really hoping Nintendo has new hardware to launch with it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
unless there's some great addition to the game that makes it a must play even after playing BOTW, no
it will be super popular but i don't think it's gonna make waves in the industry the same way the first one did

I'd argue the same thing's happening with GOW Ragnarok

oh yeah, add a poll

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Probably not but if it’s an improvement on BotW alongside a lot more of the same, that’s all this guy needs. I hope I can emulate it at 60FPS but I’ll take BotW level performance on my Switch if that’s all I can get launch day tbh.

BotW remains one of the best games ever made

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I don't believe even Nintendo can top themselves so soon. The game would need to be absolutely revolutionary to meet such expectation, and even if it managed to do that in gameplay, it's almost sure to have technical limitations that will greatly tone down its overall potential. Nobody will turn a blind eye on the limitations of a Switch game in 2023, and that alone assures that TOTK won't have the same impact as BOTW.

I'll be the happiest chap in town if my predictions turn out wrong, though.

Marvel14

Banned
Not based on what we've seen so far. Rock golem plus boboklins crawling all over it doesn't count as a new enemy.

But this is Nintendo and if they've worked on it for 4-5 years it probably has stunning Nintendo magic and the trailers barely scratch the surface.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
We just don't know enough about the game. However insane the impact of BotW was, I have two points to make.

1) Building off the existing world and gameplay template saves them 5 years of work. If they decide to keep pushing for innovation as much as Nintendo often does, the potential for the game to dramatically eclipse part 1 is huge. A dozen top tier dungeons. Tons of quests. They have the time to make it if they choose.

2) BotW was a departure and an experiment following Skyward Sword. Since it came out they've been told by virtually everyone alive it was the best decision they ever made. This means they have the motivation, the assurances financially (Zelda never sold this much), the critical acclaim to trust their vision and push it as far as it can possibly go.

The potential is 100% there to dramatically eclipse part 1 on a multitude of levels. I just have no idea if they are yet since we've barely seen it.

Last edited:
poll up

Episode 4 Starz GIF by P-Valley

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Not based on what we've seen so far. Rock golem plus boboklins crawling all over it doesn't count as a new enemy.

But this is Nintendo and if they've worked on it for 4-5 years it probably has stunning Nintendo magic and the trailers barely scratch the surface.

Exactly... Nintendo must put different characters and enemies... I don't want the same enemy to be stronger because it's gold or weaker because it's blue...

Varied enemies are needed... I don't want blue lizards with daggers in the ice world...

I dont want red lizards with green daggers in the area of the mountain of death.

Last edited:
Wait a minute...is the sequel of Breath of wild? I thought it was a DLC or an in-between game.

I dunno. Is Nintendo having issues making the game due to Nintendo hardware?

Or are they going to release this game alongside the Switch 2?

Wait a minute...is the sequel of Breath of wild? I thought it was a DLC or an in-between game.

Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic but its been in development for 5 years already

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think it‘s almost impossible to improve on BotW, moreso if they use the same engine, recycle a lot of enemies and even the world with little or only a few changes.
Dungeons, enemies, story, bosses, shrines. Almost every aspect is ripe with possibility for improvement. Thats the craziest part considering how much impact it had already.

We just don't know enough about the game. However insane the impact of BotW was, I have two points to make.

1) Building off the existing world and gameplay template saves them 5 years of work. If they decide to keep pushing for innovation as much as Nintendo often does, the potential for the game to dramatically eclipse part 1 is huge. A dozen top tier dungeons. Tons of quests. They have the time to make it if they choose.

2) BotW was a departure and an experiment following Skyward Sword. Since it came out they've been told by virtually everyone alive it was the best decision they ever made. This means they have the motivation, the assurances financially (Zelda never sold this much), the critical acclaim to trust their vision and push it as far as it can possibly go.

The potential is 100% there to dramatically eclipse part 1 on a multitude of levels. I just have no idea if they are yet since we've barely seen it.
This is what I was thinking but you phrased it much better than I could.

I approve of this post!

I Like It Good Job GIF

Most of us probably assumed it was gonna be a quick sequel when they announced they were using the same engine and overworld. That would have been enough.

But now that they've taken 6 years, expectations are much higher. We haven't seen much of the game and it's hard to imagine how they could match those expectations. It can still be done, but they need to fix all the shortcomings of the original game and add a nice big scoop of new stuff as well.

sainraja

Hell no.

Sequels rarely generate the same level of impact.

And in fact, we have yet to see the impact elden ring has had on games as yet. Too early. All that stuff you were referring to is just hype.
Elden Ring basically adopted the BOTW formula into a Souls game.

You know, it would make sense to release it on Switch 2. I wouldn't call it a pattern but the Wii and Switch sold really well and they had Zelda release on launch day. I believe Breath of the Wild was a big factor for the Switch's initial success.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
Skyward Sword came out in November of 2011. Breath of the Wild came out in March of 2017. Nintendo spent a little less than 6 full years to transition to UE4 and build the first open world Zelda title (with a help from Monolith).

Tears of the Kingdom is slated for May of 2023. Another 6 years will have passed since the release of the last Zelda. The major difference this time around is that the team gets to focus on building on top of a pre-existing engine. Additionally, they plan to re-use most of the open world from first title. I'm expecting big things.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Skyward Sword came out in November of 2011. Breath of the Wild came out in March of 2017. Nintendo spent a little less than 6 full years to transition to UE4 and build the first open world Zelda title (with a help from Monolith).

Tears of the Kingdom is slated for May of 2023. Another 6 years will have passed since the release of the last Zelda. The major difference this time around is that the team gets to focus on building on top of a pre-existing engine. Additionally, they plan to re-use most of the open world from first title. I'm expecting big things.
Realistically subtract 1 year for covid but the point still stands. I agree.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
All direct sequels on zelda franchise are more weird than revolutionary. It will create yet another fandom that swears by it, but most people won't even replay it after a playthrough.

Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic but its been in development for 5 years already
He's asking questions the regular consumer might ask since they didn't put a number '2' behind the game. I still feel that the next Elder Scrolls game is going to have a problem with initial sales when it's not called 'Skyrim 2'.

Kumomeme

depend on what kind of gameplay focus they want to showcase

if it just same but just an improvement of existing concept then it would be hit but probably not on same level as first one

but if they bring something new, like how they tease the vertical exploration in teaser video, then it could be something.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It will be a great game and will be in the GOTY conversation, but it's not going to make the same type of impact that BotW did.

He's asking questions the regular consumer might ask since they didn't put a number '2' behind the game. I still feel that the next Elder Scrolls game is going to have a problem with initial sales when it's not called 'Skyrim 2'.

Eh, Elder Scrolls will be on Gamepass and anyone that buys it on PC is already indoctrinated into BGS titles. Although is will be like a whole 16-17 years since skyrim by then

I_D

I had no idea what the title was even referring to, until I read this thread.

As such, no.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoyed the first one, I can see myself enjoying this one as well. Also I’m not graphic whore so I have no issue playing games on my Switch.

Last edited:

Arsic

Gold Member
Doubtful . Most are finally fed up with the hardware limitations and the first game does not run well.

If the game is somehow a major evolution and runs better there’s always a chance. Never count Nintendo out, but this year is so stacked with incredible titles it’ll be very hard to pull off.

Games like Diablo 4, final fantasy 16, baldurs gate 3, and more will be MAJOR contenders. If it does pull it off that’s a big testament to what they accomplish .

Not that same impact at all because adding the scope and exploration of elder scrolls games to less buggy better designed and polished gameplay of Zelda is no longer a shocking thing.

It'll be creative and refined AF though and some people's GoaT...but next year is stacked and switch is old so I think a surprising amount of people will not even get around to playing it

It won’t have the impact BotW did, but that game was leaps forward on revolutionary hardware, and a huge comeback hit for Nintendo.

I’ll be happy if it turns out to be a good game in the same vein as Twilight Princess, with a focus on dungeons and interesting items. I would be really disappointed if it’s a retread of BotW, or if it tries even more experimentation and strays further like MM.

Fbh

Unless it surprises everyone by going in a completely new direction than BoTW (which I doubt) I don't think it will be as impactful.

But I don't think it has to be. If it takes the core of BotW, adds more enemy variety, better gear/loot, some new tools to interact with the world and a few proper dungeons it will easily be one of the best open world games out there

Paltheos

I'd be very surprised if they top it in the same way as the original. It might even be a better game but I'd be surprised if it has as big an impact on me as Breath of the Wild. As others have said, hopefully I'm wrong.

just to paint a better picture, so far these are the games launching near Zelda

Dead Island 2 (PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PC) - April 28
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch) - May 12
Redfall (Xbox Series X|S, PC) -Rumored
Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC) - May 26
Street Fighter 6 (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, PC) - June 2
Diablo IV (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PC) - June 6
Final Fantasy XVI (PS5) - June 22

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
It's gonna be a more polished and refined experience than the first one, so yes.

Since they don't have to build everything from scratch, there's gonna be more time for them to make new and better stuff.
They know what made the first one fun, so they can build from that.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
just to paint a better picture, so far these are the games launching near Zelda

Dead Island 2 (PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PC) - April 28
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch) - May 12
Redfall (Xbox Series X|S, PC) -Rumored
Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC) - May 26
Street Fighter 6 (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, PC) - June 2
Diablo IV (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PC) - June 6
Final Fantasy XVI (PS5) - June 22
These are all trash except for Zelda.

jurassic park deal with it GIF

SpiceRacz

BOTW was their first crack at open world Zelda and they nailed it, the next one should be even better. I don't think it will be as impactful though.

I don't believe even Nintendo can top themselves so soon. The game would need to be absolutely revolutionary to meet such expectation, and even if it managed to do that in gameplay, it's almost sure to have technical limitations that will greatly tone down its overall potential. Nobody will turn a blind eye on the limitations of a Switch game in 2023, and that alone assures that TOTK won't have the same impact as BOTW.

I'll be the happiest chap in town if my predictions turn out wrong, though.

I have faith they can. Mario Galaxy 2 came out 3 years after the first and they managed to surpass it.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Most Nintendo games franchises are meh to me but when they decide to do it oh boy they do it.

Tears is going to be a monster, but probably sadly the only Nintendo game I'll be interested in for the next several years.

Top Bottom