• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we still expect Breath of the Wild 2 to finally release in 2022? If so, when do you think will be the first "full" reveal?

CGiRanger

Banned
W5t5xL9Emj5SDebUZnGCMk.jpg

While BotW2 has been announced and revealed, it still hasn't yet been given a real in-depth overview or thorough gameplay walkthrough yet. We've had two very brief trailers released since 2019, while the date kept being pushed back until 2022. We of course do not know when in 2022 that the game is intended to be ready for launch.

I suppose the most likely release window would be of course having this be Nintendo's main standout Fall/Holiday game, though the original did end up launching in Spring (tied to the Switch launch of course). The later in the year the launch, then likely the later it would be before Nintendo unveils the full blowout of the game, though one would at least expect that E3 would be the latest they'd pull that off if the game still intends to launch that year.

Will Nintendo however surprise and begin showing the game earlier? The Game Awards are coming up, and Nintendo did show (admittedly very rough off-screen) gameplay of the original BotW at the show in the past. But of course Nintendo lately also prefers just simply making Nintendo Directs to unveil their games on their own terms, which they can drop at any time they wish. When will the right time be for this game I wonder?

I don't expect this to come out in 2022. The last trailer didn't give me the impression that they were close to finished and this is Zelda and Nintendo we're talking about.

Rat Rage

End of year 2022 for sure. Due to an involuntary extension of the Switch life cycle (Covid, Chip Shortage, Nvidia not being able to keep up with production) they can't pull a Breath of the Wild 1 generation transition stunt, where they ship a huge game at the end of one gen and at the beginning of a new gen on a new console at the same time, in order to strengthen the new gen console's launch lineup.
They are not gonna wait 3 more years to release Breath of the Wild 2.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Yeah, we'll see it. But the scheduling is probably going to be as much a product of what else Nintendo will have that year than when development is done.

If next year is thin, they'll make it their big holiday release. But if they have have something else locked and loaded (Prime 4?) we might see it sooner.

blacktout

I think Nintendo definitely wants it to be a holiday 2022 game, but it's probably a coin flip as to whether it makes it or not.

As far as the full reveal is concerned, I think there are two possibilities:

1. We get another trailer during the February/March Direct that offers some additional details and makes the Holiday 2022 release date official, then we get the full blowout at E3 with one final trailer during the September Direct.

2. The game doesn't show during the first Direct of the year, but it's still the centerpiece of their E3 Direct and we get a release date/window then. In this situation, I think it's more likely to be Spring 2023 than Holiday 2022, but a holiday release isn't impossible.

I don't think we'll see it at The Game Awards, since Nintendo hasn't shown much there since the Joker in Smash reveal in 2018, but I guess another teaser trailer isn't impossible.

BlackTron

End of year 2022 for sure. Due to an involuntary extension of the Switch life cycle (Covid, Chip Shortage, Nvidia not being able to keep up with production) they can't pull a Breath of the Wild 1 generation transition stunt, where they ship a huge game at the end of one gen and at the beginning of a new gen on a new console at the same time, in order to strengthen the new gen console's launch lineup.

Could be a good thing if it breaks this lame cycle so then the next Zelda after BOTW2 comes out a few years into the next system's life without all this cross gen weirdness.

Who am I kidding, they will take an eternity to make it and put it on Switch 2 several days after Switch 3.

Could be a good thing if it breaks this lame cycle so then the next Zelda after BOTW2 comes out a few years into the next system's life without all this cross gen weirdness.

Who am I kidding, they will take an eternity to make it and put it on Switch 2 several days after Switch 3.
There’s no reason for botw 2 to take so long judging by its wii u graphics.

Which irritates me because I can’t wait for Zelda to get away from this style. Imo, botw has to come out before switch 2.

BlackTron

There’s no reason for botw 2 to take so long judging by its wii u graphics.

Which irritates me because I can’t wait for Zelda to get away from this style. Imo, botw has to come out before switch 2.

I think you misunderstand me, look again. I said "Could be a good thing if it breaks this lame cycle so then the next Zelda after BOTW2 comes out a few years into the next system's life without all this cross gen weirdness."

I think you misunderstand me, look again. I said "Could be a good thing if it breaks this lame cycle so then the next Zelda after BOTW2 comes out a few years into the next system's life without all this cross gen weirdness."
Oh I understood you, I was just adding why I think it WILL break the cross gen cycle. Hopefully..

Narasumas

I still think they will target holiday 2022 and give it a very heavy focus in summer E3 2022.

I don’t think it’s being held as any kind of killer app for a console revision or anything.

Jaybe

Wasn’t Metroid Dread completed for months before they decided to put a release date on it? Curious if BotW2 will be the same. It’s amazing in an industry that just seems to shove things out to hit a date or a financial quarter that a company seeks to polish something prior. It should be the norm.

Last edited:
I think, I hope it will be pushed out to 2023

2022 is jam-packed, even for Switch, Bayonetta 3, Kirby, Pokemon. Then gamers will also be busy with non-Switch games; Elden Ring, Horizon, GoW, Diablo 3, Lost Ark,

2023 looks pretty empty, BoTW2 will have the whole year for itself

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
2023 looks pretty empty, BoTW2 will have the whole year for itself
My guess would be Nintendo would hope Metroid or even perhaps an unknown Mario game are ready for 2023.

Also keep an eye out for whenever MonolithSoft's next game will come out. Their cadence of release has been on average 3 years, so it'd be due for that point in time as well.

Aldric

I think we might see it during Geoff's clownshow in one month, at least I hope we do. What they've shown until now has massively disappointed me and I wish they'd show something that justifies the 5 years of development.

Narasumas

My guess would be Nintendo would hope Metroid or even perhaps an unknown Mario game are ready for 2023.

Also keep an eye out for whenever MonolithSoft's next game will come out. Their cadence of release has been on average 3 years, so it'd be due for that point in time as well.
The recently faithful Fire Emblem is due for a new entry soon too.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Legend of Zelda fans are eager to learn more about the next instalment in the saga, the sequel to Breath of The Wild. It must be said, Nintendo remains quite discreet on this entry scheduled for 2022. Nothing more was given since the release of the first gameplay trailer last June. But, some research we read focused on patents filed by the Japanese company revealing numerous and interesting information on the gameplay to come, and more particularly on its new mechanics.

In a first patent, published under number 20210370175 at WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization), we discovered the conditions to accomplish the ability to go through a suspended platform from below to its surface, as we could observe it in the trailer. It proves that it will be possible to perform this action freely, and not at a given and pre-established point, as one might have feared.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild IIThe Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild II
Then, the patent US20210370178 also addresses a mechanism already exposed in the trailer. Thanks to the video shared this summer by Nintendo, the most observant had noticed that Link was going to be endowed with a new power, a kind of "Rewind" function to apply to objects. We see from this patent that the object goes back in time in a same way, in reverse, that in its last movement with a representation of the power by a gauge. We can easily imagine that tons of puzzles in a style loved by fans of the series will be based on this.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild IIThe Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild II
Last but not least, the file under number US20210370179 reveals that the free falling will be much more developed than one might have expected. Not only will our character be able to take several positions but also to shoot with his bow during it. More precisely, Link will have the possibility of falling backward but also diving. This aerial gymnastics is obviously inspired by the acrobatic performances of parachutists, and possibility to shoot with the bow, even while free falling, promises to deliver charismatic and exciting combats in the air

Rodolink

would depend if we get a direct by January February but that would be too soon to make it for march, maybe they'll push it all the way to the holidays with a showcase and marketing preparations on June 🙄

ultrazilla

W5t5xL9Emj5SDebUZnGCMk.jpg

While BotW2 has been announced and revealed, it still hasn't yet been given a real in-depth overview or thorough gameplay walkthrough yet. We've had two very brief trailers released since 2019, while the date kept being pushed back until 2022. We of course do not know when in 2022 that the game is intended to be ready for launch.

I suppose the most likely release window would be of course having this be Nintendo's main standout Fall/Holiday game, though the original did end up launching in Spring (tied to the Switch launch of course). The later in the year the launch, then likely the later it would be before Nintendo unveils the full blowout of the game, though one would at least expect that E3 would be the latest they'd pull that off if the game still intends to launch that year.

Will Nintendo however surprise and begin showing the game earlier? The Game Awards are coming up, and Nintendo did show (admittedly very rough off-screen) gameplay of the original BotW at the show in the past. But of course Nintendo lately also prefers just simply making Nintendo Directs to unveil their games on their own terms, which they can drop at any time they wish. When will the right time be for this game I wonder?

E3 2022 with a Fall 2022 release alongside the 4k Switch Super Dooper Pooper Scooper System.

Aldric

At the risk of getting disappointed by the end result these mechanics added to what little we've seen of the game make my imagination run wild. What if the swimming through stone mechanic isn't simply used to surge from the surface to the floating islands but can also be used in the opposite direction, in combination with the free fall mechanic to target the ground and traverse it to reach the underworld we've seen in the first teaser? That'd actually justify the recycling of Hyrule and the 5 years of development, if we could freely and seamlessly travel from the surface to the sky and from the sky to the underground caves and tunnels.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I will believe the game will release when I am holding a physical copy or digital code in my hands ... not one day before then. Been burned before (BOTW1)

NahaNago

This has me curious now. Will they have a zelda at launch for the next console or what will be the big launch game for the next gen Nintendo console if not zelda.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
This has me curious now. Will they have a zelda at launch for the next console or what will be the big launch game for the next gen Nintendo console if not zelda.

Switch 2 would have to launch with either BOTW2, Metroid Prime 4 or a new 3D Mario

Kenpachii

Who knows with nintendo, could very well be a 2023 early title with the switch 2 release at this point.

I honestly do think they keep the title from releasing just to have a ace behind them if the switch stops selling.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’ll remind everyone Breath of the Wild is a 2017 game and if you haven't played this game you owe it to yourself.

Stafford

Let's hope by the time it comes out there is actually a much more powerful Switch, so it does the game justice really. After all these super clean games like RDR2, Witcher 3, Gears 5, Sony exclusives etc it's hard to go back to BoTW on a 65 inch OLED and seeing all the aliasing, not to mention framrrate and so on.

NahaNago

Switch 2 would have to launch with either BOTW2, Metroid Prime 4 or a new 3D Mario
I'm thinking BOTW2 will come out next year and Metroid Prime 4 will come out the year after next. 3D mario seems likely since I don't see the next switch coming out until at least late 2023 or early 2024 thanks to the old
Mario Kart 9 probably.
Releasing at the end of this gen and at the start of next gen seems like a good idea. Maybe they are waiting for mario kart to completely fall of the charts first.
at this rate MP4.
No way, I have faith this game is coming out for regular switch first.

Kamina

Golden Boy
If BotW2 inst releasing in March 22 we will see a treehouse thing around E3 time again.

The Legend of Zelda fans are eager to learn more about the next instalment in the saga, the sequel to Breath of The Wild. It must be said, Nintendo remains quite discreet on this entry scheduled for 2022. Nothing more was given since the release of the first gameplay trailer last June. But, some research we read focused on patents filed by the Japanese company revealing numerous and interesting information on the gameplay to come, and more particularly on its new mechanics.

In a first patent, published under number 20210370175 at WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization), we discovered the conditions to accomplish the ability to go through a suspended platform from below to its surface, as we could observe it in the trailer. It proves that it will be possible to perform this action freely, and not at a given and pre-established point, as one might have feared.

Then, the patent US20210370178 also addresses a mechanism already exposed in the trailer. Thanks to the video shared this summer by Nintendo, the most observant had noticed that Link was going to be endowed with a new power, a kind of "Rewind" function to apply to objects. We see from this patent that the object goes back in time in a same way, in reverse, that in its last movement with a representation of the power by a gauge. We can easily imagine that tons of puzzles in a style loved by fans of the series will be based on this.

Last but not least, the file under number US20210370179 reveals that the free falling will be much more developed than one might have expected. Not only will our character be able to take several positions but also to shoot with his bow during it. More precisely, Link will have the possibility of falling backward but also diving. This aerial gymnastics is obviously inspired by the acrobatic performances of parachutists, and possibility to shoot with the bow, even while free falling, promises to deliver charismatic and exciting combats in the air
What kind of degree do i need to interpret this correctly?
Or maybe i just need to be less drunk...

Last edited:
Top Bottom