• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do people still buy comic books?

CAPSOL

I have moments in which I feel like reading a good sci-fi comics (not super hero), when I do I buy physical, usually hardback omnibus/complete editions.

Bought Nameless and the Pull a week agom

I like the idea of digital, and I understand why people prefer it, but I have grown an appreciation for the times away from a glowing screen.
I've been meaning to read Nameless! Looks like a cool sci fi book I could get into.

Another sci fi book i recommend if you haven't read it, is Saga. I've been reading through it, in preparation for the book's return at the end of this month, and am loving it so far.

It's basically a space opera that has great world building, while still providing a really personal story.

And I hear you about reading digital, I dont mind it but I prefer reading physical comics. Especially when it comes to oversized formats and appreciating art in large panels.

Last edited:

CAPSOL

For action you might want to start with The Authority by Warren Ellis. I recommend getting the absolute edition which is a oversized hardcover format. Little bit pricey but absolutely worth it. If you want something from Marvel I recommend Old Man Logan by Mark Millar or Marvel Zombies 1-2 by Robert Kirkman(same guy who made the walking dead and invincible).

If you want a mindfuck I recommend Animal Man by Grant Morrison. This is probably my favorite run of all time. It starts pretty basic but I promise you that by the end of the story your mind will be blown. It is also a good way to start reading grant morrison stories as some of them are really trippy and not easy to understand. You can get the two deluxe editions that cover the whole run. Planetary is also great but you might want to save that one for when you are a little bit more familiar with comics as it has some self referential stuff about the industry that you might not get.

If you want something more political I recommend Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis. Crazy story with awesome world building and plenty of violence, drugs and sex. If you can get the absolute editions get them.

really solid recommendations

I buy Image comics on Comixology and read Marvel comics on Marvel Unlimited. I gave up on physical comics in 04.

You sound more like a Boomer. Digital comics are a millennial thing and vastly superior in every way. Then again I always cared more about about the content of the books than how they felt in my hand.
Dumbest thing I’ve read on here lol .

Deanington

Just preordered this Omni not too long ago. This was a really good series, and the first omni was out of print for a while. So glad to see it back.

VoGXQR4.png

So I found a comic book store near me...I am considering starting with comic books. I'm not sure where to start, looks like there's alot of series out there with varying genres and stuff. And in the case it does take off with me the comic book stuff, not sure if I need to invest in a storage bin for them or something, it just seems daunting taking up a new hobby such as this, but it may be worth it to do something new and different like this

Pakoe

So I found a comic book store near me...I am considering starting with comic books. I'm not sure where to start, looks like there's alot of series out there with varying genres and stuff. And in the case it does take off with me the comic book stuff, not sure if I need to invest in a storage bin for them or something, it just seems daunting taking up a new hobby such as this, but it may be worth it to do something new and different like this
Got any favorite superheroes or genres?

Labolas

It's been a minute since I brought a comic. Even then I was only following one or two ongoings. Now I completely dropped comics since the writers and artists changed, I'm all in on manga, although I've been more of a manga more reader for over a decade now.

Deanington

Go to the store and talk with the workers. let them know youre new to comics. Tell them what interest you and hopefully they will set you on a path. The hard part being new is that most runs of books have already started/ended. So I would suggest if you find a book that you might like and say its in the middle/end of a run, ask the shop if there is a trade paperback ( trade ) that starts the series from the beginning and try to catch up. Once caught up and you like it, then get the singles. Singles are great if you want to stay current in a series. However trades and Omnibuses are also great for past stories. Its a rabbit hole for sure.

EDIT: I wasnt trying to come off like suggestions shouldnt be considered here, to go the store. Suggesting to go to the store is great because you can see all the different books for yourself and interact with people who love books. For me a lot of the art on covers is a big draw to try something new as well. Local support of your store is great though and lets you interact with the products/people.

Last edited:
Go to the store and talk with the workers. let them know youre new to comics. Tell them what interest you and hopefully they will set you on a path. The hard part being new is that most runs of books have already started/ended. So I would suggest if you find a book that you might like and say its in the middle/end of a run, ask the shop if there is a trade paperback ( trade ) that starts the series from the beginning and try to catch up. Once caught up and you like it, then get the singles. Singles are great if you want to stay current in a series. However trades and Omnibuses are also great for past stories. Its a rabbit hole for sure.
Wow that seems more involved than expected, yet sounds like solid beginner advice! Thanks for sharing, I may try that out when I get the chance

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Locke & Key is a good one. The guy who introduced it to me also introduced me to Crossed. Crossed is torture to read if you’re squeamish. I loved Batman The Long Halloween and Batman Hush.

sol_bad

I stopped buying singles a few years ago. I focus on omnibu and OHC's these days.

ProgenitorCastle ProgenitorCastle It's not that involved. When I started reading floppies in 2004 and again in 2011 I just jumped into whatever series took my fancy. I didn't even really chase for back issues. It may be confusing at first but you catch on and there is wikipedia if you need info on anything. Most Marvel/DC books generally work on a 5-6 issue story arc these days.

It's when you look at books from Image (for example) where it might be worthwhile chasing TPB's or back issues. They are generally creator owned and are a long ongoing story. If there are any genres that you're into we could suggest Image books as well.

Pakoe

Ironman, Ghost Rider

What kinds of comic book genres are there?
Just like regular books, there should be a comic for any genre.

I gotta admit, I just got back into comics as well so I'm not a true expert but Youtube and the internet in general really helped me. I just searched for "best X comics" and started reading some reviews.
Hardest part was finding comics which aren't rare.

I'm from the Netherlands so I can't help with specific shops but Deanington was right by saying you should just go to the nearest comic store and ask around.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I still buy comics. Not a ton of current stuff, but there's always collected editions that appeal to me. Recently I bought "The Filth" by Grant Morrison, which is one of the weirdest and imaginative comics ever.

I'm looking forward to the collected edition of TMNT: The Last Ronin next month.

Top Bottom