• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do people still buy comic books?

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I used to collect comics back in the day.. we had stores in the neighborhood and you could also buy them in the candy store.. but i don’t see them around anymore … plus with tablets .. I imagine many folks buy them electronically

what # is Amazing Spider-man up to anyway?

most of the comic book stores around me sell TCGs as well. and TCGs are hot as fuck rn.

there are still a few comic book stores in my area that just sell comics. they usually sell weird indie comics as well. I would guess they’re doing fine because they’ve been in business forever.

Los Angeles here. still tons of comic book stores. I literally have 2 within a mile or so of where I live.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I buy the Marvel Alien series which isn't great and I would have bought new Suicide Squad if I found out earlier it was on going. I might trade wait Suicide Squad tbh.

Also willing to buy any Yoshitaka Amano variants I can, otherwise nah.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Plenty out in AZ; they've mixed into collectible and comic book shops though, with renting some space for niche vendors

Best place to buy working vintage carts in near mint condition is a booth in a nerd culture store in the ghetto of Phoenix lol

Finding rare stuff is hard out here, FE's and stuff, but everything else is pretty cheap out here. Still have some nickle bins

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
most of the comic book stores around me sell TCGs as well. and TCGs are hot as fuck rn.

there are still a few comic book stores in my area that just sell comics. they usually sell weird indie comics as well. I would guess they’re doing fine because they’ve been in business forever.

Los Angeles here. still tons of comic book stores. I literally have 2 within a mile or so of where I live.

Yea, all of the LCS's in my area are pretty much 50% TCG's, 40% trades, and 10% monthly units / single back issues now.

OP, I still buy trades on occasion and purchase individual issues digitally when they get really good word of mouth. I don't have many friends who still read comics, but all who do pretty much do the same as me now - including one friend who is really avid about the digital subscriptions out.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I can't stand digital shit when it comes to comics

I dunno, call me an ass hat millenial, but there's something to the crisp pages of your first spiderman comic as a kid that you don't want to outlive

I still love the feel and smell of a physical comic myself, but they're sometimes harder than they should be to obtain (which I get, LCS profit margins are slim), and then there's the matter of storage or giving them away when done.

Ever try reading comics on a big old 12"+ iPad? While it's not as good as a physical copy IMO it is a pretty dope experience - especially when the interface is designed well (easy zoom ins on panels, popping good colors, etc).

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I still love the feel and smell of a physical comic myself, but they're sometimes harder than they should be to obtain (which I get, LCS profit margins are slim), and then there's the matter of storage or giving them away when done.

Ever try reading comics on a big old 12"+ iPad? While it's not as good as a physical copy IMO it is a pretty dope experience - especially when the interface is designed well (easy zoom ins on panels, popping good colors, etc).
Yeah, I have
And I think that's part of the appeal for me to be all physical with my collection (Even if pricey at times)
I read enough digital material for work that leisure reading is really attractive as a physical format
EDIT:
Lets not talk about my storage unit cost
EDIT2:
I recently hung out at my public library for a bit and read some comics just because I miss the smell of shitty print paper and low quality ink

Last edited:

dukelufa

Neo Member
I used to collect comics back in the day.. we had stores in the neighborhood and you could also buy them in the candy store.. but i don’t see them around anymore … plus with tablets .. I imagine many folks buy them electronically

comics will outlive humanity.
people will not, but it will be possible to dig up comic books. :messenger_alien:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Are there still monthly issues for all the big name marvel series?
do they even print a lot of physical books)

Yes, all of the mainline books for the Big Two are still also physical. But to insure you can get every issue you want, one typically needs to create a pull list with a LCS. This is because their margins are so thin they need to make sure each person wanting to buy a comic will actually do so reliably.

CAPSOL

I got back into collecting comics this year and was pleasantly surprised by all the quality modern books (from the Big 2 and Indy publishers).

I also started collecting omnibus/oversized formats and love catching up on all gems I've missed out on in the last 20 years.

It's a great time to read comics.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned

I still buy Buffy comics. Nothing else

Amazing Spider-man got rebooted last time I checked

sinnergy

I started again with King Spawn. I have a whole collection of all the Spawn comics from the 90s, I also started them in the 90s.

Last edited:

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I buy Image comics on Comixology and read Marvel comics on Marvel Unlimited. I gave up on physical comics in 04.

I can't stand digital shit when it comes to comics

I dunno, call me an ass hat millenial, but there's something to the crisp pages of your first spiderman comic as a kid that you don't want to outlive

You sound more like a Boomer. Digital comics are a millennial thing and vastly superior in every way. Then again I always cared more about about the content of the books than how they felt in my hand.

Last edited:

Mistake

This might be a good place to ask. What are some good standalone card games? I used to love all the oldies like yugioh or pokemon, but they suffer from power creep or ever changing rules. Would be nice to have something reliable to break out and play

To the op, I was recently recommended some US comics like Stray Dogs, Gideon Falls, and Stray Bullets, so I’ll check those out soon

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm limiting myself to the Omnibus format these days, but I get one or two a month.
I've only just got into that myself. I had no idea there were so many. IMO it is the best way to read these great stories. I have a lot of the issues in the good old-fashioned way but they're unorganized in boxes so it's far easier to read them in these beautiful hardcovers.

This might be a good place to ask. What are some good standalone card games? I used to love all the oldies like yugioh or pokemon, but they suffer from power creep or ever changing rules. Would be nice to have something reliable to break out and play

To the op, I was recently recommended some US comics like Stray Dogs, Gideon Falls, and Stray Bullets, so I’ll check those out soon
Gideon Falls is amazing

Can’t go wrong with MTG. Lots of different formats depending on what you’re into, each with different entry price points

Download magic the gathering arena (online mtg) and give it a go, transition to paper if you dig it

The tutorial is excellent and will teach you how to play

Edit: flesh and blood is a new card game that I’ve gotten into in this past year. It’s great, might want to look into that. Much faster paced than mtg if that’s your thing. I prefer mtg but flesh and blood is solid

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Only TPBs. I can't imagine buying individual issues nowadays.

Plenty out in AZ; they've mixed into collectible and comic book shops though, with renting some space for niche vendors

Best place to buy working vintage carts in near mint condition is a booth in a nerd culture store in the ghetto of Phoenix lol

Finding rare stuff is hard out here, FE's and stuff, but everything else is pretty cheap out here. Still have some nickle bins

Are you talking about that place on Indian School off the 51?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
The last two comic books I bought. No idea why the 1st one is now showing as £289 on Amazon :/

0ZLmbZB.jpg

DUUagK0.jpg

I've got the omnibus editions of the comics I still reread occasionally.

Invisibles
Watchmen
Morrison's Doom Patrol (my favorite)
Sandman
Planetary
Metabarons
Incal

and a few others. The 2 part Sandman one is gorgeous.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
The pandemic has sky rocketed comic book prices. You might even make a profit out of those if you sell them.
You're not wrong, even the Vol 2I bought two weeks ago seems to have gone up by £21

As for selling, no way! It's taken me 25+ years to get my hands on copies of these again, i'd bought all the originals years ago when we used to visit Alien war in London but being a stupid teenager i'd given them away to a friend, like a fool!

Dr_Salt

I recently bought The Authority Absolutes I&II, both animal man deluxe editions, nemesis hardcover and the invisibles omnibus.

I started a small collection two years ago when I bought the doom patrol omnibus and flex mentallo both by Grant Morrison(both great). I was so busy with work that I forgot about comics and when I recently came back I was fairly surprised by the inflated prices and several oop books that I wanted. I believe prices are gonna go even further up, specially those vertigo absolutes once they go oop.

Last edited:
Went to my local comic book store for the first time since covid started and I'm surprised how much bigger the manga section is compared to the others. It's bigger than DC+Marvel combined. Even the Indie comic section is as big as DC+Marvel. I guess the big 2 don't hold as much weight as they used to.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Yeah they do, but it's not as serious as it once was lol

*looks at bookcase full of at least $2,000 worth of comics*

200.gif

Xyrmellon

Spider-man is up to #4. Since 2005 they've restarted the numbering every year and a half so they can release a new #1 with 56 variant covers.

Deanington

I havent bought a comic book in about a year. As others have said trades and Omnis is the way to go. A lot of great stuff out there, especially from Image.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
My latest haul….
I knew this Sin City book was going to be a big whale but I still wasn’t prepared lol

dY8lEex.jpg
I saw that Sin city in that there post of yours and need it, just had a quick look around. Zero copies in the UK on Ebay and on Amazon.. £200!

God dammit, I need this though! :messenger_sad_relieved:

Raphael

What are the berserks of comic book omnibuses? Like the best of the best and probably enjoyable to most and with good art?
Want to start collecting later this year once we move to a house and have more space. I enjoyed invincible tv show so maybe start with that? I heard good things about doom patrol and planetary as well. Y the last man?

Dr_Salt

What are the berserks of comic book omnibuses? Like the best of the best and probably enjoyable to most and with good art?
Want to start collecting later this year once we move to a house and have more space. I enjoyed invincible tv show so maybe start with that? I heard good things about doom patrol and planetary as well. Y the last man?
Invincible is good but collecting it might be a little bit pricey if you want to get the hardcovers.
As for your question I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Do you want a full on action story or are you looking for a more thought provoking philosophical story?

Raphael

Invincible is good but collecting it might be a little bit pricey if you want to get the hardcovers.
As for your question I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Do you want a full on action story or are you looking for a more thought provoking philosophical story?
More actiony to start with i think? But could you recommend 1 or 2 titles from both please?
Yeah i can see now what you mean on pricy haha. Possibly a shoter run than invincible.

Last edited:

CAPSOL

Where to start.

There is a lot of good stuff so I'll just list a few of my favs off my head.

SAGA - Brian K Vaughn
Black Hammer - Jeff Lemire
Swamp Thing - Alan Moore
Doom Patrol - Grant Morrison
Transmetropolitan - Warren Ellis
The Dark Knight Returns -Frank Miller
Watchmen - Alan Moore
Sin City - Frank Miller
East of West - Jonathan Hickman
Kill or Be Killed - Ed Brubaker
Daredevil - Frank Miller/klaus janson
The Sandman - Neil Gaiman
Y The Last Man - Brian K Vaughn
Black Science - Rick Remender
Uncanny X-Force - Rick Remender
Batman - Scott Snyder's run (vol 1 & 2)
Preacher - Garth Ennis
Astonishing X-Men - Joss Whedon
House of X | Powers of X - Jonathan Hickman
Invincible - Robert Kirkman
Hellboy - Mike Mignola
Gideon Falls - Jeff Lemire
Planetary - Warren Ellis
Usagi Yujimbo - Stan Sakai
Fear Agent - Rick Remender
Blade of the Immortal - Hiroaki Samura
Strangers in Paradise - Terry Moore
Monsters - Barry Windsor-Smith

ok I'll stop lol

Appoligize for shot guning you with a big list. I would do some research on your own to see what appeals to you.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

I have moments in which I feel like reading a good sci-fi comics (not super hero), when I do I buy physical, usually hardback omnibus/complete editions.

Bought Nameless and the Pull a week agom

I like the idea of digital, and I understand why people prefer it, but I have grown an appreciation for the times away from a glowing screen.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

More actiony to start with i think? But could you recommend 1 or 2 titles from both please?
Yeah i can see now what you mean on pricy haha. Possibly a shoter run than invincible.
For action you might want to start with The Authority by Warren Ellis. I recommend getting the absolute edition which is a oversized hardcover format. Little bit pricey but absolutely worth it. If you want something from Marvel I recommend Old Man Logan by Mark Millar or Marvel Zombies 1-2 by Robert Kirkman(same guy who made the walking dead and invincible).

If you want a mindfuck I recommend Animal Man by Grant Morrison. This is probably my favorite run of all time. It starts pretty basic but I promise you that by the end of the story your mind will be blown. It is also a good way to start reading grant morrison stories as some of them are really trippy and not easy to understand. You can get the two deluxe editions that cover the whole run. Planetary is also great but you might want to save that one for when you are a little bit more familiar with comics as it has some self referential stuff about the industry that you might not get.

If you want something more political I recommend Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis. Crazy story with awesome world building and plenty of violence, drugs and sex. If you can get the absolute editions get them.

Last edited:

Raphael

Awesome stuff guys. Thanks for the thoutful replies. I will start digging into those. Much appriciated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom