• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do I qualify for 'PC Master Face' if my pc specs are lower than console's?

I simply love games, and PC gives me the most flexible way to enjoy that hobby.

But games can and should be played however desired by those who enjoy them. PC/console/handheld/VR/old/new/AAA/indie - any of the above / all of the above - it's all good.

Bl@de

Yes. PC Master Race is a state of mind. The highest possible form of gaming that trancends all specs.

iu

b0uncyfr0

Yes ofc, even with lower specs, you have advantages a console will never have. Nvidia Freestyle / Sweetx - custom tweaks ( pcgamingwikia ) - mods - free online. You will always have alternatives and the best thing about PC gaming.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Of course. You still have the benefit of almost infinite backward compatibility. A massive library, mods, free online play, cheap games, control options, and the choice to upgrade whenever you like. Not to mention all the ass PCMR gets. Boy, let me tell you it's like we are all toilet seats how much ass we get.

ryzen 5 is better then a jaguar cpu, and the 1660ti is 11 TOPS (5.5 TFLOPS FP32 + 5.5 TFLOPS INT32) which is better then the on chip xbox one x gpu. ur only lacking in ram throw some more ram in there.

Is it ? Jeez I am out of touch.

I thought it was 1440p card while one x mostly pushes for 4k, 1660ti was weaker.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
OP doesn't realize that PC Master Race is nothing but a pitty inferior console peasant expression.

Caffeine

Is it ? Jeez I am out of touch.

I thought it was 1440p card while one x mostly pushes for 4k, 1660ti was weaker.
this is correct its a 2k card. its a complex answer i know some games are native on X some games are varying res's with checkerboard rendering to 4k. some games are 3200x1800. then there is varying settings and optimizations that can be occurring like dynamic resolution shifts.
red dead 2 is native and runs amazingly on one x. it doesnt run as nice on a 1660ti u would have to drop some settings here or there. its just hard to do a 1 to 1 comparison while the x generally holds a consistent 30fps on the game the 1660ti pushing all the settings only hits ~23-28fps.

maybe comparable is a good position to put them, remember ones on gcn the others on touring, one has gddr5 the other has gddr6. ones gonna do some aspects better then the other. on paper a 1660ti is marginally better.

Last edited:
PC Master Race has more to do with backwards compatibility, free online play, cheaper games, customization, mods and all the other benefits PC gaming offers, rather than best specs.
That's the sole reason why I love PC gaming. Cheaper games and modding.

I'd never play Skyrim without mods. So many quality of life differences between PC and consoles. That is the beauty of having an open platform.

Kenpachii

PC master race is about PC being superior on every front vs other devices like consoles.

U don't have to own a more superior PC, u just have to own a PC even if its a utterly crappy budget one u are still part of the club. The same a gamer that plays exclusively on the switch is still a console gamer.

The idea comes from console gamers that constantly try to compare themselves with PC even while PC gamers don't even consider them in the same league of existence.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Getting a PS5 with a zen 2 CPU and a GPU that hits 2070 super performance with an SSD that can't be touched for 500 dollars or less, it just destroys the concept of getting what you pay for on PC. You get ripped off on the hardware side... less on the software side.

Ripped off is a strong term. A company has to support its own continued existence, and consoles are sold near and sometimes under cost because they also sell services required for online play and licenses for software. And that's a console at launch, usually within the next few years you're able to meet that price/performance, but that's kind of where the mid gen refreshes were a wildcard if the trend continues. There's no continuing price to play on a PC, you pay for your hardware and online generally comes with the games you get.

That said, I think shifting to "PCMR is a mindset" in the face of 9th gen being more powerful than 90% of Steam PCs is utterly hilarious backtracking after years of glorious master race being so superior memes. The real lesson is, PCMR is a meme that may have been funny once but is thoroughly beaten to death and the realm of edgelords now.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

You can game easy but 16gb ram would have been ideal

Still, there's a shit ton of game to play you can't get bored... there's too many games out there lol

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So GAF, I was wondering if I could proudly attach the coveted tag 'PC Master Race', if my PC specs read like

Ryzen 5, GTX 1660ti, 8 gb ram etc. (Laptop actually).

I am not talking about next gen systems either. Comparing to current gen 'enhanced consoles'.

The thing is if I can't, it basically means we have far fewer no of members of this race than previously thought. Steam hardware survey suggests less than 10% of pc gaming population.

What do we call rest of 90%? PC peasants? Sounds dumb.

Also not to mention, when next gen arrives even, hardcore members of this race will be stripped of the previledge. If Nvidia fails to launch GTX 3080 in timely fashion or if you got a bit late in upgrading.

So you will be changing from 'PC Master Race' to 'PC Peasants' to 'PC Master Race' again. How dumb is that? You will have your race changed depending on market conditions. I think gamers didn't think this through.

Help me solve this paradox GAF.

You ARE the PC "race". Master race is less than 3% of the market.

I know this is an old thread,

But I like to think that PCMR can be applied for the simple fact that gaming on pc can allow you to play all genres of gaming and likely even spanning all available consoles and even previous consoles from a generation or three ago.

If it's just power than that's pretty dumb.

Games are about games, ya know?

Last edited:

zkorejo

I always secretly wanted to say it. Won't find a better place than this thread to say it and not be taken seriously. Since last year I'm Master Race too.

(It felt so good).

It's not what you have inside your case. It's what you do with it.*

* Write an in-stock-alert-bot for PS5, stream your terminal on twitch for massive cash flow.

Neo_game

IMO PCMR is about having latest hardware or you have top tier last gen component. But still you need to keep up with tech and constantly upgrade. So yeah PCMR is kinda stupid and unnecessary but some people like it. I think hardly 5% come under PCMR.

Your laptop specs though is better than your console SS.

Merkades

I don't know if I have ever used PCMR or not, but I can definitely say that to me, it is not all about specs. I mean, that is definitely part, but it doesn't have to be now, just that you can upgrade. Anyways, what I really place importance on is options and modding. I hate things that degrade image quality (DoF/MB/Film Grain et cetera), so I like being able to alter things. And mods can make games new again, or just work how they should.

Until this year, I was using a mostly 10+ year old PC (sans GPU), but being able to choose settings often meant I could match or exceed my PS4Pro in multiplat titles. Oh yeah, I also like M/KB for some games.

only when one blosters , bloasters , blatters on , about zee rig , and zee fps , can zee be classed as zee part of zee race. and you must have a ten grand rig and chip on shoulder. ;P

sat in zee console threads,....

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It's not Really about specs although that helps, it's really about RGB.

That's my PC, consoles simply don't have the power of the master race to have synced RGB.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm just going to ignore the snide sarcastic comment and point out that you can call yourself whatever the fuck you want, "PC Master Race" is just a joke not to be taken seriously. Most of those of us who are spending a lot of money on high end equipment don't have an asshole threshold for worthiness according to how much money you sacrifice to the altar of the PC god (that was also a joke btw).

It's not Really about specs although that helps, it's really about RGB.

That's my PC, consoles simply don't have the power of the master race to have synced RGB.

You must be a very cruel person literally choking your graphics card like that :(

Last edited:

Rickyiez

You're still qualified for PCMR due to the sheer amount of tweaks you can do . Couldn't hit 60FPS frame target ? Drop the resolution and graphics settings . Wanted to install mods ? Yes . Wanted to play old classics games ? Yes , through GoG .

That's the beauty of PC master race , and not the actual specs itself .

Top Bottom