• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do I qualify for 'PC Master Face' if my pc specs are lower than console's?

Getting a PS5 with a zen 2 CPU and a GPU that hits 2070 super performance with an SSD that can't be touched for 500 dollars or less, it just destroys the concept of getting what you pay for on PC. You get ripped off on the hardware side... less on the software side.
If you think you're getting a PS5 for $500, let alone less, you're on crack...like real high grade shit. But yes...we do pay a little more for the hardware, dollar to dollar, performance to performance. It's more than offset by how little we pay for our games though. PC games are always cheaper. They're usually atleast $10 cheaper on launch, sometimes more with pre-release sales on sites like GMG or humble not being uncommon, and a few months later when the major sales hit? Forget about it.

Lanrutcon

I'm not on a budget, I could buy an Alienware right now.... I just find the games and experience on console better. The exclusives on Nintendo and PlayStation are the best games in the industry.... followed by Rockstar and Capcom IMO. You're still waiting a long time for R* games to come out on PC.

I hate using windows and I hate the idea of sitting at a table to play a game in an office chair... that is not leisure or a good time.

I was in fact flirting with the notion of getting the new Alienware, it looks good but then the PS5 design came out and looks quite similar. Color scheme is very like it too.

Nintendo and PS have great exclusives, agreed. I do own various Nintendo consoles for travelling. I think R* games are overrated, and that there are muuuuuch better PS games to get a console for.

You don't have to sit at a table or in an office chair. It's 2020. I lie in bed and play most of my games that way. unless it's a shooter. Then you use a M&K, like Batman would.

I would not buy Alienware, I'd go custom for the same price. Befriend a hobbyist, give him your budget, let him do his thing. I've found that people who are passionate about PC tech work magic when it comes to custom rigs.

At the end of the day, we're brothers in gaming you and I. Our choice of platform is irrelevant. Unless you're a mobile gamer. Those guys creep me out.

Bryank75

Banned
If you think you're getting a PS5 for $500, let alone less, you're on crack...like real high grade shit. But yes...we do pay a little more for the hardware, dollar to dollar, performance to performance. It's more than offset by how little we pay for our games though. PC games are always cheaper. They're usually atleast $10 cheaper on launch, sometimes more with pre-release sales on sites like GMG or humble not being uncommon, and a few months later when the major sales hit? Forget about it.
I agree with that, I just tend to play more exclusives than anything.... then buy some 3rd party games at discount if I ever run out but I have a huge backlog.

Each platform has a market IMO, just depends on your individual predispositions. I think PC can benefit PlayStation and PlayStation can benefit PC..... just look at some of the games coming to PC soon..... Death Stranding and Horizon etc. Detroit BH and Heavy Rain previously.
SFV also funded by PlayStation but allowed to go to PC....

The industry would be very dull without consoles or PC gaming.

Bryank75

Banned
Nintendo and PS have great exclusives, agreed. I do own various Nintendo consoles for travelling. I think R* games are overrated, and that there are muuuuuch better PS games to get a console for.

You don't have to sit at a table or in an office chair. It's 2020. I lie in bed and play most of my games that way. unless it's a shooter. Then you use a M&K, like Batman would.

I would not buy Alienware, I'd go custom for the same price. Befriend a hobbyist, give him your budget, let him do his thing. I've found that people who are passionate about PC tech work magic when it comes to custom rigs.

At the end of the day, we're brothers in gaming you and I. Our choice of platform is irrelevant. Unless you're a mobile gamer. Those guys creep me out.
Agreed, mobile gaming must be destroyed!

I'm pretty good on the hardware side... I actually put my first gpu into a pc when I was 9 or 10, that was 24 years ago.... when 3DFX were making cards. I just got out of PC's for gaming for a while....

diffusionx

Gold Member
PC has a lot of strengths but also many weaknesses as a platform...

It really depends what you're looking for, do you want more customization but also to spend a lot more on hardware then PC is a good fit.

However it offers poorer performance per dollar, less optimization and less guaranteed support over time than consoles.
The PC model cannot use economies of scale and cannot be subsidized by a manufacturer due to making profits back on software or services...... therefore you are paying each manufacturer of each component a premium.

Also in the way Nintendo has cut out an identity for themselves with more kid friendly or family games, so too has PlayStation with more mature and artistic content, usually in the action-adventure genre.
Nintendo and Sony both have their own kind of culture. Even Xbox is starting to develop it's identity around subscriptions and service type gaming.

PC doesn't really have that, it doesn't have a set identity or culture, it can't really market itself or change direction quickly because nobody is managing it. So if it begins to fail or gets manipulated in a negative direction, there is no real corrective measures beyond the entire audience coordinating to counter whatever happens at industry level and that is hard to do....

So, I don't think it deserves the master-race term. It's just personal preference at the end of the day.

What you say is a weakness, many would say is a strength.

You can play games the way you want to. It's not just a lot of money on high specs. It is everything from ASCII-based dwarf sim to stuff like ultrawide, comfy couch 4K, advanced driving setups, multi-monitor, cockpit setups for flight sims, 60fps in every game, etc. Most people don't do all that but it is there. The PC has plenty of kid friendly games. The PC has tons of games with more mature or artistic content. The PC has subscriptions and services, including GamePass. So ultimately it can do all those things if that is what you want. I have no idea what you mean about "it begins to fail or gets manipulated in a negative direction." People have been playing games on the PC as long as there have been PCs. Even if you think, say, the adult VNs on Steam are a "problem" or "makes PC gaming look bad" or whatever, ultimately it's irrelevant - just don't buy 'em and don't play them.

TheAssist

I could swear this thread is supposed to be super sarcastic but that fact fly's over most peoples heads :goog_unsure:

But maybe thats just me being a sarcastaball premiere league player.

Bryank75

Banned
What you say is a weakness, many would say is a strength.

You can play games the way you want to. It's not just a lot of money on high specs. It is everything from ASCII-based dwarf sim to stuff like ultrawide, comfy couch 4K, advanced driving setups, multi-monitor, cockpit setups for flight sims, 60fps in every game, etc. Most people don't do all that but it is there. The PC has plenty of kid friendly games. The PC has tons of games with more mature or artistic content. The PC has subscriptions and services, including GamePass. So ultimately it can do all those things if that is what you want. I have no idea what you mean about "it begins to fail or gets manipulated in a negative direction." People have been playing games on the PC as long as there have been PCs. Even if you think, say, the adult VNs on Steam are a "problem" or "makes PC gaming look bad" or whatever, ultimately it's irrelevant - just don't buy 'em and don't play them.
Of course, I was just pointing out that there are many perspectives and that PC doesn't fit all the needs of games.... that is why consoles, hybrids and other platforms exist.
As long as the gaming is done on physical hardware, I am happy enough to support it (not mobile phone games). I just do not like the idea of streaming or things ythat take ownership or power away from the gamers.

GreenAlien

Sure, as long as you only play last gen games at 1080p 60 FPS all is well. Just don't embarrass us all by trying current gen or next gen titles (4k, 144FPS). You will have to abstain until your machine is ready.

Swear an oath of celibacy right now, or forever give up on your PC Master Race membership.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
tenor.gif

this

master face :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
If you need validation then you are just a peasant.

PC MASTER RACE know that they are far ahead peasant console warriors, they dont need to brag or look for validation or even enter forums to read about the dozens of games that they can't play because are exclusive to PlayStation or Switch

Pc Master Race is too busy changing configurations, downloading mods and buying spaceships in Star Citizen

skneogaf

It isn't about specs as the absolute majority of pc users have garbage pc's.

I assume it is to do with freedom of paying for online and unlimited backwards compatibility etc.

Digital sales don't count anymore as xbox and playstation sales are amazing.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It is such a dumb meme. Just make sure you get to play the games you enjoy the way you like. People who care about which platform is better are people who need the approval of others to add validity to their own decisions; sheep who can’t think for themselves.

Mister Wolf

I assume it is to do with freedom of paying for online and unlimited backwards compatibility etc.

Digital sales don't count anymore as xbox and playstation sales are amazing.

Digital Sales on those consoles is nowhere as good as buying PC games off CDKEYs.com

The majority of users enterprise and work computers more than likely don't have a dGPU, so you could say they are trash for gaming. But the majority of PC gamers have much better specs than consoles.

The majority of PC gamers don't touch console ports and play nothing but League, CSGO, Dota and similar F2P titles on laptops and desktops that aren't designed for gaming at all.
If you look at steam surveys, how does the xb1 and ps4 stack up against these gpu's? No need to compare CPU's as we already know that can't even be compared to the Fisher Price, Jaguar chips. And many will be upgrading to Nvidia's and AMD's new gpu's when they release this year.

gWPxGEf.png

If PC players choose to play the games you listed, so what? Do they not have access or the choice to play other games as well? Isn't that the beauty of having choice?

sendit

If you look at steam surveys, how does the xb1 and ps4 stack up against these gpu's? No need to compare CPU's as we already know that can't even be compared to the Fisher Price, Jaguar chips. And many will be upgrading to Nvidia's and AMD's new gpu's when they release this year.

gWPxGEf.png

If PC players choose to play the games you listed, so what? Do they not have access or the choice to play other games as well? Isn't that the beauty of having choice?

Thanks for the data. As a 2080 TI owner, it makes me feel better about my self esteem knowing that I have a GPU that is more capable than ~95% of people that use Steam.

If you look at steam surveys, how does the xb1 and ps4 stack up against these gpu's?
X1X is about a 1060, PS4 Pro is about a 1050. Some of the cards on that list are obviously significantly faster, but many are way slower as well. Steam 's userbase it also likely to skew more towards the hardcore side of PC gaming, since they do offer a lot of games that actually require decent hardware.

But what most people don't get is that most PC gamers don't use Steam at all. League of Legends is just one game, but it has more monthly active users than all of Steam, and that's not even the biggest, most popular PC game out there. Crossfire has 240 million monthly active users, that's not only more than Steam and League of Legends combined, but more than both consoles sold this gen. Both of these games run on toasters, and the average player's hardware would no doubt reflect that.

Not sure what point you're trying to make here.

93xfan

Banned
If you think that PS4 and Xbox One games look like PS2 games, your'e a PC Master....

If you can understand that PC and consoles both have their pros and cons.... Your are normal gamer. Congrats!

they do. PC has weaknesses compared to consoles and vice versa.

X1X is about a 1060, PS4 Pro is about a 1050. Some of the cards on that list are obviously significantly faster, but many are way slower as well. Steam 's userbase it also likely to skew more towards the hardcore side of PC gaming, since they do offer a lot of games that actually require decent hardware.

But what most people don't get is that most PC gamers don't use Steam at all. League of Legends is just one game, but it has more monthly active users than all of Steam, and that's not even the biggest, most popular PC game out there. Crossfire has 240 million monthly active users, that's not only more than Steam and League of Legends combined, but more than both consoles sold this gen. Both of these games run on toasters, and the average player's hardware would no doubt reflect that.

Not sure what point you're trying to make here.
Does everyone who bought a xb1 or ps4, have an x1x or a ps4 pro now? Didn't think so.

The 1060 is more powerful than the x1x.

For the purpose of gaming, the majority of those gpu's are stronger than the current consoles.

Not sure why you are bringing up casual people that have a computer that just so happens to run a game, vs a PC gamer. They are not the same.

I've never met or heard of a PC gamer that doesn't have steam installed. Everything else you wrote doesn't bring up a point, and is irrelevant.

The point still remains, the majority of those GPU's beat consoles in sheer power. Especially when you compare people who buy the same games that are on console. The average gaming PC has much better performance, which was my original point.

Not sure why you are bringing up casual people that have a computer that just so happens to run a game, vs a PC gamer. They are not the same.
People who game on PC are PC gamers, no matter what hardware they have. Hardware also has no bearing on whether you're "casual" or not. Someone who invests hundreds of hours into League or Crossfire is not a casual gamer just because they're running the game on their 8 year-old Dell laptop.

I've never met or heard of a PC gamer that doesn't have steam installed.
North America and Europe aren't the world. The biggest market for PC gaming is in Asia, and Steam isn't really much of a player there. There are hundreds of millions of PC gamers in China alone who don't use Steam.

The point still remains, the majority of those GPU's beat consoles in sheer power. Especially when you compare people who buy the same games that are on console.
Yes, but most PC gamers don't have those GPUs, and they're not buying PC releases of console games.

The average gaming PC has much better performance, which was my original point.
That's not quite what you said, though. You said the majority of PC gamers have PCs with much better specs than consoles. That's not the same thing.

To be PC master race on gaf you have to do two things:

1. Lie like fuck about the specs of your PC. The bigger the lie the better. Be sure to brag about your £3k GPU to play console games from 2008 on.

2. Enter every thread that is discussing console technology and remind everyone in the thread that the new technology is ACKSHUALLY really old on PC and you've been there and done that.

Wow thread turned out better than expected. Thanks GAF.

So I am convinced I will be PC Master Race' and console peasant at the same time.

Am in process of getting PC, its not even delivered yet. Can't wait to get into Disco Elysium and Witcher 3 after hearing so much about them.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So GAF, I was wondering if I could proudly attach the coveted tag 'PC Master Race', if my PC specs read like

Ryzen 5, GTX 1660ti, 8 gb ram etc. (Laptop actually).

I am not talking about next gen systems either. Comparing to current gen 'enhanced consoles'.

The thing is if I can't, it basically means we have far fewer no of members of this race than previously thought. Steam hardware survey suggests less than 10% of pc gaming population.

What do we call rest of 90%? PC peasants? Sounds dumb.

Also not to mention, when next gen arrives even, hardcore members of this race will be stripped of the previledge. If Nvidia fails to launch GTX 3080 in timely fashion or if you got a bit late in upgrading.

So you will be changing from 'PC Master Race' to 'PC Peasants' to 'PC Master Race' again. How dumb is that? You will have your race changed depending on market conditions. I think gamers didn't think this through.

Help me solve this paradox GAF.
The vast majority of PC users are on the GTX 1060. I'm on 1070ti. 1660 is not quite as good as the 1070ti. However, I feel a lot of games play best on PC. Mainly because the CPU's in our PC's easily thwart anything the mid-gen consoles have.

1080p 144 fps high to ultra settings > 4k 30fps high settings any day of the week. There is just no comparison. Play GTA V on your PC, then play it on your console. Play Apex on your PC, then your console. Play Control on your PC, then your console.

Report back after you've vomited all over your controllers.

Dargor

PC master race is a state of mind OP, it doesnt matter your pc specs, heck, you dont even need one.

There are only two things you need to do: compare the latest tech released with consoles, no matter how new or old they are, and never, ever, forget to clock in your port begging hours (the last one can get your master race club card revoked real easy).

Soodanim

Gold Member
Wow thread turned out better than expected. Thanks GAF.

So I am convinced I will be PC Master Race' and console peasant at the same time.

Am in process of getting PC, its not even delivered yet. Can't wait to get into Disco Elysium and Witcher 3 after hearing so much about them.
Are you familiar with the phrase “Jack of all trades, master of none”?

For PC, it’s “Jack of all trades, master of the ones you can pay for”.

For console, it’s “Picked one trade from birth and devoted his entire life to that”.

To put it another way, I’ll use my current setup:
TV (60hz)
Monitor (144hz, G-Sync)
Monitor (60hz)
Stereo speakers (Optical connection to TV)
USB DAC (PC headphone output)
PC (connected to all three displays)
Consoles (connected to TV)
Steam controller
DS4

If I want to play on PC, I can sit at the desk and play on the 144hz G-Sync with something also playing or open on the second monitor if desired, playing with M+KB or controller depending on game or preference. The sound is through headphones, but that’s by my own design and not a limitation.

Or I can decide to play on the TV, trading framerate and potentially smoothness for comfort and sound. Making this happen means changing my primary display to the TV and changing my sound output to the TV to match, because these are still programs running in Windows. And if there’s some sort of error? I need to get up, go to the M+KB, configure and maybe test, then if or when it’s fixed (and it’s not always when), go back to comfort. Thankfully modern games tend to involve a lot less of the problems. PC’s greatness is limited by your bank balance, space and plug sockets, but also your patience.

So what about consoles? I’m trading the wealth of options, and perhaps more importantly the problems that come with them, for convenience. Less goes wrong when there’s less options. Play a game and know it’s not going to throw up a C++ redistributable error, or buy a new one without going to PC Gaming Wiki to see what the recommended or essential fixes are. You can also get the things PC hasn’t properly implemented yet, like HDR colour.

Or maybe I want to just watch a Blu-Ray. That’s fine, I can skip the controller entirely and control the console with the remote thanks to HDMI. Convenience wins again.

My setup also lacks HDMI 2.1, too. That adds Variable Refresh Rates and 1080p 120hz to TVs, which gives consoles technology previously only available to PC users.

Let’s run a final scenario. You want to buy GTA Vice City on PC. Excellent, you got it in a Steam sale for $2. You boot it up, and it doesn’t run in modern resolutions. You play anyway, but the widescreen is messed up so you can’t aim, and it doesn’t support modern controllers properly. You settle for mouse and keyboard, get on that first moped and Billie Jean doesn’t play because they patched a bunch of songs out. You drive around anyway, and you notice there’s effects missing from the console versions you remember. It doesn’t quite feel the same.

You’re about to give up when you check Steam’s Guides section. You realise that over all these years since the game’s release, the community has been making fixes and patches. Some of these people even went so far as to curate collections of the best mods and make simple to install packages and instructions for people who don’t know what they’re doing or want to find out how. Now you have a Vice City that plays exactly how it did on consoles, with all the music and effects you remember. Except now it runs at 4k60fps with perfect image quality, and you’re playing on your preferred controller.

If there’s a PC Master Race, it’s the community.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

no need..its fine even if your pc specs is only consist of old pentium processor with no graphics card

you immediately one of them once you called others console users as 'peasant'

joke aside...you should never care about that term..it originally a joke or sarcasm/satire but some people or community take it seriously..
just own any platform you prefer and enjoy gaming

Last edited:

Rat Rage

PC Master Race people are the ones who spend thousands of dollars on PC equipment and then go on the internet to let everyone know how - obviously - better their thousands of dollar expensive PC equipment is compared to a few hundred dollar expensive console hardware, all while feeling particularily "cool" and "superior".

Probably has something to do with trying to compensate for having small dicks.

Psykodad

Banned
Sure, you're allowed to brag about someone else's specs because PC is just a single platform.
Therefor you could argue that PC is always high-end superduper elite.

Last edited:

Caffeine

ryzen 5 is better then a jaguar cpu, and the 1660ti is 11 TOPS (5.5 TFLOPS FP32 + 5.5 TFLOPS INT32) which is marginally better then the on chip xbox one x gpu if your seeing something else is console optimizations doing work(edit). ur only lacking in ram throw some more ram in there.

Last edited:

Mhmmm 2077

Not like it matters, but the PCMR thing is, that you simply admit that PC is superior to console in every aspect, doesn't matter if you can afford the best parts available or not.

Top Bottom