• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do all Xbox Series X/S controllers have issues with sticky right trigger?

Gamezone

Gold Member
I own four of these controller, and they all seriously have a sticky right trigger while playing racing games, or games that'll require me to press down the right trigger for a while. I had this problem when the controller first was released, so I bought the Sonic blue and green controller thinking that the problem was gone, but nope.

Tschumi

I own four of these controller, and they all seriously have a sticky right trigger while playing racing games, or games that'll require me to press down the right trigger for a while. I had this problem when the controller first was released, so I bought the Sonic blue and green controller thinking that the problem was gone, but nope.
I get mine tomorrow i guess I'll let you know!

SteadyEvo

My sonic blue died and I had to exchange a Forza remote cause it didn’t rumble. The red, yellow and white are holding up.

There’s a very small strip of rubber that keeps it from clicking against the plastic, if it comes loose the glue underneath will cause the trigger to stick. I had it a few days ago (likely from playing a lot of Forza) and all I had to do was remove the side panel, take off the remainder of the rubber with a pair of tweezers and then clean off the glue with alcohol and a q-tip.

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
Mine just started this seemingly recently. I have to press it on the first right-edge of the button for it to work.

Gamezone

Gold Member
There’s a very small strip of rubber that keeps it from clicking against the plastic, if it comes loose the glue underneath will cause the trigger to stick. I had it a few days ago (likely from playing a lot of Forza) and all I had to do was remove the side panel, take off the remainder of the rubber with a pair of tweezers and then clean off the glue with alcohol and a q-tip.

I suppose the rubber fell off on some of my controllers, because it's not sticking anymore, just clicking a lot louder.

The fun part is that the Reddit post is pretty old, and it's still a problem with brand new controllers.

Last edited:
I suppose the rubber fell off on some of my controllers, because it's not sticking anymore, just clicking a lot louder.

The fun part is that the Reddit post is pretty old, and it's still a problem with brand new controllers.

It is pretty much the same as the old controller except with an extra button. Considering the glue will wear off eventually, they probably looked at it as an issue that would fix itself if it popped up. Personally I’d be perfectly happy if they ditched the rubber altogether and just left it with the extra clicking noise, they’re already pretty loud with the rumble.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
One of my newest Series controllers has a sticky trigger not 2 months old.

Not at all and i AFK leeched for hours and hours in Forza Horizon 5. No problem.

I can’t figure out my cars weird behavior doing this.

When I go for a run I will let mine afk for 10 laps and using the same cars on the same tracks sometimes they run perfectly and sometimes they crash on the second lap and won’t reset.

My favorite 2 cars to do this are the Sesto FE and the Apollo but the Sesto seems more reliable.

I have turned some 9:10 laps in dry conditions but the most reliable lately seems to be running DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong insane grips on stormy tracks though the lap times drop to about 10:00

One of my newest Series controllers has a sticky trigger not 2 months old.

I can’t figure out my cars weird behavior doing this.

When I go for a run I will let mine afk for 10 laps and using the same cars on the same tracks sometimes they run perfectly and sometimes they crash on the second lap and won’t reset.

My favorite 2 cars to do this are the Sesto FE and the Apollo but the Sesto seems more reliable.

I have turned some 9:10 laps in dry conditions but the most reliable lately seems to be running DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong insane grips on stormy tracks though the lap times drop to about 10:00
Doing Goliath runs with the Sesto FE. No problems. I think i did 80-100 laps without a single crash on Series S. You just need a specific tuning (code 100 776 242 works perfectly for me). Making 21 mastery points per lap + lots of XP.

dem

I had this on the controller that came with the Series X. The foam stopper thing is garbage.

Then on the other Series X controller I have, the left stick got flakey and wouldn’t register half the time I pushed down.

I barely even play the thing. Build quality is absolute garbage. You’d think they would have perfected this thing by now.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I’ll probably jinx it now but it hasn’t happened once for me and I’ve played a ton of FH4 (and now FH5) since launch.

But I had PS4 a whole gen and just barely had the rubber start peeling off the sticks. Maybe I don’t use enough force or something?

Switch joycon drifting though… Yeah, that happened 😕

Last edited:
I haven’t had this problem with either of my Series controllers. This did happen to one of my Xbone controllers before. The right trigger stuck. Got tired of it and opened it up. The triggers use small magnets that are supposed to be kept in place by a piece of plastic. The magnet in mine had gotten dislodged from said casing and I had to reinsert it, but then it worked fine again.

I would bet it works the same on the new controllers but the casing for the magnet is probably different because the triggers are significantly smaller than X1. So I guess it’s up to you if you wanna bother opening the controller(s) to attempt to fix the issue.

Shut0wen

I have a series s controller that came with the console and a series x controller which i brought 6 months ago and hobestly the series s one has no issues while series x has a sticky A button for skme reason

kingwingin

I had an elite controller that had a sticky trigger. Some foam pad or something got lodged where it shouldn't have been.

Top Bottom