• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

District 9, Elysium Director Neill Blomkamp Now Working on AAA Shooter Off The Grid

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Neill Blomkamp is working on a AAA game now that he’s joined the relatively new developer Gunzilla Games as the studio’s Chief Visionary Officer. With that title, he says he’ll take on responsibilities not unlike those of a movie’s director, a position he’s well acquainted with since he directed District 9, Chappie, Elysium, and the upcoming District 10 movie. Blomkamp’s addition adds to Gunzilla’s already diverse members with credits both in and out of gaming.

Blomkamp, however, has never made a game before. He directed the live-action Anthem: Conviction which was set in the universe of the game Anthem, but this role is a new one to him. As such, he told IGN he’ll be working with other senior members of the creative team to make sure the plans for the AAA shooter play out as hoped.

“The difference [from directing a film] is not acting like a single point that guides the creative team,” Blomkamp told IGN. “It's making sure that you're integrated into the team in a real way. I can come in with a very definitive point of view, but it has to work on two levels. It has to be accepted by the greater team as the right creative direction to go in. And it also has to be, first and foremost, something that can integrate into the architecture of gameplay in a way that's beneficial to the game.”

Gunzilla itself was formed last year with its team members boasting credits from different games and franchises. It’s helmed by Crytek investor Alexander Zoll and Gunzilla CEO Vlad Korolev with team members who worked on things like Assassin’s Creed, Need for Speed, and more.

As for the game the studio and now Blomkamp will be working on, not much is known about it at all. We know based on an announcement from May that the game will use the Unreal Engine to prop up its gameplay and that it’ll be a shooter. Richard K. Morgan, the author of the Altered Carbon series and worked on Crysis 2 and more in the past, is also working on the game.

Thanks mods for the title change

Happy Pumped Up GIF by AT&T

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Could be good, I hope he surrounds himself with great game devs though, he needs them to guide him in whats feasabley achievable but also, maybe more importantly, whats important to make a good game. Which will change depending on the genre/focus of the game.

I really enjoyed Richard K. Morgan's "A Land Fit For Heroes" series, I wasn't quite prepared for the in depth nature of the gay sex scenes (Well, they were between a human guy and a sort of an otherworldly "alien guy", is that still "gay"🤔) in it, and it was in audiobook form so that made it kind of awkward for my flatmates as I listened to in the kitchen while I did the washing up.

JLB

Banned
District 9 is one of my fav movies of all time, not sure why I like it so much tbh lol.
So im very very interested on this.

Last edited:

Excess

Is that a bad thing? That franchise is dead.

In Covenant there literally was a line (the flute scene, which was so bad already) "you blow, I'll do the fingering".

I'm a fan of Prometheus, but because so many complained about the plot holes, 20th Century thought that turning the sequel into an "alien" film was the solution. Far from it, so don't get me started, other than to say that the character of David and the themes of sexuality and narcissism were still ever-present, especially in that scene: David is essentially blowing himself.

Oh dude, plans for that movie went kaput like 3 years ago. I think Alien Covenant was the final nail in the coffin.
Don't mean to derail, because this isn't an Aliens topic thread, but I was under the impression that both Covenant and Blokamp's were in production at the same time. Oh well, wasn't really looking forward to a retcon, anyway.

carlosrox

Banned
Holy shit yes.

Dude has a clear vision for this kind of stuff.
I'm all over this.

As much as I've always thought he'd be great for games I am dying to see him do Alien 5 and a Robocop reboot.

Oh and District 10 is actually happening??

carlosrox

Banned
D9 was easily his best, Elysium was pretty good, and while not a perfect movie I still really enjoyed Chappie.

Either way the dude makes stuff that is missing from movies today, has a great artistic eye, and is keeping the flame of stuff like Robocop alive so that's more than fine by me.

I'm definitely a Blomkamp fan.

mortal

Gold Member
A shooter? Eh, I guess.

He's particularly great at world-building so hopefully that permeates in whatever this results in.

Get Aaron Beck onboard for the mechanical design as well, that would be a bonus.

Don't mean to derail, because this isn't an Aliens topic thread, but I was under the impression that both Covenant and Blokamp's were in production at the same time. Oh well, wasn't really looking forward to a retcon, anyway.
From what I remember, Blomkamp's Alien was in pre-production (i.e. concept art and working on the script), but it was put on hold once Covenant's production was fully underway. After Covenant's poor reception, they never went back to it. And now Alien is owned by Disney so it's probably better for the franchise to rest in peace.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm interested. Has another film director taken on a creative role as integrated as this? The only one I can think of was Guillermo del Toro but both games he was involved with in a high profile manner were cancelled. Insane and Silent Hills.

Well that's a surprise

giphy.gif

I enjoyed all of his movies, some great moments and characters mixed with some b-grade stuff. Perfect to ham it up and get some action going too.

I love District 9, but I absolutely hate Chappie. What a terrible movie. Like, I really, really hated it. Elysium was okay.

So I'm not too confident in this guy.
Yup. Same.

This guy is a one-hit wonder as far as I'm concerned until he proves me otherwise.

I'm a huge fan of D9, and have been waiting for him to return with something as good, but hes disappointed me at every given opportunity since then.

To say I'm excited for his aesthetics in the game would be a lie, because his aesthetics are literally just Guerilla Games in real life, and well, if he's going gaming, what's new then?

But we'll see. I'm still hoping he turns over and actually becomes the great creative vision he was heralded to be after D9, but I wont hold my breathe if he never does.

CamHostage

Teaser is up... very teasery so don't expect to be blown away, but lots of info is out on what the concept is.

Will be PC/PS5/Xbox Series, on Unreal Engine 5.

Seems like somehow it's got a single-player Campaign where you play missions inside maps where Multiplayer Battle Royale bouts are also going on?

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Does he own the Oats Studio stuff?
Game set in the Zygote universe please.
Zygote or Rakka could kick serious ass.

Zygote could lean more towards horror survival.
Really awesome concept and almost like The Thing (most amazing movie ever - LOL).

Whereas, if he's making a FPS, Rakka would be f'ing amazing.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Let him do his Aliens sequel instead
Unfortunately as long as grandpa Scott will be there it won't happen :(
He also directed a bunch of cool short movies.

I would like a shooter with enviroments like in his movie Zygote.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX

I remember seeing these short films, incredible. Also Rakka is fuckin amazing It's really well done and very inspired, and I'm convinced that Mister Blomkamp can do wonders in the video game industry!

PSA:
Everyone needs to watch this, as The Alien The Alien said a video game in one of those universe would kick serious ass:

Last edited:
Teaser is up... very teasery so don't expect to be blown away, but lots of info is out on what the concept is.

Will be PC/PS5/Xbox Series, on Unreal Engine 5.

Seems like somehow it's got a single-player Campaign where you play missions inside maps where Multiplayer Battle Royale bouts are also going on?

Aaaaand, i'm out...

Top Bottom