• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

District 9, Elysium Director Neill Blomkamp Now Working on AAA Shooter Off The Grid

Neilg

Chappie gets a metric ton of hate, I rather enjoyed it. I think it's his weakest film, but still entertaining and has has trademark "sci-fi grit" visual style.

yeah, conceptually it was good. I imagine some of the issues were directly caused by working with ninja from die antwoord. he was already known as a piece of shit but blomkamp said he was beyond a nightmare. doesnt have one nice thing to say about the guy.

ultrazilla

Very, very interesting that Neil decided to go with Unreal Engine 5 when he was using/promoting Unity which was used to create his short sci-fi films like Rakka and Zygote.

094aa514c09b532df21df61700d63b4cd251e6e6.gifv

faa31ce46f66ce49a8fa951d802652d6345b8e45.gifv

tumblr_ot20jjupz41ut1d6co2_540.gif

giphy.gif

Mr Hyde

Used to love Neill Blomkamps movies. District 9 and Elysium were great, I have them on blu-ray and 4K, rewatching them constantly, but man he has shit the bed after that. Chappie was terrible and his new Demonic movie I don´t even think I wanna see. His short movies Rakka was awesome and I wish he released his Oats stuff physically in a sort of compilation, or at least turned Rakka into a full movie. This new game of his doesn´t sound like anything for me, a Cyberpunk Battle Royale? No thanks. Come on Neill, go back to being the old you and give us some more awesome heady sci fi movies.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Battle Royale 2.0 is a real thing.

Going to be a massive difference between the first wave of BR and the second wave, who will benefit from studying the greats as well as building on more advanced technology. This is one to keep an eye on.

Next gen is fast approaching.

That trailer was

giphy.gif

I dig it. Whether the game is any good is another story. Solid music choice for the end of the trailer, solid art, character, like the jungle vs city vibe too.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Off The Grid is a cyberpunk shooter from the mind of District 9 director Neil Blomkamp, and viewers received a cinematic sneak peek of the game's universe during the Future Games Show at Gamescom 2022. Off The Grid is due for release in 2023 on PS5, Xbox Series X|S and PC. Make sure to check out the Gunzilla Games booth at Gamescom and follow the game’s social channels for the latest updates - oh, and while you’re at it, keep an eye out for Part 2 of the episode you’ve just seen

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Off the Grid is a new story-focused battle royale game from director Neill Blomkamp (District 9, Elysium) and writer Richard K. Morgan (Altered Carbon, Crysis).

150 players engage in PVP battles and PVE story missions, all of which contribute to a dynamic narrative experience.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the first full episode of Off The Grid Cinema, giving us our first taste of the world of the dystopian battle royale shooter and directed by District 9 creator, Neill Blomkamp.

Off The Grid is an upcoming cyberpunk Battle Royale multiplayer shooter game from Neill Blomkamp (District 9, Elysium) and Script Writer Richard K. Morgan (Altered Carbon, Crysis). Set on a dystopian tropical island, 150 players fight each other in PvP skirmishes, as well as PvE storyline missions using the same map inhabited by other players in real-time. In the game, you shape the story and the gameplay.

Run-M-Run

Battle royale? Blah. This guy could direct a really good single player scifi shooter for sure. I mean his movies are quite videogamey already (esp. elysium). But a battle royale? Mass multiplayer? Pass.

YuLY

I give it two months until its forgotten, Radical Heights style. BRs are done, the big 3 (Fortnite, Warzone,Apex) occupy too much mindshare and their constant seasons/battlepases make sure people dont take pauses to try other stuff. Another incoming DOA gaas trash.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
The video game industry is in desperate need of "the next big thing". Like YuLY YuLY Just said, the big 3 BRs haven't left enough market for others to succeed like they have. Survival-crafting was "the big thing" before that. Open World Games are running out of themes to hang the Ubisoft gameplay formula over.

Good thing indies and AA (and the odd AAA that takes risks) exist to provide variety. but we need another breakthrough genre for AAA to latch onto ASAP

Fbh

Has this guy done anything worthwhile since District 9.

Either way this seems like a lot of effort for another BR that's probably going to get shut down within a year of releasing

YuLY

The video game industry is in desperate need of "the next big thing". Like YuLY YuLY Just said, the big 3 BRs haven't left enough market for others to succeed like they have. Survival-crafting was "the big thing" before that. Open World Games are running out of themes to hang the Ubisoft gameplay formula over.
Yep, pretty much. Some say that extraction multiplayer games are the next thing, the ones in the vein of Tarkov. But I just dont think there is enough there for mass market, seems more like a niche, its not something that the usual console gamer can pick up and play without investing either a lot of time or a lot of money.

This game has no chance, at least you could latch unto it if it also had a campaign and maybe say you get it at a decent sale and remain with an ok campaign to replay down the years once the multiplayer servers are inevitably closed, but to invest money in skins/battlepases for a game that might die in a few month ? nah. Btw when I mean die I mean most of the playerbase gone, not just when servers are closed, although that would follow soon after.

Last edited:
How about making the fucking sequel to District 9, been waiting 14 years...
Bro how long you think interstellar travel is for that hideous space monster friend of Wikus's? (Was that the name?) -- it's gon' be a minute to make that roundtrip commute. (I may also be misremembering how that movie even ended)

Actual alien buddy went off on a space journey and Wikus got transformed into a space monster and is sticking it out on earth eating out of dumpsters maybe?

RoboCain

I would had prefered something like a series of short sci-fi games kind of like he did with Oath Studios. Working for a random studio on yet another sci-fi military shooter seems to be a waste.

I don't get why a guy with a big name like this can't just start his own stuff.

Last edited:

RoboCain

yeah, conceptually it was good. I imagine some of the issues were directly caused by working with ninja from die antwoord. he was already known as a piece of shit but blomkamp said he was beyond a nightmare. doesnt have one nice thing to say about the guy.
Do you have a link? I love this movie and would like to see more of the making of. Also, DA is a duo: Ninja and Yolandi.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Looks good and bad at the same time. Definitely need a lot more polish, but it certainly has potential to be a fun game.

Yeah. A lot of the jumping, gliding, and grapple hooking looks pretty janky. Like the character is moving too slow or something. Hopefully they polish this up and we see it in 2024. I guess it's a little worrying they felt it was ready for promotional material. Everything else looks good enough.

Top Bottom