• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dispelling the lies about Jim Ryan

Topher

Gold Member
Can we get a Jim Ryan OT now please......

just kidding jk GIF

Jim Ryan was the butt of jokes long before he became CEO of SIE. But it was ok. We would just laugh him off. He's that family member you just roll your eyes at, but you love him cuz he's family.

But now he is head of the family and it isn't funny any more. Now he is throwing up softballs for MS and Phil Spencer to smash. Who closes down legacy servers and allows the competition to trumpet their "games preservation" in response? Who reveals a Spider-Man game and talks up "generations" only to later reveal the game is cross-gen? Who "restructures" a studio like Japan Studio and then lets it bleed to death with a constant flow of "last day" announcements on Twitter from the talent that used to work there. Finally, who is so out of touch with the gaming public that he thinks revealing the damn PS5 logo is worth an event?

Yeah....he gave away a lot of games. Giving away shit is easy, but it isn't going to last. Bottom line: is Jim Ryan really the best Sony can do for PlayStation? I certainly don't think he is.

Last edited:

ZehDon

You could help, since apparently you can type...
Help a thread whose sole purpose is fellating a multi-millionaire CEO to fuel console wars? Sorry, this thread was a lost cause from the OP onward. This is shit-posting thread now. We can try again in another thread :)

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Imagine defending an executive of a corporation.

Jim Ryan isn't disliked by some because of "lies." He's disliked because he approaches interviews not unlike some of the worst smack-talking call of duty kids. If you look at his quotes in most articles about him, they're are either controversy or non-answers. The press doesn't even need to cherry-pick for clicks with him as they usually do, because that's nearly all he says publicly.

Last edited:

Keihart

Using bold on your font doesn't make your OP better you know? it's like shouting and expecting to be more eloquent.

Also
suck my dick GIF

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The same people complaining that Sony should have concentrated fully on the PS5 and ignored the PS4 are the same one shrieking loudest about the closure of the Vita and PS3 store. So you want Sony to support two gens ago but not last gen 🤔🤔🤔🤔 Anyone who has a Vita or PS3 (myself included) has already stripped them for the games we want. I doubt anyone new is coming in. Is it shit? Yes. Would I like more of an effort to incorporate BC into the PS5? Yes. Sony have behaved the same way to prior gens before Jim Ryan took over. Nothing has changed unfortunately.

There is alot of concern trolling in GAF at the moment. If we could ban threads about Jim Ryan along with all Gamepass is awesome/doomed threads for a week maybe we could get rid of alot of the shit on the board.

Dav-Kripler

Remind me... What is a 'scape goat' ? 🤔
Honestly, I don't know if it's fair to pile on JR like so many threads do, but someone made the choice to kill ps3 and vita ...
dean winchester GIF

I don't have any opinion about Ryan as an individual, but until Sony implements backwards compatibility for at the very least PS1, PS2, and PSP I'll be dissatisfied and the buck stops with him. I guess a AAA first party RPG would work too.

CAB_Life

I'm sure Jim Ryan appreciates your defense of his virtue while riding his golden horse and shooting the last remaining ostriches during his 1% safaris.

Threads like this just feel like the OP is having a meltdown, but trying to rationalize it.

tillbot8

Banned
The idea that these people are anything other then corporate suits who's sole purpose is to maximise revenue and keep shareholders happy amuses me. SIE would happily turn into a mobile only platform if they had a crystal ball to tell them it would increase profits beyond what they make now! Sometimes good decisions are made that benefit us other times bad decisions are made in our perspective. To them its just business!

Last edited:
Imagine putting the time in to go to bat for a multi-millionaire CEO of a gaming company

Posts defending and praising a corporate leader, comes across just as much cringe as those that bash them.

Imagine defending an executive of a corporation.

Yeah OP, what's this rational analysis bullshit? Just assume your role as consumer NPC and shriek at the manager until he gives you free shit or something.

EDIT: In regards to your point about porting exclusives to PC. Yes the experience for Playstation users won't change, however it does reduce the value of their console.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Jim Ryan is trending in the internet more than gamepass!
Now that is funny! For both the “teams”

MHubert

We have Jim lawyers now? Wow. This console wars is almost Exterminator movie level.
If it makes someone a 'Jim lawyer' when you are fed up about fake narratives and the usual doom bullshit, then I'll gladly take that title.

yurinka

I think there are too much threads about Ryan, but I agree the OP.

I'd add that regarding Sony's support to the Japanese game development, that some people acts as if downsizing Japan Studio, Sony was going to stop getting Japanese games as if they weren't going to continue getting games from the Japan Studio/Team Asobi, Polyphony Digital, their Japanese 2nd party partners and Japanese 3rd party exclusives. In addition to the announced upcoming Japanese exclusives (like Final Fantasy VII Ep 2, FF XVI, Guilty Gear Strive, Babylon's Fall, Project Awakening and so on) remember that any moderately well known Japanese publisher or dev, big or small, made at least one PS4 exclusive so it's pretty likely that they will continue doing it specially if as some of these publishers announced, want to switch their strategy from a Japan-only focus to a more global appeal focus.

One of them is Kadokawa (who owns like half a dozen publishers and several developers like From Software), who made the 3 ways deal with Sony and CyGames and gave 2% of their company to Sony and 2% to CyGames in exchange for asking them to bring their games to a more global market.

OP: here’s the guy you’re going to bat for:

“That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

-Jim Ryan
You may not like that, but it's true. To have PS1+PS2 BC would be a great plus, but Gran Turismo fans today play GT Sport, PS mini wasn't a success and people isn't playing these games where available. There are more PS2 games available on PS4+PS5 than Xbox OG are available in XBO+XBSX/XBSS and people don't care about them.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
i dont give a fuck about ceos,but the hiperbole that surrounds this guy is ridiculous,its pretty clear its a mix of xtards,sony crazy sony fans and weeabos ,the demonisation of this guy is as stupid as the cult of spencer

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Can’t wait till Sony announced full backwards compatibility and extend the PS3 store and announce more exclusives you can trust (God of War 2, Horizon 2 etc.)
bill goldberg mic drop GIF by WWE

Interfectum

#6 THE SHOW GOING TO THE BOX IS PROOF THAT RYAN IS A SHITHEAD AND TERRIBLE PRESIDENT (Sign my petition)

No, it's proof the MLB (Major League Baseball) screwed Sony's studio and basically forced them to go Multi-plat, it's not even published by Sony on the Box, but the MLB. MS was brilliant to put it on Gamepass though lol X

I think this is key here...

MLB on Game Pass doesn't really show how much of a fuckup Jim Ryan is, it shows how savvy the Xbox team is being. No matter how much Phil says Sony isn't their competition this is a direct stab at the chest from Xbox to Playstation. In doing this, it shows how absurdly high game prices are versus being on a platform with a GP subscription. It shines a spotlight on why people should use Game Pass. Brilliant move on team Xbox's part IMO.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sorry OP but I couldnt finish reading your post. Utterly awful formatting. Who wants to read entire paragraphs in bold? Like wtf.

And a lot of your post is straight up damage control. His comments on believing in generations sent a lot of hate towards Phil Spencer who had just gone on record supporting cross gen games. He knows what he was doing. He was trying to score some free points by lying.

And Japan moving away from gaming doesnt mean every Japan studio has to be shut down. Should we shut down Platinum Games? From Software? Capcom? Japanese games are popular than EVER in western regions. From Software is more popular than ever. RE sells more than they ever have. DMCV was the fastest selling DMC game. What Sony is doing is in common with Konami. They have turned into fucking Konami. That is how bad things have gotten.

And lastly, Sony releasing games on PC and Xbox hurts PS5 gamers because they no longer get the best version of the game they could if the devs had to focus on one platform. MLB The Show is literally the only sports game that comes with zero visual enhancements that take advantage of next gen hardware because San Diego studio, a tiny studio had to make 4 different versions for xbox alone. Horizon has likely been delayed because GG spent the last six months fixing the PC version of Horizon. How did this not affect PS gamers?

I dont think the guy needs to be blamed for everything, but the buck stops with him.

MLB on Game Pass doesn't really show how much of a fuckup Jim Ryan is, it shows how savvy the Xbox team is being. No matter how much Phil says Sony isn't their competition this is a direct stab at the chest from Xbox to Playstation. In doing this, it shows how absurdly high game prices are versus being on a platform with a GP subscription. It shines a spotlight on why people should use Game Pass. Brilliant move on team Xbox's part IMO.

It also shows how inept and dumb this CEO really is to get outmanuvered like that. He shouldve seen it coming. Thats why CEOs get paid the big bucks. This is such a rookie level move to allow Phil to fuck him like that. Since Sony is the developer and the studio that did the port, they shouldve inserted some language in the contract preventing MLB from making deals like that with Microsoft. It's just business 101.

Last edited:
I never understand why some grown as men get so emotional over random businessmen. Jim Ryan isn't a hellspawn nor is he a savior for everything good. He's just a skilled businessman who wants to maximize profits for the company he represents. He's not making posts on Twitter about how much of a gamer he is. He's in board meetings, figuring out what to cut, what the expand, and what to look for in the next fiscal year. He operates with a group of businesspeople who share the same goals as him (to make money). Everything that happens is under his control but he doesn't make those decisions, the people around him do the research and then come to conclusions for him. He isn't going to kill PlayStation or anything stupid like that. He's just there to make investors and big wigs at Sony Corporate happy.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: LMJ

Flutta

Banned
All i see is them Xbox fanboys are desperate to see a Mattrick situation. 😂

This is whats gona happen, PS5 and Switch will dominating again this gen and Xbox will be a distant 3rd per usual. Just face the music already, all this crying about some suits wont change that.

Also stop worship corpo suits, espcially when they’re wearing a t-shirt that says ”Gamer” on it.

Last edited:

Interfectum

It also shows how inept and dumb this CEO really is to get outmanuvered like that. He shouldve seen it coming. Thats why CEOs get paid the big bucks. This is such a rookie level move to allow Phil to fuck him like that. Since Sony is the developer and the studio that did the port, they shouldve inserted some language in the contract preventing MLB from making deals like that with Microsoft. It's just business 101.
Oh no doubt but in Jim Ryan's defense there might have been nothing they could do to stop it once the plan for the game shifted to multiplatform.

In terms of their leadership skills there's no doubt Phil is running circles around him right now but Jim benefits from Playstation's amazing brand power. The PS5 is going to sell well regardless of what he does or does not do.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Going by past polls the majority still don’t want a subscription service on Playstation though. They want to own the games, they want to buy them. So even though there seems to be meltdowns everywhere it’s likely just a loud minority while the majority aren’t even aware of this or don’t care and just roll their eyes at all this noise.

But sure, MS struck gold here, they wouldn’t be able to get people talking this much about Gamepass without the help from outraged Sony fans.

Interfectum

Going by past polls the majority still don’t want a subscription service on Playstation though. They want to own the games, they want to buy them. So even though there seems to be meltdowns everywhere it’s likely just a loud minority while the majority aren’t even aware of this or don’t care and just roll their eyes at all this noise.

But sure, MS struck gold here, they wouldn’t be able to get people talking this much about Gamepass without the help from outraged Sony fans.
What polls? Twitter?

If Sony offered a Game Pass equivalent on PS5 that offered all of their PS4, PS5 and even upgraded legacy titles on a single service literally every Sony fan here would be fucking singing from the rooftops.

This "game ownership" bullshit is only to damage control until Sony comes up with something. You don't own any game you purchase on PS5, $70 or not.

Derktron

Banned
Damn you guys are annoying, it’s starting to get entertaining. This is why I got banned on ResetEra. Because I couldn’t keep my mouth shut, and just called out everyone who is as dramatic as you OP.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What polls? Twitter?

If Sony offered a Game Pass equivalent on PS5 that offered all of their PS4, PS5 and even upgraded legacy titles on a single service literally every Sony fan here would be fucking singing from the rooftops.

This "game ownership" bullshit is only to damage control until Sony comes up with something. You don't own any game you purchase on PS5, $70 or not.

Exactly and just wait for Sony to shut down the ps5 servers in 10 to 15 years and you kiss good bye to loads of games.

I'd rather just pay to play some games and if I'm going to trust any company its the one that let's me check my purchase history and see I have 360 games I can download still. Some I forgot I'd purchased.

Top Bottom