• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney+ Announcing New Marvel, Star Wars Movies and Shows Today (4 Hour Livestream)

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Dear god. I must be getting old. Hardly any of what was announced was appealing to me. Rogue Squadron sounds interesting, but everything else did nothing for me.

Dazraell

It's not like they had a great track record with everything after RotJ.

They surprised me in a positive way with Mandalorian, but I'd be happier if they took their little success the have now and expand more carefully, carefully nurturing that little plant that is Mando instead of doing the same mistakes they did before.

Not sure about Filoni and Favreau being able to sustain the quality they show now though all of these shows and movies.
If they are even involved.

Filoni and Favreau were mentioned only for Ahsoka and Rangers projects. They seems to have a plan for doing an interconnected story out of this three shows. It theoretically could show state of the post-RotJ era from a different perspectives, still giving main characters their own separate arcs and linking all of these stories in a single event which will unite them to fight with a common enemy (Thrawn perhaps?). Could be dope, provided if it will be done right. I'm still cautiously optimistic, but it seems like a way better idea than telling each of these stories within Mandalorian.

Filoni and Favreau were mentioned only for Ahsoka and Rangers projects. They seems to have a plan for doing an interconnected story out of this three shows. It theoretically could show state of the post-RotJ era from a different perspectives, still giving main characters their own separate arcs and linking all of these stories in a single event which will unite them to fight with a common enemy (Thrawn perhaps?). Could be dope, provided if it will be done right. I'm still cautiously optimistic, but it seems like a way better idea than telling each of these stories within Mandalorian.
Yep, that's true.
I mean, I was fond of the idea of that Ahsoka spin off (better than to have that Jedi stuff "polluting" the Mandalorian), and I am interested in what they were going for with Cara. I like that "Edge of the Empire" outer rim setting. And if Filoni and Favreau are at the helm, this might turn out really great.

I am just not that content that all these other hundred series might turn out that great.

We will see..

Look at all that trash

Less is more Disney..less will make you more $$ in the longrun

0pmhcznm7o011.png

Dazraell

Yep, that's true.
I mean, I was fond of the idea of that Ahsoka spin off (better than to have that Jedi stuff "polluting" the Mandalorian), and I am interested in what they were going for with Cara. I like that "Edge of the Empire" outer rim setting. And if Filoni and Favreau are at the helm, this might turn out really great.

I am just not that content that all these other hundred series might turn out that great.

We will see..

Agreed. With Mando they can still focus on his personal quests, Ahsoka can focus on her search for Thrawn and Rangers will probably be an ensemble show that would offer a more in-depth look at the state of the New Republic. I wouldn't be surprised if Cara will be one of few characters that will be a part of this series.

You're right, some of these projects seems like a very odd choices. I'm slowly warming up to the idea of the Cassian show, but I still feel wary about it as his character wasn't memorable to me in the slightest (unlike his droid) and I feel this era was exploited too much in recent years.

Few of them could be quite interesting though. The Acolyte sounds like a very cool idea. The show about a dark side user operating in the shadows, who is on the journey to become a Sith in a galaxy where Jedi are in their prime and they can become easily a target could serve as a setup for a really neat story.

The Bad Batch may feel like a weird idea for a show, but when you think about it, this may have a lot of cool possibilities. It seems to be set directly post-Order 66, so it could explore a lot of themes that weren't really estabilished before like what happened with clones after they served their purpose, how Order 66 has changed them or showing how characters from The Clone Wars transitioned from the war to a completely new reality under Empire. A trailer looks good.

sol_bad

Yep, that's true.

We will see..

The Caspian show interests me because as great as Rogue One is, it's character development is quite poor. The Caspian show might retroactively make Rogue One even better knowing more about him.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Caspian show interests me because as great as Rogue One is, it's character development is quite poor. The Caspian show might retroactively make Rogue One even better knowing more about him.

And the series is being done by the guy who directed the Rogue One reshoots.

Star Wars:
Mando S3 Next December
Rangers of the New Republic (show set at the same time as Mando, likely Cara Dune)
Ahsoka (all three above are Favreau/Filoni)
Andor (2022, now filming)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022, filming soon)
Lando
The Acolyte (High Republic series)
Rogue Squadron (next movie, dir Patty Jenkins)
Animation: A Droid's Tale, Bad Batch, and Visions

Marvel:
WandaVision Jan 15th
Falcon & Winter Soldier March 19th
Loki May
Black Widow May in theaters (HAH!)
Christian Bale is Gorr in Thor 4
Ant-Man 3 is titled Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Kang the Conquerer is the villain
Jon Watts is directing Fantastic Four
Marvel won't recast T'Challa, BP2 delayed to July 2022
Guardians 3 is 2023, a Guardians Holiday Special will be filmed during production for Christmas 2022
I Am Groot animated shorts with Baby Groot
Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye filming now then She Hulk and Moon Knight. Abomination (Tim Roth) returning in She Hulk.
New series announced: Secret Invasion, Ironheart, Armor Wars (War Machine series)

Thanks a lot for the summary, wasn´t aware Disney had an event planned.

Any news regarding the X-men franchise?

LucidFlux

Alien series as the spiritual successor to the first two movies and completely ignoring the rest... yes please!!!

I'm curious how that will work being set on earth between the first two films. My Aliens history may be rusty but there shouldn't be an alien specimen on earth at that time... unless Weyland had a specimen after the first movie, then lost it which is why they needed to create the colony in Aliens.

Susurrus

Star Wars:
Mando S3 Next December
Rangers of the New Republic (show set at the same time as Mando, likely Cara Dune)
Ahsoka (all three above are Favreau/Filoni)
Andor (2022, now filming)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022, filming soon)
Lando
The Acolyte (High Republic series)
Rogue Squadron (next movie, dir Patty Jenkins)
Animation: A Droid's Tale, Bad Batch, and Visions

Marvel:
WandaVision Jan 15th
Falcon & Winter Soldier March 19th
Loki May
Black Widow May in theaters (HAH!)
Christian Bale is Gorr in Thor 4
Ant-Man 3 is titled Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Kang the Conquerer is the villain
Jon Watts is directing Fantastic Four
Marvel won't recast T'Challa, BP2 delayed to July 2022
Guardians 3 is 2023, a Guardians Holiday Special will be filmed during production for Christmas 2022
I Am Groot animated shorts with Baby Groot
Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye filming now then She Hulk and Moon Knight. Abomination (Tim Roth) returning in She Hulk.
New series announced: Secret Invasion, Ironheart, Armor Wars (War Machine series)

Much appreciated. You're the real MVP. Enjoy gold for a bit.

Last edited:
I thought it all looked great, it was like Comic Con in an investor call. Insane.

The Star Wars stuff all sounds good, excited to see the Mando/Ahsoka/Rangers crossover event. At least we know all of these should still capture the "OT+" look we've seen in The Mandalorian.

The rest of them look good too! I am excited to consoooooom.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It’s so funny they announced 10 Star Wars shows and none of them take place during or after the sequel trilogy. Just lol.

Also where is Rian Johnson’s trilogy that is definitely happening? They announced 10 Star Wars and that wasn’t any of them.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I will check out all the new SW stuff, because I have a problem that involves loving star wars, and convincing myself there will be good star wars movies again. The Rogue Squadron should be a great opportunity to do something amazing or fun. I just want them to stop with the Force is Female garbage. Imagine if I had a slogan about how the force is manly, it wouldn't fly. Just make good movies and shows without trying to shoehorn some agenda.

Dunki

As someone who loved watching the MCU. I can not give any shit about this at all. For me the MCU died with Endgame.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Taika Waititi... Man do you think they would let him do Knights of the Old Republic, or something in that timeline? After Thor Ragnarok and Jojo Rabbit I am hyped for anything he does.

Top Bottom