• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney+ Announcing New Marvel, Star Wars Movies and Shows Today (4 Hour Livestream)

iconmaster

Banned
Eo6c33xXMAES809

Well that is certainly worse than I imagined.

O-N-E

So is Kathleen Kennedy's strategy to just fund a bunch of different shit and see what sticks?

That's uh... interesting.

Mahadev

So they're milking capeshit and every franchise they own. Thanks but not thanks, I'm not interested in paying money to watch fucking Disney ruin franchises I used to respect. The Alien one seems extra insulting because you know these woke Disney morons are gonna butcher Ripley and make her an obnoxious dumbfuck that has the character equivalent of a rice cake.

Last edited:

sol_bad

So they're milking capeshit and every franchise they own. Thanks but not thanks, I'm not interested in paying money to watch fucking Disney ruin franchises I used to respect. The Alien one seems extra insulting because you know these woke Disney morons are gonna butcher Ripley and make her an obnoxious dumbfuck that has the character equivalent of a rice cake.

lol
Exit is that way.
:)

oagboghi2

love your analysis based on a picture of some logos lmao
they are going to run this into the ground.

Serious question, why not just combine all of these different storylines into one show ala Game of Thrones. Why release 6 series?

Nothing wrong with producing things for mass consumption but if you want to cry about it and be a hipster go for it.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: Peak consumer

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
If they won't replace Chadwick it means we're not getting any new black panther releases? Won't show up in any other movies as well?

dagZ

they are going to run this into the ground.

Serious question, why not just combine all of these different storylines into one show ala Game of Thrones. Why release 6 series?

:messenger_tears_of_joy: Peak consumer

if you combined it into one show, you wouldn't have any time to full expand on any of the ideas or story archs. it's better this way.. people just need to take these lightly like the mandolorian and just enjoy watching them each week. If you didnt like a show, or episode, it wont be the end of the world.

Dacon

Banned

How dare you not CONSOOM

ManaByte

Is there a summary for someone who doesn't have 4 hours to watch the announcement?

Star Wars:
Mando S3 Next December
Rangers of the New Republic (show set at the same time as Mando, likely Cara Dune)
Ahsoka (all three above are Favreau/Filoni)
Andor (2022, now filming)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022, filming soon)
Lando
The Acolyte (High Republic series)
Rogue Squadron (next movie, dir Patty Jenkins)
Animation: A Droid's Tale, Bad Batch, and Visions

Marvel:
WandaVision Jan 15th
Falcon & Winter Soldier March 19th
Loki May
Black Widow May in theaters (HAH!)
Christian Bale is Gorr in Thor 4
Ant-Man 3 is titled Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Kang the Conquerer is the villain
Jon Watts is directing Fantastic Four
Marvel won't recast T'Challa, BP2 delayed to July 2022
Guardians 3 is 2023, a Guardians Holiday Special will be filmed during production for Christmas 2022
I Am Groot animated shorts with Baby Groot
Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye filming now then She Hulk and Moon Knight. Abomination (Tim Roth) returning in She Hulk.
New series announced: Secret Invasion, Ironheart, Armor Wars (War Machine series)

sol_bad

I just realised that Falcon and the Winter Soldier is out before Black Widow. So I guess you don't need to see Black Widow first.

Why are they avoiding jedi so heavily?? Droids get their own shit before any focus on the old republic? Rebels, clones, droids, and bounty hunters are not nearly as cool or interesting as jedi. Example with a slight spoiler: the cameo at the end of Solo, it was a decent movie up until then. But since I know what could have been possible, everything I just watched was inconsequential. I no longer cared about any of the characters or the story, all I wanted was how she got wrapped up with sith. Something that was a fun flick genuinely pissed me off. Like being happy you got a free Uber ride but then learning you could've had a free Ferrari.

I don't want to have to rely on EA for the stories I'm expecting but they're only the ones doing it right now with Fallen Order (and rewatching the Old Republic cinematics, which is essentially the only thing I really want). Fallen orders characters, good, bad and in between are all phenomenal! The planets are hella cool (compared to the locations Disney has showed us so far) and the lore of star wars in JFO drags you so deeper than anything Disney has done so far.

I love ahsoka and Ewan is a treasury, but damn, they're wasting a shit ton of time, talent, and effort. Also, ahsoka and obi should've been some of the first things they ever did. Ewan wanted it, fans wanted it, and they dicked around for far too long. I would trade everything here except for ahsoka and obi for a proper show/movie about Snoke. He was dope, built up to be bigger and better than he was, and is vastly more interesting than Lando.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Can't wait to see how woke all this new shit is......and with KK still around it's probably all going to be trash.

You know all those cool movies you grew uo with? She was a producer on those. The trilogy was ass, but to act like KK is some hack reveals a profound cluelessness about movie history.

sol_bad

a dollar price increase already after offering 1 good show

When will people realise that entertainment costs money to produce? Falcon and the Winter Soldier for example is costing $200 million to make.
It makes sense that Disney+ would start at a low cost and as their expensive productions hit the service increase the price.

Disney aren't going to be stupid like Netflix where they spend 13 billion on production and acquiring content and only make 1.5 billion in profit or something measly like that. Same with HBO Max increasing it's cost or introducing adverts. You can't expect to have 200 million dollar productions available and keep prices cheap. How will these companies make profit otherwise?

Warner were expecting to make 500 million to 1 billion+ on some of their 2021 theatrical productions. That simply isn't going to happen on HBO Max.

Dazraell

Some these Star Wars projects probably won't be right up in my alley, but I'm really excited to learn more about The Acolyte, Kenobi, The Bad Batch and Ahsoka series. The Acolyte as a dark-side centric story set during The High Republic might be a really cool and interesting show with a lot of potential. The Bad Batch sizzle reel just screams like a spiritual sequel to The Clone Wars.

Ahsoka, Rangers and The Mandalorian as an interconnected series might really work well. Each of them could focus on a different corners of the galaxy post-Episode VI and explore completely different themes. Main characters will still have their own problems to deal with and all of that just screams that they will also have a central villain to fight together.

Setzer

You know all those cool movies you grew uo with? She was a producer on those. The trilogy was ass, but to act like KK is some hack reveals a profound cluelessness about movie history.
She was a producer. She wasn't involved in the creative process in any of those classic 80's films.....she didn't write the script, she didn't direct. She oversaw the production and financial aspects of those films. So her name is attached to some of those 80's classics.....good for her....but she's in no way responsible for them being classics.

Now she's in charge of Star Wars and it was her creative ideas for the new trilogy and the other movies they've made....Solo and Rogue One...and for the most part it's all been garbage.

Kimahri

Banned
She was a producer. She wasn't involved in the creative process in any of those classic 80's films.....she didn't write the script, she didn't direct. She oversaw the production and financial aspects of those films. So her name is attached to some of those 80's classics.....good for her....but she's in no way responsible for them being classics.

Now she's in charge of Star Wars and it was her creative ideas for the new trilogy and the other movies they've made....Solo and Rogue One...and for the most part it's all been garbage.

You forgot the 90s.

George Lucas hand picked her for a reason. I'm not gonna pretend to know how the Star Wars movies got fucked up, maybe at some point we'll get the insider's story, but I greatly enjoy watching people put more blame on her than say, directors, writers, or even her boss.

It's all her fault. Sure, she has blame, but downplaying all her achievements at the same time just makes this very silly.

sol_bad

How are the Star Wars movies her creative ideas? She's a producer just like all the movies she worked on.

Setzer

You forgot the 90s.

George Lucas hand picked her for a reason. I'm not gonna pretend to know how the Star Wars movies got fucked up, maybe at some point we'll get the insider's story, but I greatly enjoy watching people put more blame on her than say, directors, writers, or even her boss.

It's all her fault. Sure, she has blame, but downplaying all her achievements at the same time just makes this very silly.
Not downplaying her achievements but please don't overplay them and act like she was responsible for those classics of the 80's. She worked on them, yes, but she didn't create them.

Dazraell

Why are they avoiding jedi so heavily?? Droids get their own shit before any focus on the old republic? Rebels, clones, droids, and bounty hunters are not nearly as cool or interesting as jedi. Example with a slight spoiler: the cameo at the end of Solo, it was a decent movie up until then. But since I know what could have been possible, everything I just watched was inconsequential. I no longer cared about any of the characters or the story, all I wanted was how she got wrapped up with sith. Something that was a fun flick genuinely pissed me off. Like being happy you got a free Uber ride but then learning you could've had a free Ferrari.

I don't think they're avoiding Jedi at all. I mean, Ahsoka, Obi-Wan Kenobi and The Acolyte are literally shows about characters who are Force users. If you take a look at logo of Ahsoka, it even shares some resembalance to Fallen Order logo. I don't think it's a coincidence. Her appearance on The Mandalorian and the way how her episode was filmed seems to suggest Filoni may go heavy on the mysticism part of this universe. Also, The Acolyte is apparently set during era where Jedi were in their prime, they're definitely not going to neglect them.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Not downplaying her achievements but please don't overplay them and act like she was responsible for those classics of the 80's. She worked on them, yes, but she didn't create them.

I never have, I'm saying she had an important role, and was an integral part of many teams.

People act like she's some nobody who must have slept her way to the top, which is just silly.

Dacon

Banned
Typical Disney.
Now they got a mild shimmer of hope with Mandalorian and their reaction is they are going on all with all kind of shit that will bury the brand again.

I would loved to see quality over quantity.

Why bother when there's a ton of brainlets out there that will CONSOOM everything they make regardless of quality?

People actively encourage this bullshit when they lap this crap up like its liquid gold.

sol_bad

Typical Disney.
Now they got a mild shimmer of hope with Mandalorian and their reaction is they are going on all with all kind of shit that will bury the brand again.

I would loved to see quality over quantity.

I'm pretty sure only Rangers of the New Republic and Ahsoka were born from Mandalorian the Mandalorian hype.
Bad Batch is obviously born from Clone Wars.
Andor and Obi-Wan were in pre-production stages before Mandalorian released.

The Acolyte, Lando and Visions (anime) are the only brand new shows and they have probably been in the concept stage even since Disney+ was announced.

If all the shows are well received it will add value to the brand, not bury it.

If all the shows are well received it will add value to the brand, not bury it.
It's not like they had a great track record with everything after RotJ.

They surprised me in a positive way with Mandalorian, but I'd be happier if they took their little success the have now and expand more carefully, carefully nurturing that little plant that is Mando instead of doing the same mistakes they did before.

Not sure about Filoni and Favreau being able to sustain the quality they show now though all of these shows and movies.
If they are even involved.

Dazrael

I thought Disney were going to learn valuable lessons from their Star Wars fatigue debacle. Looks like they are back with a vengeance for it.

Another interesting take away from that schedule is no First Order era content; just Old Republic, post-prequels and OT stuff. Looks like they learnt their lesson about that after all unless I’m missing something.

sol_bad

It's not like they had a great track record with everything after RotJ.

They surprised me in a positive way with Mandalorian, but I'd be happier if they took their little success the have now and expand more carefully, carefully nurturing that little plant that is Mando instead of doing the same mistakes they did before.

Not sure about Filoni and Favreau being able to sustain the quality they show now though all of these shows and movies.
If they are even involved.

I think they are involved in Ahsoka and Rangers only for the new shows.

I think they are involved in Ahsoka and Rangers only for the new shows.
Don't get me wrong, I'd be the happiest motherfucker on this planet if all these shows turned out to be as great as Mando is. It's just that I am wary, after decades of disappointments...

So, yeah, thanks for always being the optimistic dude here in that wake of us doubters, man. I appreciate that, even if I don't always sound like it... ;)

Top Bottom