• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disco Elysium writer talks about benefit of new console hardware

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://opattack.com/disco-elysium-lead-writer-talks-about-benefits-of-new-hardware-like-ps5/

disco-elysium.jpg

How is the game going to improve on the new consoles?

To answer this question, Disco Elysium’s lead writer had this to say to Official PlayStation Magazine:

I’ve talked a lot about the world and the dialogue system, but none of it would work without the visuals. The art department always had this vision of pushing top-down graphics to its absolute best. You know the guys who are always after graphic fidelity, pushing their rigs to the max? We wanted them to look at our game and go, ‘Woah. Look at that. An isometric RPG that looks handsome, modern and inviting.’ PS5 makes achieving all that technically so much easier.

Furthermore, the writer also explained that initially, there was some combat in Disco Elysium. However, since it didn’t go well with the immersion and story telling of the game, they totally removed it:

But over time we discovered that including traditional combat just wasn’t feasible. It didn’t work with the story, it didn’t work with immersion. We were focussing so much on skill checks inside the dialogues that at some point it started making more sense to move combat there as well

johntown

Banned
I like the benefit of getting full controller support for PC and voice acting. The game was fantatsic. Nothing quite like it and I cannot wait to play it again with the updated version.

SLB1904

Banned
I don't really see how the hardware is going to benefit a game like Disco Elysium. I mean, it's coming to Switch, too, isn't it?
dont underestimate low resolution.

games tend to look terrible and jaggies (i hate the latter so much)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We wanted them to look at our game and go, Woah. Look at that. An isometric RPG that looks handsome

Disco Elysium is phenomenal but it does not look handsome and that's the point, weird way to phrase this

Sentenza

Sounds like a bunch of generic, politely congratulatory "Those platforms we are currently developing for aren't shit".

Miles708

I hope with all this power and possibilities they'll manage to make bigger fonts.
I know I'm asking for too much but i'm that demanding of a gamer.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
So is the game getting a retail version or not? I'd love to have a copy on my shelf.

Last edited:

Hugare

I don't really see how the hardware is going to benefit a game like Disco Elysium. I mean, it's coming to Switch, too, isn't it?
Yeah, but looks are deceiving. Tt's kind of a heavy game

My notebook is old but capable of running a lot of current gen games without a problem. But with Disco Elysium it kinda struggled.

They probably optimized the game a lot and will make it run really low res on Switch with a bunch of effects turned off

Disco Elysium is phenomenal but it does not look handsome and that's the point, weird way to phrase this
It looked awesome to me when I played it

Should run smoother, but the art and animations were sublime

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It looked awesome to me when I played it

Should run smoother, but the art and animations were sublime

Yeah, the quality is phenomenal, I'm talking about the use of the word handsome; the visuals are very intentionally dirty and grimy

Elios83

Are they still targeting March for PS5?
I've read tons of praise for this game although it seems it's really heavy on text. Hopefully console versions won't have really small fonts if that's the case.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Are they still targeting March for PS5?
I've read tons of praise for this game although it seems it's really heavy on text. Hopefully console versions won't have really small fonts if that's the case.
Yeah it is, devs said as much last week. Final Cut will have full voice acting so it should be alright in terms of not having shitloads to read.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
It's funny that something so simple usually goes over the heads of forum goers/game devs.
You usually hear idiots say game development costs go up as the capability of consoles go up.

Instead of having to create your own engine and then worry about optimizing your game, you can just use one of MANY established game engines and who cares if your text based adventure game is using 4gb of ram, consoles and phones are so powerful they can chew through your garbage code.
If anything it makes things CHEAPER time and currency wise.

Karak

I don't think English is their primary. Handsome is used to mean striking in many spaces which is why in times past hearing that's a handsome woman wasn't as unusual as it may now. Or some other thing we don't think of.

AV

I don't think English is their primary. Handsome is used to mean striking in many spaces which is why in times past hearing that's a handsome woman wasn't as unusual as it may now. Or some other thing we don't think of.

Yeah, that's probably it. Although it's still a little surprising given how well written the whole game is, it's just a funny use of the word is all.

Top Bottom