• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disco Elysium The Final Cut [OT] I Am The Law

Raphael

So is this game fairly objective / fair in the political context? I remember reading over here its quite left oriented.

Also how important are builds? I Will give this a shot, if they are important whats a fun one to start off with?

Last edited:

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
So is this game fairly objective / fair in the political context? I remember reading over here its quite left oriented.
Not even remotely close to being objective. It's extremely sympathetic to leftism, thinks communism is understandable but misguided, and skewers capitalism and liberalism frequently. I expect the new political vision quests will do even more of this.

All of this is fine to me--I don't mind when games take an ideological position, even if it disagrees with my own--but others might not find it palatable.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Also how important are builds? I Will give this a shot, if they are important whats a fun one to start off with?

I felt the game took the piss fairly equally out of each leaning. I didn't go hard into critiquing their jokes to see which was more heavy-handed. If you can't stand having your team made fun of, I would skip it. If you're an adult who can handle it, the writing is top notch and well worth the asking price.

Last edited:
I owned the game from launch but never finished it.

Does this new release come free for previous owners of the original or anything?

The fully voice over seems to be exactly what I needed to remedy the absolute boredom I felt reading through playing the game.

Good on anyone who can enjoy it in the original, but it really felt something was missing once I realized it's been 15 minutes pass the intro game segment and I haven't heard a single voice but ambient noise and sound effects as I roll through the dialogue.

Might as well play my old choose your own adventure text games if that's the case 🤷🏽‍♂️

Elios83

Definetly going to buy this next week, it's a genre I really like (as fan of both RPGs and old text-based adventures) and it seems it got really high praise on PC.
Hopefully the handled text size properly in the PS5 version.

Majukun

Maybe this time I will actually finish the game, lost interest after a while and got lost.
Also went for a guy with high intelligence and all I got was a bunch of useless trivia info... Makes for a good laugh but I was unable to do anything because I spent my stats on that.

MrS

Banned
Devs said on Discord that the game won't go live on PSN in the UK til 6pm Tuesday. Not sure if this will be the actual case as the PSN store always updates 'round midnight. Disappointing if true though.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Devs said on Discord that the game won't go live on PSN in the UK til 6pm Tuesday. Not sure if this will be the actual case as the PSN store always updates 'round midnight. Disappointing if true though.
That is disappointing if true but I will be at work till 4.30pm so will just play BOTW or Death Stranding when I get home whilst I wait for it to go live.

Reactions: MrS

Certinty

How long is this game?

If the main story is under 20 hours I’ll give it a go, otherwise I can’t say I’m interested in spending too much time on it.

Mikey Jr.

I still dont understand what kind of game this is?

Its like a visual novel kind of thing? Cause that is really not my jam to be honest.

Murdoch

Should I get this on console or stadia on my work laptop (Stadia works really well for me - Keyboard and mouse)

DonJorginho

Banned
You're making it hard for me to wait for the retail thing, man. ;)
Join Us GIF by memecandy

Looking forward to starting a new playthrough tonight.

I’ve never played anything like it before (I guess PS:T) but would definitely play more stuff like this in the future if people were making it so hopefully it does well on console.

HotPocket69

Banned
Frankly is just me gushing about the audio. But the subscribers had been asking my thoughts on if it hit the old "one on one" dnd feel so I did a quick video

Well it had me go to your original review which was fantastic so win win for you 🤠

I still dont understand what kind of game this is?

Its like a visual novel kind of thing? Cause that is really not my jam to be honest.
Think of it as an old fashioned point and click adventure with rather significant role playing elements - mostly present in the form of dice rolls during conversations. The stellar writing, characters and the world-building are the game's high points. If tight involving gameplay is your jam, then this might not be the game for you.

I for one can't wait to go through the game again. It has rather limited replayability, so new content is as good a reason as any to jump back into the game and experience it anew.

Dr. Suchong

Thanks for clearing this up. I've been yelling "Where the fuck is it?!" on Playstation store most of today.

Reactions: MrS

xrnzaaas

They’re idiots for not just putting it on the store for preorder. Who actually releases their game on a digital store like this anymore?
Actually a lot of the games in the PlayStation Store don't get digital pre-orders. I have no idea why, maybe they have to pay Sony extra for the promotion on the page with the upcoming titles?

Derktron

Banned
Damn I keep hearing good things about the game, I’m going to have to get this game question is where do I get it at. It’s not on Xbox and I don’t have a PS5. So I’ll probably get it on PC through Epic Games or through Stadia.

Damn I keep hearing good things about the game, I’m going to have to get this game question is where do I get it at. It’s not on Xbox and I don’t have a PS5. So I’ll probably get it on PC through Epic Games or through Stadia.
It's on Xbox

Edit: oh I guess that's fake news, didn't realize it was coming later to Xbox and Switch

Last edited:

graywolf323

For all Playstation users, Disco Elysium: The Final Cut drops today at 10AM PST/6PM GMT with a 20% discount to celebrate it's launch, making it $31.99/£27.99 compared to $39.99/£34.99.

oh dang nice, I was planning on picking it up anyway so the 20% discount is just icing on the cake

Actually a lot of the games in the PlayStation Store don't get digital pre-orders. I have no idea why, maybe they have to pay Sony extra for the promotion on the page with the upcoming titles?

PSN definitely doesn't get as many pre-orders as say eShop but it is kinda odd to me that Disco Elysium didn't go up for pre-purchase yet games like Rust & Secret Neighbor are

Last edited:

Nico_D

Gotta love that translation on the local PSN page.

I'll translate it back to English for you:
"Disco Elysium is a groundbreaking open world RPG. You are a detective, who has on his disposal an unique skill system and a whole city block's which goes through your road. Listen to unforgettable characters, brake murders or take bribes. Become a hero or a humans definitive catastrophe."

Sounds really unique.

(I'll be definitely buying this later this week.)

DonJorginho

Banned
Gotta love that translation on the local PSN page.

I'll translate it back to English for you:
"Disco Elysium is a groundbreaking open world RPG. You are a detective, who has on his disposal an unique skill system and a whole city block's which goes through your road. Listen to unforgettable characters, brake murders or take bribes. Become a hero or a humans definitive catastrophe."

Sounds really unique.

(I'll be definitely buying this later this week.)
I love it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

How is the PS store such complete trash? I can't even redeem a damn code to put the money onto my account to buy this. At some point when I hopefully pay $32 for this I'm sure I'll be getting a great deal. Excited to play it.

Top Bottom