• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disco Elysium |OT| A worthy Planescape: Torment successor

Fuz

Banned
As an aside are many people using the default builds or are people mainly making their own?

I did a bit of noodling when I first got the game and have found that 4,3,2 & 3 with Perception as the signature seems like a good Combination. You get the benefits of decent intellect and reasonable psyche at base levels coupled with the benefits of the comparable Perception which is super useful earlier on whereas most of the other motoric skills don't seem all that essential. Physical 1 also seems like a big No No because its just too easy to die when it's that low.

Anyway that's how I'm rolling what about the rest of you?
Custom character (of course!), 5 3 2 2 with logic as my signature perk. Kind of tryng to "roleplay" myself, but next run I'll go full brute. Just for Cuno.

Just kidding, I've done his quest and heavily changed my mind on the poor kid. Hate that I can't do anything about Cunoette.

Thinkg about it, it's really nice how the game made me go from "I want to smash his face" to "You wanted to smash his face? You're an asshole".

Anyway, I already said it, but the writing is absolutely *stellar*. I'm really impressed. I'm on fourth day and the game keeps surprising me with little plot twists here and there, politics, schemes... and everything has its logic, it's never, never just shock value.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I've gone with a standard build, went with the people-skills one, whichever that is. Cuno is an annoying little shit, not helped by the very annoying voice actor, but I presume something changes later on. Felt rather sorry for the poor girl outside the cursed book shop - I'm curious to see where that goes. There's lots of little bits of intrigue building up and while I'm 90% sure I'm making a pig's ear of everything I'm having fun poking it and learning about this world.

Fuz

Banned
Has anyone found Klaasje's buoy?

Holy shit, the game just punched me in the gut. Son of a bitch.

Last edited:

data_jack

I remember reading the feature on this in Wireframe magazine number 3 or 4 (relatively new publication from the UK) and being very invested in it. I remember the devs saying there would be a lot to read but holy shit! Still, it gives me a great DnD vibe with skill check dice rolls and "create a persona" character builder. The visual style is a bit murky to me, but I've only seen a bit of the game so who knows. Is this a PC exclusive?

Bl@de

[RHETORIC] (Easy: Success) You feel something... rising through you — A familar feeling. AN OPINION taking form...

This game is fantastic. Stellar writing. Unique setting. Also ... *nationalism*

Kadayi

Banned
I remember reading the feature on this in Wireframe magazine number 3 or 4 (relatively new publication from the UK) and being very invested in it. I remember the devs saying there would be a lot to read but holy shit! Still, it gives me a great DnD vibe with skill check dice rolls and "create a persona" character builder. The visual style is a bit murky to me, but I've only seen a bit of the game so who knows. Is this a PC exclusive?

So far it is.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Met the beligerant twat guarding the door at the dock strike thingy and got a bit punchy. This turned out to be a bad idea. Now on a second play-through, this time with a custom character with a bit more brainpower, I have this time managed to locate all of my clothes. Having a bit more of an idea of how it all works I'm making somewhat better choices, though still having fun dicking around of course. What an utterly wonderful little gem of a game.

Kadayi

Banned
Met the beligerant twat guarding the door at the dock strike thingy and got a bit punchy. This turned out to be a bad idea. Now on a second play-through, this time with a custom character with a bit more brainpower, I have this time managed to locate all of my clothes. Having a bit more of an idea of how it all works I'm making somewhat better choices, though still having fun dicking around of course. What an utterly wonderful little gem of a game.

Yeah, I found restarting quite refreshing in that it opens up your mind to be a bit more creative in terms of approach as well as maybe not wearing your heart on your sleeve in terms of the information you give out to the games NPCs.

Also props to the writers with the autopsy scene because for what is ostensibly just words on a screen it was actually quite riveting.

Also, anyone else actually avoided looking in the mirror? Your portrait is just this blurry blob. It's great.

Last edited:

MetalSlug

This isn't really my type of game, but it looks and sounds interesting.

So I just bought it 5 minutes ago and who knows, I may actually end up really enjoying it.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So I decided to reject fascism - didn't fancy having to explain that should anyone look at my screen! Might give it a shot on another playthrough though, really push the edges of the system.

Kadayi

Banned
So I decided to reject fascism - didn't fancy having to explain that should anyone look at my screen! Might give it a shot on another playthrough though, really push the edges of the system.

You're one of those filthy Communards!! I knew it. Can't trust the ham sandwich ppl.

WindomURL

Game is ketamine addled mutant schizo energy. The whole interaction with the kids by the tree was like some sort of dengue fever dream. Suddenly became more grounded upon examining the body- more focused, maybe due to the vivid putrescence?

Gonzo comes to mind as a descriptor. It makes me want to get some whiskey before the next session.

I already kind of want to start a new game, just to see, but I'll hold off a while longer.

Fuz

Banned
Oh god, this game.

As I said, I'm kinda trying to roleplay myself, but I had a "eh, fuck it" moment and the unexpected began.

Did drugs in the church, started dancing with the ravers and managed to convince Kim to dance too.
This game is fucking amazing.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Just woken up from a bizarre nights sleep to start day 2, been playing for about 10 hours and damn this game just pulls you in. It’s such a fascinating world, with so much going on.

About 18 hrs in on day 3 with a jack of all trades master of none kinda character.

Have to say Master class writing and funny too. I consistently laugh out loud at some of the things you can get up to and say :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I’ve heard people’s character kill themselves when they find out they where a shit detective, but mine solved over 200 cases, Kim said it was remarkable. Could this difference be skill related?

After a few hours, i had to pull the plug and drop it. Unfortunately, it just did not grab my attention enough to pull me in, despite the fact that i acknowledge its good writing. I did not feel compelled to get to know the characters, which i did not find appealing, or to get to know the world the action is set in. I can't exactly pin point the issue here, the design is not a problem as i have enjoyed countless game of its ilk before.

I think it has something to do with this particular politically charged content within the world the game is set it, somehow seemed like it was trying to push a message out - because i did not not like the dialogue choices which did not align with what i would pick in the dialogue options. I didn't like that, at all.

Kadayi

Banned
After a few hours, i had to pull the plug and drop it. Unfortunately, it just did not grab my attention enough to pull me in, despite the fact that i acknowledge its good writing. I did not feel compelled to get to know the characters, which i did not find appealing, or to get to know the world the action is set in. I can't exactly pin point the issue here, the design is not a problem as i have enjoyed countless game of its ilk before.

I think it has something to do with this particular politically charged content within the world the game is set it, somehow seemed like it was trying to push a message out - because i did not not like the dialogue choices which did not align with what i would pick in the dialogue options. I didn't like that, at all.

Play more.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

What dialogue exactly are you referring to? Obviously early on there's going to be less choices to guide you and not overwhelm you and as for the political stuff you can simply avoid talking about it.

Kadayi

Banned
What dialogue exactly are you referring to? Obviously early on there's going to be less choices to guide you and not overwhelm you and as for the political stuff you can simply avoid talking about it.

He reads like a Whiner tbh. There's nothing I've read yet in the game that suggests to me that the developers are pushing any notions of what is right or wrong (ala Bioware or Lionhead) versus just dealing in the greys of a complex universe. It's no secret that you're a trainwreck of a character from the off and that as the player you're navigating that character accordingly, in the same manner, you might drive Geralt in The Witcher or the Nameless one in PS:T, versus a pure blank slate so I don't get the complaint. I'm surprised 'Problematic' wasn't dropped in the post tbh.

No, i can't think of examples of the top of my head, otherwise i would have specified them. Writing containing subjects regarding racism, communism, ideologies, etc. These particular elements of the writing as a whole are extremely predictable and do not engage me. Currently i am finding that particular set of subject matter extraordinarily uninteresting, in general. It doesn't grab my attention, at all, and it's not entertaining. I don't avoid content because i like to explore everything the developers designed and the political elements caught me off guard.

Maybe with a different build and on a different day with a different state of mind, the game is not going anywhere.

He reads like a Whiner tbh. There's nothing I've read yet in the game that suggests to me that the developers are pushing any notions of what is right or wrong (ala Bioware or Lionhead) versus just dealing in the greys of a complex universe. It's no secret that you're a trainwreck of a character from the off and that as the player you're navigating that character accordingly, in the same manner, you might drive Geralt in The Witcher or the Nameless one in PS:T, versus a pure blank slate so I don't get the complaint. I'm surprised 'Problematic' wasn't dropped in the post tbh.

No, i'm not a whiner. I also did not say that the developers are pushing any notion of what is right or wrong, what i said is that due to the politically charged content and the choices within their context, it somehow seemed like it was trying to push a message out. It's not a complaint, because i'm not complaining. I'm trying to figure out exactly why i can't get into this game, but i think i solved the issue - i'm bored of politics, and the political elements caught me off guard.

Kadayi

Banned
what i said is that due to the politically charged content and the choices within their context, it somehow seemed like it was trying to push a message out.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
No, i can't think of examples of the top of my head, otherwise i would have specified them. Writing containing subjects regarding racism, communism, ideologies, etc. These particular elements of the writing as a whole are extremely predictable and do not engage me. Currently i am finding that particular set of subject matter extraordinarily uninteresting, in general. It doesn't grab my attention, at all, and it's not entertaining. I don't avoid content because i like to explore everything the developers designed and the political elements caught me off guard.

Maybe with a different build and on a different day with a different state of mind, the game is not going anywhere.

The advice to play it more wasn't just because the game gets better but because you will have the choice to make fun of those political themes, you can choose to be a racist or ignore it, etc. but again, these things are just early stuff to build up your character. Remember this is an aprox 30 hour game.

The advice to play it more wasn't just because the game gets better but because you will have the choice to make fun of those political themes, you can choose to be a racist or ignore it, etc. but again, these things are just early stuff to build up your character. Remember this is an aprox 30 hour game.

Fair enough, i think it's a good idea for me to approach this game at a later time in which i'm in a different state of mind. I intend to complete it, but not today.

Fuz

Banned
Finished my first run. I've been very thorough and the thought cabinet is still missing a lot of items. Replayability seems to be very high.

Quite a good ending, they didn't fuck up like too often happens, although
I'm not a big fan of introducing the murderer at the very end. It's kind of an easy way out. This makes him also not very developed.
The scene with the phasmid is fantastic.

Has anyone been able to save Titus?
Also, I've found a little white square. like a door or something in Ruby's hideout, at the very end, and I have no idea how to reach it. Anyone been able to?

Anyway, fantastic game. Amazing how everything perfectly clicks together. I haven't seen such great writing since ages. I need a sequel.

Last edited:

sadaiyappan

How do you get out of the apartment at the beginning of the game? When I click the door I can hear the door unlocking but I can't step outside.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So I took a brief journey into Outer Worlds but decided to head back to Disco Elysium. I really can't get enough of this world. Finally managed to investigate the corpse without puking so that's good, though I'm going to need some help getting it down. This world just keeps pulling me in - I fucking adore this game so much. It burrows under your skin. Honestly for me game of the decade is between this and Kingdom Come Deliverance. I'm so glad I took a chance on this strange little gem.

Kadayi

Banned
So I took a brief journey into Outer Worlds but decided to head back to Disco Elysium. I really can't get enough of this world. Finally managed to investigate the corpse without puking so that's good, though I'm going to need some help getting it down. This world just keeps pulling me in - I fucking adore this game so much. It burrows under your skin. Honestly for me game of the decade is between this and Kingdom Come Deliverance. I'm so glad I took a chance on this strange little gem.

Yeah getting the corpse down is tricky my advice save scum the shot, you can get a cool interaction with Kim upon success

Also yeah the game is awesome. I'm holding off on Gamepassing Outer Worlds until I conclude it.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah getting the corpse down is tricky my advice save scum the shot, you can get a cool interaction with Kim upon success

Yeah I didn't do that, and I'm ok with it - I'm happy to let the game take me where it wants to, as I'm pretty sure I'll be having more playthroughs of this (which I very rarely do).

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah I didn't do that, and I'm ok with it - I'm happy to let the game take me where it wants to, as I'm pretty sure I'll be having more playthroughs of this (which I very rarely do).

Undoubtedly. Albeit I'm happily reloading this at times on this playthrough and redoing parts (because I'm a noodler my nature). I'm actually really interested in the idea of doing an ironman style straight playthrough rolling with the fates, just to see how it goes. I think I'd definitely opt for a more esoteric build though, maybe even randomise from the off both skills and focus in the process. 🤔

Teslerum

So, I'm on my way to to getting 2 (fast) playthroughs of Outer Worlds under my belt which means a second for Disco Elysium. That doesn't start till next weekend though at the earliest so I'm pondering which build to pick. :unsure:

What's your favourite type of detective?

Last edited:
Yesterday i played a few hours of The Outer Worlds, and today i've started a second attempt to play Disco Elysium. Now that i'm also familiar with its political and social elements, i decided to not give too much importance on them. I also realized that my first attempt burned me out because of my approach - i went and explored literally everything i could and did not progress organically through the quest lines, amassing a large list of peculiar quests i had no idea how to approach. I also didn't realize how time flows (by conversing), so that was a problem. And lastly, getting caught off guard by its political themes (which i am tired of seeing every time i check social platforms), was the drop that filled the feeling of tiredness. I'm glad i figured out the issue.

Now, i've decided to play this organically and actually role play as a cop with certain traits that i have chosen to motivate me. The progression is far more satisfying, and Opening the ledger and going through the contents of the postcard just made the game click very, very hard. The second hard click was wen i was finally able to inspect the body - which i didn't even bother doing in my first attempt.

The quality of the writing doesn't loosen up at all and is keeping my attention, so i think i'll spend a few hours on this today, and continue with this approach.

Kadayi

Banned
What's your favourite type of detective?

Well I went

4 Intellect
3 Psyche
2 Physique
3 Motorics

with Perception (motorics) as my Primary skill

I found that's a good balance in terms of observation, knowledge and intuition areas, though obviously you're a little vulnerable when it comes to physical tasks so you need to save those skill points until you need them (I had to pump endurance a couple of levels just to be able to approach the corpse for instance, but you can get ammonia and an endurance-boosting raincoat from the Frittte store).

Thought Cabinets There are a couple of really useful ones you can unlock early on that you can get from simply talking to Joyce Jamais Vu (speak to Lena about getting a reality lowdown beforehand) and The Fifteenth Indotribe (ask about Wild pines and “8 percent of *all* cargo in the world”) that will give you some cash and some XP for every green marker you click on, so it's actually worth ignoring those until you have them.

I've been playing very much the curious detective with this build. Largely on point, but not afraid to go down a rabbit hole (like the bookshop investigation) if I feel it will yield some benefits.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird how I've ended up approaching this game differently to how I might tackle others. I had the first playthrough where I failed and didn't mind - in a way it has a losing-is-fun element that people speak of with Dwarf Fortress (my white whale - I've tried and failed to get into it). The funny thing is that normally I save-scum like a bastard, I try to figure out the best possible build, etc but this game I'm not doing that. I'll save frequently because I'm an IT geek and know not to trust computers, but I feel no temptation to reload if something goes wrong. I just take it on the chin and move on. My build isn't optimised, I just picked the things I thought would be cool. My first playthrough I was bewildered and confused cop and had fun with that, this time I'm a bit more savvy, have a better idea of how to keep morale and health up, figured out how to find cash, learned the usefulness of the tab key in highlighting clickables, and am picking thought cabinet thoughts up for fun (though I didn't realise there was a limit and that expanding it required spending skill points - it's left me with a rather odd set of thoughts and some that I'd like to level up but currently can't).

16 hours played so far and I can honestly say I've loved every minute of it. I VERY rarely pay full price for a game, but I dropped £35 on it at GOG and feel 100% happy with my choice to do so.

Kadayi

Banned
this is how I feel

DE is absolutely an RPG in the classical sense of the term. The inherent problem with cRPGs is that in large part they've modelled on the Dungeons & Dragons loot & Levels treadmill of progression concept (and understandably for many people that's all they know),However D&D was only one model (albeit far-reaching in influence) when it came to design, whereas there were other P&P RPGs that operated in a completely different fashion (Traveller, Call of Cthulhu and Bushido for instance) and were much more focused on role play, investigation and creative problem solving versus endless combat & cash, because combat in those games was often a precarious thing. Also, DE isn't a visual novel, there are stats and you get bonuses/penalties based on both equipment as well as actions, which impact the likelihood of success. The dice rolls themselves are just out of your hand, though for the most part, the game allows you to back out if you think a challenge is unfavourable and retry when you're in a better place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom