• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disco Elysium |OT| A worthy Planescape: Torment successor

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Disco-Elysium-Free-Download.jpg

Disco Elysium is a groundbreaking open world role playing game. You’re a detective with a unique skill system at your disposal and a whole city block to carve your path across. Interrogate unforgettable characters, crack murders or take bribes. Become a hero or an absolute disaster of a human being.

Media:

de-hanged.png

de-samaranhat.jpg

Reviews:

Store pages:

Last edited:

Teslerum

Not Arcanum, but Planescape Torment. Its more on a talkative side. But yes the promotion is non existent so far, unfortunately.

Yeah, so far its exactly Planescape Torment except even more text/dialog focused and with writing that feels like the writers were alternatly high and drunk 99% during development of the game. The different voices just add to that.

Game is best enjoyed with some high quality whiskey/vodka. Enjoying it so far.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Bought and downloaded. I'm balls deep into a rather delicate CK2 game atm, but I'm off tomorrow (the benefits of self-employment) so I'll give it a delve then when my mind is a bit more limber for what sounds like a pretty unique experience Spoiler Free Naturally

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Teslerum

I’d like to see more reviews - from game players. I suspect the PCG review will be an outlier.

There are multiple reviews praising it.

To sum the game up.....

Imagine a dialouge focused rpg like Planescape Torment taken to the extreme where nearly everything you do is based on dialogue. You don't have certain more gameplay related choices you would have in other choice-based rpgs but with dialogue systems that is SUPER in depth and adjust based on your choices.

Now take that thought and imagine such a game written by a crazy, drunken estonian commie. (Not SJW commie)

That's Disco Elysium. You're going to be in for a ride. Just expect a LOT of text.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Apparently this is actually really good? Kinda came out of nowhere. Tempted to buy it on GOG, even though I won't be able to play it for a couple weeks.

Hearing a lot of people comparing it to Planescape Torment... in a good way.

Last edited:
I wonder if the script will outweigh Planescape, few games do. The idea of text based combat sounds super cool to the DnD nerd in me. This is a definite purchase.

Teslerum

I wonder if the script will outweigh Planescape, few games do. The idea of text based combat sounds super cool to the DnD nerd in me. This is a definite purchase.

It doesn't. But that has more to do that its a different style of writing that makes a direct comparison not applicable.

DerFuggler

Apparently this is actually really good? Kinda came out of nowhere. Tempted to buy it on GOG, even though I won't be able to play it for a couple weeks.

Hearing a lot of people comparing it to Planescape Torment... in a good way.

Buy it on GOG and you'll get Underrail free

The game does look interesting. I'll check some youtube reviews later to see whether its something I might like.
If the game comes from the mind of Eastern Europeans, that gives me hope that it wont conform to the bland ideals that Im so sick of in Western games.

Kadayi

Banned
Put a couple of hours in just noodling with the introduction area really to get a sense of the systems and trying out different builds (You get a choice of 3 presets or the ability to generate your own) essentially you have a whole bunch of different aspects of your personality/being that can and do chip in during events/conversations but only one that you can prioritize per se (at least so far as I got). I have a strange feeling that the creators were somehow fans of the sadly short-lived downbeat PI TV series Terriers for some reason, call it a hunch (Inland Empire +4).

So far so good.

Teslerum

This thing is epic. It's writing is like Planscape Torment x 10 + so anti-SJW that it feels genuinely intersectional.

Well, as I said before its actually developed by commies (dirtbag left). So not as far apart as you might think.
It's more like anti-everything.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone playing? I'm about to pull the trigger and hit "buy"
Its an isometric RPG Sci-Fi Detective type game it looks

For those intrested...

I was thinking about grabbing it. It looks weird but that seems to be part of the charm.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about grabbing it. It looks weird but that seems to be part of the charm.

I just got it and downloaded it. Gonna give it a try if I dont get to tired, will report back

Looks amazing from what I've seen in streams and such but I really don't have the time for it right now. Maybe during holidays.

Top Bottom