• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5 Reviews

Stuart360

Man the game is getting blasted on Steam at the moment.
Arcade handling (i dont agree with this, the mainline Dirt games have always been arcade. I'm guessing some people are mixing up with Dirt Rally). Bad graphics, missing options like 'Fullscreen' and Vsync, crashes, short easy career, no replays (wtf?), etc.

GHG

Man the game is getting blasted on Steam at the moment.
Arcade handling (i dont agree with this, the mainline Dirt games have always been arcade. I'm guessing some people are mixing up with Dirt Rally). Bad graphics, missing options like 'Fullscreen' and Vsync, crashes, short easy career, no replays (wtf?), etc.

Knew it was coming.

Pey27 Pey27 tried to warn us. The game will be 75% off on Steam or a third party key shop for those desperate to try it out for whatever reason.

LostDonkey

Having great fun with it but have to lock at 30fps with i7 and 1070 @1440p, pretty shit performance, even some drops to 26 ish.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Could do with a settings guide really, some of the options are pretty vague.

FH4 looks leagues better than this and runs better too.
I'll take your word for it, dont have the game yet. The user reviews are putting me off a bit.
But yeah, as a rule of thumb, if you ever have framerate problems and the options have a 'Global Illumination' or 'Vollumetric quality' option, try turning them down first.

drotahorror

Have only played maybe 3 tracks. I like the track design? Not sure what the 'oval' meme tracks are someone was referring to. The graphics can look ok sometimes but it's a blurry mess for the most part. Looks good in photo mode, the fps doesn't change so I feel like they're removing a lot of post-fx to get a crisp image in photo mode. Should always be like that, even in gameplay or atleast give me the option to remove some post-fx. The rain on windshield effect (which just got patched in today I guess) looks laughable. The rain disappears when the wipers hit it, then it looks like a texture just magically appears over the windscreen. Dirt Rally 1/2 look way better in this regard, and Driveclub shits on them all. FPS is pretty shit but my PC is starting to age. 6700k gtx 1080. I get about 60-90fps on a mix of medium-high. Native resolution, dynamic res off. in Dirt Rally 2.0 I can manage 150+fps easy. Granted I have to disable the crowd, but I would gladly get rid of the shitty crowd in D5 if it meant gaining 30fps, which is literally the case in DR2.

Handling is ok, it's fun to bang the car around hairpins. It's quite twitchy but could just be my controller (8bitdo SN30 pro). No wheel support is inexcusable. I would be playing with my Fanatec setup if it was available. Shame on codies/ex-evo studios.

There are many bugs I've already experienced in just the 20min I've played. You don't see a car when you're choosing your car, just a blank garage. In arcade mode > free play > there was some sort of 'developer hub' jargon listed as the name of the track. First person? camera has you inside the cars fender with visible outlines of tires next to you. Online doesn't seem to work.

I'd honestly be embarrassed for putting this out. I'm sorry Evolution Studios, but it seems like your time in the spotlight with the Motorstorm series (my favorite racing game series of all time) and Driveclub is well over with. As one of your biggest fans, it's sad to see what's happened.

Codemasters, stick to putting in your best effort for the next Dirt Rally and F1 games. And definitely put a major focus on creating the best WRC games you can once it's your turn to use the license.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

It's basically Driveclub but Rally.

That a what I'm getting from it anyway, it feels really arcade to play, the event icons all have the same feel to them as DC, the track flybys before you start the race, looks pretty average in dry daytime but really comes alive when the weather hits, event objectives are incredibly similar etc etc.

The arena creation is top notch as well, you can create your own Playground and share it for others to smash around.

Yeh you will get better with time at learning how to control slides.

Throttle input is also important when you feel the back start to go

It just takes practice.

You can do it lol.

Damn, she's good. And cute as hell. And a real rally car driver - holy crap!

Last edited:

drotahorror

Dirt 5 rain windshield effect

Btw, driving in cockpit view is hard as fuck in certain situations. Also it seems like there's no analog gas, I know it's there but I'm having a tough time not going full out, even with just barely pressing the trigger.

I wish steering wheels worked. I could see myself enjoying it fairly well with the way I like to drive.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Btw, driving in cockpit view is hard as fuck in certain situations. Also it seems like there's no analog gas, I know it's there but I'm having a tough time not going full out, even with just barely pressing the trigger.

lol i was just reading about this on Steam. Its not as bad as i expected to be honest, in fact i probably wouldnt of even noticed it if i didnt already know.

drotahorror

lol i was just reading about this on Steam. Its not as bad as i expected to be honest, in fact i probably wouldnt of even noticed it if i didnt already know.

It's honestly not as bad as I initially thought either. My first experience was at night time rain on another stage in another car. Maybe could be just that car even.

drotahorror

zGefS2w.jpeg

Read my reply....this fuckin game yo.

Also the game menu's have zero mouse support, but YOU CAN BET YOUR ASS that the mouse cursor ain't disappearing unless you throw it to the side.

Last edited:

Senua

I wish steering wheels worked. I could see myself enjoying it fairly well with the way I like to drive.

Some guy modding an old PC sim from 2014

drotahorror

Some guy modding an old PC sim from 2014

Pretty much the new king. I sub to dudes patreon. I wish I enjoyed racing simulators more but that mod is amazing.

I'm thinking about making a D5 OT but I've never done one nor do I think it'd get much traction.

Last edited:

Senua

Pretty much the new king. I sub to dudes patreon. I wish I enjoyed racing simulators more but that mod is amazing.

I'm thinking about making a D5 OT but I've never done one nor do I think it'd get much traction.
Awesome, and do it! I'll be picking it up for sure, in the mood for some arcade rally fun

drotahorror

What it is with Codemasters games that makes them drop in price so fast? I can already see cd keys for less than 30 EUR for this one...

Top Bottom