• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DIRT 5 |OT| DirtStormClub

drotahorror

XP5aerm.jpg

jump.gif

Developer: Codemasters (and ex-Evolution Studio devs)
Publisher: Codemasters
Platforms: Current/Next Gen and PC
FU Switch

About the game:

DIRT 5 is the boldest off-road racing experience created by Codemasters. Blaze a trail on routes across the world, covering gravel, ice, snow and sand, with a roster of cars ranging from rally icons to trucks, to GT heroes. With a star-studded Career, four-player split-screen, innovative online modes, livery editor and more new features, DIRT 5 is the next generation of extreme racing.

SPLITSCREEN MP Up to 4 Players!:

Mode where you can build your own playground:

Tracks, I know you want TRACKS:

There are over 70 tracks. You'll play in China, Greece, Brazil, even the most United of States, and other locations. You got dynamic weather and day/night cycles. Tons of variety with plenty of different surfaces and vehicle types to drive.

Review Thread
Metacritic - 81

Other links:

Playstation Store
Xbox Store

First OT and probably last, respect to people that spend the time to do this]

drotahorror

Game is quite a mess on PC but there are definitely glimpses of great fun to be had. I really hope Codemasters clean this up in the upcoming days or weeks and don't abandon it. Certain stages look fantastic, some of the weather effects are great and some of the cars handle in a way that really suits me.

Unless you're a hardcore offroad or arcade racing fan like me, I would wait and see how this comes along.

no VR, no BUY

pull your shit together, both Codemasters and Evolution have great VR expertise and now have awesome hardware to benefit from. This is just lazy not to put the damn camera in the player head and as amateur as not having wheel support. Should be a standard display option, as 4K or splitscreen

drotahorror

no VR, no BUY

pull your shit together, both Codemasters and Evolution have great VR expertise and now have awesome hardware to benefit from. This is just lazy not to put the damn camera in the player head and as amateur as not having wheel support. Should be a standard display option, as 4K or splitscreen

They have so much to fix before even thinking about adding VR. Also, playing this in cockpit view isn't like Dirt Rally or any other rally game I've played. Honestly, cockpit is very hard to play in, there are so many elevation changes, hills, blind jumps, the FoV just doesn't work very well in anything but 3rd person imo.

Just to give an idea, here is a quick clip I recorded

So it really did end up being kind of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in the visuals department? I was wondering why certain videos looked so great, while others were ‘uh... wow.’

I think it's just the weather. Every track I've played looks great with rain/snow. When things are wet and muddy etc, it looks very solid.

Perrott

Gold Member
Is it that bad? How much have you played?
In recent history, the Dirt series peaked with Rally 1 and then started to go downhill with Rally 2 and Dirt 4. I've played them all on PS Now/PS Plus because of how much I enjoyed Rally 1, but Dirt 5 certainly doesn't look good enough considering that it is the third entry in the series since then and a 2020 game.

So, answering your question, no, I haven't played it yet, but from what I've seen, I'm not in a rush to give it a shot.

Last edited:

Certinty

Played a few hours on the One X and it’s pretty good.

Pure arcade though but that’s no surprise given how the last few numbered games have been. Game just feels like Dirt, Motorstorm and Driveclub all mashed into one.

Also, graphically it’s actually somewhat decent which surprised me given the clips I’ve seen, just hoping the Series X version is a noticeable improvement.

drotahorror

Ugh, please don't compare this mediocre racer to a masterpiece such as DriveClub.

I mean, Driveclub is my favorite racer of the xb1/ps4 gen. The weather is very comparable, and some of the devs that made DC also worked on this.

In recent history, the Dirt series peaked with Rally 1 and then started to go downhill with Rally 2 and Dirt 4. I've played them all on PS Now/PS Plus because of how much I enjoyed Rally 1, but Dirt 5 certainly doesn't look good enough considering that it is the third entry in the series since then and a 2020 game.

So, answering your question, no, I haven't played it yet, but from what I've seen, I'm not in a rush to give it a shot.

I won't argue but nearly everyone that's not obsessed with Hill Climb will say DR2.0 is superior in every way.

Sweet bro
Is it that bad? How much have you played?

From my experience the driving is very fun, of course depending on what vehicle you drive. Just like Driveclub, the driving aspect may be very polarizing. Some people HATED DC's driving model, while I felt it was the best on-road driving I'd ever experienced in an arcade racer.

Honestly, Dirt 5 is a game that I'm playing a lot like I do Dirt Rally 2.0. I pick a track and I drive the fuck out of it, time trial style, by myself. I enjoyed that in Driveclub as well.

Do you enjoy driving around, with the only goal of having fun and potentially posting a good time on the leaderboards? Then Dirt 5 is pretty good in that aspect. I find the career mode average, I found it average in DR1 and DR2 as well. I have little desire to play career in DR games. Of course this is just my personal opinion. I would check out online MP but so far I haven't found anyone playing it, or servers could be messed up. I also have only tried waiting for a minute or 2.

Last edited:

OutRun88

My game keeps freezing at the start of the very first race (Xbox). Has anyone experienced or read about this? It’s quite frustrating.

OutRun88

My game is still freezing after multiple restarts and turning off the system. It happens in both performance and visual mode.

I’m doing a fresh install to see if anything changes. I’m afraid I’ll have to request a refund if this doesn’t work.

Stuart360

I cannot believe a "nex gen" game doesn't have interior mirrors, what absolute bell piece decided that was a good idea?

QMyCsUN.jpg
I think the game was effected by covid to be honest, but still just about managed to get the game out. On PC, there are (or were at launch) missing basic options like Fullscreen, Vsync, etc, the game is the first Codemasters racer i can remember that doesnt have replays. Stability on PC is pretty bad with a lot of crashes.
To me they simply didnt have the time to add everything they wanted, the lack of replays especially show that imo.

Certinty

Well, it scratches the arcade itch, but it's no Driveclub or Motorstorm sadly.
This is precisely the issue.

A reason Motorstorm was so good was because it wasn’t confined to tracks which were surrounded by barriers, as an offroad game shouldn’t be, more room to mess around.

Meanwhile, Driveclub was confined by barriers but being a road racing game it fit well.

Put an off road racing and barriers in the same game and I fear this happens. Dirt 5 is good but it feels like it doesn’t know what it wants to be at times.

LostDonkey

I think the game was effected by covid to be honest, but still just about managed to get the game out. On PC, there are (or were at launch) missing basic options like Fullscreen, Vsync, etc, the game is the first Codemasters racer i can remember that doesnt have replays. Stability on PC is pretty bad with a lot of crashes.
To me they simply didnt have the time to add everything they wanted, the lack of replays especially show that imo.

Agree with the options, they are slowly add more post launch but I've played about 10 hours so far and haven't had a single crash on my rig.

OutRun88

I ended up getting a refund for the Xbox version due to the game freezing at the start of the first race every time.

I may pick this on Steam and give that a shot instead.

OutRun88

I picked this up for PC now instead. Wow.

After 3 races I must say I love everything about this game. The visuals, presentation, audio, soundtrack, and driving mechanics are all spot on.

Another great addition to the Dirt franchise!

10/10

Last edited:

Stuart360

Agree with the options, they are slowly add more post launch but I've played about 10 hours so far and haven't had a single crash on my rig.
Well i dont own the game yet, i was just going off what people were saying on Steam.
Plus i watched the first part of DanQ8000's playthrough, and he has 4 crashes in 4 hours -

OutRun88

I'm struggling the hell out of Ice Breaker. How can anyone win this? : U
Wait until you get to the Sprint in East Mitten.

Well i dont own the game yet, i was just going off what people were saying on Steam.
Plus i watched the first part of DanQ8000's playthrough, and he has 4 crashes in 4 hours -

I’ve played for a bit over two hours and have had zero issues on PC besides the game taken it’s sweet time to launch initially.

Miles708

In case anyone else is interested, there's a video with the performance on Base PS4 on both Performance mode and Image Quality mode

Seems like a pretty rock-solid 60fps?
OnRush was already stunning in this, DIrt 5 looks even better. I'm honestly impressed.

LostDonkey

Wait until you get to the Sprint in East Mitten.

I’ve played for a bit over two hours and have had zero issues on PC besides the game taken it’s sweet time to launch initially.
I can second this, first time I launched I wondered if it was actually going to work, but after that it launches very quickly now and getting into a race is very quick as well.

Put another few hours into it last night, still no crashes.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Is it as fun as onRush, tho? 🤔 Because onRush for me was digital ethanol.

Top Bottom