• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5 devs: Next gen GPU differences don't impact development, but have efficiencies when optimising and tuning

SynTha1

This is exactly why I just lurk around here and barely post cause there is no having a decent conversation with Xbox fans even when straight facts are thrown at them they still don't listen but will soak up every Microsoft lie they spit out smh.

JackMcGunns

So it's just emulating an Xbox One X via software?

Usually emulation takes quite a bit of resources so I don't think Microsoft is doing that as there are more efficient ways of doing BC. I'm thinking it has to be something similar to what PCs do.

The term I heard was running the software in “Compatibility mode”.

longdi

Banned
This is exactly why I just lurk around here and barely post cause there is no having a decent conversation with Xbox fans even when straight facts are thrown at them they still don't listen but will soak up every Microsoft lie they spit out smh.

Dont you find it weird some member chose to post a PC native Sekiro to compare against BC Sekiro, as if that's the be all end all?

If we want to compare in this manner, at least wait for PS5 version. What has that to do with Xbox fans, and facts? 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

geordiemp

The term I heard was running the software in “Compatibility mode”.

Thats better use of english and a better description.

If XSX or Ps5 has to emulate ps4 / Xb1 games that is a sad state of api for sure.

Compatability mode means some additional new feaures are not used, like mesh shading or VRS or ray tracing, everybody gets that.

Also even older games will have stricter set caps for things, so Arkham will be 900p on XSX unless its patched as that is teh software cap, and it will be 1080p on Ps5 as that was the ps4 software cap.

Last edited:

SynTha1

Dont you find it weird some member chose to post a PC native Sekiro to compare against BC Sekiro, as if that's the be all end all?

If we want to compare in this manner, at least wait for PS5 version. What has that to do with Xbox fans, and facts? 🤷‍♀️
Now that I do agree with but I also think its weird people keep pushing this 12 versus 10 thing and haven't seen 1 game run better on the Xbox over ps5 either 🤷‍♂️

longdi

Banned
Thats better use of english and a better description.

If XSX or Ps5 has to emulate ps4 / Xb1 games that is a sad state of api for sure. It means some additional new feaures are not used, like mesh shading or VRS or ray tracing, everybody gets that.

So do you have the status of Sekiro BC on PS5? Just what are you trying to prove here? 🤷‍♀️

Wait, have we seen Sekiro running on PS5 yet? It's a bit too early to call a victory, no? 🤷‍♀️

My guess would be just like the PS4 Pro mode but with boost mode enabled. So the framerates should be alot closet to 60FPs.

Both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X deliver an 1800p presentation, with the evidence suggesting that the Pro is using an image reconstruction technique to get to its target pixel count, but whatever approach From has chosen pays off massively - it's really difficult to tell one version from the other, even when zooming in tightly on captured screenshots, though the X does deliver marginally sharper shadows and a slight boost to overall clarity.

I can assure you that this is not the case on consoles. It's very much an unstable frame-rate usually in the upper 30s to upper 40s, but it's when you compare the two that eyebrows will raise. In most cases, the PS4 Pro version delivers a higher average frame-rate. Neither comes close to 60fps, but you can clearly see that Sony's machine has taken the lead here

Basically the XSX is running the game the same way with a kind of a boost mode.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Now that I do agree with but I also think its weird people keep pushing this 12 versus 10 thing and haven't seen 1 game run better on the Xbox over ps5 either 🤷‍♂️

Because Sony just sent out ps5 to the media, while MS has put Series X in their hands for weeks?

How do you expect to get comparisons when things are so uptight in Jimbo hands?

Zathalus

Is Yakuza in emulation mode then, I need one more laugh before signing off for tea time.

11185925503l.jpg

That's with a less graphical intensive version of the engine.

SynTha1

Because Sony just sent out ps5 to the media, while MS has put Series X in their hands for weeks?

So from the games we have seen running on both consoles and the didn't tell u which one was which, which console would u think was more powerful?

Didn't they just mess around with BC during most of that time? We've only begun to see next gen games running on the Series X. I would say wait and see what games Sony will allow them to play before coming to any conclusions.

longdi

Banned
as long as the % is large like you guys have been saying, you bet ya, if its parity, your in trouble :messenger_grinning:

I wanna see those Dealer numbers. :messenger_sad_relieved:

Well if DF fps graphs and whatnot shows in favor of Series X from the off, then its over.

If launch titles are in parity, imo it is fair to test on the next wave of games. We know XDK is way behind SDK.

Let's make it a fair fight. That way, we can sleep better at night in the firm grasp of Jason arms, knowing who's got the better eye for tech. :messenger_savoring:

longdi

Banned
longdi longdi is absolutely screwed

he’s been spouting this huge power gulf for months and in a few weeks we will see there is none, and in fact PS5 may be the best place to play even you consider the system as a whole

Let's not be too confident shall we?
Next week, we get to know of Big Navi real game clocks. That will be a nice way to kick things off. :messenger_savoring:

sircaw

Banned
Well if DF fps graphs and whatnot shows in favor of Series X from the off, then its over.

If launch titles are in parity, imo it is fair to test on the next wave of games. We know XDK is way behind SDK.

Let's make it a fair fight. That way, we can sleep better at night in the firm grasp of Jason arms, knowing who's got the better eye for tech. :messenger_savoring:

Fair fight, your not changing your tune last minute. com.

You have been on the Microsoft cool aide for how long. I expect results, i want to see those Dealer numbers your in love with.

you have got a lot to live up too, and we are not even factoring the better controller, ssd. sound engine, games and all that.

The gap better be huge or else, its time to get on your knees boy. :messenger_heart:

It really depends on how big the differences are. If it's running games at 40FPs-50FPs more like Dealer is saying then Sony has a big problem. But if it's something like the same FPS with minor and rare dips for the PS5 then it won't be a big deal. We don't know which one it will be yet.

Let's not be too confident shall we?
Next week, we get to know of Big Navi real game clocks. That will be a nice way to kick things off. :messenger_savoring:

There's also that Infinity Cache speculation as well.

Last edited:
He is not a random poster. As far as I know he is a former game programmer or something and knows what he is talking about.

Oh, a Ree insider like Matt, but still ignoring the point so?

Basically, Sekiro has been hand picked here because it had the same resolution cap between PS4Pro and Xbox One X and potentially will run better on PS5 than Xbox Series X if the former uses its RDNA2 architecture or boost mode secret sauce.

They then take this hypothetical situation and use it as evidence that PS5 is better for BC, despite the fact most games had higher resolution/frame rate settings on X1X than PS4Pro and thus will run better on XsX by default.

That's not even considering older gen games. For example Xbox Series X has FFXIII trilogy running at 4k with 16x AF and auto-HDR, PS5 can't play the games at all

Lets see how ps5 stacks up, you know there is 4k gameplay shooting arounds already for ps5......

longdi

Banned
Fair fight, your not changing your tune last minute. com.

You have been on the Microsoft cool aide for how long. I expect results, i want to see those Dealer numbers your in love with.

you have got a lot to live up too, and we are not even factoring the better controller, ssd. sound engine, games and all that.

The gap better be huge or else, its time to get on your knees boy. :messenger_heart:

It's on bae!
Oh you went from parity to a huge gap? Seems like someone getting soft down there :messenger_sunglasses:

Anyway, my predictions over the gen, Series X will get up to 35% advantage over PS5, not sure if that's huge for you. But that's my score card down.

Saying it's running like a 12TF GCN card is absolute bullshit.
The CUs didn't get smaller and it turn into a GCN card, it's a 12(.14)TF RDNA2 card, it just isn't using all of the RDNA features.

I guess they could lower the clocks to mimic the Performance of GCN CUs?

I'm not even sure if it works this way.

It's on bae!
Oh you went from parity to a huge gap? Seems like someone getting soft down there :messenger_sunglasses:

Anyway, my predictions over the gen, Series X will get up to 35% advantage over PS5, not sure if that's huge for you. But that's my score card down.

What about your predictions for the I/O? I've seen a mixed bag of them about the VA. I'm wondering if you think that Microsoft's hardware + software system will make it equal to the PS5s mostly hardware based I/O system.

geordiemp

The CUs didn't get smaller and it turn into a GCN card, it's a 12(.14)TF RDNA2 card, it just isn't using all of the RDNA features.

Optional features like VRS, Mesh shaders, Ray tracing. Note the 12 TF GCN was said by DF as an analogy, not by MS, and was intentionally vague and trying to give a simple explanation to the readers, and as always got mis understood and now we have emulating CGN lol.

All someone had to ask is what features are not being utilised. Quite simple really.

They will need some better excuses next week, cant keep peddling that.

Last edited:

SynTha1

We havent had a good comparison yet, no? 🤷‍♀️
I said the games that we have seen
running on both no comparisons just the games that both companies have shown running on the consoles which would u think was more powerful if u didn't know which company was which.

FritzJ92

How do they get the game to run with more CUs without a patch?

I remember with the PS4 Pro they needed a patch to take advantage of those extra CUs and if not they would default to he PS4s CU count.

The hyperVior layer allows games to use full GPU raw power... no optimization or RDNS2 benefits

Zathalus

Lets see how ps5 stacks up, for stable 60 FPS it needs to hit 1080 to be same....

You know there is nice ps5 gameplay shooting around on youtube in 4k60 - must be in emulation mode :messenger_sunglasses: .

YouTube video quality is not proof of anything. You can upload 1080p30 game play and have it encoded at 4k60.

Optional features like VRS, Mesh shaders, Ray tracing. Note the 12 TF GCN was said by DF as an analogy, not by MS, and was intentionally vague and trying to give a simple explanation to the readers, and as always got mis understood and now we have emulating CGN lol.

All someone had to ask is what featrures are not being utilised. Quite simple really.

They will need some better excuses next week, cant keep peddling that.
Keep ignoring the following part of the tweet:

PSA: It's confirmed that while back-compat gets 12TF of compute power, this is in compatibility mode - you *aren't* seeing the architectural improvements of RDNA 2, including its IPC boost.

You know it's pretty sad how you are so quick to disprove FUD about the PS5 but happily peddle the same nonsense about the Xbox.

geordiemp

GRCRmLT.jpg

Can post the yakuza rumors but ignore this. Thats how double standards work. Am I right?

Ps4 game runns at 1800p60, its a bait and click article guessing Ps5.

Do you read what you post ?

IPC boost, you mean work saving optional features such as VRS or IPC.

What is this magical IPC you refer to that needs to be swicthed on by the game code ? You realise the last AMD paper has infinity cache at 22 % IPC, but thats invisible to game code.

Do you think consoles have infinity cache ? Do you understand how it works and the cache vs IPC gains vs workload ?

Did you see a common L1 cache at XSX Hotchips. Do you even know what IPC RDNA2 is ?

Last edited:

geordiemp

Doing what you do. 4k/60 xsx vs 1800/60 ps5.

Just like the other disingenuous posts you make, screenshotting a specific dip to put off as an average.

Arm chair engineers are hilarious

Try reading the article, 1800p60 is ps4 you numbskull. They are guessing ps5 will be same...

It achieves a peak of 4K on the Xbox One X and 1800p on the PS4 Pro. Based on this analysis, we can put the upper limit of the resolution for PS5 at 1800p.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

RDNA2 CUs have 62% more transistors according to Cerny, the boost in size is because of the added features that are not utilized when running in compatibility mode, so it’s not that the CUs shrunk, but rather a large portion of the CUs are not being utilized.

One doesn’t just pop an Xbox or PS game in a PC and it simply works, it needs to be optimized using an API, a process that didn’t occur for the Xbox in BC which is simply running in compatibility mode.

Since everyone here is making predictions and the thread isn't really about dirt anymore my prediction is going to be that depending on the game one console will have the edge over another and there will be games where there are different positives on each platform. But I also predict that the exclusive games PS5 gets will be among the best looking games of the generation.

sircaw

Banned
It's on bae!

The parity is for ps5 getting close to xbox, xbox is meant to be miles ahead remember.

35% is that it, 51 frames extra was mentioned, what kind of xbox bot are you.

Btw, Amazon sells knee pads, i checked for you. :messenger_heart:

geordiemp

Ohhh insults after the baiting has failed. Done replying to an uneducated fanboy pretending to be an engineer.

I am an qualified engineer thanks, you are the un educated one, your posts give me a good laugh though. Ta.

Watching posters who do not understand hardware or software is quite funny at times.

GCN emulation is my favourite, love it.

Last edited:

Concern

Isn't that BC though? If I'm not wrong Yakuza is being programmed for the Series X/S and the PS5s hardware. Not exactly the same as running a game through BC.

Point is these are all rumors. Of course the fanboy will only post the one that makes his console superior and boast like its a trophy.

The hyperVior layer allows games to use full GPU raw power... no optimization or RDNS2 benefits

So basically it's a layer that does the CU distribution automatically. Ok that makes more sense to me. If the developers released a patch they could take advantage of the RDNA2 hardware.

Thanks for the clarification.

Zathalus

Ps4 game runns at 1800p60, its a bait and click article guessing Ps5.

Do you read what you post ?

IPC boost, you mean work saving optional features such as VRS or IPC.

What is this magical IPC you refer to that needs to be swicthed on by the game code ? You realise the last AMD paper has infinity cache at 22 % IPC, but thats invisible to game code.

Do you think consoles have infinity cache ? Do you understand how it works and the cache vs IPC gains vs workload ?

Did you see a common L1 cache at XSX Hotchips. Do you even know what IPC RDNA2 is ?

I'm taking Microsoft at their word, just like I took Sony at their word. I have no reason to put on a tinfoil hat and pretend I know better then them or think they are trying to hide something.

Top Bottom