• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5 | 2.00 Patch Comparison PS5 Vs Xbox Series X/S

HoofHearted

VRS is a part of RDNA2.

"It enables us to turn ALL the features up to 11". You believe that is limited to a photo mode? :messenger_smirking:

I feel you're being deliberately obtuse now.

“enable“ is the key word here. I’m fully aware of the RDNA2 feature set.

The fact still remains that the article you referenced doesn’t explicitly state that VRS is “enabled” in Dirt 5.

Perhaps you should actually look into supporting your arguments with actual data instead of using fancy words to insult people.

ethomaz

Banned
Isnt time of day the exact same thing others said about some of PS5 pics posted in here?

🤷‍♀️
They are different ToD.
That is why colors and reflections are different.

I said it in my very first post in reply to the OP claims.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
“enable“ is the key word here. I’m fully aware of the RDNA2 feature set.

The fact still remains that the article you referenced doesn’t explicitly state that VRS is “enabled” in Dirt 5.

Perhaps you should actually look into supporting your arguments with actual data instead of using fancy words to insult people.

Respectfully disagree that it's not enabled.

Just one further point that I would make, AMD and Codemasters closely collaborated together for Dirt 5. They were both very vocal about it. There is a YouTube video put out by them which deep delves into the technical aspects of Dirt 5, it includes a demonstration of how VRS is used, if still interested would suggest watching that.

But I would have thought the games technical lead hyping up RDNA2 features being set at 11 would have sufficed.

Fredrik

They are different ToD.
That is why colors and reflections are different.

I said it in my very first post in reply to the OP claims.
Cool so you finally bought the game, I remember you being concerned about the fps drops earlier, how bad are they?

ethomaz

Banned
Cool so you finally bought the game, I remember you being concerned about the fps drops earlier, how bad are they?
I don't have the game lol I don't like Arcade racers lol
The pics/video shows it.

The fps was confirmed to have dropped on Graphic Mode after patch 2.00 on PS5.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Oh sorry thought you had double checked yourself. Why haven’t you bought it though? I can tell you it’s more fun than just talking about it 👍
It just that I don't like Arcade races unless it is something like fantasy play with weapons like Mario Kart or WipEout.
I'm more in to sim racers.
Just personal preference... from what I read the game is very good... it is just not a looker.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

Respectfully disagree that it's not enabled.

Just one further point that I would make, AMD and Codemasters closely collaborated together for Dirt 5. They were both very vocal about it. There is a YouTube video put out by them which deep delves into the technical aspects of Dirt 5, it includes a demonstration of how VRS is used, if still interested would suggest watching that.

But I would have thought the games technical lead hyping up RDNA2 features being set at 11 would have sufficed.

Im also fully aware of the collaboration between AMD / Codemasters / Microsoft regarding these latest features. If you have the link to the video where it has the developer noting that they’ve enabled VRS for XSS/X - I’d love to watch it.

To be clear - I’m not disagreeing that the feature isn’t there nor that it’s potentially enabled in this particular game... just looking for verification (which may not be available).

I will quote the exact verbiage again to be clearer...

“its RDNA 2 GPU is going to enable us to turn all the features up to 11”

There‘s quite a difference between stating something is enabled versus “going to enable”...

Just because a hardware or software feature is available to be enabled doesn’t necessarily mean that the developer took the time to implement it...

If you really think that Dirt5 is a true full end-state representation of a game implementing the full RDNA2 feature set - then this generation is over before it has begun.

Last edited:
$120 per year, so the price of two to three games. I have certainly played more than that over the past year.
Ok, but how many of those did you have to buy anyway? And if you played them all on gamepass and you want to replay one or two of them... How many will you buy anyway? (the rotation is pretty heavy on gamepass)... Then count that for 5 years where in one case you keep the games you buy.

Also, there are a lot of AAA games that are worth 10$ - 20$ in no time, 120$ is 2 games if you play only MS exclusives, which is laughable.

Obviously,if you play their 200 games and this is all you play all the time you can argue that this is good value, but then again.. after a while you would have bought the games you really like anyway.

Riky

$MSFT
Im also fully aware of the collaboration between AMD / Codemasters / Microsoft regarding these latest features. If you have the link to the video where it has the developer noting that they’ve enabled VRS for XSS/X - I’d love to watch it.

To be clear - I’m not disagreeing that the feature isn’t there nor that it’s potentially enabled in this particular game... just looking for verification (which may not be available).

I will quote the exact verbiage again to be clearer...

“its RDNA 2 GPU is going to enable us to turn all the features up to 11”

There‘s quite a difference between stating something is enabled versus “going to enable”...

Just because a hardware or software feature is available to be enabled doesn’t necessarily mean that the developer took the time to implement it...

If you really think that Dirt5 is a true full end-state representation of a game implementing the full RDNA2 feature set - then this generation is over before it has begun.

The dev also said in his Twitter response to DF that they have a lot more to come. Then in a subsequent interview he stated the game will look very different when they have finished so these breakdowns won't be relevant.
I can see the RDNA2 features being incorporated into the Xbox Series versions in the future.

v_iHuGi

Banned
The dev also said in his Twitter response to DF that they have a lot more to come. Then in a subsequent interview he stated the game will look very different when they have finished so these breakdowns won't be relevant.
I can see the RDNA2 features being incorporated into the Xbox Series versions in the future.

The features are already there, SX simply lacks the horse power to match Ps5.

Fredrik

It just that I don't like Arcade races unless it is something like fantasy play with weapons like Mario Kart or WipEout.
I'm more in to sim racers.
Just personal preference... from what I read the game is very good... it is just not a looker.
I get you but trust me, it looks great in motion! And I feel like the HDR gets completely lost on youtube videos somehow, it just looks dull, everywhere, but looks pretty awesome on the big TV if you ask me. Forza Horizon 4 is cleaner and has cooler scenery physics/demolition but Dirt 5 is not far behind as a total package with all the particles flying about and weather effects etc. Personally I enjoy this more than the serious previous Dirt games, and this comes from someone with a triple screen racing rig. To me it plays like Rallisport Challenge controlwise combined with the hectic nature of Motorstorm and some sweet drifting from Sega Rally.
There are some races that barely work though but you don’t need to perfect them all to progress.

HoofHearted

Agreed - it’d be interesting to see this confirmed with this latest patch - might would partially explain the notable differences in the garage scenes from the latest comparison video - who knows? 😀

v_iHuGi

Banned
Agreed - it’d be interesting to see this confirmed with this latest patch - might would partially explain the notable differences in the garage scenes from the latest comparison video - who knows? 😀

uh what? lmao

Series Console will never match Ps5, let alone exceed it. Setting yourself for dissapointment again and again.

dcmk7

Banned
They said something along the lines of more single player & multiplayer features to come.

In a similar vein to Gran Turismo Sport. Not big technical updates.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Also at 13:30:

nrynMbj.jpg

FPS mode takes a bigger hit on XSX than PS5 at all points apparently.

There is no secret sauce, SX bottlenecks already showing, it will get even worse from here...

Riky

$MSFT
They said something along the lines of more single player & multiplayer features to come.

In a similar vein to Gran Turismo Sport. Not big technical updates.

" we will be continuing to optimise and improve performance and stability during that service. So a screenshot of what the game looks like right now or after the patch comes out may not be the same by the time we’ve finished anyway."

Wrong again.

dcmk7

Banned
" we will be continuing to optimise and improve performance and stability during that service. So a screenshot of what the game looks like right now or after the patch comes out may not be the same by the time we’ve finished anyway."

Wrong again.

So basically bug fixes :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Where does it say they will be adding VRS into the game?

Or alternatively the quote that Dirt 5 doesn't have VRS right now.

If you could provide some actual facts for once that would be refreshing change of pace.

v_iHuGi

Banned
This sort of stupidity should be bannable.

Wait, you want me to be banned from saying facts?? What should be bannable is telling lies which for sure i´m not telling. But does not fit your agenda, you want this to be ERA, everyone with the same opinion and don´t even bother to think differently. You´re one of the guys saying SX would destroy Ps5 i see, well now we know what i always said from my sources and even LawMoore, that Ps5 is a different beast.

Disappointed Devin Nunes GIF by GIPHY News

Riky

$MSFT
So basically bug fixes :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Where does it say they will be adding VRS into the game?

Or alternatively the quote that Dirt 5 doesn't have VRS right now.

If you could provide some actual facts for once that would be refreshing change of pace.

You claimed you could, but couldn't😅

He says the game won't look the same when finished, so you're wrong again.

Leyasu

Banned
Wait, you want me to be banned from saying facts?? What should be bannable is telling lies which for sure i´m not telling. But does not fit your agenda, you want this to be ERA, everyone with the same opinion and don´t even bother to think differently. You´re one of the guys saying SX would destroy Ps5 i see, well now we know what i always said from my sources and even LawMoore, that Ps5 is a different beast.

Disappointed Devin Nunes GIF by GIPHY News
No, you’re blatantly trolling. Because nobody is that stupid

Fredrik

It was not confirmed . Just a tweet from John.he said the same for ACV and he was wrong .so don't take his tweet as some gospel

Doesn’t anyone here own the PS5 version and can check the framerate? Seems weird to need confirmation from DF for something basic like frame drops. Judging by some comments I’ve seen elsewhere it seems broken now but I can’t tell if it’s just console war nonsense. Somebody should just simply start the game and check.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I have provided lots to indicate VRS is there.

You state otherwise but only provide a tweet about future bug fixing patches and some additional SP and MP content that may or may not come :messenger_tears_of_joy:

lying simon rex GIF by Simon Rex / Dirt Nasty

You've supplied nothing, not a single shred of evidence that VRS is in the Xbox version, just a pre release quote about how they are going to make the game look good😂😂

I've provided a quote from the Dev stating the game won't be the same when they've finished.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
You've supplied nothing, not a single shred of evidence that VRS is in the Xbox version, just a pre release quote about how they are going to make the game look good😂😂

Maybe try reading the article :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Friendly tip, actually back up your claims otherwise they are just unsubstantiated nonsense.

Having a feeling something isn't there in a game isn't evidence.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Maybe try reading the article :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Friendly tip, actually back up your claims otherwise they are just unsubstantiated nonsense.

Having a feeling something isn't there in a game isn't evidence.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I've read it.

You have not one source that VRS is in the Xbox version, not one. Not from the Dev,not from a technical breakdown nothing.

dcmk7

Banned
I've read it.

You have not one source that VRS is in the Xbox version, not one. Not from the Dev,not from a technical breakdown nothing.

triggered GIF

Come on relax man, don't know why so personally invested in this.

The technical lead says in an Xbox focused article that RDNA2 features will be set to 11. VRS is an RDNA2 feature right?

It's widely understood Codemasters and AMD collaborated closely. Even a YT video about VRS in the game.

For the umpteenth time where is your proof that it's not present? I am patiently waiting for that.

The tweet about bug fixes and future SP and MP content doesn't count by the way :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
triggered GIF

Come on relax man, don't know why so personally invested in this.

The technical lead says in an Xbox focused article that RDNA2 features will be set to 11. VRS is an RDNA2 feature right?

It's widely understood Codemasters and AMD collaborated closely. Even a YT video about VRS in the game.

For the umpteenth time where is your proof that it's not present? I am patiently waiting for that.

The tweet about bug fixes and future SP and MP content doesn't count by the way :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Your really not that bright.

RDNA2 features are more than one feature, there is nothing that says that VRS is used in the Xbox version, nothing, not from the Dev or from one of the many technical breakdowns we've had, nothing at all.

The video talks about the PC version, this has been stated numerous times, it's not hard.

VRS lowers texture resolution , go look at the Halo Infinite breakdown, it's pretty obvious on still screenshots, but nobody has seen it on Dirt 5. the Dev says himself there are performance updates to come, not just extra content, read the quote. He also says the game won't look the same when they've finished when specifically talking about the technical breakdowns, it's pretty obvious what he's saying.

dcmk7

Banned

RDNA2 features are more than one feature, there is nothing that says that VRS is used in the Xbox version, nothing, not from the Dev or from one of the many technical breakdowns we've had, nothing at all.

The video talks about the PC version, this has been stated numerous times, it's not hard.

VRS lowers texture resolution , go look at the Halo Infinite breakdown, it's pretty obvious on still screenshots, but nobody has seen it on Dirt 5. the Dev says himself there are performance updates to come, not just extra content, read the quote. He also says the game won't look the same when they've finished when specifically talking about the technical breakdowns, it's pretty obvious what he's saying.
You're*

dcmk7

Banned

I think that personal attack is pretty uncalled for.

Like I said earlier don't know why you get invested (and seemingly emotionally) in conversations that you disagree with.

Just provide some facts will you next time.

Don't state something as fact based on a feeling or a screenshot for goodness sake.

oldergamer

VRS does NOT lower texture resolution. Where did you get that idea from?? also why are you insulting people?

Its variable rate "SHADING", not texturing.

Last edited:
C'mon man, 1 month into the generation and claiming things wont improve for SX

danger 5 laughing GIF

I do agree that things will improve for both. However, if there's a hardware bottleneck in either system it will remain an issue for the rest of the generation. Kind of like how the X1s ram configuration was a problem for the entire gen.

We have to wait and see if those speculated bottlenecks even exist.

I do agree that things will improve for both. However, if there's a hardware bottleneck in either system it will remain an issue for the rest of the generation. Kind of like how the X1s ram configuration was a problem for the entire gen.

We have to wait and see if those speculated bottlenecks even exist.

What are the speculated bottlenecks in the XsX?

geordiemp

Local data share and parameter cache being shared by 10 CU is common bottleneck in Ps4 as stated by Cerny himself for gaming for starters. There are others. This is fact not speculation.

So I would imagine 14 CU sharing LDS and param cache in each shader array on XSX might be just a bit worse for gaming

Here you go on Ps4 bottlenecks with 10 CU sharing caches and local stores in an array

SDwIryg.png

Last edited:

There's several that's been speculated upon.

Like how the split ram could be an issue or how the CUs are starved because there's more than 10 of them in each shader array.

The other day someone on MLD said a developer complained to him about the XSX ram setup. I'm not sure if he made that up or not.

As for the starved CUs that's just pure speculation from people here.

Now I don't believe either system is bottleneck free but some bottlenecks are worse than others.

Shmunter

I definitely will get this game on PS5, but are treading carefully till it gets a clean bill of health.

Cold War is a buggy mess and all I hear is crickets chirping. Appreciate it’s Christmas time, but a game of that magnitude you’d expect 24/7/365 support. In comparison this small time racer may not see a fix for months if ever.

Top Bottom