• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5 | 2.00 Patch Comparison PS5 Vs Xbox Series X/S

DJ12

Runs at locked 60fps 99.9% of the time on XSX. I’ve seen some drops for like a second or two in the first crowded turn on some snow tracks, but that’s it.
I was referring to the version they've fixed, aka 120fps mode.

Performance and quality mode already ran the higher detail settings if memory serves.

Performance and quality mode already ran the higher detail settings if memory serves.
Yea 120fps was lower setting than ps5 . The other 2 mode were similar to ps5 just they ran abit worse with drops when there were too many cars or spectator . The texture was lower quality which it still is in the performance and quality mode .

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Does Dirt 5 have more comparison videos created then copies sold now? So many people trying to claim some weird victory over minor unnoticeable differences on an unimpressive cross gen title no one even played.

cyen

Does Dirt 5 have more comparison videos created then copies sold now? So many people trying to claim some weird victory over minor unnoticeable differences on an unimpressive cross gen title no one even played.

I would bet no one would find differences between both if played side by side. But hey, more amno for console warriors.

geordiemp

Pervasive fine clock gating is very likely in both consoles. It's one of the big reasons that RDNA2 gets the ~50% generational performance-per-Watt improvement over RDNA1. It's very unlikely that either GPU does not have it, considering the power draw that has been tested on both.

No, XSX has static clocks. Go look up what Pervasive and fine clock gating means.

I've explained that many times, go through my posts and knock yourself out. And you literally said it was designed like a server and then you probably had a cry when you the textures were patched in and everyone had a good laugh

The XSX CPU is server class, MS said so and its CU arrangement is also server arrangement, thats why 52 CU is just about matching 36 CU if thats not too hard a concept for you.

Crying, how old are you son ?

No you have not shown any understanding in any post.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Pervasive fine clock gating is very likely in both consoles. It's one of the big reasons that RDNA2 gets the ~50% generational performance-per-Watt improvement over RDNA1. It's very unlikely that either GPU does not have it, considering the power draw that has been tested on both.
So MS is lying about the fixed clocks?
Because either you have Pervasive fine clock or fixed clock.
MS was very load about the clock being fixed.

why do people think dirt uses VRS

i am pretty sure no game out right now uses VRS
Because Dev, MS and AMD confirmed it.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Ya know, I keep seeing this come up. But....once again, this exact same thing happened the past 2 gens for home consoles. Yes, I agree 100% its alot closer than before "its the closest 2 consoles have ever been"

At some point, it is what it is. You win some, you lose some. The PS5 is like the lil engine that could. It shouldn't need that analogy but some folks see it that way.

Also...seems some ppl called it saying some jumped the gun after the XSX patch because there were no comparisons.

Last edited:
Only the word of Andrew Goossen is trusted around in this place these days. Gotta watch out for them turncoats and Sony double agents posing as neutral....

Last edited:
Are you certain they aren't talking about PC? World of Warcraft and Godfall aren't on Xbox. PC and Xbox don't run the same code. Or since it is running for Godfall that means PS5 has VRS?
The whole point is that gdk used for the development on pc and xbox .so if its on pc it's on xbox feature wise.nx gamer also said it has it . Makes sense

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Another patch comparison about a Game nobody does care about and will never buy.
Could the Covid be responsible for this ?
I got this on the current sale at $40 and have no regrets. Was looking for a couch multiplayer game and it supports 2-4 players. It may not be the best looking game in existence but we've had a ton of fun playing it multiplayer. Scratches the itch for an arcade racer if you want something that isn't sim heavy. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Dibils2k

The whole point is that gdk used for the development on pc and xbox .so if its on pc it's on xbox feature wise.nx gamer also said it has it . Makes sense
no he didn't, i watched the vid, he just says "might" and where he says that, it looks more like low AF then anything else.

yet to see anything that confirms VRS on xbox series

Dibils2k

Wut? MS said that DIRT is using VRS and that it was a game changer because their Console it´s FULL RDNA 2. They even sent a press release lmao.
care to link me to this press release?

from my experience people on the internet have tendency to take away from things what they want to take away, not the actual facts so i have started just asking for actual references so i can actually get accurate info

Last edited:

Zathalus

No, XSX has static clocks. Go look up what Pervasive and fine clock gating means.
Clock gating has got nothing to do with if a processor is running at a static or variable frequency. It's nothing more than a power reduction technique. The more fine the clock gating is implemented, the greater the power savings. It's one of the major factors driving the performance-per-watt gains of RDNA2. Clock gating has been around since forever, and is used to deactivate certain parts of the GPU when not in use. Running a GPU at a static frequency does not suddenly prevent it from benefitting from it.

So MS is lying about the fixed clocks?
Because either you have Pervasive fine clock or fixed clock.
MS was very load about the clock being fixed.

Because Dev, MS and AMD confirmed it.

See above.

Last edited:
no he didn't, i watched the vid, he just says "might" and where he says that, it looks more like low AF then anything else.

yet to see anything that confirms VRS on xbox series
Again we know it's on pc and pc used the same dev kit as xsx (GDK). U put them together and u know the answer. No one will confirm a feature like vrs that makes game arguably uglier.

ethomaz

Banned
did you mean Gears Tactics? i know PC version has VRS, does the console use it though?
Gears 5 on Series X.

jpg

"A visualisation of VRS in a Gears 5 frame. Red tiles are rendered at full resolution, green at half resolution while yellow is half horizontal or half vertical resolution."

Dirt 5 uses VRS on Series X too... there is probably more games.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Clock gating has got nothing to do with if a processor is running at a static or variable frequency. It's nothing more than a power reduction technique. The more fine the clock gating is implemented, the greater the power savings. It's one of the major factors driving the performance-per-watt gains of RDNA2. Clock gating has been around since forever, and is used to deactivate certain parts of the GPU when not in use. Running a GPU at a static frequency does not suddenly prevent it from benefitting from it.

See above.
You can't have fine-grained clock with fixed clocks.
The whole ideia of fine grain clock is to underclock the units to reduce power usage... if you have static clocks you can't fine grain.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I got this on the current sale at $40 and have no regrets. Was looking for a couch multiplayer game and it supports 2-4 players. It may not be the best looking game in existence but we've had a ton of fun playing it multiplayer. Scratches the itch for an arcade racer if you want something that isn't sim heavy. 🤷‍♂️
Good, this sound like my kind of game. Like me some the arcade racers. I'm not into the sims racers.

HoofHearted

did you mean Gears Tactics? i know PC version has VRS, does the console use it though?
Pretty sure DF noted some utilization of VRS in Gears 5 patch video several weeks ago - but it was very limited and sparsely. Haven’t seen official confirmation of VRS in DiRT other than what was noted earlier (thought that was PC only not console).

Zathalus

You can't have fine-grained clock with fixed clocks.
The whole ideia of fine grain clock is to underclock the units to reduce power usage.
It's not fine-grained clocks, it's fine-grained clock gating. Clock gating is not tied to the frequency of a specific processor. Even the Pentium 4 had it as a feature, although primitive in comparison. This is one of the major reasons that RDNA 2 has the power savings that it has, and both the XSX and PS5 follow suit.

This is not a performance related feature, merely one that allows the GPUs to use less power.

Variable clocks and clock gating are not the same thing.

Refer once again to the paper here. Tests were done on a i5-2500K 3.3 GHz which was running at a static frequency.

HoofHearted

I’ll just wait until it’s released on GP/EAP. 😀

Sethbacca

Good, this sound like my kind of game. Like me some the arcade racers. I'm not into the sims racers.
Yeah, it's pretty solid and I'd say worth it while on sale. It also makes pretty solid use of the ps5 triggers by having them bump with jumps and gravel in the road and stuff.

Fredrik

They’ve done work on all modes. Right now it’s about as flawless 60fps as you’ll ever get, before the framerate was a ton more unstable. I can’t spot what they’ve changed though, the ground do look blurry before the race start but I have no way to compare with the previous version. Anyway once you’re off racing you can’t see details anyway then you only notice the smoothness. Looks stunning in motion now!

Judging by the talk the PS5 version has somewhat problematic framerate issues instead now, so that’s something they need to look at now. No Christmas break for these guys. :/

This is one area where PC gaming absolutely kills console gaming. Now people are cranky and wants a new patch, on PC they could’ve just lowered an unimportant setting from ultra to high and kept playing.

DJ12

They’ve done work on all modes. Right now it’s about as flawless 60fps as you’ll ever get, before the framerate was a ton more unstable. I can’t spot what they’ve changed though, the ground do look blurry before the race start but I have no way to compare with the previous version. Anyway once you’re off racing you can’t see details anyway then you only notice the smoothness. Looks stunning in motion now!

Judging by the talk the PS5 version has somewhat problematic framerate issues instead now, so that’s something they need to look at now. No Christmas break for these guys. :/

This is one area where PC gaming absolutely kills console gaming. Now people are cranky and wants a new patch, on PC they could’ve just lowered an unimportant setting from ultra to high and kept playing.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with what I said, I am wondering what the performance hit is in 120 FPS mode now there's almost parity with the settings for PS5.

Fredrik

Which has absolutely nothing to do with what I said, I am wondering what the performance hit is in 120 FPS mode now there's almost parity with the settings for PS5.
You made it sound like the 120fps was the only thing that was fixed. Sadly I can’t comment on the 120fps mode but I think we would’ve heard if it was broken. Then again with VRR it’s not easy to notice fps judder so who knows 🤷‍♂️

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

Its not flawless on image quality mode on SX but its certainly at lot better than it was whilst pushing a higher resolution. Some courses are slightly worse than others as you get deeper in the game.

I'm confused about something. How does that technology work in a console with fixed clocks?

I always thought the purpose of pervasive clock grating was to be able to change the clocks extremely quickly. That way the change can happen so quickly that it's imperceptible to the end user.

I'm not sure how something like that works with and system with fixed clocks.

Maybe you have a good explanation for it?

Are you certain they aren't talking about PC? World of Warcraft and Godfall aren't on Xbox. PC and Xbox don't run the same code. Or since it is running for Godfall that means PS5 has VRS?

Isn't VRS a DirectX12U feature?

I don't see why Sonys API would use it.

Both Dirt 5 on the PC and XSX/XSS use DirectX12U which is why some people are speculating that it's being used on the Xbox.

It's already been confirmed for the PC version so I don't see what would stop them from using it in the Xbox version. But that's just me.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
- I have restarted the game every time I changed the display mode to avoid possible errors.
- Higher resolution of textures on PS5.
- Now vegetation is only affected in S Series depending on the display mode.
- Rain lighting appears to be different on PS5.
- Resolution is virtually identical on PS5 / Series X.
- The reflections on some standard models are different between PS5 and Xbox.
- Less anisotropic filtering in Series S.
- Series S has less NPCS. Neither version has npcs in FPS mode.
- Reflections on some vehicles are different in each version.
- The FPS has been impossible for me to measure since I have not made this video in my usual workplace.
- The ambient occlusion in PS5 seems somewhat more noticeable in some points such as vegetation.
He updated the description.

Zathalus

I'm confused about something. How does that technology work in a console with fixed clocks?

I always thought the purpose of pervasive clock grating was to be able to change the clocks extremely quickly. That way the change can happen so quickly that it's imperceptible to the end user.

I'm not sure how something like that works with and system with fixed clocks.

Maybe you have a good explanation for it?
Clock gating is not tied to the frequency, but the ability to selectively switch off parts (Registers) of the GPU rapidly when not in use. Fine clock gating just means the control of clock gating goes down to the gate level. It is a bit more complex than just adjusting the clock frequency. The Wikipedia article has a good overview of it as well.

Since this is such an integral part of the RDNA2 architecture, and since both consoles demonstrate the same performance-per-watt gains of the RX 6000 series, it seems logical to conclude both have them.

That being said, if a console has it or does not have it has no bearing on the performance of the console, just how much power it would draw to reach that specific performance target. This is not the magical "secret sauce" for why the PS5 is performing better or on par with the XSX.

Last edited:
This is not the magical "secret sauce" for why the PS5 is performing better or on par with the XSX.

So what is the secret sauce if you think it really exists? There's has to be an explanation to why the systems are so close and "just tools" seems like an excuse to me at this point.

Zathalus

So what is the secret sauce if you think it really exists? There's has to be an explanation to why the systems are so close and "just tools" seems like an excuse to me at this point.
Frankly a large amount of factors. I don't think it is one single thing that is the cause of it, but a bunch of things together that all add up. Some off the top of my head:

- Higher GPU clock, this has obvious benefits like faster cache speeds, higher fill-rate, all parts of the GPU running faster. Mark Cerny was right on the money when he said "A rising tide lifts all boats".
- GPU cache scrubbers, these appear unique to the PS5 and likely make the GPU that much more efficient.
- 36 CU is easier to saturate then 52 CU.
- A better balanced GPU, the XSX is very compute heavy, other parts of the GPU are equal or better on the PS5 due to the high clocks.
- Higher L2 cache per compute unit (5MB for 52 CU's vs 4MB for 36CU's).
- Possible unified L3 on the CPU side for the PS5.
- Better API.
- Developers have had the dev kits longer than the Xbox ones.
- Only one spec to target.
- Not having to learn an entire new development kit (XDK vs GDK).
- Easier memory system to work with.

Honestly I think as time goes by, the difference between consoles on multi-plats are going to be small. The exclusives on each are where the respective systems strengths will shine.

PS5 does have the controller advantage, but some people prefer the stick layout of the Xbox.

Personally I already own both, so whichever wins, I win!

Frankly a large amount of factors. I don't think it is one single thing that is the cause of it, but a bunch of things together that all add up. Some off the top of my head:

- Higher GPU clock, this has obvious benefits like faster cache speeds, higher fill-rate, all parts of the GPU running faster. Mark Cerny was right on the money when he said "A rising tide lifts all boats".
- GPU cache scrubbers, these appear unique to the PS5 and likely make the GPU that much more efficient.
- 36 CU is easier to saturate then 52 CU.
- A better balanced GPU, the XSX is very compute heavy, other parts of the GPU are equal or better on the PS5 due to the high clocks.
- Higher L2 cache per compute unit (5MB for 52 CU's vs 4MB for 36CU's).
- Possible unified L3 on the CPU side for the PS5.
- Better API.
- Developers have had the dev kits longer than the Xbox ones.
- Only one spec to target.
- Not having to learn an entire new development kit (XDK vs GDK).
- Easier memory system to work with.

Honestly I think as time goes by, the difference between consoles on multi-plats are going to be small. The exclusives on each are where the respective systems strengths will shine.

PS5 does have the controller advantage, but some people prefer the stick layout of the Xbox.

Personally I already own both, so whichever wins, I win!

Probably is a combination of things like you said. Just found it a little pathetic when tools was said to be the only reason when there's a lot more to performance than just teraflops. I guess many don't understand how these systems actually work because most of us are not experts in the industry.

But whatever the situation both systems seem very powerful to me and I don't think anyone should be disappointed in them. Unless someone gets an XSS as a present when they want an XSX that is.

:messenger_winking_tongue:

DJ12

Isn't VRS a DirectX12U feature?

I don't see why Sonys API would use it.

Both Dirt 5 on the PC and XSX/XSS use DirectX12U which is why some people are speculating that it's being used on the Xbox.

It's already been confirmed for the PC version so I don't see what would stop them from using it in the Xbox version. But that's just me.
No it's a hardware feature.

People think it's a DX feature as MS patented their implementation for use in Direct X. This doesn't stop Vulkan, OpenGL and of course AMD, Sony, Nintendo or anyone else for that implementing VRS themselves.

AMD 2019 VRS Patent ( and the others ) : PS5 (reddit.com)

He updated the description.
It was there in the comments section when he made the video, so nothing new

Last edited:

Fredrik

Its not flawless on image quality mode on SX but its certainly at lot better than it was whilst pushing a higher resolution. Some courses are slightly worse than others as you get deeper in the game.
It’s flawless enough I’d say, if you can say such a thing lol
I haven’t finished the career though but I’ve come a long way, so far I’ve only noticed dips for like a second or two at the first crowded turn, as the field spreads out the fps drops has gone away completely. Honestly, if there is a small texture assets differences at this point then I hope they keep it that way, I don’t want anything minor I won’t notice anyway ruining things now that it’s finally running well.
They should focus on making sprint races working instead! 🤬

Top Bottom